Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,606 members, 7,812,986 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 April 2024 at 01:32 AM

Sovereign National Conference: North Set For Showdown - Politics (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Sovereign National Conference: North Set For Showdown (16020 Views)

National Assembly Set For Showdown With Buhari / Reps Set For Showdown Over Move To Reconvene House / Jonathan Okays Sovereign National Conference, SNC To Take Off Next Year (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Sovereign National Conference: North Set For Showdown by Nobody: 5:31pm On Mar 08, 2012
ekt_bear:

See this map?

Everything in that sea belongs to Lagos, Ogun, Ondo, Delta, Bayelsa, Rivers, and Akwa Ibom.

No man who is closer to the desert than to the Atlantic should claim any portion of it.

You missed Cross River & Edo.

Looks to me like when push comes to shove Igbos and Hausas are fcu@ked!
Re: Sovereign National Conference: North Set For Showdown by scholes0(m): 5:33pm On Mar 08, 2012
Have these Northerners ever heard of something called "Territorial waters"
Everything extracted with 200 Miles,m of the country's shore, not only belongs to Nigeria, but ALSO the states, whose coast the resource was derived from,

To put things into perspective, If I have a fishing trawler, and decide to go fishing off the coast of Ondo state, does my caught fish, belong to a man from Kano or Katsina??
A Chevron OFFSHORE gas facility, was burning for almost 40 days, recently, and the citizens inland in Bayelsa, were complaining of water and air pollution, in their communities, How is that a Northern Problem?,  These Northern guyz are soo funny, pls

[CENTER]

[/CENTER]

The Northerners should accept the fact,  they have no share in Nigeria's coastline, and the oil revenues they get at the moment, is as a result of belonging in the same federation with Southern folks,
Re: Sovereign National Conference: North Set For Showdown by Okijajuju1(m): 5:38pm On Mar 08, 2012
I wish the North would. . .

We are about to achieve what Ojukwu couldnt without spilling blood!!

cool
Re: Sovereign National Conference: North Set For Showdown by logica(m): 5:41pm On Mar 08, 2012
Ha ha. The sight that will please me the most is to see all carcasses of their cattle dot their desert land. The same cattle they had been killing over and grazing people's farmland. By the time they are no longer allowed to come south to graze, it will get very interesting for them.
Re: Sovereign National Conference: North Set For Showdown by niddamugu(m): 5:57pm On Mar 08, 2012
Okija_juju:

I wish the North would. . .

We are about to achieve what Ojukwu couldnt without spilling blood!!

cool

Are you trying to speak ill of the dead? Your name reflects Ibo, why do you speak like this? I am not Ibo but i stand for the truth no matter who speaks it. meanwhile, I see this as a right step towards the same progressive direction. We need to talk especially along the line Ojukwu stood for.
Re: Sovereign National Conference: North Set For Showdown by scholes0(m): 6:00pm On Mar 08, 2012
You missed Cross River & Edo.

Looks to me like when push comes to shove Igbos and Hausas are fcu@ked!

Edo has no coastline, and Cross rives, has almost nothing,, They just have a little outlet to the sea, Via the cross river.
Re: Sovereign National Conference: North Set For Showdown by Okijajuju1(m): 6:02pm On Mar 08, 2012
niddamugu:

Are you trying to speak ill of the dead? Your name reflects Ibo, why do you speak like this? I am not Ibo but i stand for the truth no matter who speaks it. meanwhile, I see this as a right step towards the same progressive direction. We need to talk especially along the line Ojukwu stood for.

What ill do you speak of?!

Did I slander him in my post?! Please feel free to correct any wrong part in my post sir!!

logica:

Ha ha. The sight that will please me the most is to see all carcasses of their cattle dot their desert land. The same cattle they had been killing over and grazing people's farmland. By the time they are no longer allowed to come south to graze, it will get very interesting for them.

It would be so much fun to see their Almajiris being turned back at State borders. . .  Sanity baby!  cool
Time to remind them Normads who the boss is!!
Re: Sovereign National Conference: North Set For Showdown by komole: 6:10pm On Mar 08, 2012
[b](*strolls in and shakes head*)
I swear it will be a miracle for Nigeria to stand as a Nation by 2020.
Reading through most of the posters contributions (Except beaf, the natural buff-on and a few others), you will notice the post are coming from highly educated, well vast and up-to-date individuals.

