Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,882 members, 7,828,134 topics. Date: Wednesday, 15 May 2024 at 02:21 AM

Suits: Why Do Nigerian Presidents Hate Wearing Them? - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Suits: Why Do Nigerian Presidents Hate Wearing Them? (11044 Views)

5 Most Popular Daughters Of Nigerian Presidents / When Two Nigerian Presidents Arrived New York... / History Of Nigerian Presidents & Their Religious Beliefs (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Suits: Why Do Nigerian Presidents Hate Wearing Them? by sugar001(f): 7:37am On Mar 29, 2012
And how is that my bussiness? The president can put on what ever he feels comfy in. And yes I particularly love Uncle Joe for always fluanting the Ijaw attire. Suit ko! Suit ni!
Re: Suits: Why Do Nigerian Presidents Hate Wearing Them? by werepeLeri: 7:41am On Mar 29, 2012
and if they wear suit - you will be the first to condemn them as copying foreign culture.
Re: Suits: Why Do Nigerian Presidents Hate Wearing Them? by Nobody: 7:42am On Mar 29, 2012
Paupers are not use to wearing suit.Ask jonathan if he ever wear one while growing up.
Re: Suits: Why Do Nigerian Presidents Hate Wearing Them? by Nobody: 7:50am On Mar 29, 2012
Maximus85:
you are the biggest fool. Why dnt u write waec and gce in ur local language? Mumu!
I beg shut up your mouth, if you can't correlate instances properly, then stand aside.
Re: Suits: Why Do Nigerian Presidents Hate Wearing Them? by Nobody: 7:53am On Mar 29, 2012
deshclones:

you are a f0000000000000l..you don't know our native clothes look more glamorous and dignified than the suit your slave masters wear??

have you ever seen a western leader wear agbada or isi-agu traditional clothes??

people like you disgust me..always clinging and copying anything the whiteman does..believe in yourself for once. angry
Dats d problem wit Nigerians; dey like 2copy evrytin.y not do ur tin ur way,live dem let dem promote our culture.
Re: Suits: Why Do Nigerian Presidents Hate Wearing Them? by Tintinix: 7:54am On Mar 29, 2012
I should think it is deliberate that some Presidents and top Government officials choose to wear their local attires, not because they cannot afford or would look ridiculous in foreign outfits, but i assume they do it out of as a sense of identification with their heritage, which most nations are lacking and looking for how to restore! and also to promote these attires to consumers, which is not a bad thing!
I read accolades given to the Princess Katherine and Samantha Cameron(on the Prime minister's visit to the white house and the return vists by the Obamas) on their fashion sense and how they are fast becoming more an ambassador of the UK clothiers!

I think our President and Government officials should go a step further to name the designers of these outfits! My fear though is that the ludacrious amount they spend to make these outfits will come to play!

Imagine the princess of England and Wales buying her outfits in Next and the very next hour the outfit is out of sale! That is where we should head towards, the common man wants to identify with success!

