Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,095 members, 7,953,335 topics. Date: Thursday, 19 September 2024 at 02:34 PM

Independent Journalist Ahmad Salkida Threatened Over Boko Haram Coverage - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Independent Journalist Ahmad Salkida Threatened Over Boko Haram Coverage (5233 Views)

DSS Captures Khalid Barnawi - Ahmad Salkida / Gwoza Recapture: Journalist Ahmad Salkida Questions Military Claims / Nigerian Soldiers Jubilating After Victory Over Boko Haram (photo) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Independent Journalist Ahmad Salkida Threatened Over Boko Haram Coverage by Ddaji(m): 12:47pm On Mar 20, 2012
A Nigerian journalist who has extensively covered the conflict between the government and Islamist sect Boko Haram says his life is under threat.

Ahmad Salkida, an independent journalist, told the Comittee to Protect Journalists (CPJ) that he noticed a white 4X4 Hilux with a Lagos state registration number following him on Thursday for several hours, including to his house in Abuja, the Nigerian capital.

He said he has also received phone threats from anonymous callers in the past few days that he believes are coming from government security agents in connection to his contacts with Boko Haram.

“They said I am a Boko Haram member, that me and them are not supposed to exist. That they know where I live and they will visit me,” Salkida told CPJ.

Last week, various media reported that the Nigerian government and Boko Haram militants have been engaged in secret, mediated negotiations. Since that news was reported, Salkida told CPJ, he has received several threatening calls from concealed numbers accusing him of being the instigator of the talks. “They said that as far as they are concerned, they will never allow anything like negotiation. They said they have it on authority that I am the link to the negotiation process. That I should desist; otherwise they’ll descend on me,” Salkida told CPJ. Salkida has refuted the accusations on his blog.

“We are concerned about the safety of Ahmad Salkida,” said CPJ Africa Advocacy Coordinator Mohamed Keita. “Nigerian authorities must take these threats seriously and we hold the government responsible for Salkida’s well-being.” Doyin Adetuberin, spokesman for the State Security Service, Nigeria’s secret police, declined to comment when asked about the threats to Salkida.

A spokesman for Nigeria’s regular police, Sola Amore, told CPJ he is not aware of the threats and that Salkida should report his case to the nearest police station. Salkida told CPJ he is apprehensive of the police, which arbitrarily detained him over his reportage on the activities of the militant group in 2009 when he was a reporter for Daily Trust.

http://www.cpj.org/2012/03/nigerian-journalist-threatened-over-boko-haram-cov.php
Re: Independent Journalist Ahmad Salkida Threatened Over Boko Haram Coverage by Callotti: 3:05pm On Mar 20, 2012
A spokesman for Nigeria’s regular police, Sola Amore, told CPJ he is not aware of the threats and that Salkida should report his case to the nearest police station. Salkida told CPJ he is apprehensive of the police, which arbitrarily detained him over his reportage on the activities of the militant group in 2009 when he was a reporter for Daily Trust.

Mu he he he he he he

I understand. That would be like using your report button on any Nigerian forum.cheesy

