Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,723 members, 7,816,977 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 09:53 PM

Why I Didn’t Attend Ojukwu’s Burial – Gowon - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Why I Didn’t Attend Ojukwu’s Burial – Gowon (9336 Views)

Never Seen Pictures Of Ojukwu's Burial / Ta Orji Disgraced At Aba During Ojukwu Burial Rites / Ojukwu’s Burial: S’east, S’south To Be Closed Down, As Uwazuruike Blasts (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Why I Didn’t Attend Ojukwu’s Burial – Gowon by OAM4J: 3:32am On Mar 14, 2012
Why I didn’t attend Ojukwu’s burial – Gowon

By GODWIN ORITSE

LAGOS—FORMER Head of State, General Yakubu Gowon (rtd), Tuesday, explained his absence at the funeral rites of the late Biafran warlord, Dim Emeka Odumegwu-Ojukwu, saying he already had commitments abroad on the dates of the burial.

Speaking exclusively with Vanguard at the on-going Nigerian Maritime Exposition, NIMAREX, Gen. Gowon stated that as soldiers, ”it is only proper to give due respect and honour to our opponents” but described the late Ikemba Nnewi as his opponent during the Nigerian civil war.

Gowon said he spoke with the family while Ojukwu was hospitalised and had wished him quick recovery. He also stated that because of his inability to attend the burial service, the family suggested he wrote a tribute on the programme of event, a request he happily obliged them.

He said: ” Unfortunately, the dates of my friend’s burial coincided with the dates of some commitments I already had abroad, that is in America and U.K.

“And, I did speak with Senator Obi who was the contact person and they requested I wrote a tribute, which I did. If I had been in the country, I would have attended and I had wanted to attend because I was in contact with the son and he had always called me ‘Uncle John’ because that is how he knew me when he was small.

“He wrote me a very good letter asking if I could come for his father’s funeral and honestly I wanted to, but for the commitments that I had.

“Although I had visited Ojukwu and the family at home in Enugu in April 2010 and that was the last time I saw him alive and, of course, soon after that, he took ill.

“But I was able to make contact with the family in London and spoke to his little girl, Ebele, that answered the phone and we had a good conversation with her.

“I told her to tell her daddy to come back so that we can continue the fight and the little girl burst into laughter.
“The way she laughed made me understand that she knew that I asked after her father not in hostility but in love and friendship.

“And, honestly, I will never forget the reaction of that little girl and I was made to understand that she passed the message to her mother and elders in the family,”

http://www.vanguardngr.com/2012/03/why-i-didnt-attend-ojukwus-burial-gowon/
Re: Why I Didn’t Attend Ojukwu’s Burial – Gowon by daroz(m): 4:55am On Mar 14, 2012
Na lie, na fear make am no go ;DNa lie, na fear make am no go
Re: Why I Didn’t Attend Ojukwu’s Burial – Gowon by chuks49(m): 9:29am On Mar 14, 2012
Who need your presence, dumb aboki.
Re: Why I Didn’t Attend Ojukwu’s Burial – Gowon by emmke(m): 9:39am On Mar 14, 2012
Gowon you dont owe anybody any explanation.
Re: Why I Didn’t Attend Ojukwu’s Burial – Gowon by Okijajuju1(m): 9:52am On Mar 14, 2012
Gowon, you are a real Niggar!!

You dont need to exlain to nobody why you couldnt make the darn burial. . .

I loved the "I told her to tell her daddy to come back so that we can continue the fight and the little girl burst into laughter." part of your comment. . . Its good to see that like a real nigga that you are, you have squashed the beef. . Even the mans kids call you "UNCLE". .

I wonder if the BIAFRANS here amongst us feel betrayed by Ojukwu for dinning with the enemy.
Re: Why I Didn’t Attend Ojukwu’s Burial – Gowon by Nobody: 9:56am On Mar 14, 2012
This man suppose to be in jos b4 malu people kill his people finish
Re: Why I Didn’t Attend Ojukwu’s Burial – Gowon by Johnsinia(m): 10:07am On Mar 14, 2012
@okijajuju u r d greatxt foooooooooool i ve ever knwn.
Re: Why I Didn’t Attend Ojukwu’s Burial – Gowon by Okijajuju1(m): 10:16am On Mar 14, 2012
Johnsinia: @okijajuju u r d greatxt foooooooooool i ve ever knwn.

And who are you?! angry

And so what?!

