Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,612 members, 7,809,235 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 06:21 AM

Is Christiano Ronaldo Better Than Lionel Messi? - European Football (EPL, UEFA, La Liga) (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / European Football (EPL, UEFA, La Liga) / Is Christiano Ronaldo Better Than Lionel Messi? (24534 Views)

Poll: Who is the best?

Christiano Ronaldo: 27% (3 votes)
Lionel Messi: 72% (8 votes)
This poll has ended

I Gave My Vote To Christiano Ronaldo But Shocked To Hear I Voted Messi-players / Arjen Robben Is Better Than Lionel Messi / Man-u Lose To Kaizer Chiefs On Pens, But Where Is Christiano? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Is Christiano Ronaldo Better Than Lionel Messi? by stepone(m): 3:36pm On Mar 08, 2012
who is Cristiano ronaldo? I think i knew Messi and Others
Re: Is Christiano Ronaldo Better Than Lionel Messi? by elampiro(m): 3:41pm On Mar 08, 2012
Ronaldo even as world best player at Man U, did not want to stay in a comfort zone. He went for a challenge in Madrid. If he were to be in the midst of Rooney, Giggs, Nani and Scholes he would surely have been doing better and winning more trophies.

Let Messi try elsewhere.
Re: Is Christiano Ronaldo Better Than Lionel Messi? by karpentar: 3:47pm On Mar 08, 2012
Anyone bringing up this debate is surely a ronaldo fan and is deliberately trying to be mischievous.secondly thou shall never write the name ronaldo before the name messi. Never! It is sacriledge.ronaldo should win a tea spoon for portugal, then compare. Ronaldo should prove himself individually  in the champions league then compare, ronaldo should win 3 ballon d'ors then compare,ronaldo should start getting comparisms with maradona and pele then compare. But until then kill this debate and quit with the petty market woman arguments such as this can score penalties, this should go to epl, that can use head that cannot, all thrash.

Best post in this debate. Well said. Nothing more to add.
Re: Is Christiano Ronaldo Better Than Lionel Messi? by andyanders: 3:51pm On Mar 08, 2012
To me I see Ronaldo as a Real Deal to football, while Messi is a spirit to football. Ronaldo is a complete footballer as he plays both legs. Messi plays only one leg. Ronaldo can adapt to any situation with club and country but Messi cannot be complete while playing with his country. Ronaldo has speed but Messi is smart and trickery and can destroy any defense if given room to operate with his left leg. Ronaldo can explode with the ball and completes his speed with a powerful goal which keepers finds difficult to hold. Messi does many things with the ball that any human being finds difficult analyse.

Messi complements his efforts because of the kind of players with him as a team. If he gets to another club, he cannot be able to display his natural gift as a footballer. Ronaldo is a complete footballer no matter any club he plays. Messi can be marked out completely if you have a very good defenders. Ronaldo can score from anywhere and any meter. He can score any deft balls from long distance.
I give this to Ronaldo no matter that Messi has been winning as footballer of the yr.
Re: Is Christiano Ronaldo Better Than Lionel Messi? by AJpikin: 3:51pm On Mar 08, 2012
no! never! mba! nehi!
Re: Is Christiano Ronaldo Better Than Lionel Messi? by IRAPADA(m): 4:01pm On Mar 08, 2012
Ronaldo is better,
Re: Is Christiano Ronaldo Better Than Lionel Messi? by hbrednic: 4:02pm On Mar 08, 2012
elampiro:

Ronaldo even as world best player at Man U, did not want to stay in a comfort zone. He went for a challenge in Madrid. If he were to be in the midst of Rooney, Giggs, Nani and Scholes he would surely have been doing better and winning more trophies.
Let Messi try elsewhere.
with messi you cant see the ball,all the people you mentioned were 2wice his victims.
ask van dar sarr,if he wants to meet messi on the pitch again.
Re: Is Christiano Ronaldo Better Than Lionel Messi? by IRAPADA(m): 4:03pm On Mar 08, 2012
Ronaldo all d way
Re: Is Christiano Ronaldo Better Than Lionel Messi? by IRAPADA(m): 4:04pm On Mar 08, 2012
Ronaldo is better,
Re: Is Christiano Ronaldo Better Than Lionel Messi? by karpentar: 4:06pm On Mar 08, 2012
To me I see Ronaldo as a Real Deal to football, while Messi is a spirit to football. Ronaldo is a complete footballer as he plays both legs. Messi plays only one leg. Ronaldo can adapt to any situation with club and country but Messi cannot be complete while playing with his country. Ronaldo has speed but Messi is smart and trickery and can destroy any defense if given room to operate with his left leg. Ronaldo can explode with the ball and completes his speed with a powerful goal which keepers finds difficult to hold. Messi does many things with the ball that any human being finds difficult analyse.

