Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,374 members, 7,815,792 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 06:29 PM

Could Our Comparative Advantage Be Health Care? - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Could Our Comparative Advantage Be Health Care? (4952 Views)

Abia Before And Abia After - Making Comparative Analysis / Fashola Hands Over Fifth 24-hour Primary Health Care Centre / A Comparative Analysis Of Nigerian Legislatorsā€˜ Earnings With Other Countries (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Could Our Comparative Advantage Be Health Care? by tpia5: 4:19pm On Mar 19, 2012
I have also notice that Nigerians who have chosen the medical path have better chances of coming to the United States than people who major in fields such as finance and engineering

not true at all.
Re: Could Our Comparative Advantage Be Health Care? by Nebeuwa(m): 11:46pm On Mar 19, 2012
tpia@:

not true at all.

Care to explain? I am familiar with the United States immigration policy, and the U.S. State Department is more likely to give an immigrant a Green Card if that person's possesses a skill or expertise that the United States is in dire need of. It makes sense for the United States to formulate an immigration policy of that nature, because it keeps the nation strong. By attracting the brightest around the world, the United States is able to keep its competitive edge over other rival nations. As I look at the United States, there is a shortage of heath care workers, which will only increase as the Baby Boomer generation gets older. That is why I said Nigerians who have a background in health care will have a better chance of immigrating to the United States than someone who has a background in another field that is not critical to the United States needs.
Re: Could Our Comparative Advantage Be Health Care? by tpia5: 2:44am On Mar 20, 2012
^^there's a shortage of healthcare workers because the healthcare profession has a high turnover [s]and neither is this limited to the US alone.

[/s]

the U.S. State Department is more likely to give an immigrant a Green Card if that person's possesses a skill or expertise that the United States is in dire need of.

dire need could be anything from engineering to farm labour.
Re: Could Our Comparative Advantage Be Health Care? by Nebeuwa(m): 3:06pm On Mar 20, 2012
tpia@:
^^there's a shortage of healthcare workers because the healthcare profession has a high turnover [s]and neither is this limited to the US alone.

[/s]

dire need could be anything from engineering to farm labour.

That is not true. The only sector, where the health care profession sees a high turnover is in home health care. That is due mainly to the fact that these workers are not offerred a living wage, low benefits and lack of health insurance. The main reason there is a shortage of health care workers is, because many Americans are not entering into the medical profession, which is an example of the ailments affecting the United States education system. That is why the United States is trying to attract medical professionals from developing nations such as the Philippines, India and China.

For your second statement, of course the dire need could be anything. However, the United States immigration system is known to make it easier for those who possess advanced skills. That could include engineers as you stated, but that could also mean doctors, scientist etc.
Re: Could Our Comparative Advantage Be Health Care? by Nebeuwa(m): 3:45pm On Mar 20, 2012
Kobojunkie - I feel you are misconstruing my words. Please reread my statements to get a better understanding of what I am trying to convey. If you are looking for empirical evidence that would support topic, I am not sure anyone has done an in-depth analysis concerning this topic. These are simply my observations. You have every right to disagree with me, but before you do so, just try to get a better understanding. Thank you.
Re: Could Our Comparative Advantage Be Health Care? by Kobojunkie: 3:50pm On Mar 20, 2012
Nebeuwa: Kobojunkie - I feel you are misconstruing my words. Please reread my statements to get a better understanding of what I am trying to convey. If you are looking for empirical evidence that would support topic, I am not sure anyone has done an in-depth analysis concerning this topic. These are simply my observations. You have every right to disagree with me, but before you do so, just try to get a better understanding. Thank you.

Since you say I have misconstrued your words, can you explain where I may have gotten it wrong and why? I would very much like to understand how these observations of yours can play to our advantage, if at all.
Re: Could Our Comparative Advantage Be Health Care? by tpia5: 3:24am On Mar 22, 2012
Nebeuwa:

That is not true. The only sector, where the health care profession sees a high turnover is in home health care. That is due mainly to the fact that these workers are not offerred a living wage, low benefits and lack of health insurance. The main reason there is a shortage of health care workers is, because many Americans are not entering into the medical profession, which is an example of the ailments affecting the United States education system. That is why the United States is trying to attract medical professionals from developing nations such as the Philippines, India and China.

For your second statement, of course the dire need could be anything. However, the United States immigration system is known to make it easier for those who possess advanced skills. That could include engineers as you stated, but that could also mean doctors, scientist etc.

what is your definition of easier?

the health profession in general has a high turnover.
Re: Could Our Comparative Advantage Be Health Care? by AjanleKoko: 12:13pm On Mar 23, 2012
LOL cheesy

@OP has fallen into the trap of two of NL's stickiest resident debaters grin
Re: Could Our Comparative Advantage Be Health Care? by Seun(m): 1:51pm On Mar 23, 2012
I think this is an interesting idea. If I was in the healthcare business, I would investigate it carefully.
Re: Could Our Comparative Advantage Be Health Care? by Nebeuwa(m): 2:01pm On Mar 23, 2012
AjanleKoko: LOL cheesy

@OP has fallen into the trap of two of NL's stickiest resident debaters grin

They are indeed very "sticky." lol I see that they are more worried about the semantics and the intricacies of my discussion, instead of focusing on the message that I am trying to convey. However, I do enjoy entertaining their discussions, because it helps me improve my debating skills.
Re: Could Our Comparative Advantage Be Health Care? by Nebeuwa(m): 2:05pm On Mar 23, 2012
Seun: I think this is an interesting idea. If I was in the healthcare business, I would investigate it carefully.

It is never too late to get into the health care business. I see it as a growing industry for years to come. Populations around the world, especially in the industrialized world is getting older and they will need quality health care. That includes talented health care professionals, pharmaceuticals and specialized care.

(1) (2) (Reply)

See How APC Intend To Protest Aregbesola Defeat. Pictures. / Can I Vote Anywhere With My Pvc? / Joanthan Urges The Embattled Gov.fayose To Resign Or Face Impeachment By APC

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 22
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.