You should be proud. . . You are the worst Inbred mor'on I shall never know. . . Mpki
Re: Why I Didn’t Attend Ojukwu’s Burial – Gowon by MAKAS4REAL(f): 10:37am On Mar 14, 2012
D man is resting in peace so his not coming wouldn't 've make a diff.
Re: Why I Didn’t Attend Ojukwu’s Burial – Gowon by MAKAS4REAL(f): 10:40am On Mar 14, 2012
MAKAS4REAL: D man is resting in peace so his not coming wouldn't 've make a diff.
Re: Why I Didn’t Attend Ojukwu’s Burial – Gowon by bakila: 10:42am On Mar 14, 2012
chuks49: Who need your presence, dumb aboki.
Hahaaahaaaha
Re: Why I Didn’t Attend Ojukwu’s Burial – Gowon by Dudugirl01(f): 10:43am On Mar 14, 2012
He doesn't owe anybody any form of explanation, neither does anyone have a right to call him names, even if he was in his bedroom and didn't attend, all well and good, afterall!!!
Re: Why I Didn’t Attend Ojukwu’s Burial – Gowon by crackhouse(m): 10:44am On Mar 14, 2012
Okija_juju: Gowon, you are a real Niggar!!

You dont need to exlain to nobody why you couldnt make the darn burial. . .

I loved the "I told her to tell her daddy to come back so that we can continue the fight and the little girl burst into laughter." part of your comment. . . Its good to see that like a real nigga that you are, you have squashed the beef. . Even the mans kids call you "UNCLE". .

I wonder if the BIAFRANS here amongst us feel betrayed by Ojukwu for dinning with the enemy.
Re: Why I Didn’t Attend Ojukwu’s Burial – Gowon by onyewec3: 10:47am On Mar 14, 2012
GOWON....did u hear that malu aboki illiterates are killing your brethren in jos and u are comenting y u didn't attend ojukwu's burial.
Infact,u don't need to be there @ least smeone greater than you was there(jerry rawlings).
I go see how dem go burry you wen u die.maybe u will be buried on sharia soil wen Nigeria finally breaks up
Re: Why I Didn’t Attend Ojukwu’s Burial – Gowon by kwaghe: 10:48am On Mar 14, 2012
Gowon should have attended the funeral as a mark of the end of the BIAFRA struggle.
Re: Why I Didn’t Attend Ojukwu’s Burial – Gowon by Ejine(m): 10:48am On Mar 14, 2012
Sure, he doesn't owe anyone any explanations; but I wonder who even asked him to explain anything in the first place. Must you go to the journalists?
Re: Why I Didn’t Attend Ojukwu’s Burial – Gowon by bakila: 10:51am On Mar 14, 2012
Gowon and Ojukwu best of friends in life and death. The families have attested to that.
Re: Why I Didn’t Attend Ojukwu’s Burial – Gowon by bakila: 10:54am On Mar 14, 2012
onyewec3: GOWON....did u hear that malu aboki illiterates are killing your brethren in jos and u are comenting y u didn't attend ojukwu's burial.
Infact,u don't need to be there @ least smeone greater than you was there(jerry rawlings).
I go see how dem go burry you wen u die.maybe u will be buried on sharia soil wen Nigeria finally breaks up
At least he has crushed the first one and he has always ask for prayers for Nigeria. Did you pray for Nigeria today?
Re: Why I Didn’t Attend Ojukwu’s Burial – Gowon by mikuz(m): 11:00am On Mar 14, 2012
OAM4J: Why I didn’t attend Ojukwu’s burial – Gowon

By GODWIN ORITSE

LAGOS—FORMER Head of State, General Yakubu Gowon (rtd), Tuesday, explained his absence at the funeral rites of the late Biafran warlord, Dim Emeka Odumegwu-Ojukwu, saying he already had commitments abroad on the dates of the burial.

Speaking exclusively with Vanguard at the on-going Nigerian Maritime Exposition, NIMAREX, Gen. Gowon stated that as soldiers, ”it is only proper to give due respect and honour to our opponents” but described the late Ikemba Nnewi as his opponent during the Nigerian civil war.

Gowon said he spoke with the family while Ojukwu was hospitalised and had wished him quick recovery. He also stated that because of his inability to attend the burial service, the family suggested he wrote a tribute on the programme of event, a request he happily obliged them.

He said: ” Unfortunately, the dates of my friend’s burial coincided with the dates of some commitments I already had abroad, that is in America and U.K.