Messi complements his efforts because of the kind of players with him as a team. If he gets to another club, he cannot be able to display his natural gift as a footballer. Ronaldo is a complete footballer no matter any club he plays. Messi can be marked out completely if you have a very good defenders. Ronaldo can score from anywhere and any meter. He can score any deft balls from long distance.
I give this to Ronaldo no matter that Messi has been winning as footballer of the

You messi haters should thank your stars that messi plays with only one leg. That one leg that is 100 % better than all the Ronaldo body parts. Stupid debate that I am sure was raised by a Ronaldo or maurinho fan. No messi fan will raise such a silly argument, because we are not measuring up to anybody. Empty drums only make noise.

1 Like

Re: Is Christiano Ronaldo Better Than Lionel Messi? by TRUTHTELA: 4:16pm On Mar 08, 2012
"Messi is the best ever. I played in a great LFC team of the late 70s and early 80s which ruled Europe but I must say i think this Barcelona team would batter us." Former Liverpool midfielder Terry McDermott

"Messi is a joke. For me the best ever." Manchester United striker Wayne Rooney

"Fella's a genius! Best ever by a distance in my lifetime! Never really saw Pele." Match of the Day presenter Gary Lineker

"Not old enough to see some of the greats but I can't believe anyone can have played the game of football as well as Messi." Manchester United striker Michael Owen

Culled from bbc.co.uk/sports
Re: Is Christiano Ronaldo Better Than Lionel Messi? by rabzy: 4:20pm On Mar 08, 2012
andyanders:

I give this to Ronaldo no matter that Messi has been winning as footballer of the yr.

Alex Ferguson has coached just one team for donkey years and only in one league and he is rated as one of the best if not the best coach, why una no tell am make e dey waka about like Mourinho. Mourinho is an itinerant coach, he would always be looking for a place to go, most times for ego tripping and to perpetuate that 'special one' thing. Thats his style, Ronaldo also has an ego equal to if not greater than jose's own, he can't stand any coach or team, or mates for too long, he would want to leave, thats his cup of tea.

For those who say messi plays with xavi, iniesta etc, who does C.Ronaldo plays with, is it kaita or diop, he plays with the best, look at MAN U squad he played with, look at Madrid, with Ozil, Benzema, Kaka, Hiquain, these are the best of the best, skill for skill they are better than all Barca players except Messi. The whole team played for C.Ronaldo in Man U, in Real Madrid, CR7 is King and they also play for him.

In Barca, Messi plays for the team, He gives even more than he takes, His passes are so sublime it makes you cry, check out that pass to Abidal against madrid, that was totally beyond words.

