Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,762 members, 7,820,651 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 06:50 PM

Geographical Location. . . . . How Did The Igbos Come To Be Known As Easterners? - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Geographical Location. . . . . How Did The Igbos Come To Be Known As Easterners? (5150 Views)

#notobiafra. Igbos Come And Support / Igbos Come Out In Mass And Vote:Win Or No Win Vote PDP Jimi Agbaje / The Six Geographical Regions In Nigeria in Order Of Development (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Geographical Location. . . . . How Did The Igbos Come To Be Known As Easterners? by Okijajuju1(m): 8:30am On Mar 22, 2012
I was going through a topic where the current Eze Ndi Igbo of Nairaland Ichie Onlytruth referred to the "South-South" as; a political and economic red herring which will soon disintegrate. The two bolded is part of why I believe in EASTERN NIGERIA . This prompted me to actually research to see if this statement wasnt as good as shooting oneself in the leg.

I have attached a map just to see. I would even have thought the like of Taraba, Benue and Adamawa would be the ones refered to as Easterners not Igbos.

Educational reasons only. . .

Re: Geographical Location. . . . . How Did The Igbos Come To Be Known As Easterners? by kunlekunle: 9:25am On Mar 22, 2012
before the amalgamation there was norhtern nigeria and southern nigeria.
the north was left as one because of their religion and south divided up for political reasons, then they create the west and the east.
simply, state creation is a tool reducing democratic cohesion, reason for biafra.
Re: Geographical Location. . . . . How Did The Igbos Come To Be Known As Easterners? by kunlekunle: 9:28am On Mar 22, 2012
before the amalgamation there was northern nigeria and southern nigeria.
the north was left as one because of their religion and south divided up for political reasons, then they created the west and the east.
simply, state creation is a tool for reducing democratic cohesion, reason for biafra.
Re: Geographical Location. . . . . How Did The Igbos Come To Be Known As Easterners? by davechika(m): 10:43am On Mar 22, 2012
wat about Mid western region.
Re: Geographical Location. . . . . How Did The Igbos Come To Be Known As Easterners? by Okijajuju1(m): 10:46am On Mar 22, 2012
Im not even going down state lines but rather geographical position. Most of the core Igbo states are positioned in or around the south pole than they are on the east. I would even refer to the Igbos as south central than I would as Easterners.

I think this easterners thing should be dropped in actual reference to their actual geographical location on the map.
Re: Geographical Location. . . . . How Did The Igbos Come To Be Known As Easterners? by Afam4eva(m): 10:49am On Mar 22, 2012
Igboland is not even in the south-east. Cross-rivers state and those northern states you mentioned are more eastward.
Re: Geographical Location. . . . . How Did The Igbos Come To Be Known As Easterners? by KnowAll(m): 11:09am On Mar 22, 2012
Looking at that map the Igbo States of Imo, Abia, Anambra, Enugu and Ebonyin State can be referred as “ East-Central which was the name of that area when states where first created in 1967.

Igbos East of the Niger calling themselves South-Eastern is wrong, the correct nomenclature is actually “East Central.

The SE is actually Cross River State while the far East or Eastern Nigeria is Adamawa and Taraba State.

SS in a way is correct, actually the correct name should be “Extreme Southern Nigeria” because if you call it just Southern Nigeria one would not be able to distinguish between the former “Southern Nigeria Protectorate” of Nigeria and the Southern most part or point in Nigeria, so in other to differentiate it from that mis-conception the word South of the South was coined to refer to areas around Southern Rivers, Bayelsa, SW part of Delta State, including SEastern part of Akwa Ibom to be referred to as South-South.

Western Nigeria according to the map is Kwara State, while the SW actually is the only region that has the correct connotation.
Re: Geographical Location. . . . . How Did The Igbos Come To Be Known As Easterners? by Okijajuju1(m): 11:19am On Mar 22, 2012
afam4eva: Igboland is not even in the south-east. Cross-rivers state and those northern states you mentioned are more eastward.

Thank you!!

I think Igboland is actually in the South of Nigeria not East.

Just thought to point this misconception out!! cool

I'm glad we can finally agree on something!! If only you drop your die-hard love for Rochas, we could actually be best buds!! cool
Re: Geographical Location. . . . . How Did The Igbos Come To Be Known As Easterners? by Dainfamous: 11:26am On Mar 22, 2012
Okija_juju:

Thank you!!

I think Igboland is actually in the South of Nigeria not East.

