Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,664 members, 7,809,512 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 10:45 AM

When To Change Your Car Engine Oil: The Mileage Way! - Car Talk (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / When To Change Your Car Engine Oil: The Mileage Way! (75233 Views)

How Much Mileage Is Too Much Mileage? / Is ATF Oil The Same As Power Steering Fluid? / Are High Mileage Cars Really That Bad? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: When To Change Your Car Engine Oil: The Mileage Way! by IdaraCHODB(m): 9:03pm On Oct 20, 2013
sooper rescue: That is why I still insist that you cannot go 9000 miles before oil change. The best is 6000 miles or 6 months, even if you import Castrol oil to use here. There are real Mobil 1 being sold in the country. Try the Mobil along Lekki expressway. and the one in Maryland in Ikeja. They cant afford to sell fake oil there.

Thanks, I know the place, will pick it tomorrow and do an oil and filter change so i can begin my comparative tests
Re: When To Change Your Car Engine Oil: The Mileage Way! by IdaraCHODB(m): 11:00pm On Oct 21, 2013
IdaraCHODB:

Thanks, I know the place, will pick it tomorrow and do an oil and filter change so i can begin my comparative tests

If your car specifies Mobil 1, please please please use Mobil 1.

In just one day of testing, and by testing I mean doing close to 400 kilometres of driving real hard, pushing the car to its limits with Mobil 1 in the engine, I am converted!

Lower engine RPMs

Faster response from the engine

Increased fuel economy

Honestly if you can afford a high performance car, please don't cheat yourself by using mineral oil!

See http://community.cartalk.com/discussion/2230995/is-there-an-advantage-to-synthetic-oil

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Synthetic_oil#Advantages
Re: When To Change Your Car Engine Oil: The Mileage Way! by KA24DETT(m): 1:16am On Oct 22, 2013
You guys are something else. 3000mile oil change is a myth, myth propagated by jiffy lube to scam people and changing your oil before 3000mile does not mean ur car will last longer. Changing you oil every 3000miles does not provide any added benefit,
If you are running synthetic like i do, u can go up to 10,000miles on one oil change. Synthetic oil does not break down easily like petroleum based oils do. U just have to make sure u are using the real thing

All in, follow your manufacturers recomended oil change interval. Auto manufacturers from ford, GM are changing the regular oil change interval. Toyota are changing their oil change interval to 10,000miles with synthetic change. Mobil 1 Extended Performance is GURANTEED for 15,000 miles.15,000 miles, thats what most nigerians drive in a year
Re: When To Change Your Car Engine Oil: The Mileage Way! by sooperrescue(m): 6:03am On Oct 22, 2013
3000 miles or 3 months for conventional oils while synthetic is 6000 miles or 10000 kms or 6 months for synthetic oil. Although synthetic oil tries to eliminate sludge from engines, try and delay the service interval and all you get is sludge and sludge is the number one issue with modern cars. Anyone defending longer service interval should check their engine oil chamber and dip their hand into the chamber and see what comes out. If there is no sludge, congrats, but if there is sludge, congrats too.
Please read this.

Oil Sludge Problem:
Oil sludge is a real problem today. A vehicle cannot be adequately protected with a N3000 oil change. Let's be realistic. Maybe better stated, you get what you pay for...and quality oil changes are the most important maintenance you can do for your vehicle. If an oil sludge problem develops in your vehicle, it will be an extremely expensive repair. More and more people experience issues with poor oil flow due to sludge (where the oil turns to gel). What is the cause of this problem and is it avoidable? The cause is the properties and characteristics of conventional oil becomes stressed. Once a conventional oil reaches the engineering specifications for which it was designed, it will then breakdown into a gel that sticks to your engine and all moving parts in lieu of circulating and keeping your engine cool. As the gel settles in the engine, it actually stores heat instead of providing the cooling necessary for your engine. Sludge is the thickening and breakdown of the oil as it deteriorates, and as moisture and contaminants build up. This is what causes the oil to gel, resulting in excess wear as friction increases or, in extreme cases, a catastrophic failure of the engine due to lack of lubrication between moving parts. There are currently many legal issues and manufacturer litigation around sludge build up. Many companies, such as Volkswagen, have sent out technical service advisories to immediately switch to a fully synthetic oil.

Oil sludge usually starts in the top end of an engine (valve cover area) and the oil pan. The immediate damage begins to occur when the sludge or gel begins to block the oil screen siphon. Once this blockage occurs, catastrophic failure of the engine is eminent. The oil level of the engine may actually look fine...but your engine is truly being damaged by every stroke of your crank and camshaft as your engine loses oil pressure and no longer lubricates correctly. This is a huge issue for cars built in 1996 and newer.

Why did this start occurring in 1996 and newer vehicles? There are several issues...
• Many Lube shops that are competing for market share are trying to differentiate themselves as being the low cost leader and thus competing for consumers that think they are getting a bargain. How do they give oil changes for N300 to N500. Very low performing single grade oil that is purchased in bulk along with very cheap oil filters. Combine the very cheapest products along with very low skilled or inexperienced technicians and you have a N4500 oil change that will only add to sludge and other damage, as well as low performance to your engine and shorten the life of your vehicle.

• US Federal Emissions Specifications have really got tough from the mid 1990’s. In 1996 the tighter federal emissions standards were enacted. Combined with leaner fuel mixtures and higher combustion temperatures, sludge starts to appear as a real industry problem.

• Fuel economy pressures have led the manufacturers to engineer their vehicles for lower viscosity engine oils. When low quality conventional oil is used, these oils break down very fast in day-to-day driving.

This problem can be avoided or mitigated if the sludge formation has begun to occur (something you may not be aware of until it is too late). The only action that can be taken is to change your engine oil to a top quality synthetic oil. OANDO SYN, Mobil 1, Total Q9000 is recommended to replace the conventional oil being used that causes the damage in the first place. Anyone that chooses to use conventional oil is simply asking for severe engine problems. That is not an opinion; it is a proven fact. That is exactly why conventional oil must be changed at 3,000 miles to maintain the minimum protection properties, and OANDO SYN, Mobil 1 at 6,000 miles - pretty significant difference.

