Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,140,668 members, 7,770,847 topics. Date: Tuesday, 19 March 2024 at 03:05 PM

NEMA Warns Of Famine As Farmers Flee Boko Haram Attacks - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / NEMA Warns Of Famine As Farmers Flee Boko Haram Attacks (5191 Views)

DSS WARNS of Planned Boko Haram attacks in Abuja / Obasanjo Warns Of Coup, Isn't That Treasonable? / Prepare For Flood: NEMA Warns South-West States (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

NEMA Warns Of Famine As Farmers Flee Boko Haram Attacks by Dainfamous: 12:55pm On Mar 27, 2012
THE National Emergency Management Agency (NEMA) has warned of a possible famine in the country, following a massive displacement of small and large-scale farmers from the North-East as a result of the Boko Haram insurgency in the area.

To curb further migration of farmers and livestock breeders, NEMA has constituted an Inter-Agency Contingency Committee (IACC).

The warning was made in the “2012 NEMA Report on Boko Haram Insurgency and Disasters in the North-East” made available to The Guardian yesterday in Maiduguri, Borno State.

The report read in part: “Nigeria may face famine by the end of this year because most of the small-scale farmers and big-time farmers in the North are threatened by the Boko Haram attacks. More than 65 per cent of such farmers have already migrated to the southern parts of Nigeria, fearing that the insecurity to both lives and property, including their farmlands and livestock, continues to persist for nearly three years.”

It further stated: “The Boko Haram attacks on these farmers who produce beans, onions, pepper, maize, rice, livestock and catfish in the Lake Chad area for the southern states in the country, have forced them to migrate since the insurgency broke out in Borno State in July 2009.”

The report also stated that the Boko Haram attacks had caused “a wholesale shift to a terrorism-focused approach to disasters in the North-East states,” comprising Borno, Adamawa, Yobe, Gombe, Bauchi and Taraba.

In addition, the report disclosed that the zonal office of NEMA had received an alert from the military on the need to prepare humanitarian contingency frame-work on the implications of the United Nations (UN) Peace-keeping troops withdrawals from Chad and Sudan, as well as the relative peace that might return to Central African Republic.

The displaced and idle rebels from these countries, it is feared, may see Nigeria as a fertile ground to explore for their nefarious activities, especially the border-states in the North-East.

The NEMA report stated that the insurgents, who invaded from neighbouring countries, have attacked several villages in Kala/Balge Local Council of Borno State.

“The foreign invaders imposed various sum of levies and taxes on the villagers ranging from N1 million to N3 million, according to the sizes of the village,” it stated.

The report also stated that the post-election violence displaced 10,000 people in the sub-region, with Bauchi State having the highest of 4,300 while Yobe and Gombe states had 507 and 498 in that order.

.http://www.ngrguardiannews.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=81363:food-scarcity-looms-as-farmers-flee-boko-haram-attacks&catid=1:national&Itemid=559
Re: NEMA Warns Of Famine As Farmers Flee Boko Haram Attacks by Dainfamous: 12:58pm On Mar 27, 2012
Nawaoo i knew things like food shortage will soon be a problem in nigeria because of bombing..............................................
Re: NEMA Warns Of Famine As Farmers Flee Boko Haram Attacks by Nobody: 3:32pm On Mar 27, 2012
Rebel groups,probably from chad,niger now collect levies from farmers in borno,thats what caught my attention.we could as well ceed much of hausa/fulani/kanuri north to chad,maybe that will solve boko haram crises.Take a look at the foodstuff being mentioned;beans,onions,rice,maize,pepper,tomorrow these hausa/fulani/kanuri will say they produce all the food in nigeria. Rice is also produced in the south,besides much of our rice is imported,maize is also produced in virtually all states in the south.As long as there is peace in benue,plateau,nasarawa,taraba; there will not be any food scarcity or crises.The hausa/fulani/kanuri are free to destroy the economy of their states.

