Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,409 members, 7,819,465 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 04:49 PM

South Africa Uses Yellow Fever To Embarrass Nigeria - Shehu Malami - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / South Africa Uses Yellow Fever To Embarrass Nigeria - Shehu Malami (6215 Views)

Osinbajo And Malami In Turf War Over $1.3billion Malabu Scam - Premium Times / Buhari Raises Alarm, Says Terrorists Returning To Embarrass Govt / Senate Plans To Embarrass Lamorde For Investigating Saraki's Wife - TheCable (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

South Africa Uses Yellow Fever To Embarrass Nigeria - Shehu Malami by mukina2: 11:35am On Mar 08, 2012
mission by then President Olusegun Obasanjo to attend the inauguration of newly-elected South African President Thabo Mbeki was almost aborted at the last minute because of a row over yellow fever vaccination, Nigeria’s former High Commissioner to South Africa Ambassador Shehu Malami said yesterday.

Speaking to Daily Trust on telephone, the former High Commissioner said South African authorities have a long history of using yellow fever vaccination to embarrass Nigeria even at the highest level. He said when President Obasanjo’s plane landed at Johannesburg in 1999, South African officials demanded to see the yellow fever vaccination certificates of everyone on board before the plane’s doors could be opened. On the president’s entourage on that trip, he said, were Governors Bola Tinubu and Rabiu Kwankwaso of Lagos and Kano States, as well as then PDP national chairman Chief Solomon Lar.

Malami said, “When I was told of the South African demand, I went up to their officials and said they should not worry about opening the plane’s doors or anyone coming down. They should simply arrange to refuel the plane. I will go on board and advise my president to return home. They should not worry, no one will disembark.” He said when he delivered that threat, the South Africans dropped their demand and the president and his entourage disembarked.

He said before that incident, he had another high profile spat with South African officials over yellow fever vaccination. He said during the Abacha era, then Communications Minister Major General Patrick Aziza arrived in Johannesburg and the South Africans demanded to see his yellow fever. Aziza had none, he said, so they said they would give him an injection and as well quarantine him.

Malami spoke yesterday in the wake of controversy that followed the deportation of 125 Nigerians on arrival in Johannesburg last week over alleged fake yellow fever vaccine cards.

http://dailytrust.com.ng/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=156625:malami-safrica-uses-yellow-fever-to-embarrass-nigeria-37-more-safricans-deported&catid=1:news&Itemid=2
Re: South Africa Uses Yellow Fever To Embarrass Nigeria - Shehu Malami by Akwasi(m): 11:46am On Mar 08, 2012
is yellow fever a requirement? I dont see the problem here
Re: South Africa Uses Yellow Fever To Embarrass Nigeria - Shehu Malami by GWslim(f): 11:49am On Mar 08, 2012
South Africa should tell Nigerian Govt their criteria for authentic Yellow card.
Re: South Africa Uses Yellow Fever To Embarrass Nigeria - Shehu Malami by hbrednic: 11:51am On Mar 08, 2012
wonders shall never end
Re: South Africa Uses Yellow Fever To Embarrass Nigeria - Shehu Malami by RSA(m): 11:53am On Mar 08, 2012
SA Cabinet shocked at Nigerian incident
MAR 8, 2012 | SAPA | 8 COMMENTS
“Cabinet expressed shock and regret at reports regarding how African foreign nationals, particularly Nigerians, have been treated at OR Tambo International Airport”

Cabinet was shocked by the treatment reportedly meted out to African foreign nationals, particularly Nigerians, at OR Tambo International Airport, Minister in the Presidency Collins Chabane said on Thursday.

Briefing the media in Cape Town following Cabinet’s fortnightly meeting the day before, he said a task team had been set up to investigate the matter.

“Cabinet expressed shock and regret at reports regarding how African foreign nationals, particularly Nigerians, have been treated at OR Tambo International Airport,” Chabane said

“The genesis of the issue seems to be about yellow fever certificates. A high-level ministerial task team comprised of the various affected ministries has been set up to get to the bottom of the issue.”

Chabane said a joint media briefing, involving the department of international relations and co-operation and the Nigerian High Commission, would be held at noon on Thursday.