When changing from a conventional oil to a synthetic, such as OANDO SYN, it is best to first flush the engine and try to clean out the sludge build up.
Don't put clean synthetic oil in a dirty engine!

When an engine gets dirty, even regular oil changes can't help restore its operating efficiency. The detergent/dispersant's in most conventional engine oils can't handle the abnormal amounts of contamination found in a "dirty" engine. The new oil becomes dirty long before it should, losing much of its ability to lubricate and protect your engine and actually accelerating the formation of more sludge and varnish.

In this age of longer recommended drain intervals, it is especially important to have a clean engine before changing oil. Using our Fast Acting Engine Flush when you change oil is an excellent way to guarantee your engine stays clean. It has special solvents and cleaning agents that act fast but gently to remove harmful deposits that can cost you money in excessive fuel consumption and mechanical repairs.

Engine Flush is especially recommended for use before changing to Synthetic Motor Oils, or changing to conventional oils assuring that these super premium long life oils provide the maximum protection and service life they are designed to deliver.
The OANDO AUTOCARE Formula
for Better Engine Performance
1) FLUSH: To quickly clean residual sludge and engine deposits, Engine Flush is recommended: Add the flush and wash the cover. Idle the engine for 5-8 minutes, then immediately drain the old oil and flush. Then pour in the new oil and new Oil filter.
*Note: Engine Flush is not recommended for use in transmissions, differentials, air-cooled engines, engines that share a common oil sump with the transmission (motorcycles & ATV's) or engines not equipped with an oil filter.
2) POUR: Fill the engine's crankcase with the OANDO Synthetic Motor Oil 5w40 or Mobil 1 0w40 of the viscosity grade recommended by your vehicle's manufacturer or Conventional Oils that will eliminate sludge from your engines. OANDO Synthetic Motor Oils are highly resistant to oxidation and provide exceptional detergent/dispersant properties, helping keep your engine free of further sludge and varnish build-up.
Re: When To Change Your Car Engine Oil: The Mileage Way! by IdaraCHODB(m): 6:56am On Oct 22, 2013
KA24DETT: You guys are something else. 3000mile oil change is a myth, myth propagated by jiffy lube to scam people and changing your oil before 3000mile does not mean ur car will last longer. Changing you oil every 3000miles does not provide any added benefit,
If you are running synthetic like i do, u can go up to 10,000miles on one oil change. Synthetic oil does not break down easily like petroleum based oils do. U just have to make sure u are using the real thing

All in, follow your manufacturers recomended oil change interval. Auto manufacturers from ford, GM are changing the regular oil change interval. Toyota are changing their oil change interval to 10,000miles with synthetic change. Mobil 1 Extended Performance is GURANTEED for 15,000 miles.15,000 miles, thats what most nigerians drive in a year

Ka24dett, herein lies the dilemma.

Some older cars state 3000 miles in their manual, and then the owners get confused because the manual says 3000 miles or 3 months and although the manual may specify synthetic, but the synthetic manufacturer says 10,000 miles or even 15,000. To make matters even more confusing, the oil manufacturer might even say follow the recommended OCI of your car manufacturer!

While some users even boast of 25,000 mile OCI with the same synthetic!

SO who is saying the truth, the whole truth and nothing but the truth?

And who do I side with the manufacturer of the car who knows more about the car OR the manufacturer of the oil who knows more about the oil.

One of my older cars specifies synthetic (Mobil1) and 3000 miles/3 months

But i have been following the schedule but using conventional oil and an economy oil filter

Now am switching to synthetic oil (Mobil1 ) and a high performance oil filter (Bosch DistancePlus to be precise) and 9,000 mile OCI. ( it appears that if your car uses timing chains, has overhead camshafts, has roller lifters, synthetic is the way to go, so am converting after suffering from the need to do an engine overhaul from sustained/extreme high speed driving with conventional oil in the engine)

After conducting extensive research, am damning the manufacturer OCI but others might remain in a quandary

Ka24dett, are you running extended OCI on specialized oil filters or an economy oil filter?

http://www.boschautoparts.com/filters/pages/distanceplusoilfilters.aspx
Re: When To Change Your Car Engine Oil: The Mileage Way! by KA24DETT(m): 8:54pm On Oct 22, 2013
IdaraCHODB:

Ka24dett, herein lies the dilemma.

Some older cars state 3000 miles in their manual, and then the owners get confused because the manual says 3000 miles or 3 months and although the manual may specify synthetic, but the synthetic manufacturer says 10,000 miles or even 15,000. To make matters even more confusing, the oil manufacturer might even say follow the recommended OCI of your car manufacturer!

While some users even boast of 25,000 mile OCI with the same synthetic!

SO who is saying the truth, the whole truth and nothing but the truth?

And who do I side with the manufacturer of the car who knows more about the car OR the manufacturer of the oil who knows more about the oil.

One of my older cars specifies synthetic (Mobil1) and 3000 miles/3 months

But i have been following the schedule but using conventional oil and an economy oil filter

Now am switching to synthetic oil (Mobil1 ) and a high performance oil filter (Bosch DistancePlus to be precise) and 9,000 mile OCI. ( it appears that if your car uses timing chains, has overhead camshafts, has roller lifters, synthetic is the way to go, so am converting after suffering from the need to do an engine overhaul from sustained/extreme high speed driving with conventional oil in the engine)

After conducting extensive research, am damning the manufacturer OCI but others might remain in a quandary

Ka24dett, are you running extended OCI on specialized oil filters or an economy oil filter?

http://www.boschautoparts.com/filters/pages/distanceplusoilfilters.aspx

Am running specialized oil filter bro. i do my oil change once a year. January every year.
To answer your question, Oil engineering has gotten better from the time your OLD car was designed . More detergent in oil are now allowing for longer oil change which helps the environment by reducing oil wastage. With advances in liquid engineering, auto manufacurers are taking note and increasing oil change interval to 10,000miles. Check out this company, microgreenoilfilter.com. their oil filter is so efficeint that u can change your oil every 30,000 miles.