“And, I did speak with Senator Obi who was the contact person and they requested I wrote a tribute, which I did. If I had been in the country, I would have attended and I had wanted to attend because I was in contact with the son and he had always called me ‘Uncle John’ because that is how he knew me when he was small.

“He wrote me a very good letter asking if I could come for his father’s funeral and honestly I wanted to, but for the commitments that I had.

“Although I had visited Ojukwu and the family at home in Enugu in April 2010 and that was the last time I saw him alive and, of course, soon after that, he took ill.

“But I was able to make contact with the family in London and spoke to his little girl, Ebele, that answered the phone and we had a good conversation with her.

“I told her to tell her daddy to come back so that we can continue the fight and the little girl burst into laughter.
“The way she laughed made me understand that she knew that I asked after her father not in hostility but in love and friendship.

“And, honestly, I will never forget the reaction of that little girl and I was made to understand that she passed the message to her mother and elders in the family,”

http://www.vanguardngr.com/2012/03/why-i-didnt-attend-ojukwus-burial-gowon/
who cares? Mtchew
Re: Why I Didn’t Attend Ojukwu’s Burial – Gowon by niddamugu(m): 11:04am On Mar 14, 2012
bakila: Gowon and Ojukwu best of friends in life and death. The families have attested to that.

Yeah! We all know that. But he made a very big irreversible blunder. All these talks are signs of guilty conscience. What could have been more international at that time than the burial of Ojukwu?

He has erred Period!
Re: Why I Didn’t Attend Ojukwu’s Burial – Gowon by finezlord: 11:06am On Mar 14, 2012
you are a coward gowon we don't need your explanation.even after ojukwu's demise you are still afraid to stand in his presence.this your last stunt shows that you are the Nigerian number one enemy instead of Dim ikemba you tagged enemy of the state,well we are enjoying the show as it lasts because what goes round comes around gowon,and lets i forget, hope you are defending the nation with everyday massacre of your people in the middle belt? damn fresh air isn't it? but let me remind you that you have missed the last chance of saying sorry to the igbo nation in other to move on as a nation for the pogrom you committed even when you are not the rightful person to take the mantle of leadership.we are watching though it looks like you are afraid of your so call brothers you join forces to fight the BIAFRA sovereignty, because your people are been murdered in their sleep like goat. or are you still planning for strategies? lets see how you can save your own people this time around poor general that murdered innocent unarmed children and women in cold blood.
Re: Why I Didn’t Attend Ojukwu’s Burial – Gowon by Nobody: 11:31am On Mar 14, 2012
grin grin ;DHahahaha very funny and pathetic, Its like a live Goat who is still afraid of a dead Lion, he might wake up and use him as the dinner as usual.
Re: Why I Didn’t Attend Ojukwu’s Burial – Gowon by manchy7531: 11:34am On Mar 14, 2012
A comment from olatunji in vanguard

Gowon and Ojukwu’s Funeral.
No need for all the lame excuses. We do understand; Nigerians are no babies. It was a wise decision to stay away from the Ikemba's Funeral. With the level of passion prevailing across the spectrum, the presence of Gowon could ignite the dry tinder. The intricacies of 1966/1967 viz. the Igbo massacres, the Aburi Accord subterfuge, the genocidal war, the steal named abandoned property, the punitive impoverishment of the Igbo, the 'no victor, no vanquished' hoax that kept many ex-Biafra soldiers in jail- constitute the monstrous luggage he would have brought with him. It is all available in the public domain. He battles with an introverted castigation. There is hardly a day in his life the thought of the 1966 pogrom fails to flash across his mind.
It is doubtful if the military has the word "OPPONENT" on its lexicon. It is either 'FRIENDLY FIRE" or "ENEMY FIRE". To hedging around and refer to Odumegwu-Ojukwu as "OPPONENT" is cowardly and pretentious. He is unable to get over his hatred and disdain for Ojukwu and his kinsmen. He should use the right appellation -"ENEMY". Warfare is not like a boxng or soccer match were you deal with “OPPONENT”S.
Only a little girl could take his call. It is both despicable and embarrassing that at his age, he relished speaking "... to his (The Ikemba's) little girl, Ebele, that answered the phone and we had a good conversation with her". The graphic nature of this remark would make one mistake the author for a sexual predator or pedophile of some sort.
Gowon has tried to keep a straight face in spite of the heavy burden of guilt he has never bothered to make up for. There is no doubt it will haunt him for the rest of his life. His life is an absolute living hell. It is arguable that the perennial loss of innocent lives in Jos and environs has everything to do with the evil he brought home. Hiding behind the ACF skirts and toting bibles and running around the place for prayers will not help. It is all about 50,000 innocent children, women and men massacred under his watch as "SUPREME COMMANDER". All that hypocritical display of piety will not make it go away. After all, this very same Gowon could let down 50,000 defenseless Igbos who had believed that, being Christian, he would not allow the massacre. Today, we know how Christian Gowon is.
Nobody sees honor in a soldier who turns his gun on the civilian compatriots he swore to protect. The brutal slaughter of 50,000 innocent compatriots, for the only reason that they were Igbos, offends the conscience. It is not some triviality that can be erased from Gowon's
Re: Why I Didn’t Attend Ojukwu’s Burial – Gowon by otondo55: 11:38am On Mar 14, 2012