Cheers
Re: Suits: Why Do Nigerian Presidents Hate Wearing Them? by nasty45(m): 8:04am On Mar 29, 2012
Stupid question,it's lyk askin why would obama hate wearing agbada?MTCHEW
Re: Suits: Why Do Nigerian Presidents Hate Wearing Them? by Sike(m): 8:31am On Mar 29, 2012
Abeg, "Ijoba Alagbada" lawa mehn.
Re: Suits: Why Do Nigerian Presidents Hate Wearing Them? by jspac(m): 8:43am On Mar 29, 2012
Basics007: Why cant you people answer simple questions like decent fellows for once? Must every thread degenerate into a abuse slingfest?
@OP. Me i think this people carry a lot of charms and suits cant easily hide them. I'm not jokin about this. I know so cos i'm close to a few of them. And i dont blame cos there's no insurance like personal insurance
Another illiterate N1gger cheesy
Re: Suits: Why Do Nigerian Presidents Hate Wearing Them? by letsgothere: 8:49am On Mar 29, 2012
@OP hope you are not high on your substance.. you mad me laugh hahahahahaha
Re: Suits: Why Do Nigerian Presidents Hate Wearing Them? by Reference(m): 8:49am On Mar 29, 2012
I think as the largest African nation you can excuse our leaders for showing some distinction. The non-conformist posture may be about projecting power and influence saying something like, take us as we are, we are not wearing school boy's uniform. Unfortunately when you run through the list of other non-conformist leaders and nationals it doesn't exactly make a nice club. Cuba's Castros, the Kim's of North Korea and of course the monarchy's, theocracies and dictatorships of the Middle East to mention a few. Not a nice club.
Re: Suits: Why Do Nigerian Presidents Hate Wearing Them? by kokoA(m): 8:58am On Mar 29, 2012
I don't care what they wear. I'd rather have a good president that wears suit than and agabda wearing agbaya!
Re: Suits: Why Do Nigerian Presidents Hate Wearing Them? by Detongue: 8:59am On Mar 29, 2012
See as Asiwaju resemble 'babalawo'
Re: Suits: Why Do Nigerian Presidents Hate Wearing Them? by ignis: 9:06am On Mar 29, 2012
sugar 001: And how is that my bussiness? The president can put on what ever he feels comfy in. And yes I particularly love Uncle Joe for always fluanting the Ijaw attire. Suit ko! Suit ni!
Gbam! He has the right to put on anything he likes.
Re: Suits: Why Do Nigerian Presidents Hate Wearing Them? by here: 9:28am On Mar 29, 2012
I think not wearing is not an issue but the fact remains every principal must be fit and dress ok to make a rescue effort easy(for the bodyguard) if the situation/official engagement turns negative. Afterall in engineering irrespective of your culture you dnt want to go close to a machinery with flying cloth
Re: Suits: Why Do Nigerian Presidents Hate Wearing Them? by amec(m): 9:30am On Mar 29, 2012
as ostentatious people, you know fools,baberians who want to look like fake lords. you see obj and carter pic above. thats 2days after he told the world that nigeria will become a world power before the year 2000.
a myopic fool clad in froperies /fabrics used as window blinds in some asian countries.
he was around 30 yrs judging from his looks but because his delusional senses tells him he is an afro chief, like an attraitic patient, therefore he must carry some wooden stick in hand to US.

notice he is wiskered around his mouth area?
but rather than achieve the world power bluff, all he got was to shine his wisckered lips with some surgery(oibo witchcraft)

you carry and hide many african shame under that.
its the corrupt gab of africans. you know the way you rap the smelly loiloi in a clean nylon.

its the skewed false pride of a fool who is used to enjoying what he never suffered to build.

as as the oil finishes in the east or now they call it southeast or southsouth the agada thing will disappear with nigeria.
this is a prophesy.

you see in nigeria, we are wiser than the indians, the brassilians, the japanese, chinese, egyptians, south africans, the russians etc.

they claim they want to break from political colonial mentality but dressing like the arabs in a flowing froprey is better a religous colo mentality which will lead thieves to heaven.

when you did not attend to a university anywhere in nigeria, not mentioning your parents having the dough to put you in oxford, and somehow you managed as designed by tribal schemings or they call it luck,to see yourself in the mantle of nigerian power, you can use the agada/asian curtains to cover the rest of your shame.

as ostentatious people, you know fools,baberians who want to look like fake lords. you see obj and carter pic above. thats 2days after he told the world that nigeria will become a world power before the year 2000.
a myopic fool clad in froperies /fabrics used as window blinds in some asian countries.
he was around 30 yrs judging from his looks but because his delusional senses tells him he is an afro chief, like an attraitic patient, therefore he must carry some wooden stick in hand to US.

but rather than achieve the world power bluff, all he got was to shine his wisckered lips with some surgery(oibo witchcraft)

its the corrupt gab of africans. you know the way you rap the smelly loiloi in a clean nylon.

its the skewed false pride of a fool who is used to enjoying what he never suffered to build.

as as the oil finishes in the east or now they call it southeast or southsouth the agada thing will disappear with nigeria.
this is a prophesy.

you see in nigeria, we are wiser than the indians, the brassilians, the japanese, chinese, egyptians, south africans, the russians etc.

they claim they want to break from political colonial mentality but dressing like the arabs in a flowing froprey is better a religous colo mentality which will lead thieves to heaven.

when you did not attend to a university anywhere in nigeria, not mentioning your parents having the dough to put you in oxford, and somehow you managed as designed by tribal schemings or they call it luck,to see yourself in the mantle of nigerian power, you can use the agada/asian curtains to cover the rest of your shame.

this is a prophesy.

