Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,140,624 members, 7,770,664 topics. Date: Tuesday, 19 March 2024 at 12:43 PM

Any Hope For Oracle Professionals In Nigeria? - Career - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / Any Hope For Oracle Professionals In Nigeria? (25511 Views)

Any Hope For A Database Administrator In Nigeria / Any HSE Professionals In The House? / Any Hope For Those "Unfortunate" To Have Finished With 3rd Class? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Any Hope For Oracle Professionals In Nigeria? by Bams95: 9:27am On Sep 26, 2012
Please people,
what hope do oracle DBAs have in getting jobs in Nigeria?
Is there any prospect in being an oracle DBA?
Are companies in Nigeria really using Oracle at the moment?
and what hope for the inexperienced oracle professionals in Nigeria, because it seems the
very few jobs that are available are for oracle DBAs with years of experience.

please i need your contributions.
Re: Any Hope For Oracle Professionals In Nigeria? by Afam4eva(m): 9:49am On Sep 26, 2012
There are only a few companies that use Oracle in Nigeria and they're mostly multi-nationals. The only bank i know that uses Oracle is Zenith. There jusr aren't jobs for Oracle Database Administrators(DBA).
Re: Any Hope For Oracle Professionals In Nigeria? by Bams95: 11:15am On Sep 26, 2012
afam4eva: There are only a few companies that use Oracle in Nigeria and they're mostly multi-nationals. The only bank i know that uses Oracle is Zenith. There jusr aren't jobs for Oracle Database Administrators(DBA).
thanks for your contribution,pls are you an ICT professional,and if yes,which area of expertise?
Re: Any Hope For Oracle Professionals In Nigeria? by Afam4eva(m): 11:21am On Sep 26, 2012
Bams95: thanks for your contribution,pls are you an ICT professional,and if yes,which area of expertise?
I'm into Websites, programming, Database(Oracle etc) and many more...

1 Like

Re: Any Hope For Oracle Professionals In Nigeria? by Geomac: 12:07pm On Sep 26, 2012
I am an Oracle Certified Professional(2007),i must tell you that the job is not just there. If you have time and the resources go and learn MSSQLSERVER it is better than Oracle database in Nigeria.
Re: Any Hope For Oracle Professionals In Nigeria? by Bams95: 1:43pm On Sep 26, 2012
Geomac: I am an Oracle Certified Professional(2007),i must tell you that the job is not just there. If you have time and the resources go and learn MSSQLSERVER it is better than Oracle database in Nigeria.
i am also an Oracle certified professional(OCP) but no job yet.is it possible to do self sudy on MSSQLSERVER?
Re: Any Hope For Oracle Professionals In Nigeria? by bolof2000(m): 2:21pm On Sep 26, 2012
Being an Oracle DBA is beyond having Few certifications in Oracle.Yes,there are companies that are using Oracle,enough on ground,and i believe,if u can administer Oracle DB,u should be able to work around and DB software.My company implements quite few projects for some companies in Nigeria and mostly Oracle DB has been used.
.I will advise you get the Job before relocating just in case u are relocating to Nigeria.
Re: Any Hope For Oracle Professionals In Nigeria? by Geomac: 2:24pm On Sep 26, 2012
Bams95: i am also an Oracle certified professional(OCP) but no job yet.is it possible to do self sudy on MSSQLSERVER?
Yes, you can
Re: Any Hope For Oracle Professionals In Nigeria? by Bams95: 3:08pm On Sep 26, 2012
Geomac:
Yes, you can
ok thanks
Re: Any Hope For Oracle Professionals In Nigeria? by Bams95: 3:54pm On Sep 26, 2012
bolof2000: Being an Oracle DBA is beyond having Few certifications in Oracle.Yes,there are companies that are using Oracle,enough on ground,and i believe,if u can administer Oracle DB,u should be able to work around and DB software.My company implements quite few projects for some companies in Nigeria and mostly Oracle DB has been used.
.I will advise you get the Job before relocating just in case u are relocating to Nigeria.
thanks for ur reply.am in Nigeria,infact in Lagos.its not only the fact that i have OCP CERTIFICATE,i can use the oracle database effectively.i can use the various tools such as PL/SQL,SQL,RMAN.I can do various database administration tasks.but the problem is its just difficult to get an Oracle job.i would love to work as an oracle person but most companies prefer to employ people that have worked in an oracle environment before.I am even ready to work FREE(without salary) just to get the experience.