4 Likes

Re: NEMA Warns Of Famine As Farmers Flee Boko Haram Attacks by ArQueBusieR(m): 4:47pm On Mar 27, 2012
Interesting.
Re: NEMA Warns Of Famine As Farmers Flee Boko Haram Attacks by Nobody: 4:52pm On Mar 27, 2012
LOL......... cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy
Just one year without southerners and there is famine already! shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked

4 Likes

Re: NEMA Warns Of Famine As Farmers Flee Boko Haram Attacks by Nobody: 5:07pm On Mar 27, 2012
ismhab:
may hunger kill ur father.
your post suggest that you never had parental love.perhaps you were picked up from the gutter. Poor soul.low mind.
Re: NEMA Warns Of Famine As Farmers Flee Boko Haram Attacks by eghost247(m): 5:12pm On Mar 27, 2012
this is really getting out of hand
Re: NEMA Warns Of Famine As Farmers Flee Boko Haram Attacks by PurestBoy(m): 5:14pm On Mar 27, 2012
ismhab:

Typical response of a mad man
Re: NEMA Warns Of Famine As Farmers Flee Boko Haram Attacks by cashmentor(m): 5:33pm On Mar 27, 2012
As much as God Live's, there is just no way what soever that there'll be a Famine in Nigeria, a Country that feeds even other Nations! There'll only be a Famine in Nigeria when the Rain goes on Strike Forever! And even at that, it's effect will be minor, very Minor....atleast, the Egyptians grew crops those days with the Nile through Canals, talkless of even now that there're BoreHoles everywhere! *back to sleep*
Re: NEMA Warns Of Famine As Farmers Flee Boko Haram Attacks by LagBlogger(m): 5:35pm On Mar 27, 2012
Boko Haram will win this war on terror if Nigerians bow to their wishes! Run for cover to stay alive but die of hunger while running! Either way it seems death is calling, my advice therefore will be to stay put and fight back since they have nothing to lose.

3 Likes

Re: NEMA Warns Of Famine As Farmers Flee Boko Haram Attacks by Ogbonaikenna(m): 5:46pm On Mar 27, 2012
Karma has finally caught up with the north and the west. Its your time to starve just like you did to biafrans.

2 Likes

Re: NEMA Warns Of Famine As Farmers Flee Boko Haram Attacks by Navi(m): 5:59pm On Mar 27, 2012
ismhab:

U ® a typical fool
Re: NEMA Warns Of Famine As Farmers Flee Boko Haram Attacks by Akpan107(m): 7:46pm On Mar 27, 2012
chima12: Rebel groups,probably from chad,niger now collect levies from farmers in borno,thats what caught my attention.we could as well ceed much of hausa/fulani/kanuri north to chad,maybe that will solve boko haram crises.Take a look at the foodstuff being mentioned;beans,onions,rice,maize,pepper,tomorrow these hausa/fulani/kanuri will say they produce all the food in nigeria. Rice is also produced in the south,besides much of our rice is imported,maize is also produced in virtually all states in the south.As long as there is peace in benue,plateau,nasarawa,taraba; there will not be any food scarcity or crises.The hausa/fulani/kanuri are free to destroy the economy of their states.
Benue alone is okay to supply the South the needed food stuff. I think, the head of NEMA is from the North and an Hausa Man... He is trying to tell us that, the South cant survive without the North.
Re: NEMA Warns Of Famine As Farmers Flee Boko Haram Attacks by ismhab(m): 8:05pm On Mar 27, 2012
Navi: ismhab:

U ® a typical fool
u basterd do u have father, thank God i sabi one.
Re: NEMA Warns Of Famine As Farmers Flee Boko Haram Attacks by Nobody: 8:07pm On Mar 27, 2012
Akpan107:
Benue alone is okay to supply the South the needed food stuff. I think, the head of NEMA is from the North and an Hausa Man... He is trying to tell us that, the South cant survive without the North.
For god's sake I am from the south, most southerners produce their own food, it is only some bankers and bureaucrats who actually buy food in the south. There is no village in the south in which anybody buys food in the market.

