Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,195,535 members, 7,958,647 topics. Date: Wednesday, 25 September 2024 at 07:40 PM

Bakare, El-rufai Storm Nnewi For Ojukwu - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Bakare, El-rufai Storm Nnewi For Ojukwu (5036 Views)

El Rufai And His Son Observe Sallah Prayers With Muslim Faithfuls In Kaduna.pics / Power Blocs Backing Buhari –Tunde Bakare / For Ojukwu, I Wished I Were Born Igbo – By Femi Fani-kayode (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Bakare, El-rufai Storm Nnewi For Ojukwu by OAM4J: 5:25am On Mar 10, 2012
Bakare, el-Rufai storm Nnewi for Ojukwu

The vice-presidential candidate of the Congress for Progressive Change in the 2011 election, Pastor Tunde Bakare, and former Minister of the Federal Capital Territory, Mallam Nasir el-Rufai, were among top members of the party that visited Nnewi on Friday to condole with the family of the late Biafran leader, Chief Emeka Odumegwu-Ojukwu.

Bakare, who led the CPC delegation, said they were sent by former Head of State, Maj.-Gen. Muhammadu Buhari, to convey his condolences to the Ojukwu family.

He said Buhari was recuperating in a UK hospital after undergoing surgery and could not come personally.

The other members of the delegation were the Publicity Secretary of CPC, Mr. Rotimi Fashakin; the party’s governorship candidate in Enugu State, Mr. Osita Okechukwu; and Buhari’s spokesman, Mr. Yinka Odumakin.

Bakare described the late Ikemba as a great man that spent his lifetime fighting for justice, equity and fair play in Nigeria, and prayed God to grant his son, Emeka Ojukwu Jr., who received them, the grace to fit into Ojukwu’s shoes.

He said what Ojukwu stood for would become even more evident after his demise, as the country was still battling with the issues he raised during the Nigerian Civil War.

“We are grateful for the life your father lived. He was a great man. We thank God for the role he played before, during and after the Nigerian Civil War.

“He fought to protect the interest of his own people as a part of a united nation. His desire was that any Nigerian can live in any place of his choice. And many people have come to appreciate him for that,” Bakare said.

He said Ojukwu fought for national integration after he returned from exile and for everyone to be fairly treated wherever they resided and in spite of their state of origin.

El-Rufai said Buhari and Ojukwu were contemporaries in the military and in party politics and were firm and straightforward in their dealings.

He recalled that Ojukwu was the chairman of the Board of Trustees of the All Nigeria Peoples Party, which sponsored Buhari twice as its presidential candidate.

He said the people would not forget that Ojukwu fought for justice, equality and against discrimination on the basis of state of origin in the public service.

He said, “He was very intelligent, a very wise man with sound sense of balance. Nigerians will miss him because in these trying times in which our unity is being threatened with all sorts of insurgences, we need the wisdom, experience and the sense of balance of Ojukwu, who lived and fought for equal opportunity and justice.”

Ojukwu (Jr.) thanked the CPC delegation for finding time to visit the family.

http://www.punchng.com/news/bakare-el-rufai-storm-nnewi-for-ojukwu/
Re: Bakare, El-rufai Storm Nnewi For Ojukwu by papatosibe: 5:33am On Mar 10, 2012
Ojuiku fought for his own selfishness.

Can we just bury the damn p/e/d/o/p//h/i/l/e already
Re: Bakare, El-rufai Storm Nnewi For Ojukwu by TRUTHTELA: 5:59am On Mar 10, 2012
I can only appreciate this visit cos they came on behalf of someone I see as the last man STANDING (Gen. Buhari). It's a SMART political move to counter PDP's huge participation in the funeral.
Re: Bakare, El-rufai Storm Nnewi For Ojukwu by Onlytruth(m): 6:53am On Mar 10, 2012
Ojukwu and Buhari were not military contemporaries. Ojukwu was at least three ranks ahead of Buhari.
Let's stay with facts.
Re: Bakare, El-rufai Storm Nnewi For Ojukwu by Gboliwe: 7:14am On Mar 10, 2012
Its most def a smart move. Hopefully, the gap was bridged
Re: Bakare, El-rufai Storm Nnewi For Ojukwu by chino11(m): 7:38am On Mar 10, 2012
Ikemba Nnewi remains the greatest Nigerian ever the walk the face of Africa after the great Zik. What Ojukwu fought against is still with us, Nigerians should blame Gowon for not letting Biafra go there separate way. Goodmorning Nigeria

1 Like

Re: Bakare, El-rufai Storm Nnewi For Ojukwu by egift(m): 7:56am On Mar 10, 2012
Onlytruth:

Ojukwu and Buhari were not military contemporaries. Ojukwu was at least three ranks ahead of Buhari.
Let's stay with facts.

Onlytruth, mba. Ojukwu and Buhari got along very well and both remain my Heroes.

[img]http://t0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQ48nXUjmGOjXLegLEqBAu_oqKteWc-rSmwJAhdukux_NqOs-gH&t=1[/img]

Re: Bakare, El-rufai Storm Nnewi For Ojukwu by Onlytruth(m): 8:42am On Mar 10, 2012
egift:

Onlytruth, mba. Ojukwu and Buhari got along very well and both remain my Heroes.