No one like him at present, he is taking the world best 5 consecutive times and no one is going to stop, the only way to stop him is either you break his leg on the field or you shoot him dead in his home, Shikena
Re: Is Christiano Ronaldo Better Than Lionel Messi? by elampiro(m): 4:26pm On Mar 08, 2012
It is Xavi and Iniester that made Messi great period! Let him leave them to another team to see how he would shine. Ronaldo was able to leave the comfort of Rooney and co. If Ronaldo plays in Barca with support of Xavi, Iniesrter and Alves, he will score 100 goals in a season. Ronaldo is practically doing things all by himself in Madrid. Defenders do not get confused about Messi, but mostly for the options he has in his team mates. When he is with the ball, Iniester, Villa, Alves and Pedro will all be running into space and thereby making it difficult for the defenders and easy for Messi. Remove him from Pedro, Villa, Alves, Xavi, Iniester, Busqute (4gotten d spelling), he will be as useless as when he plays in Copa America.In summary, it is the individual talents in Barca that helps Messi.
Re: Is Christiano Ronaldo Better Than Lionel Messi? by elampiro(m): 4:33pm On Mar 08, 2012
Rabzy,Alex Ferguson turned Aberdeen from a relatively unknow team to champions of Scottish football for years and also won European titles there. When he got there Celtic and Rangers were ruling Scottish League, but he pushed them down for all the years he stayed at Aberdeen. Go and check history.
Re: Is Christiano Ronaldo Better Than Lionel Messi? by ddippset(m): 4:58pm On Mar 08, 2012
The champions league is a neutral platform for comparison. What happens? Messi owns ronaldo big time.ronaldo-did wonders in the epl, performed and proved himself. Comes to la liga and is still nothing but second best, living in the shadlow of messi.so like jay z, what more can I say?
Re: Is Christiano Ronaldo Better Than Lionel Messi? by dayokanu(m): 5:03pm On Mar 08, 2012
Messi definitely

Anyone that says Ronaldo should bring forth his argument
Re: Is Christiano Ronaldo Better Than Lionel Messi? by elampiro(m): 5:04pm On Mar 08, 2012
Ronaldo is not second best to Messi in Laliga. He is the leading scorer despite weak support, and has always be the top or joint top scorer. It looks like he is propelling Madrid to the title this season over the star studded Barca.
Re: Is Christiano Ronaldo Better Than Lionel Messi? by dayokanu(m): 5:08pm On Mar 08, 2012
^^ Who says Ronaldo has no support in Madrid?

he is supported by Kaka- former World player of the year, Ozil- German player of the year, Benzema, Di maria and coached by the best manager in the world
Re: Is Christiano Ronaldo Better Than Lionel Messi? by elampiro(m): 5:24pm On Mar 08, 2012
Who is Kaka nowadays? Just compare these Madrid player with the Barca players who are mostly the guys that made Spanish team. Those guys, Xavi, Iniester, Puyol, Pique, Villa, Bousqet, Pedro made Barca just as they made Spanish team. That's why we have both teams as the best now, not because of any Messi. Messi is great, but he is also an opportunist.
Re: Is Christiano Ronaldo Better Than Lionel Messi? by Esinwaju: 5:26pm On Mar 08, 2012
@Elampiro. Will you stop spewing thrash here? Check your stats before commenting! Ozil-Di maria have assisted more cr7 goals than Xavi-Iniesta has done for El messias. In your ridiculous attempt to elevate Penaldo(Yes penaldo because 10 outta his total goals in the la liga were from the penalty spot) above Messi, you reduced players like Ozil, kaka and Di maria to nobodies by saying penaldo does it all by himself at madrid. You have let sentimenents becloud your reasoning. You even said defenders don't find Messi confusing? Dude you are a sattire and it will be pointless to debate this with you. Peace.

