Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,048 members, 7,818,153 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 09:02 AM

Pls I Need Help In Solving This Maths Probs: Asap - Education (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Pls I Need Help In Solving This Maths Probs: Asap (13729 Views)

Many Persons Will Fail This Maths (photo) / Can Someone Help Me In Solving This Simultaneous Equation? / Solve This Maths Now And Win Instant N10,000 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Pls I Need Help In Solving This Maths Probs: Asap by ronkebp(f): 4:18pm On Mar 06, 2012
softy:

oooooooooooh my gosh, I need to go back to class of mathematics ASAP!!!, lol.

smiley smiley smiley smiley smiley
Re: Pls I Need Help In Solving This Maths Probs: Asap by jaybee3(m): 4:20pm On Mar 06, 2012
ronkebp:

I know jare, i am more of an art/ business person, and seeing maths cropping up under a disguise ''statistics'' is making me have goose bumps all over. cool cool cool
What are you studying if I may ask?
Re: Pls I Need Help In Solving This Maths Probs: Asap by Nobody: 4:28pm On Mar 06, 2012
Miss_Ife:

2/The probability is still 1/2, the previous "events" do not influence the result. In terms of probability, whether you flip a coin for the 150th time or the first time, there is always just 1/2 chance for it to show tail.

Is the coin a fair coin?
Re: Pls I Need Help In Solving This Maths Probs: Asap by ronkebp(f): 4:35pm On Mar 06, 2012
jay bee:

What are you studying if I may ask?

MBA with a concentration in finance, did my first masters in Human resources, this is my second, i no know who send me job gan sef.
Re: Pls I Need Help In Solving This Maths Probs: Asap by ronkebp(f): 4:36pm On Mar 06, 2012
sauer:

Is the coin a fair coin?

Coin dey fair or black? smiley smiley smiley smiley
Re: Pls I Need Help In Solving This Maths Probs: Asap by jaybee3(m): 4:39pm On Mar 06, 2012
ronkebp:

MBA with a concentration in finance, did my first masters in Human resources, this is my second, i no know who send me job gan sef.
Oh ok.
You will always need maths in your daily life sha maybe not as extensive as some of us do but please endure the pain now so you can enjoy the gain later on.
Re: Pls I Need Help In Solving This Maths Probs: Asap by blank(f): 4:41pm On Mar 06, 2012
ronkebp:

Coin dey fair or black? smiley smiley smiley smiley

Yes na. Unbiased coin.
Re: Pls I Need Help In Solving This Maths Probs: Asap by ronkebp(f): 4:51pm On Mar 06, 2012
^^^^ hmmmmm!!! i don hala!!! cheesy cheesy cheesy
''unbiased coin''
jay bee:

Oh ok.
You will always need maths in your daily life sha maybe not as extensive as some of us do but please endure the pain now so you can enjoy the gain later on.

Thank you jare, this is actually my last semester. I don try, i am on to the next level.
Re: Pls I Need Help In Solving This Maths Probs: Asap by Nobody: 4:58pm On Mar 06, 2012
ronkebp:
Hey guys, please i need the maths gurus in the house to help out with this problem, i know it is the simplest of all, but my head too rust to even think right now. infact there are two questions so enjoy!!!

1. Let's say you run a small retail shop in a shopping mall and you are considering whether or not you will stay open on a Saturday morning. You know that a customer on entering the store it likely to make a purchase of $10.00 or more 35% of the time. The remainder of the time they will look around and leave without making a purchase. Your shop draws about 15% of total shoppers on any given day. You also expect from information that you have gathered from mall sources that there are about 500 people in the mall on a Saturday morning. You know you need to have about $300.00 in revenue to cover expenses and profit for a half day on Saturday morning and the question is should you open the shop? ( What is the probability that at least 30 shoppers entering your store of the total will make a purchase of $10.00 or more?)

Let's ask a binomial question, folks. Let's say that you have flipped a coin 25 times and the results are Heads 15, Tails 10. What is the probability of obtaining a Tail on the next flip of the coin? That's one, now to what characteristics are present in a binomial process that ensures this result?

thanks guys.

the two answers by Miss Ife and knight1 look a little incomprehensive to me. They don't sound true! How could u multiply 35% by number of customers when there is really no basis for that!
Re: Pls I Need Help In Solving This Maths Probs: Asap by Nobody: 5:01pm On Mar 06, 2012
ronkebp:

^^^^ hmmmmm!!! i don hala!!! cheesy cheesy cheesy
''unbiased coin''
Thank you jare, this is actually my last semester. I don try, i am on to the next level.
If the coin were fair/unbaised, the number of trials given in question will probably have to be taken into consideration. But we can assume anywayz a fair coin, and take the answer as 1/2. Tossing of a fair coin is an independent event unaffected by earlier trials!
Re: Pls I Need Help In Solving This Maths Probs: Asap by Nobody: 5:07pm On Mar 06, 2012
ronkebp:

Hey guys, please i need the maths gurus in the house to help out with this problem, i know it is the simplest of all, but my head too rust to even think right now. infact there are two questions so enjoy!!!

