Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,160 members, 7,821,941 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 10:22 PM

What Is The Problem With Nigeria Police? - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / What Is The Problem With Nigeria Police? (9653 Views)

Buhari Attending UN Assembly With Nigeria’s Slimmest Delegation In Decades. / How to tackle the Problem of Corruption Cankerworm In Nigeria! / Releasing Chibok Girls Information Will Damage Ties With Nigeria –UK (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

What Is The Problem With Nigeria Police? by kazum(m): 9:11am On Mar 20, 2012
Nigeria police has been coming something else, they are just looking for all ways to exploit money from the people they are to protect. Almost a month now that the new IG stop them from road block, this so call police have been arising people on the street.

I was on my way to work this morning by 5:53am (7min to 6:00am) my house is just 3min walking distance to my bus stop where I will join the staff bus(Oja Bus stop at Egbeda). Immediately I came out of my gate, I saw a Danfo bus (Lagos yellow bus) with some men inside it (without uniform). I saw them dragging one man inside the bus and make a u-turn toward my direction. I keep some distance away from the road, immediately one of them jump out of the bus and cross my path, he told me to enter the bus immediately a shouted OLE OLE OLE . The guy rough handled me but like three cars has flashed them that make the place to be brighter. Latter a man came out from the bus wearing police monkey jacket and police gun, that they are police that where am I going by this time of the day (5:53am).
Please my people is this professional? Because they act like a thief and I believe they are just try to exploit money from People.

1 Like

Re: What Is The Problem With Nigeria Police? by Callotti: 9:46am On Mar 20, 2012
You mean the Nigerian Criminal Force?
Re: What Is The Problem With Nigeria Police? by stepo707: 11:23am On Mar 20, 2012
Their problem is that most of them dont even know their job.They need to be retrained
Re: What Is The Problem With Nigeria Police? by Nobody: 11:25am On Mar 20, 2012
@OP, I thank God that they did not kill you. I think the reason for their bad demeanor is frustration. They are taking it out on the unarmed masses to feel a sense of importance and control.
We must admit though, that they are poorly paid and are desperately searching for alternative sources of income, one being exploitation.
Re: What Is The Problem With Nigeria Police? by nomshu(m): 11:33am On Mar 20, 2012
there problem is lack of motivation, they need to be motivated in all aspect. i feel sorry for them that boko boz has nearly finish them
Re: What Is The Problem With Nigeria Police? by otokx(m): 11:36am On Mar 20, 2012
Terrible but that is Nigeria for you.
Re: What Is The Problem With Nigeria Police? by achi4u(m): 11:44am On Mar 20, 2012
nigerian police is a double edage sword,try aviod them,they are the realy parasite in this country.
Re: What Is The Problem With Nigeria Police? by kholis(m): 11:47am On Mar 20, 2012
Extortion has eaten deep into their blood stream. They just cant stop.

Re: What Is The Problem With Nigeria Police? by Scarpon(m): 11:50am On Mar 20, 2012
some times their act crazy
Re: What Is The Problem With Nigeria Police? by oba009(m): 11:58am On Mar 20, 2012
Callotti: You mean the Nigerian Criminal Force?

It is Nigerian Poverty Force . Exactly
Re: What Is The Problem With Nigeria Police? by Nobody: 11:59am On Mar 20, 2012
[b]Start Browsing from N1,000 with 3.5G HUAWEI Universal USB Internet Modem @N4,999 only

**7.2Mbps maximum downlink
**Works with MTN, Zain, Glo & Etisalat
**SMS Capable
**MicroSD Slot (Can be used as flash drive)
**Phonebook functionality
**Plug & Play
**Voice Calls Supported
**Compatible with Windows XP/2000/Vista/7 (32 & 64 bit)
**1yr Warranty
>>>Price: N4,999 (EX Lagos price, additional N500 will apply in other locations)

For Enquiries/purchase contact:
LAGOS - HEAD OFFICE
Chuks Electronics Nigeria
3 Ikosi Road(Ketu Bus Stop)
Ikosi - Ketu, Lagos
Phone: 0812-220-9680
email: akanawu@yahoo.com

LAGOS - YABA (Available on Appointment)
Monday - Friday 8am - 4pm
Phone: 0705-465-8207

ABUJA
Phone: 0815-403-1144

ONITSHA
Shop FF1/8, 1st Floor, CHIBROS Plaza
1 Bida Road, Main market,
ONITSHA
Phone: 0803-587-6491
[/b]