1 Like

Re: Is Christiano Ronaldo Better Than Lionel Messi? by ddippset(m): 5:26pm On Mar 08, 2012
Football is such a beautiful game,for some of us watching it is like having s*x.football is not all about putting the ball in the back of the net.but of course ronaldo has been second best to messi since he arrived in la liga.since he came it is messi who has always been la liga player of the season.since he came it is messi who has been world player of the year,it is messi who is gonna be champions league best player 3 out of the past 4 seasons.so iam not saying ronaldo has been second best scorer to messi even though he actually is in all competitions but I am saying he has been second best player to messi.
Re: Is Christiano Ronaldo Better Than Lionel Messi? by IdiAmin2(m): 5:29pm On Mar 08, 2012
I won't say 'better'; the word is 'More complete'.
CR7 can do everything Messi can and a little bit more, like freekicks, headers, penalties.
But that does not make CR7 a better player, he is just more complete
It's hard to choose
If I have to choose, I will pick CR7
Re: Is Christiano Ronaldo Better Than Lionel Messi? by elampiro(m): 5:38pm On Mar 08, 2012
Esin waju:
I take an exception. Don't attack my person but my comments.
You appear not to know football even. Do you know the current worth of Xavi and Iniester. The two guys who won 2nd and 3rd world best two years ago and Xavi won came among the top three currently? Who is Ozil compare to these guys? Di Maria is good but is far from those guys. Xavi is currently the greatest midfielder and he hardly loses possession. It is only Zidane in his hey days you can mention in comparison. All these players and Alves, Villa and Pedro can confused any defence. Messi is so opportuned. You see what these guys can achieve with the Spanish team without Messi, but Messi. They made Barca tick.
Re: Is Christiano Ronaldo Better Than Lionel Messi? by ddippset(m): 5:41pm On Mar 08, 2012
What is more complete? That is in applicable in football. Just like frank bruno is more complete than mike tyson but we all know what happened between them. in football we do not care who is more complete, we want to know who is better. And who all know who.pele speaks his name every other day.
Re: Is Christiano Ronaldo Better Than Lionel Messi? by ddippset(m): 5:45pm On Mar 08, 2012
Spain struggled to win the world cup,grinding out a lot of 1-0 resultsm but if they had messi they would have won their games by 3-0, 4-0. I bet you.
Re: Is Christiano Ronaldo Better Than Lionel Messi? by elampiro(m): 5:53pm On Mar 08, 2012
So, what happened to Argentina that had Messi in the world cup and Copa America? Do you know the worth of Argentina in world football? Almost like Brazil. When the Ronaldo Lima was worl best, he was able to propell his team and colleague, the Brazillian national team to play the world cup final in 2008 and won it in 2002. The current Ronaldo CR9 has even helped Portugal to a world cup Semi finals in 2006. What has Messi done outside Barca?
Re: Is Christiano Ronaldo Better Than Lionel Messi? by sunky644(m): 6:13pm On Mar 08, 2012
@OP, don't give yourself unnecessary headache. 90% of those claiming It's Christiano Ronaldo are either Man U or Real Madrid fans showing they are sentimental. Messi is better than CRonaldo ( although he is a very good player ), hope you are aware that Messi just set another world record yesterday as the only player to ve scored Five goals in a single UCL match in the knock out stage.
Pls people, for crying out loud don't compare them anymore cos very soon Messi will still set another record as the first and only footballer to win the Ballon d'or award three consecutive times. I am damn sure he will win that Ballon D'or at least five times before he will finally fade away.
Re: Is Christiano Ronaldo Better Than Lionel Messi? by sunky644(m): 6:18pm On Mar 08, 2012
The same Messi you claim to be useless for Argentina scored a hat trick for Argentina two weeks ago.
Re: Is Christiano Ronaldo Better Than Lionel Messi? by Esinwaju: 6:27pm On Mar 08, 2012
@elampiro. Messi was the brainbox of argentina at the 2010wc. He may not have scored a goal but he assisted a chunk of those goals scored. Messi at u20 level was the highest goal scorer at that tournament, a tournament he won for his country and 3yrs later he won the olympic gold with his country. Now i want you to name the achievements penaldo has with his country.
Re: Is Christiano Ronaldo Better Than Lionel Messi? by medjai(m): 6:31pm On Mar 08, 2012
elampiro:

Let Messi try elsewhere.
You mean Rooney, Giggs, Scholes, Nani are better than Ozil, di Maria, Higuain, Benzema, Kaka, Alonso?

You don't know what you are talking about.
Re: Is Christiano Ronaldo Better Than Lionel Messi? by elampiro(m): 6:31pm On Mar 08, 2012
Messi scored three goals for Argentina against which team and what tournament?

Messi won Junior trophies with Argentina? We are talking of senior football. At least I know Cristiano Ronald has played a world cup semi finals (2006) for Portugal. Portugal is not even a force in national football, yet he got them there.
Re: Is Christiano Ronaldo Better Than Lionel Messi? by Esinwaju: 6:35pm On Mar 08, 2012
Lengendary coaches like Arrigo Sacchi and analysts world over have at a point or the other compared Messi with Pele and Maradona. I don't recall anyone of these people bringing up Penaldo whenever the debate of who is the greatest is brought up.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Fulham Vs Manchester United (1 - 2) On 13th November 2022 / Manchester City Vs Tottenham Hotspur (4 - 2) On 19th January 2023 / Manchester United Vs Wolfsburg: UCL: (2 - 1) On 30th September 2015

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 56
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.