Stats: 3,153,141 members, 7,818,432 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 03:32 PM

Any Hope With 3.49 CGPA? - Career - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / Any Hope With 3.49 CGPA? (23106 Views)

Any Hope For A Database Administrator In Nigeria / Any Hope For Oracle Professionals In Nigeria? / Any Hope For Those "Unfortunate" To Have Finished With 3rd Class? (2) (3) (4)

Any Hope With 3.49 CGPA? by Okoya(f): 3:15pm On Apr 05, 2012
wat re d chances of those who graduated with cgpa 3.49?
Re: Any Hope With 3.49 CGPA? by yamakuza: 5:55pm On Apr 05, 2012
What are your plans for the future?
Re: Any Hope With 3.49 CGPA? by Okoya(f): 8:57pm On Apr 05, 2012
Maybe I should jst go for masters immediately because seeing my academic profiles makes me sick
Re: Any Hope With 3.49 CGPA? by yamakuza: 9:01pm On Apr 05, 2012
Okoya: Maybe I should jst go for masters immediately because seeing my academic profiles makes me sick

Good idea. At home or abroad?

Keep applying for jobs too.

What course, btw?

Re: Any Hope With 3.49 CGPA? by Okoya(f): 9:09pm On Apr 05, 2012
I've not yet made up my mind..... I'm still trying to come over the disappointment

Re: Any Hope With 3.49 CGPA? by yamakuza: 9:57pm On Apr 05, 2012
What course did you study? What school?
Re: Any Hope With 3.49 CGPA? by tanimola22: 10:02pm On Apr 05, 2012
Okoya: I've not yet made up my mind..... I'm still trying to come over the disappointment

@OP
This happened to someone I knew back in the days. Very annoying and depressing.

I would especially stress the 3.49 CGPA on my CV because, although the degree class does not change, a 2.2 of 3.49 is clearly different from a 2.2 of 2.59.

OP, on your job CV, write:

BSc(Hons) Geophysics/whatever you studied
Grade: 3.49/5.00. Let them go figure the class of degree themselves. If you just write 2.2, you will be lumped together with those with 2.52 kind of 2.2.

Many people with boundary 2:1 never include their CGPAs on their CVs. Similarly, many people with boundary 1:1 never include their CGPAs on their CVs. In my view, the people that proudly include their CGPAs on their CVs are those that have well above the minimum required to attain a particular degree class. OP, you fall in the latter category.

All the best mate!

T22.

Re: Any Hope With 3.49 CGPA? by nitrogen(m): 3:52pm On May 17, 2012
Okoya: All my efforts ended with a CGPA 3.49..... what's
my fate in the market? Maybe I should just get a
transcript. This Is so painful. Please I need words
of encouragement.
Quite unfortunate, i have a friend that graduated with 3.49, same as yours.
Why don't schools or even departments round up these figures (you know what i mean)?
Anyway, the best is to indicate it on your resume that you had a 'superior 2.2' as earlier stressed by T22 and maybe you are good to go.
Re: Any Hope With 3.49 CGPA? by darqly(m): 8:54pm On May 18, 2012
Sorry you feel bad about not meeting your target cgpa-wise . Whatever you do, don't go plastering it on your CV that you have a 3.49 instead of a 2.2 as this is the fastest way to get your CV chucked in the garbage . You will distinguish yourself clearly during tests and interviews . Cheer up.

Re: Any Hope With 3.49 CGPA? by Ruthabokoku: 9:42pm On May 18, 2012
I think it is wickedness on the part of academics to award anyone a CGPA of 3.49.
Poster I wish you all the best in your future endeavours.
If you can afford to pursue your masters degree abroad, it would be great because you have good potentials.
Re: Any Hope With 3.49 CGPA? by honour6(m): 11:12pm On May 18, 2012
Mine too was a 3.49 gpa, it was so annoying but God dey.
Re: Any Hope With 3.49 CGPA? by tanimola22: 12:27am On May 19, 2012
honour6: Mine too was a 3.49 gpa, it was so annoying but God dey.

Hi,

How has it been? Would you mind sharing the challenges/triumphs you have recorded so far? How many interviews have you attended? How did your interviewers take you? Did you signify the GPA on your CV? Has it been an advantage/disadvantage to you? What advice do you have for people with the same 3.4999 GPA?

I understand that you may not have strong answers to these questions if you just graduated and have not gone for NYSC. Any way it is, let us know.

T22.