1 Like

Re: When To Change Your Car Engine Oil: The Mileage Way! by erico2k2(m): 5:21pm On Oct 23, 2013
babs2aroks: Well As for me. I work on with "maintainance Required" Light.Once it pops up on the Dash I get my oil Drained and Replaced with a New filter.

About Viscosity of oils...to be honest we basically have 20W50 flooded in the Market When I 1st got my 06/07 Accord I searched for the recomended oil but to no avail

Now I stick to using mobil 20W50 I guess its because of our high temperature we don't need to use the manufactures spec(correct me if am wrong) in nigeria.

OP: Am sure you camry has a "MNT RQD" light. Change your oil when it comes up and reset the oil lifer after each service.that's what I do.
Bross do U have any idea what the temp gets up to in frisco and texas?

1 Like

Re: When To Change Your Car Engine Oil: The Mileage Way! by erico2k2(m): 5:30pm On Oct 23, 2013
sooper rescue: 3000 miles or 3 months for conventional oils while synthetic is 6000 miles or 10000 kms or 6 months for synthetic oil. Although synthetic oil tries to eliminate sludge from engines, try and delay the service interval and all you get is sludge and sludge is the number one issue with modern cars. Anyone defending longer service interval should check their engine oil chamber and dip their hand into the chamber and see what comes out. If there is no sludge, congrats, but if there is sludge, congrats too.
Please read this.

Oil Sludge Problem:
Oil sludge is a real problem today. A vehicle cannot be adequately protected with a N3000 oil change. Let's be realistic. Maybe better stated, you get what you pay for...and quality oil changes are the most important maintenance you can do for your vehicle. If an oil sludge problem develops in your vehicle, it will be an extremely expensive repair. More and more people experience issues with poor oil flow due to sludge (where the oil turns to gel). What is the cause of this problem and is it avoidable? The cause is the properties and characteristics of conventional oil becomes stressed. Once a conventional oil reaches the engineering specifications for which it was designed, it will then breakdown into a gel that sticks to your engine and all moving parts in lieu of circulating and keeping your engine cool. As the gel settles in the engine, it actually stores heat instead of providing the cooling necessary for your engine. Sludge is the thickening and breakdown of the oil as it deteriorates, and as moisture and contaminants build up. This is what causes the oil to gel, resulting in excess wear as friction increases or, in extreme cases, a catastrophic failure of the engine due to lack of lubrication between moving parts. There are currently many legal issues and manufacturer litigation around sludge build up. Many companies, such as Volkswagen, have sent out technical service advisories to immediately switch to a fully synthetic oil.

Oil sludge usually starts in the top end of an engine (valve cover area) and the oil pan. The immediate damage begins to occur when the sludge or gel begins to block the oil screen siphon. Once this blockage occurs, catastrophic failure of the engine is eminent. The oil level of the engine may actually look fine...but your engine is truly being damaged by every stroke of your crank and camshaft as your engine loses oil pressure and no longer lubricates correctly. This is a huge issue for cars built in 1996 and newer.

Why did this start occurring in 1996 and newer vehicles? There are several issues...
• Many Lube shops that are competing for market share are trying to differentiate themselves as being the low cost leader and thus competing for consumers that think they are getting a bargain. How do they give oil changes for N300 to N500. Very low performing single grade oil that is purchased in bulk along with very cheap oil filters. Combine the very cheapest products along with very low skilled or inexperienced technicians and you have a N4500 oil change that will only add to sludge and other damage, as well as low performance to your engine and shorten the life of your vehicle.

• US Federal Emissions Specifications have really got tough from the mid 1990’s. In 1996 the tighter federal emissions standards were enacted. Combined with leaner fuel mixtures and higher combustion temperatures, sludge starts to appear as a real industry problem.

• Fuel economy pressures have led the manufacturers to engineer their vehicles for lower viscosity engine oils. When low quality conventional oil is used, these oils break down very fast in day-to-day driving.

This problem can be avoided or mitigated if the sludge formation has begun to occur (something you may not be aware of until it is too late). The only action that can be taken is to change your engine oil to a top quality synthetic oil. OANDO SYN, Mobil 1, Total Q9000 is recommended to replace the conventional oil being used that causes the damage in the first place. Anyone that chooses to use conventional oil is simply asking for severe engine problems. That is not an opinion; it is a proven fact. That is exactly why conventional oil must be changed at 3,000 miles to maintain the minimum protection properties, and OANDO SYN, Mobil 1 at 6,000 miles - pretty significant difference.

When changing from a conventional oil to a synthetic, such as OANDO SYN, it is best to first flush the engine and try to clean out the sludge build up.
Don't put clean synthetic oil in a dirty engine!

When an engine gets dirty, even regular oil changes can't help restore its operating efficiency. The detergent/dispersant's in most conventional engine oils can't handle the abnormal amounts of contamination found in a "dirty" engine. The new oil becomes dirty long before it should, losing much of its ability to lubricate and protect your engine and actually accelerating the formation of more sludge and varnish.

In this age of longer recommended drain intervals, it is especially important to have a clean engine before changing oil. Using our Fast Acting Engine Flush when you change oil is an excellent way to guarantee your engine stays clean. It has special solvents and cleaning agents that act fast but gently to remove harmful deposits that can cost you money in excessive fuel consumption and mechanical repairs.