Re: Suits: Why Do Nigerian Presidents Hate Wearing Them? by Bastiger(m): 9:51am On Mar 29, 2012
Will their wearing suits make u feel gud?will it change anytin?will it change d fact dat more than 50% of nigerians are living below poverty level?will them wearing suits eventually give them the political will to solve the problems facing this country,i say nay.as a matter of fact they mustn't wear suits cos i feel it dosnt promote our culture.
Re: Suits: Why Do Nigerian Presidents Hate Wearing Them? by Martini101(m): 9:57am On Mar 29, 2012
Op. Just go siddon 4 gutter jor. Whatz wrong wit then wearing our local attire? Abi na so inferiority complex dey catch U? @Moderators. Why do U guys allow this kind nonsense to make d front page
Re: Suits: Why Do Nigerian Presidents Hate Wearing Them? by BaBaMike: 10:06am On Mar 29, 2012
I dont think this we really applies to nigerians who live in nigeria.

I was wearing an agbada last in Toronto and my Canadian friends thought I was more African that way! "More Nigerian,
not more African", I asserted. I'm proud to be a nigerian. and a Yoruba man also.

The appreciation for everything foreign, including the copying of Westerners in dressing, is symptomatic of a much larger problem in Nigeria.
Re: Suits: Why Do Nigerian Presidents Hate Wearing Them? by azpekuliar: 10:22am On Mar 29, 2012
Stop all these bickering and beef for the white man attire and his ways. I hate when hypocritical gays come here and start acting pan-african. Fvck it! The white man has come with his ways, sift through the whole gamut, adopt what you think you're comfortable and get the hell on with your miserable lives and stop criticising the choices others have made. I for one wouldnt be caught dead wearing ' agbadas ' a.k.a parachute, and I'm not less African for that. Even those Niger Delta Militants would be toiling day and night harvesting cassava they planted over those oil fields, if the suited white men did'nt drop fractional distillation on these shores....Damn!
Re: Suits: Why Do Nigerian Presidents Hate Wearing Them? by bakila: 10:31am On Mar 29, 2012
Acidosis: oga the same laptop/phone you used in typing this foolish post was made by your slave master. Your president is camouflaging with a masquerading attire, when you & I know that the simplest underwear he wears (singlet and boxer short) was imported from another country not to talk of his italian shoe, his wristwatch etc.

So all community meetings and discusssions and names must be foriegn. Haba have so level of distinction even if it is by cloth.
Re: Suits: Why Do Nigerian Presidents Hate Wearing Them? by bakila: 10:33am On Mar 29, 2012
Martini101: Op. Just go siddon 4 gutter jor. Whatz wrong wit then wearing our local attire? Abi na so inferiority complex dey catch U? @Moderators. Why do U guys allow this kind nonsense to make d front page

At least you have an opportunity to tell him go siddon.
Re: Suits: Why Do Nigerian Presidents Hate Wearing Them? by bakila: 10:34am On Mar 29, 2012
Martini101: Op. Just go siddon 4 gutter jor. Whatz wrong wit then wearing our local attire? Abi na so inferiority complex dey catch U? @Moderators. Why do U guys allow this kind nonsense to make d front page

At least you have an opportunity to tell him go siddon or calling him whatever you want.
Re: Suits: Why Do Nigerian Presidents Hate Wearing Them? by bakila: 10:37am On Mar 29, 2012
Tintinix: I should think it is deliberate that some Presidents and top Government officials choose to wear their local attires, not because they cannot afford or would look ridiculous in foreign outfits, but i assume they do it out of as a sense of identification with their heritage, which most nations are lacking and looking for how to restore! and also to promote these attires to consumers, which is not a bad thing!
I read accolades given to the Princess Katherine and Samantha Cameron(on the Prime minister's visit to the white house and the return vists by the Obamas) on their fashion sense and how they are fast becoming more an ambassador of the UK clothiers!