Just thought to point this misconception out!! cool

I'm glad we can finally agree on something!! If only you drop your die-hard love for Rochas, we could actually be best buds!! cool
why are you people against rochas you and dede1 sad sad
Re: Geographical Location. . . . . How Did The Igbos Come To Be Known As Easterners? by Okijajuju1(m): 11:57am On Mar 22, 2012
Da infamous: why are you people against rochas you and dede1 sad sad

The guy is a Joke. . .

A celebrated clown. .

Newspaper governor. . . I laugh in Arochukwu!!
Re: Geographical Location. . . . . How Did The Igbos Come To Be Known As Easterners? by odumchi: 9:52pm On Mar 24, 2012
In Nigeria, geography is a complicated thing since it's determined mainly by the Niger and Benue Rivers. Anything east of thr Niger is considered eastern and the same for anything west of it (although I disagree with the labelization of Delta state as 'west') while anything North of the Niger and Benue is considered northern.

In that map you posted, half of Enugu, parts of Abia, and Ebonyi lie on the Eastern side. So if that map were to decide the calculation of geography in Nigeria, there'd still be Igbos in the 'East'. But it is safe to say that Igboland lies mainly in Eastern Nigeria (that's if you choose to consider Delta as a western state).
Re: Geographical Location. . . . . How Did The Igbos Come To Be Known As Easterners? by Onlytruth(m): 2:03am On Mar 25, 2012
Okija_juju: I was going through a topic where the current Eze Ndi Igbo of Nairaland Ichie Onlytruth referred to the "South-South" as; a political and economic red herring which will soon disintegrate. The two bolded is part of why I believe in EASTERN NIGERIA . This prompted me to actually research to see if this statement wasnt as good as shooting oneself in the leg.

I have attached a map just to see. I would even have thought the like of Taraba, Benue and Adamawa would be the ones refered to as Easterners not Igbos.

Educational reasons only. . .

The major flaw in your argument (as indicated by the included map) is that the crosshairs of the geographical planes have been rigged to support your theory.
Nothing short of a real map with longitudes and latitudes complete, would solve your question. The crosshairs could have been manipulated to suit your theory.
For me, nothing less than a map, inserted into a complete Cartesian style grid box would accurately answer the question.
All I know for now is that the Nigerian map has always been ruled by two major landmark rivers in Nigeria -the Niger and Benue. Everything to the north of Benue and Niger is the North; everything to the West of the Niger is west, while everything to the East of the Niger is the East. So, your question remains unanswered.
In that case, I maintain that we (Ndigbo and others in the same region) are Easterners. cool
Re: Geographical Location. . . . . How Did The Igbos Come To Be Known As Easterners? by Nobody: 2:15am On Mar 25, 2012
Self-made Eze vs Fake Eze.

Gbagaunnn!!!

yawwwwwwn @ topix.
Re: Geographical Location. . . . . How Did The Igbos Come To Be Known As Easterners? by Onlytruth(m): 2:35am On Mar 25, 2012
^^
Awww, desperate for my attention, again. Sorry o, the sun must shine on those standing up before shinning on those sitting down.
For now, there is nobody standing up, so there you have it. When folks stand up again, you disappear again into irrelevance and backwaters. cool
Re: Geographical Location. . . . . How Did The Igbos Come To Be Known As Easterners? by Nobody: 2:37am On Mar 25, 2012
Onlytruth: ^^
Awww, desperate for my attention, again. Sorry o, the sun must shine on those standing up before shinning on those sitting down.
For now, there is nobody standing up, so there you have it. When folks stand up again, you disappear again into irrelevance and backwaters. cool

Omg, ewwww.
Re: Geographical Location. . . . . How Did The Igbos Come To Be Known As Easterners? by Nobody: 2:39am On Mar 25, 2012
Watching tweedle dee and tweedle dum argue about the map dumbest obviously can't draw correctly.
Re: Geographical Location. . . . . How Did The Igbos Come To Be Known As Easterners? by weezii(m): 2:13pm On Sep 29, 2016
Seun, Lalasticlala, Puskin, dragnet, Beremx, HungerBad

you guys should do something about this thread for more enlightenment.

Just stumbled upon this while doing a research and wont be bad if we know more on this topic.

Kindly move to fp for those with the powers to do such. Thank you

(1) (Reply)

List Of State Governors Not Willing To Pay N30,000 Minimum Wage & Their Excuse / Saharareporter completely debunk Buhari Is Jubril Claim by Nnamdi Kanu-Video / Police Speak On Thwarted Attempt To Set Enugu INEC Headquarters Ablaze

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 24
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.