When did things start to deteriorate so bad that people now put their village first before their state, and their state first before their country.
Even the oil revenue funds we are all fighting for, the so called governors of each state just embezzle the whole thing without using it for things to benefit the masses.

I think it is high time we reasonable youths (leaving out dulla-rds like beaf and his kind) come together to chat the way forward to see that Nigeria doesn't come to its total collapse. it might seems all smooth and funny now tackling ourselves but the scars and regrets of a split up will remain forever.

Lets remember that "United we stand, Divided we fall". We shouldn't allow those greedy politicians and traditional leaders brainwash us.

A sovereign national conference should be addressed once and for all and let's know where we have gone wrong and how to correct our mistakes.

When anything bad is caught or addressed against a Nigerian, we defend it if the perpetrator is from our region and condemn the act totally if we find out the person is from another ethnic group.

Let's us all think critically, because even if Nigeria splits, that wont make the ijaw man being friends with the urobho/itsekiri, or the fula/nupe man being friends with the hausa, or the ibibio being friends with the efik.

A solution to these whole ethnic battering lies in the hands of we youths.[/b]
Re: Sovereign National Conference: North Set For Showdown by niddamugu(m): 6:18pm On Mar 08, 2012
My fear about this SNC is that the time to complete it would take longer than normal. A typical instance, in this little forum we are already trading words, calling each other names and segregating. This is not a way forward. In fact, we can go on and on until a new government is sworn in and their tenure exhausted, while we are still "busy" exchanging words. sad sad sad sadNa wah for Nigerians O! angry angry angry angry
Re: Sovereign National Conference: North Set For Showdown by garsul: 6:36pm On Mar 08, 2012
Please what is the need for this SNC. We all have agreed what the problem is - the northern Muslim! Therefore the southerners and northern Christians should just hold a confrence and secede, or present a memo to the UN that they want their invitation to come and serve as an umpire.

I was very glad when when I sampled opinion and quite a overwhelming mass of northern Muslims have expressed their desire & joy for this breakup, at least we can have our poor country and live our lives our own way.

But the irony of this call for breakup lies with southerners who are living in the north who still have an illusion that they would be allowed to stay back up north, after the breakup.

So much hue about oil, a lot of countries have grown whitout any natural resource
Re: Sovereign National Conference: North Set For Showdown by okpurukata(f): 6:44pm On Mar 08, 2012
Which area is no man's land? What about the fishes and other aquatic life destroyed daily by the activities of oil production? Have they forgotten that these coast line dwellers are fishermen by profession. How do abokis reason? Very very selfish people. The heat is finally on.
Re: Sovereign National Conference: North Set For Showdown by niddamugu(m): 6:51pm On Mar 08, 2012
garsul:

Please what is the need for this SNC.  We all have agreed what the problem is - the northern Muslim!  Therefore the southerners and northern Christians should just hold a confrence and secede, or present a memo to the UN that they want their invitation to come and serve as an umpire.

I was very glad when  when I sampled opinion and quite a overwhelming mass of northern Muslims have expressed their desire & joy for this breakup, at least we can have our poor country and live our lives our own way.

But the irony of this call for breakup lies with southerners who are living in the north who still have an illusion that they would be allowed to stay back up north, after the breakup.

So much hue about oil, a lot of countries have grown whitout any natural resource

Exactly what i'm talking about. Ojukwu said we can be apart and still be united than being together and we perish, which is what is happening in Nigeria of today.

What do you mean by mass of northern Muslims? Are you referring to the ones in mile 12 or obalende or Idi-araba? Did you visit the north ([s]Boko Haram[/s] Borno inclusive) to get your samples? Stop getting excited over nothing jo.
Re: Sovereign National Conference: North Set For Showdown by Dede1(m): 6:56pm On Mar 08, 2012
I am very impressed with the Governor of Niger State. I have being reading the utterances of the governor for a period of time now and he has not missed a bit. The revenue accrued from off-shore wells belonged to all Nigerians and revenue derivation formula must reflect this simple understandable fact.

Any attack or military action within the 200 nautical mile off Nigeria coast is considered an attack on Nigeria not attack on Cross River, Rivers, Bayelsa, Delta, Akwa Ibom, Ondo, Ogun or Lagos State. States or regions or provinces are not recognized as an entity within international circles when territorial boundaries are the subject matter.  

