Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,848 members, 7,813,870 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 April 2024 at 08:17 PM

Erastus Akingbola: Fmr Intercontinental Bank MD Freed Over ₦47.1B Fraud - Business (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / Erastus Akingbola: Fmr Intercontinental Bank MD Freed Over ₦47.1B Fraud (7224 Views)

Intercontinental Bank And Access Bank Merge? / Uk High Court Orders, Erastus Akingbola, To Surrender £68 Million To Ib Plc / Extortion By Intercontinental Bank PLC (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Erastus Akingbola: Fmr Intercontinental Bank MD Freed Over ₦47.1B Fraud by OperaMini1(m): 2:08pm On Apr 03, 2012
fork adict: Who can tell for sure if this judge and his judgement have not been bought?

But let me give him (the judge)the benefit of the doubt. Can anyone please tell me what the fork is wrong with EFCC and the olodo, idio.tic SANs they keep engaging to prosecute money luandering suspects time and again without being able to secure a convincing and well deserved conviction? Since EFCC's inception, i can't recollect any money laundering case that was prosecuted and closed satisfactorily. What kind of country is this? Reading all these news get me depressed and make me conclude that things can never be well again in naija. Can anyone please allay my fears? For how long will we as a nation continue to start corruption in the face and refuse to act? For how long are we going to continue to hope that our situation can be better in naija without doing anything about the prevailing level of corruption?

Eleyi su mi o.

Which corruption case had this EFCC successfully prosecuted? Is it that the lawyers they hire are carpenters' or that the Comm goes to court based on hearsay? Are there lawyers in the house, please help us out here.
Re: Erastus Akingbola: Fmr Intercontinental Bank MD Freed Over ₦47.1B Fraud by Demdem(m): 2:14pm On Apr 03, 2012
juman: The minister of justice is not competent. The government need to replace him.

The minister is a waste of time and resources of the nation.

The whole government is incompetent.
Re: Erastus Akingbola: Fmr Intercontinental Bank MD Freed Over ₦47.1B Fraud by JaaizTech: 2:15pm On Apr 03, 2012
Opera Mini:

Which corruption case had this EFCC successfully prosecuted? Is it that the lawyers they hire are carpenters' or that the Comm goes to court based on hearsay? Are there lawyers in the house, please help us out here.

My brothers, don't waste your time cracking your head, the same Erastus Akingbola that was ordered to return illegally acquired 75 million pounds by the UK judiciary is suddenly innocent because EFCC lawyers are incompetent!. Only a naive person won't recognise this script; the guy bribed his way through, and the EFCC and her lawyers compromised by deliberately acting in an incompetent manner; and also the judge was quick to explore that window. One day One day the Chicken will come home to roost
Re: Erastus Akingbola: Fmr Intercontinental Bank MD Freed Over ₦47.1B Fraud by Yeske2(m): 2:26pm On Apr 03, 2012
Naija is fvvcked up big time.
Re: Erastus Akingbola: Fmr Intercontinental Bank MD Freed Over ₦47.1B Fraud by juman(m): 3:34pm On Apr 03, 2012
obayaya:

Political victimization? I doubt!!!! But how did all of sudden 5 SAN 4got court procedures!!! There's something fishy about that judgement!!!

Who was in charge of hiring 5 incompetent SAN??.??
Re: Erastus Akingbola: Fmr Intercontinental Bank MD Freed Over ₦47.1B Fraud by walcolm(m): 4:06pm On Apr 03, 2012
PHIPEX: I pity Sanusi, this man will come for his pound of flesh. But it's sad to lose ur investment due to d policies of a political appointtee.

nah...there's no pound of flesh he's coming for. his case will still be prosecuted. the lawyers who handled it before now did a shoddy job and have been shown up by the court. EFCC still has the prerogative of restarting the process
Re: Erastus Akingbola: Fmr Intercontinental Bank MD Freed Over ₦47.1B Fraud by cooldudeng(m): 4:43pm On Apr 03, 2012
Good day my fellow country people,

There's a popular saying that says "two heads are better than one", so I for one don’t believe five (5) SANs can all be wrong. I strongly believe there's more to this; taking a look at previous antecedents didn’t Ibori "jump" the LAW?
Re: Erastus Akingbola: Fmr Intercontinental Bank MD Freed Over ₦47.1B Fraud by opribo(m): 4:45pm On Apr 03, 2012
......but SLS recommended that all the MD's of rescued banks be shot so if they have shot an innocent man what would have been the case today. Na wa for our Naija o
Re: Erastus Akingbola: Fmr Intercontinental Bank MD Freed Over ₦47.1B Fraud by juman(m): 6:05pm On Apr 03, 2012
That's how the case like that not far ago was thrown out because of similar reason. Why government purseing nothing?