1. Let's say you run a small retail shop in a shopping mall and you are considering whether or not you will stay open on a Saturday morning. You know that a customer on entering the store it likely to make a purchase of $10.00 or more 35% of the time. The remainder of the time they will look around and leave without making a purchase. Your shop draws about 15% of total shoppers on any given day. You also expect from information that you have gathered from mall sources that there are about 500 people in the mall on a Saturday morning. You know you need to have about $300.00 in revenue to cover expenses and profit for a half day on Saturday morning and the question is should you open the shop? ( What is the probability that at least 30 shoppers entering your store of the total will make a purchase of $10.00 or more?)

For the first question, I believe it's binomial probability distribution. If you assume that one shopper's purchase is an independent event, then p = 0.35 (success) and failure is 0.65.
If the shop draws 15% of total shoppers in a day, then it'll attract 15/100 * 500 = 75 shoppers.

In order to make a revenue of 300dollars, you need at least 30 people to purchase goods worth $10 or more. So, the question is in effect probability of 30 or more shoppers buying $10 or more. If this probability is strong enough, then you can take chances by opening the shop.
So you'd calculate

P(x>=30) = p(x=30) + p(x=31) + . . . . . + p(x=75).
p(x=r) = nCr (p)^r . (q)^n-r

using some binomial calculator available online
p(x>=30) = 0.2144

this probability is too small for you to open the shop on saturdays!
Re: Pls I Need Help In Solving This Maths Probs: Asap by Privy(m): 5:16pm On Mar 06, 2012
@OP,

For the first question, I believe it's binomial probability distribution. If you assume that one shopper's purchase is an independent event, then p = 0.35 (success) and failure is 0.65.
If the shop draws 15% of total shoppers in a day, then it'll attract 15/100 * 500 = 75 shoppers.

In order to make a revenue of 300dollars, you need at least 30 people to purchase goods worth $10 or more. So, the question is in effect probability of 30 or more shoppers buying $10 or more. If this probability is strong enough, then you can take chances by opening the shop.
So you'd calculate

p(x>=30) = 0.2144

Read the above solution by sauer. It's different from most of the previous solutions but it's the right approach to the problem.
Re: Pls I Need Help In Solving This Maths Probs: Asap by kolaoloye(m): 5:18pm On Mar 06, 2012
@OP
Wait let me phone a friend grin
Re: Pls I Need Help In Solving This Maths Probs: Asap by ronkebp(f): 5:24pm On Mar 06, 2012
kola oloye:

@OP
Wait let me phone a friend grin

Olodo, phone a friend ko, use the audience ni, smiley smiley smiley smiley so funny.
Re: Pls I Need Help In Solving This Maths Probs: Asap by Yorisb: 5:25pm On Mar 06, 2012
blank:

grin
Yep
Remember to always use your plagiarism checker.
LWKMD! grin grin

@OP

What kinda coins are u flipping like that

Pence/Pound, Cent or Kobo? embarassed
Re: Pls I Need Help In Solving This Maths Probs: Asap by ronkebp(f): 5:26pm On Mar 06, 2012
sauer:

So you'd calculate

p(x>=30) = 0.2144

Thank you Sauer, now there is another twist to this question,''given the 15% number, what is the probability that more than 30 customers would shop in the store on Saturday morning''?
Re: Pls I Need Help In Solving This Maths Probs: Asap by ronkebp(f): 5:29pm On Mar 06, 2012
Yorisb:

LWKMD! grin grin

@OP

What kinda coins are u flipping like that

Pence/Pound, Cent or Kobo?
embarassed

All of the above!!!abi the weight of the coin would determine the probability of having more of a head than tail? wink wink wink
Re: Pls I Need Help In Solving This Maths Probs: Asap by Nobody: 5:33pm On Mar 06, 2012
the probability that more than 30 customers will shop is simply p(x>30) and follows from earlier
p(x>30) = p(x>=31)
using some binomial calculator
p(x>=31) = 0.1518

This is even lower!
Re: Pls I Need Help In Solving This Maths Probs: Asap by Nobody: 5:36pm On Mar 06, 2012
actually the thing is. . . from the probablity distribution it becomes evident that under those stated conditions less than 30 people are more likely to shop $10 and above. This means the retail shop is not likely to break-even on saturday morning. Well, total sales will always be less than the $300 mark
Re: Pls I Need Help In Solving This Maths Probs: Asap by ronkebp(f): 5:47pm On Mar 06, 2012
sauer:

the probability that more than 30 customers will shop is simply p(x>30) and follows from earlier
p(x>30) = p(x>=31)
using some binomial calculator
p(x>=31) = 0.1518

This is even lower!

