Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,741 members, 7,827,735 topics. Date: Tuesday, 14 May 2024 at 04:02 PM

How Reliable Is Kia? - Car Talk (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / How Reliable Is Kia? (33888 Views)

Is Kia Rio A Good Car? / How Reliable Are Hyundai Vehicles? / Is Kia Rio A Good Car? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: How Reliable Is Kia? by lawyerchap(m): 10:43am On Dec 04, 2007
seun001:

@Lawyerchap,
sorry,its the Elantra.kind of mixed it up.am really in love with the design.

@Seun001
I guessed as much. And yes the Elantra is sinfully beautiful this time around. Would have loved to get one to start the new year but just got my mum the (infamous) Kia Rio for Christmas (at least there is a service centre just around the corner in Asaba where she lives). And as Question so succinctly put it, a 'bad' car used properly will outlast a 'good' car abused passionately.

But really do love the Elantra to bits.
Re: How Reliable Is Kia? by earthrealm(m): 10:49am On Dec 04, 2007
3m, 4 a hyundai?,
well its only possible unless they factored in the interest,
4rm rough estimates u can [pay up to 1.2m interest on a 2m loan spread over 4yrs at 19% interest,

so thats 3.2m 4 a 2m car wen the interest is factored in, making it 3.2m!!!
so the poster cud be right,, its possible
Re: How Reliable Is Kia? by BigWood(m): 11:00am On Dec 04, 2007
It depends on where you live and the way you use it. since it's new, i believe you should be able to use it for like 3yrs.
Re: How Reliable Is Kia? by lawyerchap(m): 11:04am On Dec 04, 2007
earthrealm:

3m, 4 a hyundai?,
well its only possible unless they factored in the interest,
from rough estimates u can [pay up to 1.2m interest on a 2m loan spread over 4yrs at 19% interest,
so thats 3.2m 4 a 2m car when the interest is factored in, making it 3.2m!!!
so the poster cud be right,, its possible

@earthrealm
Actually 19% is a tad high. The average interest rate banks charge for these financing deals is about 16.5%. But there's still no way a 1.6 million Naira hyundai will end up costing three million. That makes Shylock look like a reverend gentleman.
Re: How Reliable Is Kia? by miz4oxley(m): 11:13am On Dec 04, 2007
hey kia cars are off you can go for toyota,they got the spare parts and easy customer care unit all over naija.thats my new car.
Re: How Reliable Is Kia? by lawyerchap(m): 11:28am On Dec 04, 2007
miz4oxley:

hey kia cars are off you can go for toyota,they got the spare parts and easy customer care unit all over naija.thats my new car.

Personally i think Toyotas are overpriced and overrated. Imagine a mid level Toyota Corolla with absolutely zero street cred costing 3.5 million bucks; and what does it come with? Airconditioning, auto transmission. Period. It costs more than a Volkswagen Jetta that is prettier, and comes with every feature known to man. Even if we explain the price difference on the sizes of the engines (Corolla is 1.8 litres while Jetta is 1,6) how do you explain the Corolla costing more than a top-of-the-range Optima that comes with every creature comfort and a hefty two litre engine? Toyota has keyed into our obsession with the brand name and are now putting out less and less inspiring rides, knowing that we will buy anything so long as it carries the Toyota badge . I drove a friend's 2007 Camry 2.4 LE and i was sadly disappointed. Beneath the breathtaking exterior there is nothing to hold my attention. My Golf GTI felt more sprightly and more responsive, possibly because it is a smaller car built for racing, but i had honestly expected more from a car with a five million Naira price tag.
Re: How Reliable Is Kia? by Ivvie: 12:56pm On Dec 04, 2007
@Question
question (m) Re: How Reliable Is Kia?
« #57 on: Today at 06:58:08 AM »

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Different strokes for different folks.
Everybody sharing their own experience. Some say Kia is good, some say it is bad, some say na Toyota be the best, some na Honda. Just like a group of blind men analyzing the elephant by touching the different parts of its body.
All these cars pass a certain standards (under normal conditions) and are approved before they are pushed out into the market.
It now depends on the user/car owner to operate the car under normal or abnormal conditions. A car's perfomance seroiusly depends on the people using or maintaining it.

If you buy 'bad' car and use it with care it will last longer than if you buy a 'good' car and abuse it with passion.
@poster, the earlier you make up your mind, the better because too much reviews and views will only confuse you the more.

Some people have never been on a plane, yet they believe it flies. 

Some engineers have never been in a plane yet they design and implement it, yet they understand the pillars of aeronautics as oppose to a frequent flyer.  Kia's are marginally put together and outdatedly fitted.

