Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,672 members, 7,809,554 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 11:12 AM

Husband at Home While the Wife Works? - Family (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Husband at Home While the Wife Works? (4866 Views)

The Law, The Husband, The Wife Or The Man, Who Is To Blame For This? (snapshots) / How Supportive Is Your Husband At Home? / My Wife Works!!!!! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Husband at Home While the Wife Works? by Owen(m): 10:52am On Oct 14, 2005
It matters a lot who stays home...A man is the head of the home but how can he be when he justs sits at home? Yes, it doesn't really matter who earns more but for a man to sit at home? Geeees...he must not have an idea of his position in the family!
Re: Husband at Home While the Wife Works? by drbigdaddyg(m): 11:05am On Oct 14, 2005
I am still imagining men staying at home while the women go and do the money magic for them. Probably, such women come back and see the their baby's napkins not washed, then, they'll continue from there
Re: Husband at Home While the Wife Works? by Owen(m): 12:07pm On Oct 14, 2005
Its absolutely hilarious!!
Re: Husband at Home While the Wife Works? by Owen(m): 12:08pm On Oct 14, 2005
cheesy
Re: Husband at Home While the Wife Works? by drbigdaddyg(m): 12:18pm On Oct 14, 2005
Re: Husband at Home While the Wife Works? by kikelomo(f): 1:01pm On Oct 24, 2005
All of you that seem to find no problem with the woman at work while the man lays his lazy tired ass at home, watch out when deep insecurities arise!
Re: Husband at Home While the Wife Works? by Trooper(m): 6:11am On Oct 26, 2005
Very tough topic. I would do it and take care about the kids and other work. Would take a little while to get used to it but definitely possible. By the way....I did if before ........
Re: Husband at Home While the Wife Works? by Trooper(m): 6:15am On Oct 26, 2005
@ Owen......these days, a Man does not really has to be the head of a family. Have you ever heard from making compromises ? What's so bad when the woman is bringing the money in ? Nothing. You still can be the boss in the house but I think it's always a 50/50 thing ! As long there is beer in the fridge things are alright !
Re: Husband at Home While the Wife Works? by Owen(m): 2:30pm On Oct 26, 2005
Its not just about the money...the man has to work, it doesnt matter if the woman gets more money but at least he must contribute significally. How can you be the head if you sit your lazy ass at home while your wife is at work? Its unimmaginable...please do not in any way support it!!! Its horrible!!!
Re: Husband at Home While the Wife Works? by kikelomo(f): 12:43pm On Oct 28, 2005
Thank you o! Owen. Tell them O!
Re: Husband at Home While the Wife Works? by hillkam(f): 1:24pm On Nov 01, 2005
cheesy cheesy Handsome peoples!! Lets be real here. Come again...man at home when woman at work?? shocked

Its a great idea for the next life. Honeslty, men are the ones to toil on the hard dry grounds as the women do the house chores. This rule is universal; forget the so called gender equality. Good people, do we understand the male ego? I would like to meet a man who is not disturbed at all by the wife being the bread winner.

Let me be a little biblical. You remember the fall of man, after Eve ate the fruit and gave it to Adam who in turn did the same then they were cursed? It is from that point when the man got the reponsibility of providing while the woman was cursed to bare pain during birth delivery and to desire the man. For the man to head the family, he ought to be at a higher level from the woman as this keeps his ego at bay.

If we follow this so called modernity, women will head the homes and the men will curl their tails whenever the wives come home. I would call this an abomination. Women, we ought to let the man head the family no matter the cash in your bank account.

So you Houseman, hit the road and thou shall not come back home empty handed!
Re: Husband at Home While the Wife Works? by IAH(f): 8:51pm On Nov 01, 2005
What if he makes the money from home? As long as he is financially responsible, I don't care whether he stays home or not. If he likes it, he can even follow the kids to school and learn ABC with them. Wetin concern me?
Re: Husband at Home While the Wife Works? by Owen(m): 10:57am On Nov 09, 2005
If the man makesm money by sitting at home then its somewhat ok. As long as he contributes significally to the families finnances.
Re: Husband at Home While the Wife Works? by loveth(f): 2:32pm On Nov 10, 2005
Owen thank you for this your post.
Re: Husband at Home While the Wife Works? by Owen(m): 2:35pm On Nov 14, 2005
Hmmmm...looks like everyone is on my side...thats nice...but we could use a little competition to make things interesting. So all those who feel its ok for a man to sit at home doing nothing while his wife is at work should speak up and make their point. wink
Re: Husband at Home While the Wife Works? by Bibi(m): 11:05pm On Nov 14, 2005
maybe we can apply a rule : whatever a woman can do, a man can do better. If women preach equality so much, maybe its ok for the man to take the backstage sometimes.
Re: Husband at Home While the Wife Works? by Owen(m): 1:25pm On Nov 17, 2005
No way! Yes, I agree that a woman can sometimes(in a very few situations) be the bread winner and take the lead but heck, that doesn't mean the man should sit at home. It defiles the law of natural existence and disqualifies the definition of a man! And besides, about that rule; tongue I don't agree with it! tongue
Re: Husband at Home While the Wife Works? by loveth(f): 2:14pm On Nov 17, 2005
cool lipsrsealed
Re: Husband at Home While the Wife Works? by gina34(f): 2:14pm On Nov 17, 2005
I know you won,t.
Coz you know men are weak***when it comes to domestic stuff
Re: Husband at Home While the Wife Works? by Owen(m): 2:19pm On Nov 17, 2005
Hey! Take that back! Men are not weak at domestic work. I'll have you know I have only one sister and when shes out we (the guys) do virtually all the domestic work. What planet are you from any way? People are complainning that men are getting to engrosed in domestic work than they aught to. Fathers now babysit very often. Men are now known to most often than none, cook better than women. So you are very wrong to say men are weak at domestic work. I mean there is absolutely nothing to it, you name it. Just takes time thats all. angry
Re: Husband at Home While the Wife Works? by gina34(f): 2:26pm On Nov 17, 2005
In your dreams bro.
The fact that you know how to wash dishes and probably boil rice does not mean u know how to manage a family.