If government know that they don't want to fight against corruption they should just leave corruption to grow instead of knowingly going to court with nothing.
Re: Erastus Akingbola: Fmr Intercontinental Bank MD Freed Over ₦47.1B Fraud by 2fine2fast(m): 7:31pm On Apr 03, 2012
Nobody shd say Akingbola is nt guilty but every bank CEO in NIG is guity of corrupt practices as well. They al live larger than life & have scores of skeletons in their cupboard,both onshore & offshore. its just a case of SELECTIVE JUSTICE beta put SELECTIVE VICTIMIZATION expediently done by Sanusi & his northern elements. Goodluck Erastus, God save Nig.
Re: Erastus Akingbola: Fmr Intercontinental Bank MD Freed Over ₦47.1B Fraud by fm7070: 9:00pm On Apr 03, 2012
Who are the incompetent SANs?
Let's know them.
Are they really incompetent or GMG bags has exchanged hand?
Re: Erastus Akingbola: Fmr Intercontinental Bank MD Freed Over ₦47.1B Fraud by thehomer: 9:31pm On Apr 03, 2012
Charges dismissed on account of incompetence of SANs? My goodness what is an SAN worth nowadays? Were they always this incompetent or was it due to some money exchanging hands? I wonder if there is a way of reviewing whether or not someone merits the title.
Re: Erastus Akingbola: Fmr Intercontinental Bank MD Freed Over ₦47.1B Fraud by Sagamite(m): 9:49pm On Apr 03, 2012
Here are the names of the fucktards calling themselves SANs:

- Godwin Obla
- Emmanuel Ukala
- Konyinsola Ajayi
- Edward Okpe
- Ayodeji Arowolo

These fooools should never get a government engagement again.
Re: Erastus Akingbola: Fmr Intercontinental Bank MD Freed Over ₦47.1B Fraud by nobleness: 11:41pm On Apr 03, 2012
nawao.
so Nigeria is now so corrupt that SAN's would collect bribe and agreed that there names and family's names be greatly/public disgraced.
i dont think so.
i believe some of us still reason in that way to support the impression that Almighty Sanusi has created in us that Akingbola and co are thieves that "need to be tied and shot"
why cant we wait and follow the trend as things unfold.
why did u think CBN was asking for adjournment/delay at the beginning of the case.
... as many would say at the beginning of the case, 'we are watching'
Re: Erastus Akingbola: Fmr Intercontinental Bank MD Freed Over ₦47.1B Fraud by nobleness: 1:20am On Apr 04, 2012
nawao.
so Nigeria is now so corrupt that SAN's would collect bribe and agreed that there names and family's names be greatly/public disgraced.
i dont think so.
i believe some of us still reason in that way to support the impression that Almighty Sanusi has created in us that Akingbola and co are thieves that "need to be tied and shot"
why cant we wait and follow the trend as things unfold.
why did u think CBN was asking for adjournment/delay at the beginning of the case.
... as many would say at the beginning of the case, 'we are watching'
Re: Erastus Akingbola: Fmr Intercontinental Bank MD Freed Over ₦47.1B Fraud by Johnny(m): 7:49am On Apr 04, 2012
The question is:DID AKINGBOLA STEAL A DIME FROM INTERCONTINENTAL BANK?The answer,obviously is YES!Why was he not prosecuted for that stolen dime?This judgement,to me,is height of evil...
Re: Erastus Akingbola: Fmr Intercontinental Bank MD Freed Over ₦47.1B Fraud by thehomer: 12:21pm On Apr 04, 2012
Johnny: The question is:DID AKINGBOLA STEAL A DIME FROM INTERCONTINENTAL BANK?The answer,obviously is YES!Why was he not prosecuted for that stolen dime?This judgement,to me,is height of evil...

I'm not so sure that the judgement was necessarily evil. For the judge to say that these people were incompetent, maybe the public records can be reviewed and criticized by other lawyers for us to know just how incompetent these guys were.
Re: Erastus Akingbola: Fmr Intercontinental Bank MD Freed Over ₦47.1B Fraud by charlesbuu(m): 7:29pm On Apr 04, 2012
The judge here is clearly disappointed with the prosecution team because they have not been able to prosecute this case rather all they do is continually seek for adjournments. This happens when lawyers take up briefs because they need the pay to take care of their bills and pay their staff rather than because they believe they have strong evidence to successfully prosecute.What happens then is the lawyers get to court and if they meet a strong defense team, they chicken out and instead of dropping the case, they continue to ask for adjournments.