Engine Flush is especially recommended for use before changing to Synthetic Motor Oils, or changing to conventional oils assuring that these super premium long life oils provide the maximum protection and service life they are designed to deliver.
The OANDO AUTOCARE Formula
for Better Engine Performance
1) FLUSH: To quickly clean residual sludge and engine deposits, Engine Flush is recommended: Add the flush and wash the cover. Idle the engine for 5-8 minutes, then immediately drain the old oil and flush. Then pour in the new oil and new Oil filter.
*Note: Engine Flush is not recommended for use in transmissions, differentials, air-cooled engines, engines that share a common oil sump with the transmission (motorcycles & ATV's) or engines not equipped with an oil filter.
2) POUR: Fill the engine's crankcase with the OANDO Synthetic Motor Oil 5w40 or Mobil 1 0w40 of the viscosity grade recommended by your vehicle's manufacturer or Conventional Oils that will eliminate sludge from your engines. OANDO Synthetic Motor Oils are highly resistant to oxidation and provide exceptional detergent/dispersant properties, helping keep your engine free of further sludge and varnish build-up.

Bros check ur car manual and tell us at what milage or what viscocity is required then come bk dnt even try the driving conditions r diff in the US cos they aint.
Re: When To Change Your Car Engine Oil: The Mileage Way! by erico2k2(m): 5:34pm On Oct 23, 2013
Femtol2009: This is an interesting thread,but I must say the long hours spent in traffic has nothing to do with mileage accumulation on the odometer as the odometer only count when you are mobile.Think of the hours used in Lagos traffic with no mileage accounted for on the odometer. I just follow a simple rule of balancing the mileage accrued since last oil change and average hours spent in traffic before I go for oil change. I don't necessarily wait u
ntil I get to the expected mileage indication on the odometer before I change the oil.
Bros U mean say wen U dey hold up ur oil pump nor dey pump ur oil?
Re: When To Change Your Car Engine Oil: The Mileage Way! by erico2k2(m): 5:38pm On Oct 23, 2013
Ikenna351:

This thing with Nigerians!

Please, where did you learn that vehicles engine oil are to be changed every 3 months? You even went further to say "all vehicles, both new and used/tokunbo". Oh! I shake my head!

I want you to refer us to one, i mean, just one vehicle owners manual that instructed that the engine oil should be changed every 3 months. Lets clear this issue once and for all.

Nigerians love this thing called "Bandwagon Propaganda" so much." Everybody does it", thats all matters to us, even to our own detriment. No one bothers to investigate to be sure if this act everybody does is safe or good, as long as its a norm. Well, it's your car anyway. I have no right to tell you how to use it or what to do with it.

Ikenna.
Haha the thimg tire me as if na by force U gt to make a post by assumptin,some will say the temp in nigeria is higher than the Usa,make dem try texas and Alaska Sun ni.
Re: When To Change Your Car Engine Oil: The Mileage Way! by oyinbogirl(f): 3:38pm On Nov 05, 2013
I do my oil every 10, 000 kms, as per logbook guidelines. But my pistons are now worn, and the engine burns a lil oil now, I always find im topping up btween services. Here are some Varying factors for doing it every 5000 kms :

: type of driving you do (city or long distance) short drives, in traffic, stopping & starting can shorten oil life span

: If your engine is worn at all or has over 300 000 kms

: dirt roads rather than bitumen or sealed

: generally speaking older cars will need more frequent oil changes unless the driving conditions you currently are in are extreme eg high temperatures (cuts down oil life)

But if none of these apply to you, go with the manufacturers reccomendation.

Oh, and lastly before I forget, Check the appearance of the oil, you should check it each week (as well as the coolant) make sure it is'nt black & sludgy, and when you touch the oil between your fingers it should have some viscosity (should cling & make a kind of 'string' between your fingertips) if it has no viscosity - the oil is finished & needs changing, cos it wont be clinging to your pistons and moving parts. Hope I was of some help to you. cheers

1 Like

Re: When To Change Your Car Engine Oil: The Mileage Way! by Ikenna351(m): 5:24pm On Nov 05, 2013
oyinbogirl: I do my oil every 10, 000 kms, as per logbook guidelines. But my pistons are now worn, and the engine burns a lil oil now, I always find im topping up btween services. Here are some Varying factors for doing it every 5000 kms :

: type of driving you do (city or long distance) short drives, in traffic, stopping & starting can shorten oil life span

: If your engine is worn at all or has over 300 000 kms

: dirt roads rather than bitumen or sealed

: generally speaking older cars will need more frequent oil changes unless the driving conditions you currently are in are extreme eg high temperatures (cuts down oil life)

But if none of these apply to you, go with the manufacturers reccomendation.

Oh, and lastly before I forget, Check the appearance of the oil, you should check it each week (as well as the coolant) make sure it is'nt black & sludgy, and when you touch the oil between your fingers it should have some viscosity (should cling & make a kind of 'string' between your fingertips) if it has no viscosity - the oil is finished & needs changing, cos it wont be clinging to your pistons and moving parts. Hope I was of some help to you. cheers

There is nothing wrong in one being confused once in a while, you know. But when one tries to rationalize why being in a state of confusion is good, is where it gets funny.

I wouldn't say you were completely wrong (at least, you weren't completely confused), but that your engine started to burn oil simply because of long duration of oil change, is where you really sounded confused. What do you think would happen if your engine run without oil or ran out of oil? You think the combustion chambers are where the severe damage would take place? If your engine oil turns to water, what do you think would happen to that engine? Where would a severe fiction take place in an engine when there is no oil or loss of lubricating fluid? What do you think that would happen if fuel goes into the oil pan and dilutes engine oil? You could be right that bad oil would cause oil burn, but ..........

Even if you change your engine oil every week with the best fully synthetic oil in the market, but run your engine without thermostat, your engine will start burning oil, even before you finish paying for the car, if it was bought with loan. Even if you replace your engine oil every month but rev or race your engine hard at cold start or first start every morning, your engine will start burning oil, before you could brag "how durable my car is" to friends who drive other brands and knew when you bought her. Your car engine will burn oil mercilessly if you ignore to break-in the engine when new, whether out of ignorance or Nigerian thing (na tear rubber). My point? A lot would make an engine burn oil, even if you change your engine oil every month.