The allocation derivation formula should only apply to revenue accrued from on-shore crude oil wells and only to the littoral states.
Re: Sovereign National Conference: North Set For Showdown by bakila: 7:23pm On Mar 08, 2012
newnairaway:

revenue Allocation palaver
Simple and short. The need to try to justify or show proof of rigging for jonathan by seemingly under- aged voters, voting for PDP.
Re: Sovereign National Conference: North Set For Showdown by nku5: 7:29pm On Mar 08, 2012
Truth is these northern elite have been acting like spoilt brats for the past 51 years. Abeg they should push for this snc quick make we hear word. All the mayhem we have endured in the name of one country
Re: Sovereign National Conference: North Set For Showdown by Gaskia: 7:45pm On Mar 08, 2012
Nigeria is defined and limited to a country with 36 states and the FCT. Any part therefore that is Nigeria must either belong to the FCT or any of the 36 states (this is constitutional). Therefore any part of land or water mass that is defined as Nigeria must be part of a state. Consequently, any onshore off shore dichotomy is either for a military buffer zone and not to define ownership of the area. 200 nautical mile argument with respect to derivation principle is political.
Re: Sovereign National Conference: North Set For Showdown by gidiMonsta(m): 7:49pm On Mar 08, 2012
I find it very annoying that the so-called educated Nigerians can call for the dissolution of this country, when we'll only end up inheriting the same corrupt system.

Let's say for instance we decide to carve this country up based on meaningless differences, here's the anticipated result:

Northern Nigeria (or Arewa Republic) - will not differ from the likes of Chad and Niger Republic.
Middle Belt (if they don't go with the north) - will most likely be like Central African Republic, an obscure nation in Africa.
Biafra (SE) - a landlocked monstrosity even worse than Cameroon
South-South - will end up like Cabinda (Eastern Angola) or Equitorial Guinea
Odua Republic (S/W) - probably gonna be worse than Benin Rep. and Togo

My question is this: why give up a country with the potential to rival Brazil and India? Secession is not the answer, don't let this thieving politicians deceive us into making the biggest mistakes of our lives. Our war should be directed at corruption not each other, take a cue from success stories such as Spain and Italy not failures like South Sudan (where tribal warlords have started anoda war).
Re: Sovereign National Conference: North Set For Showdown by Dede1(m): 7:53pm On Mar 08, 2012
As much as I agree with the Niger State governor on the off-shore issue and revenue allocation that stems from it, I do not support SNC because it is a waste of time and resources. Anything short of disintegration talk is foo1’s delight.
Re: Sovereign National Conference: North Set For Showdown by noiseless: 7:53pm On Mar 08, 2012
After 190 posts these are enough to know his is not igbo
niddamugu:

Re: Sovereign National Conference: North Set For Showdown by manny4life(m): 7:58pm On Mar 08, 2012
gidiMonsta:

I find it very annoying that the so-called educated Nigerians can call for the dissolution of this country, when we'll only end up inheriting the same corrupt system.

Let's say for instance we decide to carve this country up based on meaningless differences, here's the anticipated result:

Northern Nigeria (or Arewa Republic) - will not differ from the likes of Chad and Niger Republic.
Middle Belt (if they don't go with the north) - will most likely be like Central African Republic, an obscure nation in Africa.

My question is this: why give up a country with the potential to rival Brazil and India? Secession is not the answer, don't let this thieving politicians deceive us into making the biggest mistakes of our lives. Our war should be directed at corruption not each other, take a cue from success stories such as Spain and Italy not failures like South Sudan (where tribal warlords have started anoda war).

Clap for yourself, very awful analysis, It's your type that sees nothing good. South South will end up like Equatorial Guinea as in, please be more specific. Meanwhile you see no good out of SE (Biafra) because they're are landlocked, I guess most nations which are landlocked are in serious state of demise, mtshew, Even, you see no good in the SW, like seriously, worse than Benin Republic? Dude, you need to revisit your analysis with actual facts because this right here isn't working
Re: Sovereign National Conference: North Set For Showdown by Dede1(m): 8:05pm On Mar 08, 2012
gidiMonsta:

The only way to eradicate Nigeria’s corruption is to dissolve Nigeria. Once Nigeria is dissolved, it will no longer be Nigeri's issue but the issue of emerging nation that will allow its citizen to remain corrupted.

