Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,512 members, 7,812,593 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 03:48 PM

Supeme Court Removes Celestine Omehia,rotimi Amaechi In As Rivers State Governor - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Supeme Court Removes Celestine Omehia,rotimi Amaechi In As Rivers State Governor (4101 Views)

Poll: Do you think the right decision was made

Yes: 63% (7 votes)
No: 27% (3 votes)
Don't know: 9% (1 vote)
This poll has ended

Supreme Court Upholds Wike’s Election As Rivers Governor / Amaechi In A Queue While Boarding A Flight In Abuja.. Photos / This Is Wickedness! See Amaechi In Dustbin(pix) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Supeme Court Removes Celestine Omehia,rotimi Amaechi In As Rivers State Governor by Ifeniyi22(m): 1:25pm On Oct 25, 2007
Breaking news!!!!!!!!!!!!
Just heard from Stv (Silverbird television) lagos that the supreme court has ordered the removal of Celestine Omehia as governor of Rivers State and ruled that Rotimi Amaechi take over immediately. What are your views and comments on this.
Re: Supeme Court Removes Celestine Omehia,rotimi Amaechi In As Rivers State Governor by texazzpete(m): 1:32pm On Oct 25, 2007
Is that possible? Rotimi Amaechi didn't take part in the last election.
if the Supreme court decides that Rotimi's name was removed illegally, the best that can happen is for a fresh election to be called for.
Re: Supeme Court Removes Celestine Omehia,rotimi Amaechi In As Rivers State Governor by Nobody: 1:38pm On Oct 25, 2007
ah, that's fantastic
good riddance to bad rubbish wink
Re: Supeme Court Removes Celestine Omehia,rotimi Amaechi In As Rivers State Governor by otokx(m): 1:38pm On Oct 25, 2007
My dear am so happy, Port Harcourt and indeed Rivers State has been dying slowly since this illegality was fosted on us. Am proud to be a Nigerian, Allahu Akbar, God is Great.
Re: Supeme Court Removes Celestine Omehia,rotimi Amaechi In As Rivers State Governor by neroflick(m): 1:51pm On Oct 25, 2007
Ifeniyi22:

Breaking news!!!!!!!!!!!!
Just heard that the supreme court has ordered the removal of Celestine Omehia as governor of Rivers State and ruled that Rotimi Amaechi take over immediately. What are your views and comments on this.

Tell us the source please!
Re: Supeme Court Removes Celestine Omehia,rotimi Amaechi In As Rivers State Governor by desgiezd(m): 1:52pm On Oct 25, 2007
I am so happy to hear this. A great judgement. So super!

I mentioned this when Kogi State governor was booted out, next on line:

1. Murtala Nyako of Adamawa State

2. Alao Akala of Oyo State

3. Olusegun Agagu of Ondo State

4. Olagunsoye Oyinlola of Osun State

5. Segun Oni of Ekiti State

Source: http://www.thetimesofnigeria.com/
Re: Supeme Court Removes Celestine Omehia,rotimi Amaechi In As Rivers State Governor by evergie(m): 1:53pm On Oct 25, 2007
I personally don't like the way people post this kind of delicate news, why not add the source (link) of this information.
Please @ poster edit your post, don't misinform people.
Re: Supeme Court Removes Celestine Omehia,rotimi Amaechi In As Rivers State Governor by rowlandwhy: 1:58pm On Oct 25, 2007
i am so scared those cult groups may re-start operations again angry

i heard riots have started in some parts of the town already.

see the link http://www.thisdayonline.com/nview.php?id=93316
Re: Supeme Court Removes Celestine Omehia,rotimi Amaechi In As Rivers State Governor by saintchux(m): 1:59pm On Oct 25, 2007
texazzpete:

if the Supreme court decides that Rotimi's name was removed illegally, the best that can happen is for a fresh election to be called for.

Omeha did not participate in the primaries either. It is the wrong done by using Omeha to substitute Amaechi that is been upturn now. That is good. Next time PDP should follow the rule in substituting candidates.
Re: Supeme Court Removes Celestine Omehia,rotimi Amaechi In As Rivers State Governor by otokx(m): 2:01pm On Oct 25, 2007
Thumbs up for the judiciary which remains the last hope of the common man.
Re: Supeme Court Removes Celestine Omehia,rotimi Amaechi In As Rivers State Governor by wiseguy(m): 2:05pm On Oct 25, 2007
This is the restart of cultism in Port Harcourt. In as much as I don't support the way Amaechi was removed by PDP, his hands are also not clean 'cos it was he and Odili that looted the state and armed the cultists.
Re: Supeme Court Removes Celestine Omehia,rotimi Amaechi In As Rivers State Governor by Nobody: 2:07pm On Oct 25, 2007
desgiezd:

I am so happy to hear this. A great judgement. So super!