About your theory that every car that has done 300, 000 km or older cars should change their oil frequently. I mean, seriously ?

Ikenna.
Re: When To Change Your Car Engine Oil: The Mileage Way! by babakon: 12:21pm On Nov 06, 2013
sometimes I look at the distance I have covered. I don't take my car out on a regular or daily bases, so I can afford to change my oil twice yearly, basically I just check the colour although they all turn darker at a point but once is getting too black is a sign for changing it, secondly I always try to feel the oil and check it viscosity level with my fingers, if it has reduced as in if it it not slippery as it use to be I also know is due for changing, last but not the list, I tried to study the sound and the acceleration of my engine. if it sound is not quieter and smooth as before I also know is due for change............... I use the Nissan oil filter for my s.u.v, I know it is not as high quality as it use to be becos it is cheaper and has flooded the market. so what I do is that I make sure I change the oil filter at anytime I change the oil.
Re: When To Change Your Car Engine Oil: The Mileage Way! by oyinbogirl(f): 3:56pm On Nov 08, 2013
Ikenna351:

There is nothing wrong in one being confused once in a while, you know. But when one tries to rationalize why being in a state of confusion is good, is where it gets funny.

I wouldn't say you were completely wrong (at least, you weren't completely confused), but that your engine started to burn oil simply because of long duration of oil change, is where you really sounded confused. What do you think would happen if your engine run without oil or ran out of oil? You think the combustion chambers are where the severe damage would take place? If your engine oil turns to water, what do you think would happen to that engine? Where would a severe fiction take place in an engine when there is no oil or loss of lubricating fluid? What do you think that would happen if fuel goes into the oil pan and dilutes engine oil? You could be right that bad oil would cause oil burn, but ..........

Even if you change your engine oil every week with the best fully synthetic oil in the market, but run your engine without thermostat, your engine will start burning oil, even before you finish paying for the car, if it was bought with loan. Even if you replace your engine oil every month but rev or race your engine hard at cold start or first start every morning, your engine will start burning oil, before you could brag "how durable my car is" to friends who drive other brands and knew when you bought her. Your car engine will burn oil mercilessly if you ignore to break-in the engine when new, whether out of ignorance or Nigerian thing (na tear rubber). My point? A lot would make an engine burn oil, even if you change your engine oil every month.

About your theory that every car that has done 300, 000 km or older cars should change their oil frequently. I mean, seriously ?

kenna.

Gee - what makes you feel I am even a little bit confused? Thats very weird...hmmm undecided Anyway - Did I say my car is burning oil cos I ran it low on oil?? It seems like you have just assume.... but however I did not even mention the reason behind its using oil, simply because it isnt relevant to this posters topic. . I do not do any of the things you mentioned - Y will I? Am not that sort of owner or driver. I have sense enough to make things last. I am the 2nd owner of my car. so unfortunately didnt get to do any of the initial driving in. I dont say everyone with a car with higher mileage should change their oil more frequently I said it depends on factors. take certain factors into account when deciding at what intervals to change the oil.

All I advised the poster was to go on logbook recommedations, and, basing things off that. He could HALVE the interval based on a few things such as engine condition, driving conditions, and kms total if he wanted to - worn engines DO use oil - its an undeniable fact. The older something gets , the more wear is gonna happen, isnt it? But if you've cared for it well, and it isnt burning off oil , me myself would leave oil change as per normal time Dats all.......same advice as I'd give to anyone. ...so whats your yarn all about anyway? Irrelevant !
Re: When To Change Your Car Engine Oil: The Mileage Way! by Ikenna351(m): 5:06pm On Nov 08, 2013
oyinbogirl:

Gee - what makes you feel I am even a little bit confused? Thats very weird...hmmm undecided Anyway - Did I say my car is burning oil cos I ran it low on oil?? It seems like you have just assume.... but however I did not even mention the reason behind its using oil, simply because it isnt relevant to this posters topic. . I do not do any of the things you mentioned - Y will I? Am not that sort of owner or driver. I have sense enough to make things last. I am the 2nd owner of my car. so unfortunately didnt get to do any of the initial driving in. I dont say everyone with a car with higher mileage should change their oil more frequently I said it depends on factors. take certain factors into account when deciding at what intervals to change the oil.

All I advised the poster was to go on logbook recommedations, and, basing things off that. He could HALVE the interval based on a few things such as engine condition, driving conditions, and kms total if he wanted to - worn engines DO use oil - its an undeniable fact. The older something gets , the more wear is gonna happen, isnt it? But if you've cared for it well, and it isnt burning off oil , me myself would leave oil change as per normal time Dats all.......same advice as I'd give to anyone. ...so whats your yarn all about anyway? Irrelevant !

Without seeing your username, your above post is obvious that it came from a female. Probably you were standing Akimbo when you were typing that post. grin

Now, my own time to rant. My post you reacted to was trying to tell you something. That when engine loses what makes it prevent friction in the moving parts inside the engine that need constant lubrication when engine is running, because of longer interval in oil change/loss of viscosity, as you claimed, then the engine would die before you will have time to observe oil burning. There would be a severe friction on the crank journals, bearings, main bearing, Camshafts, etc, which would lead to a sudden death of the engine. So oil burning should be the least of your worries if you are claiming that changing your engine oil at recommended interval would lead to cylinder failures.

By the way, I didn't say cars with high mileage cannot burn oil. Even a badly used low mileage car or abused engine with low mileage may burn oil as well. But I was trying to tell you that an engine that burns oil doesn't mean oil duration of oil change should be reduced. Top up with the same oil grade in the engine till its due or you rebuild it.

So does my yarn still sound irrelevant?