Correction - If you buy a bad car, you cannot uphold it because of its faulty foundation.  It becomes a crossover money pit.  You'd spend money but no improvement.  Everything will be falling apart.
Re: How Reliable Is Kia? by Ivvie: 1:02pm On Dec 04, 2007
@Lawyerchap

Toyota's are not overpriced. If you understand how the resale value is determined, your opinion will not be your conclusion. Corolla's are hard to find here in the States at bargaining price; it's high and most times, need to purchase from a dealer. It's a car you can own and do nothing to but the basic maintenance for year before something critical surfaces (virtually maintenenance free).

Toyota is the only company that doesn't make money off it's customers in manufacturing cost.
Re: How Reliable Is Kia? by earthrealm(m): 3:44pm On Dec 04, 2007
@earthrealm
Actually 19% is a tad high. The average interest rate banks charge for these financing deals is about 16.5%. But there's still no way a 1.6 million Naira hyundai will end up costing three million. That makes Shylock look like a reverend gentleman.
[quote][/quote]

naaaaaaaaaah u 4get that there is a hidden/unmentioned 3% managment fee?, oceanic is 17%, interconti is 18%, n they always 4get 2 tell u of the 3% managment fee, its standard practise

or tell me where i can get the 16.5%, i am highly interested!!, is it a bank or finance house?
Re: How Reliable Is Kia? by seun001(m): 5:53pm On Dec 04, 2007
well,about the hyundai elantra,the total package was abt 3.3m packaged by oceanic and the dealer in question.
that car,well am still thinking seriously abt how it will feel to drive one. grin
Re: How Reliable Is Kia? by Outstrip(f): 11:00pm On Dec 04, 2007
So what willa 2003 toyota 4 runner go for in nigeria
Re: How Reliable Is Kia? by Nobody: 1:29pm On Dec 05, 2007
please can anybody give me the names of leasing companies ( like Cand I) that give loans for USED cars. I heard C and I gives for only new cars. I want to get a car latest in a months time.

Thnks in advance
Re: How Reliable Is Kia? by yinkarose: 5:51pm On Dec 05, 2007
i would prefer toyota product to kia . if it is kia you need for instance to change your timing belt advisably before 40000km otherwise you might lose your entire engine alsop the cost of replacement parts is also high but if you live in riverine part of lagos during the rainy season kia rio does very well
Re: How Reliable Is Kia? by MP007(m): 2:52am On Dec 06, 2007
kia down payments and monthly payments are cheap but the price is enpensive, 12 g and above , not even including financing.
Re: How Reliable Is Kia? by choco4life(m): 3:26pm On Dec 11, 2007
How come no one is Mentioning a Mercedes?

Men beautiful and rugged cars.
Re: How Reliable Is Kia? by sultaan(m): 2:01am On Dec 12, 2007
The main weakness of KIA is the flux capacitor. Those who are familiar with engines will know this part of the Klingon capacitor
Re: How Reliable Is Kia? by earthrealm(m): 1:42pm On Dec 12, 2007
try bank phb, their terms are cool,

@topic,
i appreciate ur frankness, n i ntegrity, for posting the exact mileage of the car, i know that some car dealers tamper with the mileage.

keep it up bro, there is still hope 4 nigeria
Re: How Reliable Is Kia? by need2know(f): 4:00pm On Dec 13, 2007
@tumbaba

UBA does financing for used cars, so does First Bank
Re: How Reliable Is Kia? by iomooba: 6:41pm On Dec 17, 2007
Pally,

If you know your guage, No try used car o. Dem take Tokunbo do una for Nigeria? I am on my 3rd car now. First with Toyota -Tokunbo, 2nd with Honda - Tokunbo and I currently use Kia Rio. I have being using it for 8 months now and the only regret I have is that I wasted money buying those Tokunbo craps.

I will recommend the Kia Rio to anybody anytime. Don't be deceived with the frail body, its actually very strong.

Ciao.
Re: How Reliable Is Kia? by Dreloaded(f): 6:41pm On Dec 17, 2007
If you want to die, go ahead and buy a Kia. Infact why not get a Saturn too so as to increase your chances.
Re: How Reliable Is Kia? by sultaan(m): 10:35pm On Dec 18, 2007
So what is wrong with a Saturn?

Its a GM brand let us know of your bad experience
Re: How Reliable Is Kia? by Farriel(m): 4:52pm On Aug 14, 2008
Quite a late post, but I'm wondering if any user of a Kia Rio (who supposedly has a problem with it) can tell specifically what problems they are facing with the vehicle, besides it being a 'death trap', like many folks here are trying to make us believe.

I'm considering going for one myself and will appreciate any specific problem any user can highlight.
Re: How Reliable Is Kia? by MrCrackles(m): 4:53pm On Aug 14, 2008
KIA IS AN ABSOLUTE GABBAGE

BUY AT UR OWN PERIL!
Re: How Reliable Is Kia? by obijack: 1:44pm On Aug 15, 2008
My boss has an Optima 2.0 litre engine which he bought in Feb of 2005.
The total cost of first year of maintenance at Dana Motors was just N27,000.00 from feb 2005 to feb 2006 ( I have the records) The second year was about N56,000 or there about.