“The details of what exactly happened and further remedial measures will be discussed at that briefing,” he said.

http://www.sowetanlive.co.za/news/2012/03/08/sa-cabinet-shocked-at-nigerian-incident
Re: South Africa Uses Yellow Fever To Embarrass Nigeria - Shehu Malami by omo9ja1(m): 11:54am On Mar 08, 2012
hmmm now we all see the light during the then abacha regime to shun the ANC ( African Nation CUP) then we are shouting that he was a bad leader he saw the arogant of the S'africa a while back now over to you GEJ to finish the fight for Nigeria. is about time we get the respect we derserve
Re: South Africa Uses Yellow Fever To Embarrass Nigeria - Shehu Malami by kokoA(m): 11:55am On Mar 08, 2012
hbrednic:

H.I.V ravaged ugly baboons,asking for a yellow fever card. wonders shall never end

Thats the most annoying thing sef. Very ugly set of human beings with HIV written all over their urgly faces. I blame Nigerians that even go to that shyte-hole to work.
Re: South Africa Uses Yellow Fever To Embarrass Nigeria - Shehu Malami by Nayah(f): 11:59am On Mar 08, 2012
Here is a intervention of a SA and it confirms what I've noticed, this is above the yellow card

RobinH
"So what action will Nigeria take? Stop the flow of drugs and sex-slaves to our shores? Yeah, right. I am fully behind proper vetting of incoming persons. Let's not get all xenophobic about the fact that these were Nigerians".
Re: South Africa Uses Yellow Fever To Embarrass Nigeria - Shehu Malami by Vickivicki(m): 12:07pm On Mar 08, 2012
RSA:

SA Cabinet shocked at Nigerian incident
MAR 8, 2012 | SAPA | 8 COMMENTS
“Cabinet expressed shock and regret at reports regarding how African foreign nationals, particularly Nigerians,  have been treated at OR Tambo International Airport”

Cabinet was shocked by the treatment reportedly meted out to African foreign nationals, particularly Nigerians, at OR Tambo International Airport, Minister in the Presidency Collins Chabane said on Thursday.

Briefing the media in Cape Town following Cabinet’s fortnightly meeting the day before, he said a task team had been set up to investigate the matter.

“Cabinet expressed shock and regret at reports regarding how African foreign nationals, particularly Nigerians,  have been treated at OR Tambo International Airport,” Chabane said

“The genesis of the issue seems to be about yellow fever certificates. A high-level ministerial task team comprised of the various affected ministries has been set up to get to the bottom of the issue.”

Chabane said a joint media briefing, involving the department of international relations and co-operation and the Nigerian High Commission, would be held at noon on Thursday.

“The details of what exactly happened and further remedial measures will be discussed at that briefing,” he said.

http://www.sowetanlive.co.za/news/2012/03/08/sa-cabinet-shocked-at-nigerian-incident
kokoA:

Thats the most annoying thing sef. Very ugly set of human beings with HIV written all over their urgly faces. I blame Nigerians that even go to that shyte-hole to work.

Hmmmmmmmmmm , this is getting interesting

Another Boko Haram like scare on your face Jona, show your colour.
Re: South Africa Uses Yellow Fever To Embarrass Nigeria - Shehu Malami by Osiris212(f): 12:11pm On Mar 08, 2012
One out of every four south african is HIV positive. Legend has it that there is an on-going "viral load" competition among south africans. Even the president is infected.

7 out every 10 south african women are unhealthy !!

Nayah:

Here is a intervention of a SA and it confirms what I've noticed, this is above the yellow card

RobinH
"So what action will Nigeria take? Stop the flow of drugs and sex-slaves to our shores? Yeah, right. I am fully behind proper vetting of incoming persons. Let's not get all xenophobic about the fact that these were Nigerians".

Re: South Africa Uses Yellow Fever To Embarrass Nigeria - Shehu Malami by ndsmartt(m): 12:23pm On Mar 08, 2012
This is absolutely unexpectable, from a country we help to fight for their independence. But the question still remain, even if 9ja infect SA population with yellow fever, why can't they treat themselves,
It seem to me that SA president is looking for a way to retaliate on Nigeria, the role they play in the Libyan Gaddafi war.
Re: South Africa Uses Yellow Fever To Embarrass Nigeria - Shehu Malami by Akaraiwe(m): 12:23pm On Mar 08, 2012
When I arrived passport control in Oliver Tambo airport,South Africa,a young Nigerian next to me in queue,was asked to produce his yellow card,but on the card only C.S.M and Cholera was endorsed on it,there wasn't any yellow fever shown. The boy was asked by the immigration lady why he did he have yellow fever endorsed. The dumb lad couldn't defend it. The thing is many cards are issued so long you pay for it. Sincerely most people aren't vaccinated.
Re: South Africa Uses Yellow Fever To Embarrass Nigeria - Shehu Malami by HEALTHREMEDY: 12:25pm On Mar 08, 2012
WE ARE WATCHING THE GAME CAREFULLY.