What a nightmare.
Re: Independent Journalist Ahmad Salkida Threatened Over Boko Haram Coverage by Ddaji(m): 3:39pm On Mar 20, 2012
Last week, various media reported that the Nigerian government and Boko Haram militants have been engaged in secret, mediated negotiations. Since that news was reported, Salkida told CPJ, he has received several threatening calls from concealed numbers accusing him of being the instigator of the talks. “They said that as far as they are concerned, they will never allow anything like negotiation. They said they have it on authority that I am the link to the negotiation process. That I should desist; otherwise they’ll descend on me,” Salkida told CPJ. Salkida has refuted the accusations on his blog.
The real truth is security agent and top government functionaries are eating fat from Boko Haram saga,hence hate resolution of the crises.The question is out of 1trillion budgeted for security,what amount exactly we go for actual security.80% percent is for corrupt officials to share.
Re: Independent Journalist Ahmad Salkida Threatened Over Boko Haram Coverage by Nobody: 4:25pm On Mar 21, 2012
Ddaji: Last week, various media reported that the Nigerian government and Boko Haram militants have been engaged in secret, mediated negotiations. Since that news was reported, Salkida told CPJ, he has received several threatening calls from concealed numbers accusing him of being the instigator of the talks. “They said that as far as they are concerned, they will never allow anything like negotiation. They said they have it on authority that I am the link to the negotiation process. That I should desist; otherwise they’ll descend on me,” Salkida told CPJ. Salkida has refuted the accusations on his blog.
The real truth is security agent and top government functionaries are eating fat from Boko Haram saga,hence hate resolution of the crises.The question is out of 1trillion budgeted for security,what amount exactly we go for actual security.80% percent is for corrupt officials to share.
Seeing that you are asking for the reduction of the defence budget, I can easily guess you want the army disarmed in order to favour boko haram. Your words do not make any sense and frankly it seems to me that you are saying that there should not be any budget at all for defence, so that the government wouldn't steel money!
You are silly, no president can ever think of taking the defence money for himself because that would be a treasonable offence and the army would not take it lightly. You are just advocating the destruction of the army and the only agency able to defend unarmed Nigerians against boko haram.
Re: Independent Journalist Ahmad Salkida Threatened Over Boko Haram Coverage by Kobojunkie: 4:30pm On Mar 21, 2012
Ddaji:

Money for security should not all go to fighting Boko Haram . . . . But you may be right in stating that 80% of it goes to corrupt officials as in the past 5 years, there has not been much observed in the area of positive change, when it comes to security in the Nation as a whole.
Re: Independent Journalist Ahmad Salkida Threatened Over Boko Haram Coverage by Nobody: 4:44pm On Mar 21, 2012
I am zulu
Re: Independent Journalist Ahmad Salkida Threatened Over Boko Haram Coverage by senben(m): 5:27pm On Mar 21, 2012
When U dine with de devil U should be prepared to face de music dat every part of Ur body including Ur family members would dance to... Though de threat to his life may not be necessary it should also be considered if de threat are not also from sponsors...(Politicians)!!!!
Re: Independent Journalist Ahmad Salkida Threatened Over Boko Haram Coverage by Nobody: 5:30pm On Mar 21, 2012
senben: When U dine with de devil U should be prepared to face de music dat every part of Ur body including Ur family members would dance to... Though de threat to his life may not be necessary it should also be considered if de threat are not also from sponsors...(Politicians)!!!!
If I had his number I would have threatened him my self, I think ordinary civilians know that some journalists are helping boko haram with propaganda and these civilians want to fight back.
Re: Independent Journalist Ahmad Salkida Threatened Over Boko Haram Coverage by erniewhez(m): 8:37pm On Mar 21, 2012
MY OBSERVATION IS THAT BH IS FRACTIONALIZED AND NEGOTIATION WLF BE A DIVIDE AND RULE STRATEGY BY D GVT TO BREAK BH, THE SPONSORS SENSING THIS DECIDES TO THREATEN D JOURNALIST.D SPONSORS ARE AIMING POLITICAL POWER WHILE D BH MEMBERS R EYEING ISLAMIC NATION PROMISED BY SPONSORS BUT MONEY MAY BUY THEM
Re: Independent Journalist Ahmad Salkida Threatened Over Boko Haram Coverage by Beaf: 12:58am On Mar 23, 2012
That journalist is a clown. He should have participated in one of the failed suicide bombing attempts to free the nation of the stress of dealing with his cowardly cries that his life is in danger.
Re: Independent Journalist Ahmad Salkida Threatened Over Boko Haram Coverage by Callotti: 8:42am On Mar 23, 2012
He has a choice.
Do or Die!
Simple.

(1) (Reply)

NEMA Warns Of Famine As Farmers Flee Boko Haram Attacks / Gulak District Head Killed In Adamawa / TOMPOLO ARRESTED ?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 22
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.