Coward like gowon, Nobody noticed that you didnt come.

there is no hiding place for you. Ikemba lives on !
Re: Why I Didn’t Attend Ojukwu’s Burial – Gowon by emmke(m): 11:47am On Mar 14, 2012
finezlord: you are a coward gowon we don't need your explanation.even after ojukwu's demise you are still afraid to stand in his presence.this your last stunt shows that you are the Nigerian number one enemy instead of Dim ikemba you tagged enemy of the state,well we are enjoying the show as it lasts because what goes round comes around gowon,and lets i forget, hope you are defending the nation with everyday massacre of your people in the middle belt? damn fresh air isn't it? but let me remind you that you have missed the last chance of saying sorry to the igbo nation in other to move on as a nation for the pogrom you committed even when you are not the rightful person to take the mantle of leadership.we are watching though it looks like you are afraid of your so call brothers you join forces to fight the BIAFRA sovereignty, because your people are been murdered in their sleep like goat. or are you still planning for strategies? lets see how you can save your own people this time around poor general that murdered innocent unarmed children and women in cold blood.
bla bla. Worry not about the people of jos. They never ask for ur help. Worry about ur brothers in the north that are also being killed yet refused to go back. Mehn, seriously how bad is that ur se that most of your folks will rather die in the north than relocate? Men, we still see them trooping in in their ekene dili chukwus daily.

1 Like

Re: Why I Didn’t Attend Ojukwu’s Burial – Gowon by pswag: 12:39pm On Mar 14, 2012
manchy, kaylordz and fynchy.... u all r so not objective. stop the bias, lets honour the deceased Icon and respect the living legend.
Re: Why I Didn’t Attend Ojukwu’s Burial – Gowon by ekwynwa: 1:42pm On Mar 14, 2012
emmke: bla bla. Worry not about the people of jos. They never ask for ur help. Worry about ur brothers in the north that are also being killed yet refused to go back. Mehn, seriously how bad is that ur se that most of your folks will rather die in the north than relocate? Men, we still see them trooping in in their ekene dili chukwus daily.

you are a goat for spewing this trash.
Re: Why I Didn’t Attend Ojukwu’s Burial – Gowon by Nobody: 1:54pm On Mar 14, 2012
ThankGod he didnt go.oju-iku is dead and rotten in his golden casket,so gowon owes no okoro any explanation.
Re: Why I Didn’t Attend Ojukwu’s Burial – Gowon by ekwynwa: 2:07pm On Mar 14, 2012
~Bluetooth:

ThankGod he didnt go.oju-iku is dead and rotten in his golden casket,so gowon owes no okoro any explanation.

But he has apologised tongue and profusely too tongue tongue

So the joke is on you baboon

Nobody knew when Awo’s decomposed carcass was thrown into the evil forest after committing suicide
Re: Why I Didn’t Attend Ojukwu’s Burial – Gowon by Nobody: 2:12pm On Mar 14, 2012
~Bluetooth:

He apologized because okoro wont stop bitching about his absence.Anyways,he will come during his one year anniversary.
Re: Why I Didn’t Attend Ojukwu’s Burial – Gowon by ekwynwa: 2:44pm On Mar 14, 2012
deleted
Re: Why I Didn’t Attend Ojukwu’s Burial – Gowon by ekwynwa: 2:50pm On Mar 14, 2012
~Bluetooth:

He apologized because okoro wont stop bitching about his absence.Anyways,he will come during his one year anniversary.

cool

(1) (2) (Reply)

Public Power Supply Continues To Improve / Breaking: The Long Awaited Biafran Television : Biafra Media / NERC Ignores Nairalander's Complaints Against Ibedc's Illegal Disconnection.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 51
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.