Ikenna.
Re: When To Change Your Car Engine Oil: The Mileage Way! by oyinbogirl(f): 10:19am On Nov 09, 2013
Ikenna351:

Without seeing your username, your above post is obvious that it came from a female. Probably you were standing Akimbo when you were typing that post. grin

Now, my own time to rant. My post you reacted to was trying to tell you something. That when engine loses what makes it prevent friction in the moving parts inside the engine that need constant lubrication when engine is running, because of longer interval in oil change/loss of viscosity, as you claimed, then the engine would die before you will have time to observe oil burning. There would be a severe friction on the crank journals, bearings, main bearing, Camshafts, etc, which would lead to a sudden death of the engine. So oil burning should be the least of your worries if you are claiming that changing your engine oil at recommended interval would lead to cylinder failures.

By the way, I didn't say cars with high mileage cannot burn oil. Even a badly used low mileage car or abused engine with low mileage may burn oil as well. But I was trying to tell you that an engine that burns oil doesn't mean oil duration of oil change should be reduced. Top up with the same oil grade in the engine till its due or you rebuild it.

So does my yarn still sound irrelevant?

Ikenna.

I was referring to minor oil consumption. Thanks for your info, I alredy knew of d info you impart thanks, maybe you've misunderstood me
Re: When To Change Your Car Engine Oil: The Mileage Way! by Gluck4cars: 3:08pm On Nov 09, 2013
VolvoS60:

Some owners manuals go even further in helping the owner/user by specifying different oil change & sevice intervals for different operating/driving conditions. In these manuals, the oil change interval for "severe" operating/driving conditions is shorter than that of 'normal' operating/driving conditions. Since driving/operating conditions in most of Nigeria would definitely fall under "severe" tongue, (a lot of stop-start/go-slow driving, particularly in the cities, high temperatures/humidity, poor road conditions - mud, sand, etc.), i would guess most users would find the owners manual very useful.

Get it and read it!

Above quote is very valid. Also see this article (http://www.needmotorparts.com/auto-blog/item/62-all-about-oil-filters-to-avoid-getting-scammed-by-marketing-videos) for further insight to oil change.

Also reading meanings between car manufacturer manual and the oil manufacturer MSDS you understand that the rule for oil change is every Xmonths or Ymiles which ever comes first. (X and Y is specified by Car manufacturer). Some vehicles do 3000miles in one (1) month while others may not do 50 miles in 3 months.

If you decide to go by your vehicle oil life percentage or appearance of "maintenance required" be informed that it is based on preset mileage of 3500 miles or 10,000miles depending on what the previous owner set based on his choice of oil. So find out what mileage count you are working with and ensure the oil you are using is in consonance. The article link will shed more light on the subject.

What is the difference between observing regular oil change or not? It is TERMINAL. Cancer, Kidney failure are very avoidable. Its all about Lifestyle.
Re: When To Change Your Car Engine Oil: The Mileage Way! by timsobj: 10:22am On Aug 15, 2014
practically, oil change based on millage or period are both not always correct. Let's look at lubricants generally, quality lubricants does not get spent. why they change colours or thin out is mostly because of oxidation of chemical additives used in their formulation. That's why it's possible to re-use used oils after recycling.
For me not to sound to academic, the best way know when to change your oil is to physically examine the oil, note the colour, smell, thickness, etc. Low quality oil may breakdown anytime.
It's also important to monitor sludge level in the engine. Because, high sludge level can compromise lubricants. The quality of oil filter is also a factor that comprises lub integrity.
Most mechanics belief in removing sludge & dirt from engines by using chemicals (flushers), this is wrong, because, those chemicals is meant to dissolve the old sludges & old oil. But no matter how long you allowed the mixture of the old oil & the chemical to drain out there must be residues of the chemicals (flusher) left in the engine which will weaken the new oil you will pour, thus predisposes your engine to excessive friction. So it's better to clean the sludge manually.
It's therefore highly recommended to add Green Engine Revolution after servicing your car or generators with the right lubricant & quality oil filter. This can give upto 4-7 times service interval extension. for more info visit; www.greenengine revolution.com.
or call 08033527026.
Re: When To Change Your Car Engine Oil: The Mileage Way! by IdaraCHODB(m): 5:27am On Aug 17, 2014
i have come across people who do oil change once a year or 25,000 miles, one of them says he is on his 6th oil change now multiply 25,000 by 6, you have 150,000 miles and he has never had engine trouble, he uses synthetic not conventional oil http://www.amsoil.com/shop/by-product/motor-oil/gasoline/sae-5w-30-signature-series-100-percent-synthetic-motor-oil/?code=ASLQT-EA and a high performance/high mileage oil filter , so i would say it all depends on a number of factors
Re: When To Change Your Car Engine Oil: The Mileage Way! by sooperrescue(m): 9:04pm On Aug 17, 2014
They wont have engine trouble but the engine is gone. And the sludge there will be protecting the engine from failing. Flush out the sludge and that engine is gone.
Re: When To Change Your Car Engine Oil: The Mileage Way! by IdaraCHODB(m): 10:34pm On Aug 17, 2014
sooperrescue: They wont have engine trouble but the engine is gone. And the sludge there will be protecting the engine from failing. Flush out the sludge and that engine is gone.
Actually from my research not all engines are prone to sludge, and should one's engine be prone to sludge, I have learnt there is treatment for that. Once applied, delete the oil and the filter and replace with new and you are good to go.

Like I have said somewhere else on this forum, I haven't used Amsoil but I have interacted with its users, and the testimony appears to be good which means I might try it someday.

I have tried the Mobil1 0w-40 severally, currently doing the Forte Synth10000, will next use Mobil1 Extended Performance ( I have actually ordered it and its on its way to me as we speak) once am down with that I think I'll try Amsoil next.

Here is another testimony I came across:
In May of 2000...at 68,250 miles on my 99 Chevy Van...I switched from petroleum oil to Amsoil synthetic oil. I went from changing my oil every 5,000 miles to every 25,000 miles.