In may this year, the car has already covered 100,000 km (because it has travelled btw Akure and Lagos for over a hundred time since it was bought not to mention Kaduna, Asaba, Minna and Abuja to mention a few places.

So, in May this year when the car was taken to Dana motors, the total cost of replacing most of the parts was N180,000.00 which was paid and when the car was driven after the 100,000 km service, the handling felt like new.

The other maintenance issues were tyres and batteries and July 24th this year the transmission (gear) started behaving funny. All it took was N3,400.00 to change the ATF at a petrol station.

Believe me I has thesame doubt about these KIA cars but they are very rugged. TOYOTAS are good but too pricy.

I can't tell u about Rios but I believe that they have similar engineering.

Routine maintenance at Dana motors has never crossed the N18,000 mark every 3 months. But they can take a day or 2 to get it ready for you.

These cars are durable. I drive a 3 series BMW but if I have the cash to buy a new car I will consider buying a KIA even though it does not top my list.

1 Like

Re: How Reliable Is Kia? by xpensiv: 3:51pm On Aug 15, 2008
Honestly i thot the same way most people did abt the kia's until i used one myself, a fact is considering all the post here, most people tht condemn kia's did not actually state their experience cos they dnt hav any, but all those who giv credit to kia's hav stated their experiences,
I'v used the smallest kia available (picanto) and no regrets, it performance amazes me!! and if this picanto can perform so well, whts stopping the elder bros from?? grin
So go ahead and pik wht u feels is best, smiley
Re: How Reliable Is Kia? by indie22(f): 12:51pm On Jul 09, 2009
the kia rio is actually a great option, great value car, reasonable priced, i work for kia motors and can get you a great price for a brand new kia rio inclusive of 1 year comprehensive servicing free and free vehicle reg and of course the car comes with 3 year manufacturer's warranty, you can call me on 070293227474, (cynthia),
Re: How Reliable Is Kia? by Everestto: 8:44am On Oct 05, 2009
I hate stereotyping!

People have come to associate Toyota with fuel economy and Kia with unreliability. Lets get it straight: Toyota does not mean fuel economy and Kia does not mean unreliability. The Kia Rio is more fuel efficient than the Toyota Camry.

Fuel economy is indexed on several engineering, environmental and human factors but take this from me: smaller cars are more efficient than bigger cars, lighter cars are more efficient than heavier cars and narrower cars are more efficient than wider cars.

My grouse with Kia cars is maintenance. Kia in Nigeria is a monopoly. You would always run back to the same shop no matter your experience. Kia technicians and mechanics do not repair faulty components - they replace them. Instead of cleaning out some dirt or blowing off some stuff, they simply ask you to pay for replacement with a new part.

Different people have different things to say in this topic, but I would settle for the best Tokunbo I can afford and feel free to take it wherever i wish for repairs. A clean tokunbo can give you two years with minimal issues and you can sell off without losing much and upgrade to another Tokunbo.

I advise you to go for common brands like Toyota, Honda, Nissan etc. and leave KIA for KAI. grin
Re: How Reliable Is Kia? by indie22(f): 4:53pm On Oct 07, 2009
!
Re: How Reliable Is Kia? by sola310: 4:43pm On Jan 15, 2010
Good to speak out. I have an option for you. I got a nissan maxima fairly used (just arrived from USA) and a Toyota camry fairly used. call 0806 608 8816 for a good price.
Re: How Reliable Is Kia? by indie22(f): 12:23pm On Jan 18, 2010
hiya!, the Kia Rio is basically between 1.674m and 2.250m naira, depending on the features and transmission, The price comes inclusive of 1 year free comprehensive servicing (labour and parts inclusive) and of course the 3 year factory warranty backed up by the manufacturer, If you're interested, pls call CYNTHIA @ KIA MOTORS ON 07084911145 OR 07029322474, CHEERS!
Re: How Reliable Is Kia? by ice234: 5:02pm On Jul 10, 2010
i have a brand new kia optima. brought it last year never had any problem with it. infact i'm enjoyin it the ac tight die
Re: How Reliable Is Kia? by ice234: 5:03pm On Jul 10, 2010
i have a brand new kia optima. brought it last year never had any problem with it. infact i'm enjoyin it the ac tight die

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

3 Facts About Vehicle Window Tint Permit In Nigeria / 2016 Mercedes-Benz S550: A Review Of Olowo Eko, Oba Akinolu's Official Car / 2018 Range Rover Gets A Facelift And Dashlift (photos And Video)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 46
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.