2 Likes

Re: Any Hope For Oracle Professionals In Nigeria? by Bams95: 10:20am On Sep 27, 2012
where are the Oracle experts?
Re: Any Hope For Oracle Professionals In Nigeria? by Afam4eva(m): 10:24am On Sep 27, 2012
^^ Where were you based before you moved to Nigeria?
Re: Any Hope For Oracle Professionals In Nigeria? by free2ryhme: 10:29am On Sep 27, 2012
yeah there is enuff hope. you can go to Ijebu-Igbo and start your own shrines grin grin

6 Likes

Re: Any Hope For Oracle Professionals In Nigeria? by Bams95: 10:38am On Sep 27, 2012
afam4eva: ^^ Where were you based before you moved to Nigeria?
i have been in Nigeria all my life.
Re: Any Hope For Oracle Professionals In Nigeria? by Afam4eva(m): 10:45am On Sep 27, 2012
Bams95: i have been in Nigeria all my life.
Ohh ok...if you need an Oracle job that badly then i dare you to walk into any company that uses Oracle and tell them you want to work for them for free, at least for some time in order to garner some experience. It will also help your CV. Do it and thank me later.

3 Likes

Re: Any Hope For Oracle Professionals In Nigeria? by AjanleKoko: 11:27am On Sep 27, 2012
@OP,
You just have to keep looking and applying.
If you have invested in training and certification, try to start with a job as an instructor, just to get some work experience. Lots of training schools are out there.

2 Likes

Re: Any Hope For Oracle Professionals In Nigeria? by Geomac: 12:09pm On Sep 27, 2012
AjanleKoko: @OP,
You just have to keep looking and applying.
If you have invested in training and certification, try to start with a job as an instructor, just to get some work experience. Lots of training schools are out there.
You are right, i started at APTECH Maryland Lagos before moving to my present job.
Re: Any Hope For Oracle Professionals In Nigeria? by stepo707: 12:46pm On Sep 27, 2012
free2ryhme: yeah there is enuff hope. you can go to Ijebu-Igbo and start your own shrines grin grin

grin grin grin
Re: Any Hope For Oracle Professionals In Nigeria? by ektbear: 12:48pm On Sep 27, 2012
I am a bit surprised that MSSQL seems to be more relevant than Oracle in Nigeria.

The opposite is true in most other places, no? Oracle is the top dog in most markets.
Re: Any Hope For Oracle Professionals In Nigeria? by Bams95: 12:50pm On Sep 27, 2012
afam4eva:
Ohh ok...if you need an Oracle job that badly then i dare you to walk into any company that uses Oracle and tell them you want to work for them for free, at least for some time in order to garner some experience. It will also help your CV. Do it and thank me later.
thanks,i will give it a try.just dont know some of these companies that use oracle.seriously speaking,i am ready to work for free.
Re: Any Hope For Oracle Professionals In Nigeria? by Afam4eva(m): 12:51pm On Sep 27, 2012
ekt_bear: I am a bit surprised that MSSQL seems to be more relevant than Oracle in Nigeria.

The opposite is true in most other places, no? Oracle is the top dog in most markets.
MSSQL is not more relevant rather it's more used because not everyone can afford Oracle and it's workforce, so they usually stick to something more easy. It's the same reason why Nokia and Techno phones are very popular in NJigeria. It's not everyone that can afford an IPhone.

1 Like

Re: Any Hope For Oracle Professionals In Nigeria? by Skywalker5(m): 12:55pm On Sep 27, 2012
ekt_bear: I am a bit surprised that MSSQL seems to be more relevant than Oracle in Nigeria.

