Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,596 members, 7,809,166 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 02:22 AM

Moving To Lagos! What Should I Know? - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Moving To Lagos! What Should I Know? (2944 Views)

The Ijaws That I Know / Advantages Of Moving To Abuja If You Are Looking To Migrate To Nigeria / Your Thoughts On African Americans Moving Back To Africa. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Moving To Lagos! What Should I Know? by Yaara: 7:25pm On Mar 03, 2012
Greetings! I'm an American woman preparing to move to Lagos for three years with my job. Until now, my international work has mainly been in Latin America and Eastern Europe, and my employer is "trusting me to train myself" about Nigerian history, culture, and politics. I'm doing my best to immerse myself in Nigerian fiction and am enjoying it very much so far.

I would be so grateful if you would take the time to make some recommendations. What do you think the best non-fiction books about Nigeria and Africa are? What is the one modern book of fiction that you would recommend to me? (I love Chinua Achebe and Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie, but I know that there are so many more good authors out there.) And, do you have any words of advice?

I'm very excited about moving to Lagos! smiley I can hardly wait.

Many many thanks to you all,
Yaara
Re: Moving To Lagos! What Should I Know? by Nobody: 8:56pm On Mar 03, 2012
Cool. Lagos has its share of troubles though, but I bet you'd enjoy it if you chose the right location.

Books you can read are numerous. If you care for stories, you can read Cyprian Ekwensi, a prolific Nigerian author. His books are easy to read and inform quite significantly about Nigerian culture. Sefi Atta is also good. if you enjoyed Adichie, you might find Atta quite interesting too.
if you care to understand the politics of the country, its military history and all that is wrong about that, then Wole Soyinka is a good read. Pick "Ake" or "the man died". His play "The Lion and the Jewel" is a masterpiece. It informs about local customs. Provides humour too.
Teju Cole is a new writer in Nigerian space, but his books are also quite interesting.

Ben Okri moulds magical realism out of local customs. His award winning masterpiece "The Famished Road" is definitely worth reading. Helon Habila is from the new breed. I don't particularly like his books (I don't like Adichie's either), but they (both) are interesting anywyz.
If you are a fan of plays, Ahmed Yerima is good to consult. Prolific writer, award winner. . . .

There are also lots and lots of books, criticisms and poetry in the Nigerian space. Rather unknown writers can even give you the reading pleasure you desire. When you get to Lagos, enquire about Jazzhole http://www.facebook.com/pages/Jazzhole/172837166078863. You'll find several interesting books there. Silverbird Galleria and Palms Lekki are also a places good books are sold. But these are for the elite.

If you can dare it, go to CMS, Yaba or Ikeja. There you'd find several old and new bookshops where fantastic (though sometimes pirated, and oftentimes old) books are sold. I doubt if you'd find anyone of these drab or dull!

Best of luck living in Lagos!
Re: Moving To Lagos! What Should I Know? by Nobody: 8:58pm On Mar 03, 2012
If you need more help looking for books and need to enquire about something, Nairaland is good to use. You can also drop your questions here! grin
Re: Moving To Lagos! What Should I Know? by Yaara: 10:02pm On Mar 03, 2012
Wow! Sauer, thanks so much! Those should keep me busy for a while. grin

I will probably be back with more and more and more questions. I'm due to arrive in Lagos the first week of July. Everyone tells me that the food there is wonderful, especially for people like me who adore spicy food, and that the people are welcoming and funny, and that I'm going to have the best time of my life. I know there are difficulties, but I'm counting the days.

Thanks again,
Yaara
Re: Moving To Lagos! What Should I Know? by Nobody: 10:27am On Mar 04, 2012
You more than welcome and you can always post your questions here! wink
Re: Moving To Lagos! What Should I Know? by MissIfe(f): 5:39pm On Mar 04, 2012
@Sauer, thanks so much for your post, I've been looking for such info for quite some time now, should have posted here grin

Anyway, just writing to say thanks and keep track of this post. wink
Re: Moving To Lagos! What Should I Know? by ifyalways(f): 9:59pm On Mar 04, 2012
@OP,where are you coming from?
Just to add to the other inputs,before arrival,get in touch with your community(your countrymen) living here in Lagos,read their notes.

Lagos is a lovely city and also a no-mans-land.To survive,one has to be street smart,wise and fast.You would do well too if you learn to,as much as possible,mind your business.If you are a night crawler,make sure you have an id on you always and have in your circle,atleast 1 trusted friend.

Welcome. . .in advance
Re: Moving To Lagos! What Should I Know? by ifyalways(f): 10:01pm On Mar 04, 2012
@OP,where are you coming from?
Just to add to the other inputs,before arrival,get in touch with your community(your countrymen) living here in Lagos,read their notes.

Lagos is a lovely city and also a no-mans-land.To survive,one has to be street smart,wise and fast.You would do well too if you learn to,as much as possible,mind your business.If you are a night crawler,make sure you have an id on you always and have in your circle,atleast 1 trusted friend.

Welcome. . .in advance
Re: Moving To Lagos! What Should I Know? by Yaara: 1:58pm On Mar 05, 2012
Hi! Right now I'm working in Latin America. Sorry to be vague, but my employer is rather strict about us posting personal info online.

I'm not a night crawler at all, I'm very boring! wink

Thank you for the warm welcome.

Yaara
Re: Moving To Lagos! What Should I Know? by Nobody: 4:32pm On Mar 05, 2012
This is also quite a site to check http://www.oyibosonline.com
Might be a little biased, but still good education.

And I believe you can also always get reliable information from your country's embassy. . . undecided

Miss_Ife:

@Sauer, thanks so much for your post, I've been looking for such info for quite some time now, should have posted here grin

Anyway, just writing to say thanks and keep track of this post. wink
You welcome!
You can check http://www.kachifo.com for more details on established and up-and-coming Nigerian authors published by kachifo, who I believe are Adichie's publishers in Nigeria.
Re: Moving To Lagos! What Should I Know? by Afam4eva(m): 7:12pm On Mar 05, 2012
Lagos is not as sweet as some people here have painted it oo. It's very rough and dirty. You have to be at alert 24/7 or else you'll be an alert. Only the strong can survive in this city
Re: Moving To Lagos! What Should I Know? by Nobody: 9:40am On Mar 06, 2012
Except you didn't bother reading between the lines, you'd know she is aware of all this already!
Re: Moving To Lagos! What Should I Know? by Yaara: 6:12pm On Mar 07, 2012
smiley I'm not expecting everything to be sweet. I kind of like it when things are interesting. wink I'll be careful.

Yaara
Re: Moving To Lagos! What Should I Know? by AjayKM: 12:59pm On Mar 15, 2012
Hello,

What should you know before moving to Lagos ? OK.....this is something difficult to tell here...

Can you visit the following post to know more on Nigeria....

http://ajaykmishra./2010/07/11/10-things-you-should-know-before-visiting-nigeria/
Re: Moving To Lagos! What Should I Know? by Rapmoney(m): 2:44pm On May 10, 2012
The girls! grin grin grin
Re: Moving To Lagos! What Should I Know? by niggadee(m): 3:53pm On May 10, 2012
afam4eva: Lagos is not as sweet as some people here have painted it oo. It's very rough and dirty. You have to be at alert 24/7 or else you'll be an alert. Only the strong can survive in this city
omo abule

(1) (Reply)

EKET DAY FESTIVAL: See Beautiful Masquerades On Display / ??? / Mo Fe Jiggy-Jiggy

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 22
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.