I think our President and Government officials should go a step further to name the designers of these outfits! My fear though is that the ludacrious amount they spend to make these outfits will come to play!

Imagine the princess of England and Wales buying her outfits in Next and the very next hour the outfit is out of sale! That is where we should head towards, the common man wants to identify with success!

Cheers

Gbam.
Re: Suits: Why Do Nigerian Presidents Hate Wearing Them? by Nobody: 10:41am On Mar 29, 2012
If they wear suit, una go still complain. Na wa oh. They wear native wear because they are proud of their place of origin. You should be happy dat they are setting examples for us 2 follow thru their dress sense. Ever seen an American in agbada or caftan? Mcheeeew.
Re: Suits: Why Do Nigerian Presidents Hate Wearing Them? by prettyboi1(m): 10:55am On Mar 29, 2012
I'm not against everything western,I'm just sooo against the fact that we are the ones who always copy them down to even the most stupid things. I believe life is an experience & so people should be able to learn & pick things up from each other. For me therefore,just like I've learnt & picked a couple of things from these westerners, I also proudly sell my own culture & its heritage to them in ways that I can so that it's 50/50. I learn & they learn not that I just keep copying them like one slave everytime. I speak pidgin to them occasionally,teach them some of our slangs,I write some articles & songs in pidgin & some of our own languages,I proudly flaunt our music any day etc...anyways the fact that our leaders mostly wear traditionals is one thing that I looooooooove & I'm so proud of it. It's the only thing I think most of them do good. (although they have the right to wear whatever they wish but I love that they wear our native clothing.) I think in the whole of Africa,only Nigerian leaders & the late Muammar Gaddafi (r.i.p.) wear native clothings. I loooooove it. It's cool.
Re: Suits: Why Do Nigerian Presidents Hate Wearing Them? by jamil2(m): 10:59am On Mar 29, 2012
They are practising true Africanism!
Re: Suits: Why Do Nigerian Presidents Hate Wearing Them? by fili24: 11:07am On Mar 29, 2012
Suit is a formal wear, and it is from the western culture, it was brought by our colonial masters.
@ poster, we've to be proud of our culture and traditions.

It is sad that some Nigerians have English names
have you ever seen a white man with our native name?

I purposely removed my English name given to me by my parents
because my white friends like my native name more.. and I vowed
never to give my children an English name.
Re: Suits: Why Do Nigerian Presidents Hate Wearing Them? by chucky234(m): 11:21am On Mar 29, 2012
I dont know why so many guys are too backward, you talk about suit and they talk about culture forgetting that the fabrics used in making those agbada and trousers were imported. You call those shirts and trousers GEJ wears everyday native attire,when did trousers and shirts become native attire. What about the expensive wrist watches,shoes,chairs,rugs,curtins,beds and all the canned foods they import everyday they are also culture. Suit is for formal engagements and has nothing to do with culture,our leaders cannot wear suits because of their pot bellies or how do you expect Aliu babaginda and GEJ to look in a suit. Fashola and uduaghan used to wear suits before their bellies exploded after looting billions

1 Like

Re: Suits: Why Do Nigerian Presidents Hate Wearing Them? by Koolking(m): 11:28am On Mar 29, 2012
This should not be a subject of discuss, mud-slinging and name callings. People wear what they feel would make them comfortable. If wearing our native clothes give unbridled sensation to our culture, i see no reason why the number one citizen(s) should not do just that. Even as I hardly wear our native attires, to me it is a pride to behold
Re: Suits: Why Do Nigerian Presidents Hate Wearing Them? by Buzman: 11:29am On Mar 29, 2012
Ogbonis don't wear suits.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Burial Photos Of Lawal Kaita, Former Kaduna Governor / President Buhari Has Failed Integrity Test. - PDP / Ahmed Lawan: Debt Burden Heavy On Nigerians But Necessary

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 57
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.