MSSQL is more common than oracle in most companies which are small to medium business.Oracle is too expensive and its mostly used by very large organizations.

1 Like

Re: Any Hope For Oracle Professionals In Nigeria? by benJAVA: 12:58pm On Sep 27, 2012
Im one of the very people that always advice people to know the environment and economy of Nigeria before narrowing their skill to a limited career as a DBA in Nigeria, Nigeria need a multi-skilled expert, see my dear Oracle DB and SQL Server are built to have a professional to look after them, with large amount of data, that very few company required in Nigeria. I simply use MySQL for my back-end either with Java,.NET or PHP because non of my client can afford to pay an extra DBA, may be tomorrow things might change. So learn other things to support your DBA skill.

3 Likes

Re: Any Hope For Oracle Professionals In Nigeria? by Asemo11(m): 1:02pm On Sep 27, 2012
Where okija juju day na? Na him 4 answer dis quction
Re: Any Hope For Oracle Professionals In Nigeria? by Nobody: 1:04pm On Sep 27, 2012
Yes,there is hope in yahoo-yahoo.
Re: Any Hope For Oracle Professionals In Nigeria? by Bams95: 1:06pm On Sep 27, 2012
benJAVA: Im one of the very people that always advice people to know the environment and economy of Nigeria before narrowing their skill to a limited career as a DBA in Nigeria, Nigeria need a multi-skilled expert, see my dear Oracle DB and SQL Server are built to have a professional to look after them, with large amount of data, that very few company required in Nigeria. I simply use MySQL for my back-end either with Java,.NET or PHP because non of my client can afford to pay an extra DBA, may be tomorrow things might change. So learn other things to support your DBA skill.
okay.so like what other courses do you think will be relevant to combine with database knowledge?
Re: Any Hope For Oracle Professionals In Nigeria? by MrGlobe(m): 1:06pm On Sep 27, 2012

you should have done CCNA
Re: Any Hope For Oracle Professionals In Nigeria? by Nobody: 1:07pm On Sep 27, 2012
Bams95: thanks,i will give it a try.just dont know some of these companies that use oracle.seriously speaking,i am ready to work for free.
pls,stop sounding like a loser,didn't you pay to get the skill,wait jare,God will open the way for you.God's time is the best.

3 Likes

Re: Any Hope For Oracle Professionals In Nigeria? by Afam4eva(m): 1:09pm On Sep 27, 2012
Bams95: okay.so like what other courses do you think will be relevant to combine with database knowledge?
Having a skill in software programming or web development will give you an edge because you also need databases for these skillset. It will be really hard to get a job as a DBA. Most companies will require you to have pre-requisite knowledge in other IT technologies. In Nigeria, most IT people are jacks of all trade and master of.......

1 Like

Re: Any Hope For Oracle Professionals In Nigeria? by Bams95: 1:14pm On Sep 27, 2012
Yomieluv: pls,stop sounding like a loser,didn't you pay to get the skill,wait jare,God will open the way for you.God's time is the best.
amen
Re: Any Hope For Oracle Professionals In Nigeria? by Skywalker5(m): 1:16pm On Sep 27, 2012
Bams95: okay.so like what other courses do you think will be relevant to combine with database knowledge?

i would say programming.i would have said share point but i dont think that's in use a lot in Nigeria at the moment
Re: Any Hope For Oracle Professionals In Nigeria? by sheyguy: 1:21pm On Sep 27, 2012
MYSQL/MSSQL is cheaper and more favoured by most Nigerian firms . . .Like Ajanlekoko said u can start by teaching . . . even go ahead to implement something useful with Oracle just to demonstrate u expertise and willingness to work . . . A good project like a record keeping app will go a long way to convince pple/organization to either hire you to work under them or implement something for them. entities that keep inventory include banks, Supermarket, Hospitals, schools.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Driver Returns Missing Wallet With Cash To Passenger (Photo) / Working In Abuja Vs Lagos / My Boss' Relationship With A Co-Worker Is Affecting Our Productivity

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 37
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.