YOU CAN SEND AN EMAIL TO ME LETS SEND YOU THE NATURAL PLANTS INFECTION FREE APPLICATION FORMULA ON:

healthremedy@yahoo.com
(please carry the massage alone if this natural formula works for you thanks)
Re: South Africa Uses Yellow Fever To Embarrass Nigeria - Shehu Malami by betty009(f): 12:28pm On Mar 08, 2012
I am Miss Betty Bill, I work with Dell Company here in the United State of America (Chicago Branch)

Sir it have come to my notice that Electronics sell very well there in West Africa, meaning that Nigeria is the place were Electronics is highly required in the Market.

i have decided to look our for God fearing and humble Nigerian, due to i am planning on establishing a Whole Sales and Retailers buying site there in Nigeria, where Nigerians can buy it cheap and easy.

These men are to represent the me there in Nigeria and each will handle each selling site there

But first, i will give each man a try by sending little quantity of the products to them and if you can sell and send the money back, then you have created a trust.

If you are interested you are to forward any required information to my mail
Full Name:
to (bettybill98@yahoo.com)
Re: South Africa Uses Yellow Fever To Embarrass Nigeria - Shehu Malami by jot01(m): 12:38pm On Mar 08, 2012
Re: South Africa Uses Yellow Fever To Embarrass Nigeria - Shehu Malami by babaowo: 12:40pm On Mar 08, 2012
Those south african's are bunches of ingrates.
Re: South Africa Uses Yellow Fever To Embarrass Nigeria - Shehu Malami by anonimi: 12:48pm On Mar 08, 2012
Akaraiwe:

When I arrived passport control in Oliver Tambo airport,South Africa,a young Nigerian next to me in queue,was asked to produce his yellow card,but on the card only C.S.M and Cholera was endorsed on it,there wasn't any yellow fever shown. The boy was asked by the immigration lady why he did he have yellow fever endorsed. The dumb lad couldn't defend it. The thing is many cards are issued so long you pay for it. Sincerely most people aren't vaccinated.

Why is it so convenient for us to be [size=13pt]deviants and delinquents[/size], old and young even when the rule is for our own benefit
What is the big deal about having vaccinations against diseases we may contract while in another country
Re: South Africa Uses Yellow Fever To Embarrass Nigeria - Shehu Malami by Akaraiwe(m): 1:01pm On Mar 08, 2012
You can get vaccinated and be sure of your
Yellow card's authenticity at health centers in major local government offices nationwide
Re: South Africa Uses Yellow Fever To Embarrass Nigeria - Shehu Malami by ekeroyal(m): 1:44pm On Mar 08, 2012
Ok, it's simple. t.it for tat no time
embarassed embarassed embarassed embarassed embarassed embarassed embarassed embarassed embarassed embarassed embarassed
Re: South Africa Uses Yellow Fever To Embarrass Nigeria - Shehu Malami by Dblank(f): 2:06pm On Mar 08, 2012
What nonsense,i dont blame them anyway when nigerians too run to south african as if it ONE unique country.Though there ECONOMY over there is alot better than nigerias.So why wont they TALK.Next time before they come into NIGERIA we will have to screen them for HIV/AIDS,so that they wont come and polute our country for us.Look at KETTLE calling POT black.Those FOOLS ARE SO ARROGANT.Nonsense!
Re: South Africa Uses Yellow Fever To Embarrass Nigeria - Shehu Malami by Dblank(f): 2:10pm On Mar 08, 2012
What nonsense,i dont blame them anyway when nigerians too run to south african as if it ONE unique country.Though there ECONOMY over there is alot better than nigerias.So why wont they TALK.Next time before they come into NIGERIA we will have to screen them for HIV/AIDS,so that they wont come and polute our country for us.Look at KETTLE calling POT black.Those FOOLS ARE SO ARROGANT.Nonsense!
Re: South Africa Uses Yellow Fever To Embarrass Nigeria - Shehu Malami by LEXYLOV: 2:44pm On Mar 08, 2012
Yellow fever and HIV/AIDS which one is better Question to all south Africans in DA house undecided??
Re: South Africa Uses Yellow Fever To Embarrass Nigeria - Shehu Malami by Joshcoli(m): 5:37pm On Mar 08, 2012
hbrednic:

H.I.V ravaged ugly baboons,asking for a yellow fever card. wonders shall never end

Gbam!!!
Re: South Africa Uses Yellow Fever To Embarrass Nigeria - Shehu Malami by thoniann(m): 6:52pm On Mar 08, 2012
@Betty008
Dat scam method is so out-dated. Get a website where potential dealers can access your company's information, assess your trading terms and a proper contact address. Don't push this thing further or else I will report your post to the appropriate anti-graft agency.
Scammer.
Re: South Africa Uses Yellow Fever To Embarrass Nigeria - Shehu Malami by deols(f): 8:13pm On Mar 08, 2012
[size=15pt]why wont Nigerians do the right thing. [/size]
Re: South Africa Uses Yellow Fever To Embarrass Nigeria - Shehu Malami by Arosa(m): 9:07pm On Mar 08, 2012
D blank:

Nigerian should even make it a rule that any Nigerian that have lived in SA for more than a month should have his hiv status known before allowed back into naija. Nigeria needs to protect its self very well. enough said. lipsrsealed
Re: South Africa Uses Yellow Fever To Embarrass Nigeria - Shehu Malami by Yeske2(m): 10:24pm On Mar 08, 2012
Arosa:

Nigerian should even make it a rule that any Nigerian that have lived in SA for more than a month should have his hiv status known before allowed back into naija. Nigeria needs to protect its self very well. enough said. lipsrsealed
WORD
Re: South Africa Uses Yellow Fever To Embarrass Nigeria - Shehu Malami by Detongue: 12:02am On Mar 09, 2012
We hv d right to also embarass dem by asking 4 their HIV certificate, yeye ppl
Re: South Africa Uses Yellow Fever To Embarrass Nigeria - Shehu Malami by Nobody: 3:33am On Mar 09, 2012
Sorry to say this, South Africans are the most ignorant people on the continent.
Re: South Africa Uses Yellow Fever To Embarrass Nigeria - Shehu Malami by bukola: 2:33pm On Mar 09, 2012
the yellow card is a small thing i think nigeria to should stnd and say any sa coming to nigeria should tender his\her hiv test result
Re: South Africa Uses Yellow Fever To Embarrass Nigeria - Shehu Malami by RSA(m): 2:55pm On Mar 09, 2012
bukola:

the yellow card is a small thing i think nigeria to should stnd and say any sa coming to nigeria should tender his\her hiv test result

Too many fools here,who think with their village brains.

If we look at the numbers Nigeria is the second country behind South Africa with the highest HIV prevalence.

http://www.avert.org/africa-hiv-aids-statistics.htm

Take the fact that in South Africa almost each and every person have tested for HIV and the records are close to 100% correct. The Nigerian number is an estimate based on the cases that are reported,there are millions in Nigeria who don't know their status or who knows it but could not divulge that information to anyone because of their religions or don't want to bring disgrace to their families.

So who know that majority of visitors to South Africa including that Senator where here for HIV/AIDS medical,since South Africa is almost the expert on the disease? If you don't belief me look at the life expectancy between our two countries.Even with AIDS South Africans live longer than Nigerians.

1 Like

Re: South Africa Uses Yellow Fever To Embarrass Nigeria - Shehu Malami by Nobody: 2:59pm On Mar 09, 2012
RSA:

Too many fools here,who think with their village brains.

If we look at the numbers Nigeria is the second country behind South Africa with the highest HIV prevalence.

http://www.avert.org/africa-hiv-aids-statistics.htm

Take the fact that in South Africa almost each and every person have tested for HIV and the records are close to 100% correct. The Nigerian number is an estimate based on the cases that are reported,there are millions in Nigeria who don't know their status or who knows it but could not divulge  that information to anyone because of their religions or don't want to bring disgrace to their families.

So who know that majority of visitors to South Africa including that Senator where here for HIV/AIDS medical,since South Africa is almost the expert on the disease? If you don't belief me look at the life expectancy between our two countries.Even with AIDS South Africans live longer than Nigerians.
How are we not sure South Africans brought the epidemic to Nigeria? Go back to the hole you crawled out of. You arise as soon as you hear news about Nigerians peddling drugs and trafficking on your girls. Your country people ignorance is nauseating. Anyway, they have already lost my respect for stereotype and xenophobia.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Oldest And Youngest Serving Governors / Oshiomhole Pardons Two Prisoners Condemned To Death / Funny But Pathetic Situation of Child Abuse in Nigeria

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 59
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.