You have things mixed up. I never said they were not friends or political associates.
I said they were not MILITARY CONTEMPORARIES -meaning military peers.
Ojukwu's near military contemporary in Nigeria would be Gowon.
Buhari was a lieutenant when Ojukwu was a lieutenant colonel in 1966. From lieutenant, you have to move first to captain, then major, before getting to lieutenant colonel. Military is strict with ranking.
That is why IBB still call OBJ his boss. Gerrit now?

1 Like

Re: Bakare, El-rufai Storm Nnewi For Ojukwu by noiseless: 9:22am On Mar 10, 2012
What gap could that be, the gap of deliberately massacrering our brothers and sisters with impunity by their people because of hate? Life is not that cheap you must know that by now.
Gboliwe:

Its most def a smart move. Hopefully, the gap was bridged
Re: Bakare, El-rufai Storm Nnewi For Ojukwu by noiseless: 9:30am On Mar 10, 2012
So they were not there for a real condolence visit afterall, if not for the bolded
TRUTHTELA:

I can only appreciate this visit cos they came on behalf of someone I see as the last man STANDING (Gen. Buhari). It's a SMART([/b] political move to counter PDP's huge participation in the funeral.[b]
Re: Bakare, El-rufai Storm Nnewi For Ojukwu by iykay4455(m): 10:39am On Mar 10, 2012
papatosibe:

Don't speak ill of the dead.Whether it's Ojukwu or any other person.
Re: Bakare, El-rufai Storm Nnewi For Ojukwu by ifihearam: 10:49am On Mar 10, 2012
Of what importance is this visit?where is ACtion Congress of Nigeria and their delegates?

Ojukwu fought for his selfish interest and lured thousands of people to meet their untimely death while he cowardly ran away.
Re: Bakare, El-rufai Storm Nnewi For Ojukwu by Nobody: 10:52am On Mar 10, 2012
Na wa o. Its a pity he didnt get all this attention while he was still  alive.
Re: Bakare, El-rufai Storm Nnewi For Ojukwu by Dipwater(m): 11:06am On Mar 10, 2012
Ojukwu might not be ur hero but he is our(easterners)hero and we are proud of him ther are a lot of people dat I cannot dere consider as hero but dat doesn't mean I shuld criticise them cuz one mans like is anoda mans dislike besides the thng he fought against are still happening 2day surprisingly nigerians have realised dat we are not one just like my broda chino11 said gud morning nigerians welcome to reality
Re: Bakare, El-rufai Storm Nnewi For Ojukwu by mekaboy(m): 11:29am On Mar 10, 2012
SO BUHARI IS SICK AND WANTS TO RULE NIGERIA, HMM , SO IF HE WON AND TRAVELS AND DIES ABROAD THE NORTH WILL SAY NIGERIA HAS WRONGED THEM AGAIN ?
Re: Bakare, El-rufai Storm Nnewi For Ojukwu by Austinodark(m): 11:57am On Mar 10, 2012
Ojukwu is my mentor
Re: Bakare, El-rufai Storm Nnewi For Ojukwu by executinal(m): 12:43pm On Mar 10, 2012
Ikemba your spirit leaves on. Buhary i wish you quick recovery cool
Re: Bakare, El-rufai Storm Nnewi For Ojukwu by Marlboro1: 1:27pm On Mar 10, 2012
Smart men and good ambassadors of your tribes. It shall be well with you two. For you tribalists on Nairaland, it is time to follow your leaders and go give honour to the Great One - Ikemba Ndigbo.
Re: Bakare, El-rufai Storm Nnewi For Ojukwu by Dainfamous: 1:59pm On Mar 10, 2012
all this people insulting ojukwu is because their own parents were gaining from the corruption and criminality in Nigerian system but all that will soon be over for them wink wink wink
Re: Bakare, El-rufai Storm Nnewi For Ojukwu by Detongue: 2:18pm On Mar 10, 2012
Bakare did not come on bhalf of his church (latter Rain) he came on bhalf of head of boko haram jihardist, yeye man
Re: Bakare, El-rufai Storm Nnewi For Ojukwu by onyewec3: 2:45pm On Mar 10, 2012
papatosibe:

What have your father or lineage record in d history of Nigeria? I guess non, so sleep forever
Re: Bakare, El-rufai Storm Nnewi For Ojukwu by ichidodo: 4:00pm On Mar 10, 2012
papatosibe:

Ojukwu is now a legend, if u dont like it, u can come kiss my beautiful black igbo arse. Shiiiorr!
Re: Bakare, El-rufai Storm Nnewi For Ojukwu by Demdem(m): 8:40pm On Mar 10, 2012
Detongue:

Bakare did not come on bhalf of his church (latter Rain) he came[b] on bhalf of head of boko haram jihardist[/b], yeye man

Prove it if u can mooron. Good development.
Re: Bakare, El-rufai Storm Nnewi For Ojukwu by Nobody: 8:43pm On Mar 10, 2012
it's strictly political.
Re: Bakare, El-rufai Storm Nnewi For Ojukwu by emmajew(m): 1:57pm On Mar 11, 2012
good

(1) (Reply)

PDP Will Win At Least 32 States In 2015 - Tukur / 2015: Nigeria will collapse if Jonathan fail to win the Presidency- Ifeduba / Obasanjo Warns Nigerians Against Allowing Buhari To Be Rigged Out!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 33
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.