I urge you to reserve such worries for the emerging nation which you may belong after the disintegration of the cesspit called Nigeria. In fact, we are bent on taking cue from Spain, Italy, France or Germany where the citizens, at least, speak one understandable language without adopting English language as national or official medium of communication.
Re: Sovereign National Conference: North Set For Showdown by nagoma(m): 8:19pm On Mar 08, 2012
The northern committees should forget about SNC and concentrate on a future nation of northern Nigeria . There is no way we can continue in the same country with the SOUTHERNERS . It must be a peaceful separation . The 10 million ibos now enjoying the vast lands of the north must be received intact by their tiny enclave. We must not allow any of these people back. Forget about oil, think of the future world. We must make peace within the north and make kidnapping, 419 and drug trafficking punishable by hanging in order to discourage the heathens from infiltrating. It is not oil that makes a nation great but rule of law and steady level headed wel planned programs. North for NORTHERNERS and south for SOUTHERNERS .
Re: Sovereign National Conference: North Set For Showdown by Gaskia: 8:19pm On Mar 08, 2012
Water body is a continum. The effect of seismic activities, production, workover , compltion, spillage, flaring and others affect the connecting water from the high sea to the shallow water till the coast line land. This implies that the ND ppl are immediately and remotely facing the effects of deep off shore exploration n exploitation and as such deserve a fair share of the proceeds thereof. Their fishing, farming, transportation and habitable space are all affected by these offshore activities. So any part of the continental shelf ceeded to nigeria has a corresponding state within the enclave called nigeria. What we shd do is to passionately appeal to our ND brothers to please accept a revised revenue sharing arrangement for the sake of their brothers and sisters. We have no right to be arrogant in this appeal because we all need each other, if not today may be tomorow or next. We also especially in the north shd vow to reciprocate that by ending all sort of terrorism. We shd jointly respect the right of other zones like SE and other minorities to aspiring to lead Nigeria.
Re: Sovereign National Conference: North Set For Showdown by gidiMonsta(m): 8:28pm On Mar 08, 2012
manny4life:

Clap for yourself, very awful analysis,  It's your type that sees nothing good. South South will end up like Equatorial Guinea as in, please be more specific. Meanwhile you see no good out of SE (Biafra) because they're are landlocked, I guess most nations which are landlocked are in serious state of demise, mtshew,  Even, you see no good in the SW, like seriously, worse than Benin Republic?  Dude, you need to revisit your analysis with actual facts because this right here isn't working

Don't be delusional my friend, is it no these same Governors, Senators, LGA Chairmen that will head the newly formed countries? How are they different from the other leaders that have left these other African nations in a state of despair?

I believe my analysis is devoid of any tribal undertones, its an informed speculation of where we are heading if the newly formed countries inherit Nigeria's corrupt leaders.
Re: Sovereign National Conference: North Set For Showdown by saintohia: 8:32pm On Mar 08, 2012
Quote 4m Alj Harem
The reason why we are tolerating each other now is because of Crude oil; But as you can see we have gotten to the breaking point but the Igbo leaders are not talking

[color=#990000][/color] Can't u make a complete sentence without involving Igbos?
How are they not talking? Igbos shld start another war for u or what? When they spoke the last time did u ppl support Ojukwu?
Re: Sovereign National Conference: North Set For Showdown by gidiMonsta(m): 8:39pm On Mar 08, 2012
Dede1:

The only way to eradicate Nigeria’s corruption is to dissolve Nigeria. Once Nigeria is dissolved, it will no longer be Nigeri's issue but the issue of emerging nation that will allow its citizen to remain corrupted.

I urge you to reserve such worries for the emerging nation which you may belong after the disintegration of the cesspit called Nigeria. In fact, we are bent on taking cue from Spain, Italy, France or Germany where the citizens, at least, speak one understandable language without adopting English language as national or official medium of communication.

Dissolution of Nigeria is a very myopic solution to a very deep rooted problem. Italy and Spain have at one time went through what we are going through now and they found a way to make it work regardless of tribal inclinations.

BTW: wat do u suggest as the official lingua franca of the SS?
Re: Sovereign National Conference: North Set For Showdown by manny4life(m): 8:42pm On Mar 08, 2012
gidiMonsta:

Don't be delusional my friend, is it no these same Governors, Senators, LGA Chairmen that will head the newly formed countries? How are they different from the other leaders that have left these other African nations in a state of despair?

I believe my analysis is devoid of any tribal undertones, its an informed speculation of where we are heading if the newly formed countries inherit Nigeria's corrupt leaders.