Thank you Sauer, i appreciate it.
Re: Pls I Need Help In Solving This Maths Probs: Asap by Nobody: 5:53pm On Mar 06, 2012
ronkebp:

Thank you Sauer, i appreciate it.
u welcome wink
Re: Pls I Need Help In Solving This Maths Probs: Asap by Obinoscopy(m): 5:59pm On Mar 06, 2012
I'm kind of busy right now but will give you the answer and the workings later.
Re: Pls I Need Help In Solving This Maths Probs: Asap by armyofone(m): 6:11pm On Mar 06, 2012
lol, adding nairaland to your reference good fa grin grin grin

Miss Ife, i have added all you math sovers to my list grin
Re: Pls I Need Help In Solving This Maths Probs: Asap by armyofone(m): 6:15pm On Mar 06, 2012

Miss Ife, i have added all you math solvers to my list grin

ronke, hope say your professor never ask you question before Sauer put his there grin

Sauer, can i also contact you with my pg math eh?
thanks for helping by the way.
Re: Pls I Need Help In Solving This Maths Probs: Asap by Nobody: 6:16pm On Mar 06, 2012
^^yes you can! . . . .I collect only GBP grin
Re: Pls I Need Help In Solving This Maths Probs: Asap by ronkebp(f): 6:20pm On Mar 06, 2012
armyofone:

Miss Ife, i have added all you math solvers to my list grin

ronke, hope say your professor never ask you question before Sauer put his there grin

Sauer, can i also contact you with my pg math eh?
thanks for helping by the way.

My dear, na the second question e ask na im ask Mr. Sauer soo, i am so Acing this Statistics, dem no get madness. smiley smiley
Re: Pls I Need Help In Solving This Maths Probs: Asap by ronkebp(f): 6:21pm On Mar 06, 2012
sauer:

^^yes you can! . . . .I collect only GBP grin

Mr. Sauer and many more people please be ready for more questions, when i start writing my project on this course, Thank you in advance. cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy
Re: Pls I Need Help In Solving This Maths Probs: Asap by armyofone(m): 6:21pm On Mar 06, 2012
oh please, help a poor gal biko jo.
i will keep in touch, no run too far grin.
Re: Pls I Need Help In Solving This Maths Probs: Asap by ronkebp(f): 6:21pm On Mar 06, 2012
Obinoscopy:

I'm kind of busy right now but will give you the answer and the workings later.

No probs, will be waiting for your own solutions. wink wink
Re: Pls I Need Help In Solving This Maths Probs: Asap by Obinoscopy(m): 6:29pm On Mar 06, 2012
ronkebp:

Let's ask a binomial question, folks. Let's say that you have flipped a coin 25 times and the results are Heads 15, Tails 10. What is the probability of obtaining a Tail on the next flip of the coin? That's one, now to what characteristics are present in a binomial process that ensures this result?

That your second question is not a binomial question but an advanced form of distribution that is derived from binomial. This is because the probability of what the next toss of a coin would be follows a geometric distribution. Would solve it later.
Re: Pls I Need Help In Solving This Maths Probs: Asap by ronkebp(f): 7:11pm On Mar 06, 2012
^^^ i don dey shiver at this your analysis.
Re: Pls I Need Help In Solving This Maths Probs: Asap by ronkebp(f): 7:27pm On Mar 06, 2012
Obinoscopy:

That your second question is not a binomial question but an advanced form of distribution that is derived from binomial. This is because the probability of what the next toss of a coin would be follows a geometric distribution. Would solve it later.

Infact leave that first question, i have anothere one for you, you can answer this one!!

Say for example we are digging into a bag of marbles, again a very simple example but one that illustrates the points nicely, of 10 marbles, three green, two red, and five black. What is the probably that one green marble will be drawn.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

How To Answer Query In Coming Late? / ASUU To Tinubu: "We Have Been On The Same Salary Since 2009" / SEE How This Beautiful Girl Was Humiliated In Public [photo]

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 54
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.