I mentioned this when Kogi State governor was booted out, next on line:

1. Murtala Nyako of Adamawa State

2. Alao Akala of Oyo State

3. Olusegun Agagu of Ondo State

4. Olagunsoye Oyinlola of Osun State

5. Segun Oni of Ekiti State

@desgiezd
remove that number 4
The guy no dey go anywhere
The opposition dey make me laugh
You win for only two LG you dey jubilate say you don win the whole state
Re: Supeme Court Removes Celestine Omehia,rotimi Amaechi In As Rivers State Governor by Nobody: 2:18pm On Oct 25, 2007
Supreme Court Annuls Rivers State Governor Celestine Omeiha's Election, Orders Immediate Swearing-in of Hon Rotimi Amaechi as Governor
Re: Supeme Court Removes Celestine Omehia,rotimi Amaechi In As Rivers State Governor by desgiezd(m): 2:20pm On Oct 25, 2007
texazzpete:

I want to believe that the court worked on the premise that it was the party that was voted(?) for and not the individual. But the case of Rivers is very interesting because, I think, Princewill of AC can still continue his case and if the tribunal upturns it then a fresh election might then become necessary. If that happens, PDP can still present another candidate. Funny, huh?
Re: Supeme Court Removes Celestine Omehia,rotimi Amaechi In As Rivers State Governor by sanrima(f): 2:30pm On Oct 25, 2007
personally i think the court should have ordered for a fresh election, like they say "once a tug always a tug". puting amechi back is not the best solution because they are creating an open way for militancy.
Re: Supeme Court Removes Celestine Omehia,rotimi Amaechi In As Rivers State Governor by Legendary(m): 2:50pm On Oct 25, 2007
What if the presidential elections are upturned?

What will that spell for planning and policy implementation in the country?
Re: Supeme Court Removes Celestine Omehia,rotimi Amaechi In As Rivers State Governor by otokx(m): 3:36pm On Oct 25, 2007
I hear he will be sworn in insha allah tomorrow in Port Harcourt.
Re: Supeme Court Removes Celestine Omehia,rotimi Amaechi In As Rivers State Governor by IykeD1(m): 3:42pm On Oct 25, 2007
I hope this breeze hits Delta soon.
Re: Supeme Court Removes Celestine Omehia,rotimi Amaechi In As Rivers State Governor by dayokanu(m): 3:48pm On Oct 25, 2007
So much for OBJ and Iwu's selection I still maintain that they should be asked to refund back monies they took for the purpose of the election which they never conducted.
Re: Supeme Court Removes Celestine Omehia,rotimi Amaechi In As Rivers State Governor by zazoo(f): 4:00pm On Oct 25, 2007
news making the rounds in the capital city confirms that Rotimi Amaechi has been sworn in as the New Guvnor of Rivers State.

And it seems to be true, we have a new Guvnor.

Still in disbelief, this is crazy, wow!
Re: Supeme Court Removes Celestine Omehia,rotimi Amaechi In As Rivers State Governor by desgiezd(m): 4:03pm On Oct 25, 2007
Legendary:

What if the presidential elections are upturned?

Thats a high possibility! The evidences are coming in gradually (via Buhari's submissions at the tribunal) so much so that we have seen election results written even before the election date. We have also seen about three separate results for the same election and all three signed by INEC. You can rest assure that more will still come by the time Atiku begins his own submission.

Iyke-D:

I hope this breeze hits Delta soon.

Lets not rule Delta out because I have seen several people that claimed there was no election in some areas in Delta.

All these show the magnitude of the desperation of PDP as personified by OBJ to win at all cost. ---remember do or die---
Re: Supeme Court Removes Celestine Omehia,rotimi Amaechi In As Rivers State Governor by doncnn(m): 4:05pm On Oct 25, 2007
praise da lord somebody, SHAME TO PDP

read this from PM NEWS OF TODAY

By Oluokun Ayorinde, Nnamdi Felix/ Abuja, Okafor Ofiebor/Port Harcourt & Damola Ogundimu

In a unanimous judgment read by the presiding judge, Justice Aloysius Katsina-Alu, the Supreme Court, this morning in Abuja sacked the Celestine Omehia-led administration in Rivers State and odered that Rotimi Amaechi be sworn in immediately as governor of Rivers State. In his judgment, Katsina-Alu said the issues in the matter brought before the apex court by the former Speaker of the Rivers State House of Assembly, Rotimi Amaechi, were similar with those in Araraume vs Charles Ugwuh.

He held that the substitution by the Peoples Democratic Party (PDP) of Rotimi Amaechi, the appellant, was not in compliance with Section 34(2) of the Electoral Act 2006.

Commenting on the indictment of Amaechi upon which the PDP based his substitution, the court held that there was no known indictment of Amaechi before the law.

The justices of the apex court submitted that the appeal was never charged before any court of competent jurisdiction.

In this regard, the apex court maintained that Amaechi remains a validly nominated candidate of the PDP for the 14 April governorship election held in Rivers State.

Taking a swipe at Governor Celestine Omehia who had earlier on in the proceeding sought to cover himself in the cloak of immunity, the Supreme Court observed that the suit, as instituted by Amaechi, has been pending in the court before the swearing of Omehia and so Omehia could not enjoy immunity.