Re: Any Hope With 3.49 CGPA? by Nobody: 5:16am On May 19, 2012
sorry but u are a monkey!!!! who told u that CGPA gets jobs in nigeria anymore? be grateful and start searching because u go siddon for house tire if u are hoping only on your CGPA

Re: Any Hope With 3.49 CGPA? by Nobody: 5:16am On May 19, 2012
what has your CGPA got to do with success in Nigeria, Nothing!!! Except you have the employment seeking mentality as every fresh graduate does until the hard truth dawns on them. Keep the idea of Masters far from you and enroll any high grade IT school and get practical knowledge, after 1YR foreign University is a guarantee through the IT schools in Lagos for a 1 yr course then get IT based company running, if u still need masters, its 10 months, which i doubt, and your future is Zap.in.g made.

Re: Any Hope With 3.49 CGPA? by 100gigabytes: 5:29am On May 19, 2012
3.49. 0r 4.99. it doesn't matter, you want to be the lowest of 2.1 or the highest of 2.2, you know where you belong bro, work harder, its a challenge for you and know that every little counts onwards ,if i see 3.49 on your CV before me i will fling it away, let me know what you of from what you do professionally and not by presenting some freaking integers before me. i have seen third class honors doing marvelously well and rising upto MD of am organization , so what the hell. my friend you are 2.2 , so what next , work harder, there is no 2nd Class Lower ( upper) degree. Accept your faith and move one bro.whining won't change anything.

Re: Any Hope With 3.49 CGPA? by conyema12(m): 6:02am On May 19, 2012
I had a similar experience in Nija back then, graduating with 3.48, I must tell u i was heart broken. No thanks to those our lousy lecturers....but to me it was a blessing in disguise cos it made me to truly discover my potentials. After NYSC, i quickly enrolled for my Msc in Pet. Geology in Naija..not even UK *cos I dont have the finace* after which I got an opportunity to do a 12month post grad. Internship with one of our multinationals..i worked a few months after my internship with them before getting an offer with an Oil and gas firm in UAE as an expatriat...even there other job offers keep coming up... So buddy i was blessing cos if i have had a 2:1 may i will be in one bank now
did i fail to mention that I was the best graduating PG student with a CGPA of 4.75/5.0

Re: Any Hope With 3.49 CGPA? by 4wardever(m): 6:07am On May 19, 2012
lestat: sorry but u are a monkey!!!! who told u that CGPA gets jobs in nigeria anymore? be grateful and start searching because u go siddon for house tire if u are hoping only on your CGPA

Was that necessary of you? Do you have to destroy the dignity of another person in the process of showing how "mistaken" they are? Are you so hungry for attention that you did not see how the others passed across their comments? Na wetin just dey vex me for NL be that! angry angry

Anyway, @ poster, that grade should not determine your future! It is what you do with it that counts ultimately. I have a feeling that you are an engineering student. And these days, given our educational system, ppl no longer judge you based on that. All you should be praying and working towards now is an opportunity for you to be showcased. Your own dreams/plans for the future is what matters most & not what anybody will console you with. If you want to go the path of paid employment (which is getting slimmer by the day no matter what you have read or been labelled from school), I would suggest that you do some professional courses & your Masters. Then keep applying and hoping that you can first apply for a job where you do not have to be screened out due to the grade. grin grin

But if that is not the case, go and thank your sponsors for giving you a HOPE and then go pursue your dreams! I say it again, it is your dreams/plans that matters most. cool cool

Re: Any Hope With 3.49 CGPA? by Claracuzio: 6:11am On May 19, 2012

Re: Any Hope With 3.49 CGPA? by 4wardever(m): 6:20am On May 19, 2012
Claracuzio: You are quite a mugu, no wonder u graduated with 3.49. Dem tell u say pple with 2.1 sef get job?
U better go and think of what to do with ur self.

See what I mean
Mtscheww... Frustrations in the land. SMH undecided undecided
Re: Any Hope With 3.49 CGPA? by innovestor(m): 6:24am On May 19, 2012
of encouragement.

Kai! Nearly! But nearly cannot kill a bird. wink
Re: Any Hope With 3.49 CGPA? by Kockane(m): 6:25am On May 19, 2012
And who says a 2.1 would have secured for you a bright future? These days, class of degrees is even irrelevant wen job hunting cuz most serious employers would still have you write aptitude tests, which is a beta guage of one's intellectual abilities than a "kpali" they don't know ow you managed to sttain wateva grades you have on it. I came out with a 2.2, a pretty mediocre one @ dat, but dat was largely due to my unseriousness in school. Fast forward 2 years, and I can boldly say I'm doing better than 90% of those that had a higher grade than I did. Its all a mata of knowin urself and maximizing ur potentials bro... Cheers!