Any prosecuting lawyer who has a valid case will always approach a judge with facts of his case from day one, usually it is the defense team that seek adjournments in order to buy time for defendant. Looking at this case logically, since the prosecutors are the ones seeking for endless adjournments, it means the case cannot be prosecuted for want of substance and evidence to prosecute. The prosecutors should have entered a noille prosequi, but i guess this is not what their employers want to hear. So this is naija where they can keep seeking for endless adjournments and collecting money for endless investigations thereby wasting everybody's time. The last time i checked i was told it costs close to 20 million naira to Brief a SAN. Point of lesson for us all here is that trials are not meant for the expression of emotions and beliefs about someone but for presentation of undisputable evidence against that person to seek conviction. These SAN's clearly don't have any.
Re: Erastus Akingbola: Fmr Intercontinental Bank MD Freed Over ₦47.1B Fraud by bluejeff(m): 8:02pm On Apr 04, 2012
I cant believe this, after all the noise...
Re: Erastus Akingbola: Fmr Intercontinental Bank MD Freed Over ₦47.1B Fraud by thehomer: 8:08pm On Apr 04, 2012
Out of curiosity, is it possible for these SANs to in turn be sued for breach of contract of something? The money paid to them shouldn't be in vain.
Re: Erastus Akingbola: Fmr Intercontinental Bank MD Freed Over ₦47.1B Fraud by charlesbuu(m): 8:23pm On Apr 04, 2012
I don't think you can sue your lawyer for contractual negligence in this instance. The rules of engagement allows you to sue for contractual negligence when you believe there is deliberate negligence in the handling of your case. You cannot sue for breach of contract when u are unable to tender indisputable evidence for your lawyer to take to court. In this case the burden of proof of guilt is on the plaintiff which i guess is CBN through the EFCC. What you give your lawyer is what your lawyer takes to court. You cannot sue your lawyer if he fails to find evidence to prosecute your case. In this case i blame the lawyers for engaging in endless adjournment games to justify their pay rather than advising their client otherwise. Professional ethics does not allow for wasting the court's times and i guess this is the reason the judge refered the lawyers to the bar association to investigate ethical misconduct against them.
Re: Erastus Akingbola: Fmr Intercontinental Bank MD Freed Over ₦47.1B Fraud by nobleness: 4:44am On Apr 06, 2012
A lot of sense in some of the last posts.
Im proud to be a nairalander.
Re: Erastus Akingbola: Fmr Intercontinental Bank MD Freed Over ₦47.1B Fraud by nobleness: 4:47am On Apr 06, 2012
Johnny: The question is:DID AKINGBOLA STEAL A DIME FROM INTERCONTINENTAL BANK?The answer,obviously is YES!Why was he not prosecuted for that stolen dime?This judgement,to me,is height of evil...

Another question is : Did all the MDs of naija banks 'steal' a Dime from their individual banks? the answer is YES! why selective persecution?
Gbogbo wa pata ni Mallam eni ti ile bakamon ni barao.
Re: Erastus Akingbola: Fmr Intercontinental Bank MD Freed Over ₦47.1B Fraud by thehomer: 11:37pm On Apr 06, 2012
charlesbuu: I don't think you can sue your lawyer for contractual negligence in this instance. The rules of engagement allows you to sue for contractual negligence when you believe there is deliberate negligence in the handling of your case. You cannot sue for breach of contract when u are unable to tender indisputable evidence for your lawyer to take to court. In this case the burden of proof of guilt is on the plaintiff which i guess is CBN through the EFCC. What you give your lawyer is what your lawyer takes to court. You cannot sue your lawyer if he fails to find evidence to prosecute your case. In this case i blame the lawyers for engaging in endless adjournment games to justify their pay rather than advising their client otherwise. Professional ethics does not allow for wasting the court's times and i guess this is the reason the judge refered the lawyers to the bar association to investigate ethical misconduct against them.

Okay thanks. So what can happen is an investigation of ethical misconduct. I hope this too will be publicized if it happens.

(1) (2) (Reply)

The Most Trending Form Of Nig Printing Machine DI !!! / Export Products From Nigeria To Turkey & Import Products From Turkey To Nigeria / How To Start A Mini Satchet / Pure Water Business

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 41
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.