1 Like

Re: NEMA Warns Of Famine As Farmers Flee Boko Haram Attacks by Kobojunkie: 8:19pm On Mar 27, 2012
careytommy: LOL......... cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy
Just one year without southerners and there is famine already! shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked

What exactly has this to do with Southerners?
Re: NEMA Warns Of Famine As Farmers Flee Boko Haram Attacks by Nobody: 8:27pm On Mar 27, 2012
So actually there will soon be famine in the north, so boko haram is implementing a genocide on the northerners!
The thing that is sure is that the north is politically getting weaker everyday and financially becoming a beggar.
Very soon the south will have too much pity to secede from the north.
Re: NEMA Warns Of Famine As Farmers Flee Boko Haram Attacks by wine4dguy: 8:33pm On Mar 27, 2012
Da infamous: THE National Emergency Management Agency (NEMA) has warned of a possible famine in the country, following a massive displacement of small and large-scale farmers from the North-East as a result of the Boko Haram insurgency in the area.

To curb further migration of farmers and livestock breeders, NEMA has constituted an Inter-Agency Contingency Committee (IACC).

The warning was made in the “2012 NEMA Report on Boko Haram Insurgency and Disasters in the North-East” made available to The Guardian yesterday in Maiduguri, Borno State.

The report read in part: “Nigeria may face famine by the end of this year because most of the small-scale farmers and big-time farmers in the North are threatened by the Boko Haram attacks. More than 65 per cent of such farmers have already migrated to the southern parts of Nigeria, fearing that the insecurity to both lives and property, including their farmlands and livestock, continues to persist for nearly three years.”

It further stated: “The Boko Haram attacks on these farmers who produce beans, onions, pepper, maize, rice, livestock and catfish in the Lake Chad area for the southern states in the country, have forced them to migrate since the insurgency broke out in Borno State in July 2009.”

The report also stated that the Boko Haram attacks had caused “a wholesale shift to a terrorism-focused approach to disasters in the North-East states,” comprising Borno, Adamawa, Yobe, Gombe, Bauchi and Taraba.

In addition, the report disclosed that the zonal office of NEMA had received an alert from the military on the need to prepare humanitarian contingency frame-work on the implications of the United Nations (UN) Peace-keeping troops withdrawals from Chad and Sudan, as well as the relative peace that might return to Central African Republic.

The displaced and idle rebels from these countries, it is feared, may see Nigeria as a fertile ground to explore for their nefarious activities, especially the border-states in the North-East.

The NEMA report stated that the insurgents, who invaded from neighbouring countries, have attacked several villages in Kala/Balge Local Council of Borno State.

“The foreign invaders imposed various sum of levies and taxes on the villagers ranging from N1 million to N3 million, according to the sizes of the village,” it stated.

The report also stated that the post-election violence displaced 10,000 people in the sub-region, with Bauchi State having the highest of 4,300 while Yobe and Gombe states had 507 and 498 in that order.

.http://www.ngrguardiannews.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=81363:food-scarcity-looms-as-farmers-flee-boko-haram-attacks&catid=1:national&Itemid=559
I remember vividly on the 25th of december 2011 when Prophet T B joshua prophesied in his life broadcast that there mill be famine in Nigeria when he specificaly stated the cause(boko haram) and possible solution(that anybody who is able should venture into mechanize farming. Mind u am not a member of his church; just recalling
Re: NEMA Warns Of Famine As Farmers Flee Boko Haram Attacks by KINGwax(m): 8:41pm On Mar 27, 2012
Ogbonaikenna: Karma has finally caught up with the north and the west. Its your time to starve just like you did to biafrans.
why did i take you for a fool? Oh! I knw, i knw- your comment
Re: NEMA Warns Of Famine As Farmers Flee Boko Haram Attacks by KINGwax(m): 8:44pm On Mar 27, 2012
Kobojunkie:

What exactly has this to do with Southerners?
i'll be so glad if u can explain that fool to me. I was lost too.
Re: NEMA Warns Of Famine As Farmers Flee Boko Haram Attacks by Nobody: 8:46pm On Mar 27, 2012
Ogbonaikenna: Karma has finally caught up with the north and the west. Its your time to starve just like you did to biafrans.
first of all the west has no food problems, the problems are rather in the north.
Moreover it is Gowon and nobody else who chose to starve the biafrans. I don't understand what the generations of today have to do with our grand fathers' wars.
Re: NEMA Warns Of Famine As Farmers Flee Boko Haram Attacks by Kobojunkie: 9:02pm On Mar 27, 2012
For those with worms for brain, the North produces most of the food consumed in Nigeria(excluding that imported). Many of the farmers who do this are not southerners, or westerners but your average Northerner who has known farming for generation.
Re: NEMA Warns Of Famine As Farmers Flee Boko Haram Attacks by Nobody: 9:09pm On Mar 27, 2012
Kobojunkie: For those with worms for brain, the North produces most of the food consumed in Nigeria(excluding that imported). Many of the farmers who do this are not southerners, or westerners but your average Northerner who has known farming for generation.
why don't you come to my village and show me the northerners working in our farms ?
Everybody in my familly has a farm, everybody I know has a family farm.
the food in markets are produced by local farmers, and we import a big part of what we eat so:
since the southerners either have farms or can afford imported food, the only people who would die of famine will be the northerners. (how stupid must you be to say it is a desert which is feeding people in a rainforest ?)
This is just the same as your "majority" hoax.

4 Likes

Re: NEMA Warns Of Famine As Farmers Flee Boko Haram Attacks by senben(m): 9:37pm On Mar 27, 2012
Dis is de story of El-shabab and Somalian govt...Govt and all Nigerians especially northerners must act fast dis menace has grown wide...
Re: NEMA Warns Of Famine As Farmers Flee Boko Haram Attacks by cashmentor(m): 10:03pm On Mar 27, 2012
Kobojunkie: For those with worms for brain, the North produces most of the food consumed in Nigeria(excluding that imported). Many of the farmers who do this are not southerners, or westerners but your average Northerner who has known farming for generation.
ok, so the southerners just started farming, Abi.... Farming is as important to the South just as it is to the North...just that both Region grow different food crops, and me think the South can survive pretty well with theirs!

2 Likes

Re: NEMA Warns Of Famine As Farmers Flee Boko Haram Attacks by Nobody: 10:41pm On Mar 27, 2012
For the record,except some perishables like tomatoes pepper & onions (which BTW the south grows but not sufficiently) the north does not produce what we cannot sufficiently produce over here.
Wonder why the famine is not here in the south since we depend on the north for food

2 Likes

Re: NEMA Warns Of Famine As Farmers Flee Boko Haram Attacks by Beaf: 11:03pm On Mar 27, 2012
Quite clearly, the famine will occur in the areas most affected by boko harams activities. The most unfortunate aspect is that, boko haram is a terrorist group, so aid agencies and govt might not be able to get food to the people, because the evil boko haram will see any gatherings as bomb targets.

1 Like

Re: NEMA Warns Of Famine As Farmers Flee Boko Haram Attacks by Beync(f): 11:23pm On Mar 27, 2012
Very soon their governor's furom will sart begging for more food allocation to their states

1 Like

Re: NEMA Warns Of Famine As Farmers Flee Boko Haram Attacks by ismhab(m): 11:38pm On Mar 27, 2012
Beync: Very soon their governor's furom will sart begging for more food allocation to their states
i advice u 2 go back 2 primary 2, what is governor's furom?
Re: NEMA Warns Of Famine As Farmers Flee Boko Haram Attacks by Kobojunkie: 11:42pm On Mar 27, 2012
cashmentor: ok, so the southerners just started farming, Abi.... Farming is as important to the South just as it is to the North...just that both Region grow different food crops, and me think the South can survive pretty well with theirs!

Correction, southerners have not just started farming. Farming has been done in the south for decades, however, the bulk of foods consumed, exported and processed in Nigeria(except for imports) still come from the North. Your Egusi? Much of it still comes from the north. Your Onions, rice, pepper, Yam, Millet etc. Still come from the North.

We do not need now to re-write facts simply because individuals cannot get past their hate for the North. It is well known fact proved over and over each year by the hike in price of foods whenever chaos happens in the north.
Re: NEMA Warns Of Famine As Farmers Flee Boko Haram Attacks by msb247(m): 12:00am On Mar 28, 2012
WERE ALL GONNA DIE IF FAMINE HAPPENS cry cry

(1) (2) (Reply)

Former NLC President, & PDP Chieftain Pascal Bafyau Is Dead / modifiedd / Breaking News:Fayose Fights Ecobank Dirty,Ecobank Leaves Ekiti For Now..photos

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 46
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.