Re: Any Hope With 3.49 CGPA? by emma26(m): 6:27am On May 19, 2012
Claracuzio You are quite a mugu, no wonder u graduated with 3.49. Dem tell u say pple with 2.1 sef get job?
Claracuzio u re a big fool, stupid gay, d guy ws only seeking advice on how to progress further in life, and u tuk d opportunity to open ur rousty mouth to say sh*t...grow up boi
Re: Any Hope With 3.49 CGPA? by Nobody: 6:39am On May 19, 2012
Na so

Re: Any Hope With 3.49 CGPA? by Jarus(m): 6:56am On May 19, 2012
The missed 0.01 could surely have made a difference( at least it gets you shortlisted where the requirement is 2.1) , but that is surely not the end. If you made 3.49, you probably are as good as someone that made of 2.1 of 3.6, maybe a few errors made the difference, but your mental ability is not lower. So you should not have problem proving yourself where 2.2 get chance to compete with higher classes. Classes of degree matter most in shortlisting for employment test/interview. Beyond that, your ability matters more and once you're shortlisted, everybody is on the same plane to prove himself or herself. In fact, if you know your onions, you're at an advantage as the expectation will be low and you will be able to pull surprise to your interviewers. The expectations are usually higher for First Class and even 2.1 and you have to do on top of your game to impress the job selectors/interviewers.

Re: Any Hope With 3.49 CGPA? by bsteadfast: 7:00am On May 19, 2012
You are 100% responsible for your 3.49 cgpa. Natheless, 2.1 or 1 class may be an edge in the so called Nigeria labour market but your onus is to show that you are better than them, if and only if you can see beyond your 3.49 CGPA.
Re: Any Hope With 3.49 CGPA? by redcliff: 7:00am On May 19, 2012
conyema12: I had a similar experience in Nija back then, graduating with 3.48, I must tell u i was heart broken. No thanks to those our lousy lecturers....but to me it was a blessing in disguise cos it made me to truly discover my potentials. After NYSC, i quickly enrolled for my Msc in Pet. Geology in Naija..not even UK *cos I dont have the finace* after which I got an opportunity to do a 12month post grad. Internship with one of our multinationals..i worked a few months after my internship with them before getting an offer with an Oil and gas firm in UAE as an expatriat...even there other job offers keep coming up... So buddy i was blessing cos if i have had a 2:1 may i will be in one bank now
did i fail to mention that I was the best graduating PG student with a CGPA of 4.75/5.0

Maybe u should look at ur post very well and see how u r just contradicting urself. Except I'm not reading well.
Re: Any Hope With 3.49 CGPA? by redcliff: 7:09am On May 19, 2012
of encouragement.

I.
Re: Any Hope With 3.49 CGPA? by Basic(m): 7:09am On May 19, 2012
Claracuzio: You are quite a mugu, no wonder u graduated with 3.49. Dem tell u say pple with 2.1 sef get job?
Who's this dumb, thoughtless fellow? The poster's seeking advice from sensible people; and since you know you do not fall in that category, all you can do is insult him? Here you are abusing someone over his CGPA. Did you even study at a University/tertiary institution yourself? I'm sorry, from your sense of judgement, an average person will conclude with a big 'NO'. Nonsense!

Re: Any Hope With 3.49 CGPA? by Basic(m): 7:13am On May 19, 2012
redcliff:

Maybe u should look at ur post very well and see how u r just contradicting urself. Except I'm not reading well.
Oga, there are no contradictions, unless you need an interpreter to help you out. Or better, trying reading through again, probably you were not fully awake the first time.

Re: Any Hope With 3.49 CGPA? by Nobody: 7:16am On May 19, 2012
Maybe you should open your eyes wide and learn or get a spectacle. He said he had a 3.48 gpa during undergrad and 4.75 during msc. What's so freaking confusing about that ehn?
redcliff:

Re: Any Hope With 3.49 CGPA? by DarthCa1: 7:18am On May 19, 2012
[img]http://www.50centloseweight.com[/img]Your advantage, expectations will be low, you will be able to pull the interviewer in the surprise. Expectations are usually the first class, even higher 2.1 and you have your games do employment options/interviewer leave deep impression.

How Old Were You When Your Life Started and How Did It Start? / I Failed Job Pre Medical Tests / What Career Jobs Can One Get As A Science Laboratory Tech Graduate (SSLT & ISLT)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 56