Re: What Is The Problem With Nigeria Police? by andyanders: 11:59am On Mar 20, 2012
Poster, Nigerian policemen are too unhappy with the IG for the new order asking them to stay off road. 2/3 of the force are armed robbers who derive pleasure in robbing people. They charter or order Danfo or most of them own these danfos they use in arresting people and demanding money from them and if you refuse, they can kill you and tag you an armed robber.
They are official armed robbers. The fear of any policeman is the beginning of wisdom. Robbery has reduced now as most of them are the robbers.
Re: What Is The Problem With Nigeria Police? by pendulasis: 12:05pm On Mar 20, 2012
If you don't like your job u resign and look for another or be self employed the issue of not bean well paid should not bee a point to exploit others
Re: What Is The Problem With Nigeria Police? by hardbody: 12:09pm On Mar 20, 2012
When you people were jubilating that they had been forced out of the roads, where were you guys expecting them to augment their incomes from?, una never hala. Very soon they will be conducting house-to-house arrests and guess what, the police have so much wide powers that if they are brilliant, the Criminal Procedure Act/Code and The Police Act could almost always cover whatever steps they might have taken to perpetuate illegality.
Re: What Is The Problem With Nigeria Police? by PrinceDudu(m): 12:17pm On Mar 20, 2012
Yours is just one of a whole lot of instances, ma broda, i tired for thier wahala O!
Re: What Is The Problem With Nigeria Police? by Osama10(m): 12:26pm On Mar 20, 2012
When next you see them coming your way just back step into your house. grin

Those guys are the most frustrated people in naija, try your best to avoid them as much as possible. cool
Re: What Is The Problem With Nigeria Police? by Nobody: 12:28pm On Mar 20, 2012
HuevA said a change of uniform would change anything
Re: What Is The Problem With Nigeria Police? by Beaf: 12:30pm On Mar 20, 2012
stepo707: Their problem is that most of them dont even know their job.They need to be retrained

They need to be sacked at best or shot at worst.
Re: What Is The Problem With Nigeria Police? by Nobody: 12:36pm On Mar 20, 2012
Cursed set of people.
Re: What Is The Problem With Nigeria Police? by stildude(m): 12:46pm On Mar 20, 2012
Poster, Nigerian policemen are too unhappy with the IG for the new order asking them to stay off road. 2/3 of the force are armed robbers who derive pleasure in robbing people. They charter or order Danfo or most of them own these danfos they use in arresting people and demanding money from them and if you refuse, they can kill you and tag you an armed robber.
They are official armed robbers. The fear of any policeman is the beginning of wisdom. Robbery has reduced now as most of them are the robbers.

Very true.

However, My fear is that the Nigerian Police being a very criminal and desperate organization, would likely create demand for road block by creating a high level of insecurity on the road like armed robbery on the high way. I Think to counter this kind of move, there should be a working task force, like the one I saw along benin-auchi-abuja road some time ago. They came into one station and booked one custable for flaunting the law against improper dressing (some police men would rather wear mopol T-shirt than wear their conventional uniform in bid to hide their identity). Some amount of money was also seen hidden inside the DPO airconditioner, money they have extorted from complainants and people taken on bail for money there. The Place is Ehor police station. The men of the Nigerian police force should also be made to sign in at their various station when they come in and sign out any time they are leaving the station. The armoury should also be closely monitored. There should also be an active group of elite (honourable) police men who would monitor their colleagues and open a good line of communication with the public, where people will feel free to report any excesses on the part of their colleagues. That body should have human right group representative,state antoney general rep, State assembly rep as well as ordinary citizen especially the media being represented there. This will go a long way in checking unprofessional and criminal tendencies and behaviours in the force.
Re: What Is The Problem With Nigeria Police? by wellheads(m): 12:47pm On Mar 20, 2012
Who says police is not well paid in Naija? They receive close to a hundred thousand naira a month. Civil servants are not receiving even half of their pay.

I think the key issue here is greed, which they have developed over the years and they find it difficult to do away with it now.
Re: What Is The Problem With Nigeria Police? by Knorkastur: 12:49pm On Mar 20, 2012
Re: What Is The Problem With Nigeria Police? by ouigy99(m): 12:50pm On Mar 20, 2012
@ poster, As dem don ban check point na... this is their new way of generating money... at least if they carry u go station, u wld end up bailing urself with like 3k. Then, Imagine say dem full the danfo with 10pple, that's 30k before 6am. shocked shocked grin I remember travelling to the east with my parents some years back, we were stopped near okada in edo state, and the ogogoro smelling policeman asked my dad for money. Wen my father refused, he said "Mr man, if you no cooperate, i go kill you, your wife and your pikin. I go say una be thief wey wan escape and nothing go happen"...... i think my dad quickly dropped him like 2k grin grin grin
Re: What Is The Problem With Nigeria Police? by andyanders: 1:35pm On Mar 20, 2012
In fact, Nigerian Policemen are disgusting. I remember an incident in about 1986 when I was still young. My elder brother went for a course to Nagoya, Japan and after his course that took about 1 yr, he came back to Nigeria with his personal effects of which were just few items like 1 complete music stereo, TV,electric cooking gas and some other items of which these items not more than one each.
He never had problems at the airport.