Since then...I've driven over 1.2 million miles changing my oil and filter every 25,000 miles. Estimated oil & fuel savings: Over $18,000.

When you switch to Amsoil...most of you will only have to change your oil and filter once a year.

The Signature Series oil is good for 25,000 miles or one year...which ever comes first.

For those of you that drive 40-50,000 miles a year...you're gonna love Amsoil. No more worrying about changing your oil 10 times a year.

And if you're away from home and you notice your oil needs changed...no need to worry.

You can drive home and have your oil changed at the dealership or if you're a do-it-your-selfer...like me...change it back at the garage.

I've driven over my "oil change" many times...and have proven Amsoil will not let your engine down.

Just be sure and check your engine oil level frequently.

I have included a link which treats the sludge issue you mention as it relates to Amsoil http://www.synpsg.com/Oil_Sludge_Problem.html
Re: When To Change Your Car Engine Oil: The Mileage Way! by IdaraCHODB(m): 10:41pm On Aug 17, 2014
I would also add that for engines known to be prone to sludge, one should not attempt to do the whole 15,000 mile OCI or 25,000 mile OCI. I think 5,000 to 7,500 mile OCI might be the way to go. See also http://www.smartsynthetics.com/pdf/TSB-engine-sludge-issues.pdf

I might also recommend an engine flush before moving from conventional to synthetic irrespective of whether the Synthetic is Amsoil as well as a filter replacement immediately after the flush
Re: When To Change Your Car Engine Oil: The Mileage Way! by sooperrescue(m): 12:46am On Aug 18, 2014
It is good that you are aware of the effect of sludge on engines. I have used many of these oils and when I see 25,000 service interval, I begin to wonder if it is for Nigeria. The benefit of using 5w 20 or 5w30 in Nigeria is minimal. In a Range Rover manual, using 5w 30 is ideal for an environment that does not exceed 35 degrees centigrade. For 5w 40, it is for 50 degrees Centigrade and you know very well that Amsoil thrives well in clement weather. Some will say that Texas is hotter than Nigeria but do they wake up with 25 degrees in the morning? Or get to 40 degrees during the hot sunny day? If it is as hot as Nigeria, there will be high rate of burst tyres in Texas because the vehicles from there comes with all season tyres with temperature B. I have seen cars that comes from Maiduguri and they always use the thicker oil including oil treatment because they told me the reason for that is that the oil breaks down faster when they are in Maiduguri. All Nigerian oil marketers sell 5W 40 except Mobil 1 that is 0w 40. They must have factored the intensity of our weather to produce the oil that is suitable for our environment. Amsoil will not be effective here hence they have not thought of bringing it into the country. Using Forte Syn or Oando Syn will conveniently give you two oil change interval in a year. For many years, I have changed the oil of over 20000 vehicles and when I see sludge in most cars, I assume two things, the car is not serviced regularly and the poor octane fuel being used is making even a synthetic oil not being able to prevent sludge. If anyone has driven a Mercedes or VW for a year or two in Nigeria, let them check their oil chamber and they will be surprised to find sludge in the engine. Ditto BMW. Changing your oil at 25000 miles is a recipe for disaster and a quick answer to engine sellers' prayers across the country. There is no engine that is prone to sludge, it is using the right oil and the low octane fuel or planning a longer oil change regime for a vehicle in Nigeria. The ideal interval should be 6000mls or 10000kms every 6 months whichever comes first and for conventional oils, 3 months or 3000 miles or 5000 kms. Any other method using the world's best oils will not be ideal for your vehicle in Nigeria. Thankfully, Nigerian lubricant manufacturers will be holding an exhibition in Lagos on the 19th of this month. Make I go see for una behalf. I go give full report.
Re: When To Change Your Car Engine Oil: The Mileage Way! by IdaraCHODB(m): 7:56pm On Aug 21, 2014
interesting read.

is anyone using a by-pass oil filtration system in Nigeria?

We receive many oil samples from clients who don't understand what is required to run unusually long oil use intervals in their engines. The accumulation of wear metals, blow-by materials, and oil oxidation products in their oils is alarming. It has been our experience that one cannot simply add oil of a particular brand or base stock and expect it will be useful for an extended period of time, lubricating, cleaning, and cooling as required. Oil that becomes contaminated needs to be changed promptly. In our opinion, there are no magic oils or additives.

There are, however, auxiliary systems you can add to your engine's lubricating system that will keep the oil clean enough to use over an extended period of time. By-pass filtration units are the most common system used for this purpose.

In-line oil filtration, which comes installed on your engine from the factory, filters oil entering the engine down to roughly 30-40 microns (millionths of a meter). This is about as finely as in-line filtration can filter, because when the oil is cold or the filter is partially plugged, a finer filter would cause too great a pressure drop, forcing open the filter by-pass valve and allowing unfiltered oil to circulate through the engine.

By-pass filtration works differently. When this type of auxiliary system is installed, some of the sump oil by-passes the in-line filter system, passing continually though a by-pass filter and then returning to the oil sump. Using this method, sump oil is constantly being cleaned any time the engine is running, and it can be filtered down to a very fine size. All you have to do to maintain the system is occasionally change the by-pass filter.

Not only do the by-pass filtration units cleanse the sump oil of blow-by and oxidation products, they also reduce wear metals and silicon accumulations, both of which are abrasive. Oil does not wear out. Its usefulness is limited by contamination. By-pass filtration removes most of the contaminants.

How long can an oil fill be run using by-pass filtration? We've heard claims of large (Class cool diesels going 1,000,000 miles on the same fill of oil with no harm done to the engines. We have analyzed oils which have been in service 240,000 miles and found nothing unusual in the analysis, other than higher than average iron and lead (from steel parts and bearings), and these wear accumulations were not intolerably high.