The Supreme Court also held that even though the reliefs being sought by Amaechi were declaratory, it is its view that he (Amaechi) remained the PDP candidate before the law and not Celestine Omehia.

The apex court insisted that it will do substantial justice to the matter without recourse to technical ties and stated that Amaechi is deemed to have won the 14 April gubernatorial election in Rivers State and not Omehia.

The decision of the Court of Appeal was set aside by the apex court.

The Supreme Court ordered Omehia to vacate the Rivers State Government House to make room for Amaechi to be sworn in as the duly and validly elected governor of Rivers State.

The court said it would give reason for its judgement on 18 January, 2008.

There was massive jubilation inside the court premises by supporters of Amaechi after the judgement while supporters of Omehia were downcast.

Also, there was wild jubilation on the streets of Port Harcourt after the judgment while the situation was calm and quiet at the Government House in Port Harcourt this afternoon.

Meanwhile, in Port Harcourt, the RiversState capital this morning, notable politicians and political appointees, the engine room of Celestine Omehia’s administration, virtually abandoned their offices ahead of the Supreme Court ruling.

Others have since Tuesday stormed Abuja. Those who were around were busy with their phones, calling their colleagues in Abuja to get an update on developments.

P.M.News learnt that both camps of the warring parties had gone into prayers and fasting, perhaps for divine intervention in their favour.

Before the judgment, most residents of Port Harcourt didn’t seem to care about the outcome of the case. They were seen going about their normal business.

Both the Amaechi and Omehia camps had told TheNews recently that they did not anticipate violence, whatever the outcome of the Supreme Court ruling.

Mr. Emmanuel Okah, the state Commissioner for Information had assured that the joint military task force is on ground to forestall any breach of peace in Rivers State.

Over 20 patrol vehicles and an armoured personnel carrier were seen patrolling the busy Port Harcourt-Aba Road, to forestall any break down of law and order.

Also, this morning, members of a group called Youths For Peace, were seen moving around the streets of Port Harcourt in a march.

They called for peace among the people of the state, no matter the outcome of the Supreme Court judgement.

In December 2006, the political tension in Rivers State heightened shortly after the Peoples Democratic Party (PDP) governorship primaries in the state.

Rotimi Amaechi, the immediate past Speaker of the State House of Assembly, had emerged winner of the primaries, and his name was sent to the Independent National Electoral Commission (INEC). His name was eventually presented as the party’s candidate for the 14 April, 2007 election.

Shortly afterwards, allegations of corruption were hauled at Amaechi. He was accused by the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC) for alleged corrupt enrichment and his name was included in a long list of indicted politicians and public office holders by the EFCC. While Amaechi went to court to seek redress, the PDP forwarded Celestine Omehia’s name to INEC in place of Amaechi.

But before the court could rule on the matter, Amaechi was suspended from the PDP.

Amaechi went to court and Justice Binta Murtala Nyako of the Federal High Court, Abuja, nullified the candidacy of Omehia after setting aside the substitution of Omehia by the PDP.

But Omehia also cross appealed the judgement, asking the appellate court to set aside the judgement that nullified his candidacy. Omehia went on to win the elections and the matter had been a subject of litigation at the apex court.
Re: Supeme Court Removes Celestine Omehia,rotimi Amaechi In As Rivers State Governor by Ifeniyi22(m): 4:38pm On Oct 25, 2007
@evergie
I'm sorry that I didn't include the source of the information,I have remedied that.Wasn't trying to misinformed the people.Thanks.I'll try to be a bit less forgetful next time.
Re: Supeme Court Removes Celestine Omehia,rotimi Amaechi In As Rivers State Governor by azorjiu(m): 5:15pm On Oct 25, 2007
Good development.

I'd rather fresh elections were conducted.
As the people didn't vote the Amaechi guy during the general election,
I think it's wrong to swear him in as a representative of the people.
Re: Supeme Court Removes Celestine Omehia,rotimi Amaechi In As Rivers State Governor by zazoo(f): 5:51pm On Oct 25, 2007
well we surely did not vote omehia!!!
Re: Supeme Court Removes Celestine Omehia,rotimi Amaechi In As Rivers State Governor by ojimboIV: 11:29am On Oct 26, 2007
we are yet to see the effects in all facets of governance. my guess is it's going to be huge, i'm sure all them lobbyist are on the prowl now, kissing ass here and there to get their 'fair' share of the brick house goodies.
Re: Supeme Court Removes Celestine Omehia,rotimi Amaechi In As Rivers State Governor by Nobody: 11:36am On Oct 26, 2007
its good goood gooooooood for those pdp mumus
Re: Supeme Court Removes Celestine Omehia,rotimi Amaechi In As Rivers State Governor by angel101(f): 11:56am On Oct 26, 2007
nice, i hope the same happens in edo state soon.

(1) (Reply)

Legalize Prostitution In Nigeria / 5 Reasons Why The US Is Hostile To Nigeria. / Read What Gov. Almakura Did To A Young Lady (pics)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 42
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.