I am not delusional, if I were you, I'll rather you speak of your ability to critically think before speaking. When newly formed countries are founded, are their principles based on one person or groups of persons of interest or for the people? Just because there are corrupt Senators and their likes are there, what makes you think that the same principles and laws of government that applied to the "Old Nigeria" will apply to the newly found Biafra or Oduduwa Republic or whichever it is. Brother, if Nigeria disintegrates today, the level of corruption you see today will be driven down to a limit; different constitutions will be written "for the people", different leaders WILL arise and the people WILL make certain that POWER and authority are in their hands NOT that of their leaders. An average Nigerian has seen the worse and their eyes have all opened, and eventually, when he goes to his new country, I'm sure things changing will affect his ability to speak out further.

For instance, the way Nigeria's Constitution is written is seriously and grossly flawed; Biafra, Oduduwa, Arewa Republics won't make the mistake of giving the entire power of governance to the hand of the FG. The system of government will take a new shape. As it is now, states go to Abuja monthly for their allocation, in a newly formed country with 6 or more states with an average population of 30million, government will rather zone by region rather than states to better governance. I hope you see my argument.
Re: Sovereign National Conference: North Set For Showdown by nduchucks: 8:46pm On Mar 08, 2012
Dede1:

I am very impressed with the Governor of Niger State. I have being reading the utterances of the governor for a period of time now and he has not missed a bit. The revenue accrued from off-shore wells belonged to all Nigerians and revenue derivation formula must reflect this simple understandable fact.

Any attack or military action within the 200 nautical mile off Nigeria coast is considered an attack on Nigeria not attack on Cross River, Rivers, Bayelsa, Delta, Akwa Ibom, Ondo, Ogun or Lagos State. States or regions or provinces are not recognized as an entity within international circles when territorial boundaries are the subject matter.  

The allocation derivation formula should only apply to revenue accrued from on-shore crude oil wells and only to the littoral states.

^+1000 This is a very honest post.  When the derivation formula is applied correctly, some of the lazy ND states will understand that they've been short changing the rest of us for some time now. With almost $1trilliion pumped into the so-called ND states in the past 10 - 15 years, the region should have been more developed than Abu-Dhabi by now. Bunch of lazy fools.

You promptly destroyed your otherwise wise utterances by the one below:

Dede1:

As much as I agree with the Niger State governor on the off-shore issue and revenue allocation that stems from it, I do not support SNC because it is a waste of time and resources. Anything short of disintegration talk is foo1’s delight.

Please tell me how an this disintegration with its accompanying bloodshed is better than true federalism, where each state would control its own resources, with the exception of those already developed using the assets of the federal government and offshore resources?
Re: Sovereign National Conference: North Set For Showdown by garsul: 8:57pm On Mar 08, 2012
Please what we need is a SBC- sovereign breakup conference!

The southerners should go form their country and their teeming population up north should pack their things and head south wards along with all their vices that have so spoilt the name of Nigeria among committy of nations, vices like 419, prostitution in foreign land, washing of plates and dead bodies in foreign countries, armed robbery, credit card fraud, kidnapping etc etc.

Please southerners secede and let us have peace, the oil revenue has always been a curse on the common man, so pls go with it
Re: Sovereign National Conference: North Set For Showdown by DaLover(m): 9:13pm On Mar 08, 2012
^^^
a curse thay u r begging for lol,
meanwhile true federalism will settle alll this nonsence, if all states pay taxes to FG, then it wouldnt even make sence for the FG to share the revenue from the sea,
parasites plenty sha
Re: Sovereign National Conference: North Set For Showdown by Dede1(m): 9:19pm On Mar 08, 2012
gidiMonsta:

Dissolution of Nigeria is a very myopic solution to a very deep rooted problem. Italy and Spain have at one time went through what we are going through now and they found a way to make it work regardless of tribal inclinations.

BTW: wat do u suggest as the official lingua franca of the SS?

Dissolution of Nigeria is a very hyperopic solution to a deep rooted problem. At least, Italy or Spain regarded itself as notion states with one language and destiny. It is a matter of foolhardy to draw any form of analogy between those nations with country such as Nigeria. You can see that I referred Italy and Spain as nations and Nigeria as a country. There must a common natural attribute among citizens of country to qualify it as a nation.

I do not give a rat arse what the hell the lingua franca of the SS would sound.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Nigeria Using UK Aid To Persecute PMB's Political Foes Rather To Fight Boko Hara / Thugs Attack Labour Party Meeting, Injure Members, Vandalise Properties In Enugu / Buhari Okays Jumbo Allowance For Villa Security Operatives

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 79
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.