The he was with Delta steel Warri. I was with him and we traveled with our car heading to Delta. On our way, we were stopped by armed policemen who asked us to park of which we did. We were asked to come down and we obeyed. One of the police officers demanded for the receipts of the items and my brother complied and gave him the receipts he bought the items with from Japan. He explained to this idiot that they were personal effects and the guys said that he wants him to produce the receipt issued in Nigeria. My brother told him that he had only the receipt issued in Japan. He got angry and demanded we give him money and my brother showed him his international passport and he got more angry. I asked my brother not to argue with him. The guy told us that " do you know I can waste you here"? dI now knew that we are at danger. My brother brought out 2k and gave the idiot and he collected after about 30 mins.
We thanked our God that we were not killed by these animals.

Fear policemen in order to be alive. Don't say it is your right, I will report you or brag with them. They will kill you and tag you armed robbers.
Re: What Is The Problem With Nigeria Police? by oniwo(m): 1:44pm On Mar 20, 2012
kazum: Nigeria police has been coming something else, they are just looking for all ways to exploit money from the people they are to protect. Almost a month now that the new IG stop them from road block, this so call police have been arising people on the street.

I was on my way to work this morning by 5:53am (7min to 6:00am) my house is just 3min walking distance to my bus stop where I will join the staff bus(Ojo Bus stop at Egbeda). Immediately I came out of my gate, I saw a Danfo bus (Lagos yellow bus) with some men inside it (without uniform). I saw them dragging one man inside the bus and make a u-turn toward my direction. I keep some distance away from the road, immediately one of them jump out of the bus and cross my path, he told me to enter the bus immediately a shouted OLE OLE OLE . The guy rough handled me but like three cars has flashed them that make the place to be brighter. Latter a man came out from the bus wearing police monkey jacket and police gun, that they are police that where am I going by this time of the day (5:53am).
Please my people is this professional? Because they act like a thief and I believe they are just try to exploit money from People.
These so call police men are in every where now trying to exploit citizens their belongings illegally in the name that the army robbers are using the opportunity of the absent of the police men on the high way.
God will surely punish the ONITSHA POLICE ZONES for their act of crime.AMEN
Re: What Is The Problem With Nigeria Police? by Btruth: 1:48pm On Mar 20, 2012
stepo707: Their problem is that most of them dont even know their job.They need to be retrained

They all need to be fired. We need another breed of policemen. I'm tired of this same old wine in a new bottle.
Re: What Is The Problem With Nigeria Police? by Koolking(m): 2:04pm On Mar 20, 2012
Btruth:

They all need to be fired. We need another breed of policemen. I'm tired of this same old wine in a new bottle.

You needn't think of firing them as an option, they will become nuisance to the society. The best option is to exterminate them.
Re: What Is The Problem With Nigeria Police? by Iliveon: 2:06pm On Mar 20, 2012
@OP, You did not finish the story. What happened after?Did you give them money or they just allowed you to go.
Re: What Is The Problem With Nigeria Police? by simpleman1: 2:07pm On Mar 20, 2012
The egbeda police has been the most stupid police in the whole of lagos state, you guys can confirm from anyone that lives around egbeda, I was standing by the road side sometimes last year waiting for bike when their danfo bus stopped by they asked for my id and i showed them my international student ID which they aren't satisfied with, i knew they are looking for way to take money from me for no reason i was asked to go to the station with them i argued not to go i was bundle into their lagos yellow bus, if you dont settle them they might say you are a suspected boko haram or suspected armed robber, they are just too stupid most especially the Isheri Idimu station, i think the IG need to send people there to investigate them , alot of illegal job is been done there.
Re: What Is The Problem With Nigeria Police? by Koolking(m): 2:29pm On Mar 20, 2012
nomshu: there problem is lack of motivation, they need to be motivated in all aspect. i feel sorry for them that boko boz has nearly finish them

Motivation in what way sir? Pay or orientation? These guys are not ready to show that patriotism, the hierarchy of the force don't see anything wrong in their anti-taxpayers activities. They are inclined to evil. Pay the least ranked officer 1m/per 28days, he will still be unsatisfied. Leave matter to matthias sir.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Nigerian Anthem Vs American Anthem: Am I An American? / Dabiri-erewa Condemns Killing Of Nigerian Teenager In London / Students Hold Prayer In Yobe For Safe Return Of Abducted Dapchi Girls(pics)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 58
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.