After having run many tens of thousands of diesel engine oil samples, it is our opinion that a by-pass oil filtration system is one of the most important factors in extending oil drains. If you are interested in extended oil drains, we suggest you investigate adding this type of system to your engine.

source: http://www.blackstone-labs.com/by-pass-oil-filtration.php
Re: When To Change Your Car Engine Oil: The Mileage Way! by MIB1(m): 5:57pm On Aug 23, 2014
pls i beg can someone help me with the right oil specs for the following cars, if its synthetic or regular
camry 2002 v6
corolla 2011
optima 2003
I will really appreciate
Re: When To Change Your Car Engine Oil: The Mileage Way! by sooperrescue(m): 8:02pm On Aug 23, 2014
5w 40 for all the cars. Oando, Forte, Total . All synthetic oils
Re: When To Change Your Car Engine Oil: The Mileage Way! by anneki(m): 5:36pm On Aug 24, 2014
@MIB1

I hope the attached files answer some of your questions and educate nairalanders on a lot of the misconceptions surrounding 5w-20 and 5w-30 viscosities especially with regard to ambient temperatures.

Re: When To Change Your Car Engine Oil: The Mileage Way! by MIB1(m): 9:42pm On Aug 25, 2014
anneki: @MIB1

I hope the attached files answer some of your questions and educate nairalanders on a lot of the misconceptions surrounding 5w-20 and 5w-30 viscosities especially with regard to ambient temperatures.

Thanks a lot bro
Re: When To Change Your Car Engine Oil: The Mileage Way! by birdman(m): 4:25pm On Nov 23, 2014
We need to be able to define "extreme driving conditions" so that we do not mislead nairalanders. Driving in traffic does not constitute extreme driving conditions. Sustained high speed driving is extreme, pulling trailers is extreme, but stop and go traffic is not. People need to google extreme driving conditions to know if they ever experience such conditions.

Driving in traffic is worse than driving on the open highway. Unless you are doing 85mph and above, your car experiences less stress than if you are in stop and go traffic. In fact on newer vehicles, the onboard computer that tells you when you need your next oil change is adaptive. If you do only stop and go traffic all the time, it will likely make you change your oil after 3000 miles. If you do all highway, it could be 6000+ miles easily. Mixed conditions is somewhere in between.
Re: When To Change Your Car Engine Oil: The Mileage Way! by ZIMDRILL(m): 5:04pm On Nov 23, 2014
birdman:

Driving in traffic is worse than driving on the open highway. Unless you are doing 85mph and above, your car experiences less stress than if you are in stop and go traffic. In fact on newer vehicles, the onboard computer that tells you when you need your next oil change is adaptive. If you do only stop and go traffic all the time, it will likely make you change your oil after 3000 miles. If you do all highway, it could be 6000+ miles easily. Mixed conditions is somewhere in between.

thats a lie

the onboard computer doesnt know that you always drive in stop and go traffic, what it only only is the mileage you do .i.e you service and reset the oil change mileage all it does it counts down the mileage i.e 10000 to zero once it reaches 0 it display oil service if you dont reset it continues to count in negative digits

the only problem is see in nigeria is likely too much fake or sub standard oil labelled and original and people not being able to really separate the two they have opted to do less miles between the services as way to protect ones engine

the 1st pic shows service requirement at 15000 and the last instrustion say reset the service light indicator

the 2nd pic shows service requirement at 30000 i ticked the were say reset

so remember when it comes to service its either one of the two that comes mileage count or number of months aka years then you change

imagine an old couple who only use the car to shop once every saturday, then sunday to church, that car will takes ages to clock 10000km so if two years passes without even triggering the service light by the 3rd year the oil should be changed, oil degrades over with time

Re: When To Change Your Car Engine Oil: The Mileage Way! by birdman(m): 2:37am On Nov 24, 2014
ZIMDRILL:

thats a lie

the onboard computer doesnt know that you always drive in stop and go traffic, what it only only is the mileage you do .i.e you service and reset the oil change mileage all it does it counts down the mileage i.e 10000 to zero once it reaches 0 it display oil service if you dont reset it continues to count in negative digits

the only problem is see in nigeria is likely too much fake or sub standard oil labelled and original and people not being able to really separate the two they have opted to do less miles between the services as way to protect ones engine

the 1st pic shows service requirement at 15000 and the last instrustion say reset the service light indicator

the 2nd pic shows service requirement at 30000 i ticked the were say reset

The only thing you proved with those pictures is that your driving pattern is consistent. Here is an example for jeeps:
http://www.wkjeeps.com/wk_oil_indicator.htm
Here is a similar one for your 2008 Audi - read the first 3-4 posts
http://www.a5oc.com/forums/a5-general-q/8326-oil-change-service-interval.html

By monitoring powertrain, brakes, etc, the car has a good idea of your driving pattern.

The next time you do mostly all highway driving for a 1000 miles, do an oil check. Look at the color and viscosity. Do the same thing when you do a significant amount of in-city driving. You will find the oil dirtier when all you do is stop and go. Why? Starting and stopping your engine introduces the biggest wear on the engine. Once you are at speed and stay there, this is the state the engine was naturally built to operate in, and your oil works the way it should.
Im sure you can google car.com to get more details on the above.

I have done mostly highway for a couple of months >70mph, and my oil indicator life is just above 50%
Re: When To Change Your Car Engine Oil: The Mileage Way! by San2ski(m): 2:48pm On Nov 24, 2014
Chaiii !!!!!
My owner's manual is written in Korean.
Oh, I'm using a very trustworthy 98 Avante (Elentra).

These are the only figures/alphabets I can get from the whole book[b].
"
185/65/14
. 175/80/14. Pa66 gf13 m25 . SG 10w-30
"[/b]
Can Somebody pls decipher the codes? shocked shocked shocked

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

5 Nigerian Big Boys That Were Killed By Power Bike Accidents (Photos) / Unbelievable Tokunbo Cars Spotted In Lagos (Shocking Photos) / Guy In Lekki Lagos Designed This Car... (pictures)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 171
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.