Judging from your last sentence.
Why should it take time in the first place since you men are Mr know it all.
Re: Husband at Home While the Wife Works? by Owen(m): 2:46pm On Nov 17, 2005
I never said men are MR.Know it all. And I never said I knew how to manage a family. Not you or I can manage a family, it takes both the man and the woman: thats why its a [b][/b]Family.
Re: Husband at Home While the Wife Works? by loveth(f): 7:41pm On Dec 01, 2005
grin
Re: Husband at Home While the Wife Works? by loveth(f): 12:47pm On Dec 02, 2005
hmmmmm.
Re: Husband at Home While the Wife Works? by Owen(m): 11:51am On Dec 09, 2005
Does any one still disagree with me?
Re: Husband at Home While the Wife Works? by dominobaby(f): 1:14am On Dec 10, 2005
I once had this neighbour, the wife worked in a bank, while he ran his "Okada" business from home.
Now, i don't mean that he rides the motorcycle himself. He's got like 7 bikes being operated by different men and all he does is to go collect the returns (money)twice a week. Practically, he
is at home for the rest days of the week!
During the week, on school days, he takes the kids to and from school. They've got a househelp who does the house chores anyway.

So what do you guys say about this?
Re: Husband at Home While the Wife Works? by Renike(f): 4:21am On Dec 10, 2005
am not feeling the idea ( of husband/home & wife/work)
Re: Husband at Home While the Wife Works? by ed(m): 10:46am On Dec 16, 2005
If you read proverbs chapter 31 you see what a woman can - and should - do. In the old testament the men sit a the gates of the city; I understand that to mean they are discussing things important to life. So I am not sure that the western model of man working woman at home is the truth. In the past, we were all farmers or lived in small communities, life was less paced and people lived and worked together in their homes.

In my hope and vision for you, you have a real home , where man and woman are present in a way throughout the day, live with each other, with their children, with their neigbors.
Re: Husband at Home While the Wife Works? by 2die4: 9:05pm On Dec 16, 2005
Why does anybody have to stay at home? God has given evertbody the ability to work so why not use it??
But if a husband has to stay at home for any reason at all, then there is nothing wrongf with that as long as the wife is respectful enough not to through it in his face and turn him into a house boy, and as long as the man is confident enough not let it affect his relationship with his wife..
Re: Husband at Home While the Wife Works? by Bibi(m): 12:14pm On Dec 17, 2005
I think there is a cultural element to this discussion as I have seen so far. That goes back to our roots that "man must provide".

I see two issues for raising this topic...
1. There is a mutual decision between man and wife for the man to stay home while the wife works. The trade off is the man's income, assumed the woman earns a lot more than the man. This is true for Nigerians who have been absorbed in foreign lands. At home (Naija), this will be seen as tabboo and considered the woman has used the man's head.

2. The man decides to work from home simply because his private business allows him to do so, he has more flexibility with work and family, so hes more readily available to the kids. Thus, hes more at home than the wife. Again, our culture throws the situation at risk even if comfortable with the man and the wife...The family and friends will alsmost always ask.."your wife is never at home"...and the unintended addons....

Personally I do not see anything wrong with the two scenarios above if aligned with the man and wife. The unfortunate thing is the society that casts doubts on the intent and introduce the cultural twist to the detriment of such family. I think this is for mature relationships that will not be swayed by societal norms, also its not a mature scenario for families dwelling in Nigeria for now.
Re: Husband at Home While the Wife Works? by omogenaija(f): 3:35am On Mar 06, 2006
we both have to work

and when i am home i will do the chores and cooking by myself

because i dont want no iya-oko saying i put something in her sons efo
Re: Husband at Home While the Wife Works? by mikun(f): 2:58pm On Mar 06, 2006
Just to inform all those that have been saying that men can now "babysit". You cannot babysit your own kid, just because you are looking after your child and you are a man, the term babysitting should not be used.
You don't use that when a mother is looking after her child do please don't use the term babysitting for dads. I hear men saying they are babysitting and I always feel like shaking them hard.

Regarding the topic, I don't believe that a man should stay at home while the lady works. He is the man, even if the wife earns more he should still bring his own money into the home.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

10 Weird Pregnancy Facts No One Tells You About / Why Men Are Treated Badly At Old Age? / My Sister Was Used For Money Rituals – Brother Laments (photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 58
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.