Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,709 members, 7,809,691 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 01:19 PM

Husband at Home While the Wife Works? - Family (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Husband at Home While the Wife Works? (4867 Views)

The Law, The Husband, The Wife Or The Man, Who Is To Blame For This? (snapshots) / How Supportive Is Your Husband At Home? / My Wife Works!!!!! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Husband at Home While the Wife Works? by teefah(f): 3:47pm On Mar 10, 2006
@ all the ladies saying they don't mind if the husband stays at home, i hope you'll still be able to say that after 5 years of marriage, 2 kids, school fees, house rent, car maintenance et al and still speak to your husband with respect.

@ all the men who don't mind sitting at home, i hope if after 2 years you ask for 1000 naira pocket money and she gives you the story of your life and how she's up from 5am-12midnight to ensure that you have a roof over your head, you won't give her a dirty slap.

I cannot get married to a lazy man. The bible says a man that cannot provide for his household is worse than an infidel. My man can work from the house, good and fine. If he works from the house and has the time to pick the kids from school and prepare dinner if he sees i'm running, then beautiful. But to seat down, sleep, wake up and wait for teefah to give him money to buy cigarettes, sorry for him. Although its a different scenario if he losses his job due to downsizing or whatever.

To all you guys out there, don't ever plan to sleep and collect pocket money from your wife just because she works at UN. Even if at the end of the month, you make just 10% of her monthly salary, keep the job & be good at it. That way you earn your respect. If you cannot afford to pay the children's fees, buy little pressents for them, show that you are still the daddy. Else they will turn you to that uncle who lives in our house.
Re: Husband at Home While the Wife Works? by Consultant(f): 9:05pm On Mar 10, 2006
Interestingly my husband and I are in this situation right now. Not because he's lazy but simply because i got to the US first and he does not yet have the authorization to work. While he's struggling to settle down, i am glad to work and provide for the family. Besides, when i was in school, he was the one working and providing for me. We are both christians and strong believers in the maxim that what one person has in marriage equally belongs to the other person as well. Nobody is giving anybody pocket money. Even when we were dating, i knew how much he was earning and he knew how much i was earning, and we planned our expenses together. We have a joint account for all our household expenses and personal accounts for our own little expenses. We make our budegt together and we each get a fixed amount as pocket money for our personal accounts every month. When he starts working, we will still have the same pattern. I know my husband is a different breed from most Nigerian men - he gladly looks after our daughter while i work and he does not take out the frustrations of job hunting on me at all. I think all couples should operate this way when it comes to spending regardless of who s working and who is not.
Re: Husband at Home While the Wife Works? by eveseh(f): 9:43pm On Apr 27, 2006
that husband is a f'.u.c.k.king pim

man should work not woman
Re: Husband at Home While the Wife Works? by trendy(f): 5:49pm On Nov 21, 2006
it is really no big deal!
i think it is about time

men see women as equal
Re: Husband at Home While the Wife Works? by ThoniaSlim(f): 10:33pm On Dec 09, 2006
i don't like the idea,i want both of us working and contributing to the family so one person does not feel inferior to the other.
Re: Husband at Home While the Wife Works? by frankiriri(m): 8:34pm On Jan 24, 2007
Where are all the independent minded women that wanted to eat me raw on the "submission' thread. This is a male submission thread and I dont see them commenting here.

@ Seun
I am surprised that you wont like to be supported by a woman. Afterall in the spirit of Gender equality you should be able to sit at home and take care of the home front if that
is what is practicable.

@consultant
I feel u O but not many women can take it like you are doing. We need more of people like you in this world. I pray that your love and marraige continues to wax stronger
Re: Husband at Home While the Wife Works? by diyobdw(f): 11:39am On Feb 27, 2007
HEll No what his he doing at home. I wont enjoy that.
Real men wont sit at home even when out of work! cheesy
Re: Husband at Home While the Wife Works? by CrudeOil2(m): 10:48am On Aug 21, 2009
I can never be a SAHD.
Re: Husband at Home While the Wife Works? by Fhemmmy: 1:04pm On Aug 21, 2009
Crude Oil:

I can never be a SAHD.

What if you staying home with investments online, meaning working from home Dad (WFHD) would u mind that?
Re: Husband at Home While the Wife Works? by Outstrip(f): 1:09am On Aug 22, 2009
It depends though. What if my husband makes 50,000.00 a year and he wants to further his education and I make well over $100,000.00. It would make sense since full time work and full time schooling will be a serious strain on the family. My husband went to school and kept his job though when he was working on his masters. I was gone long hours too so he had to have the kids with him and still study. It was a huuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuge strain on us. In our case though he brought in most of the money so he had to keep working.
Re: Husband at Home While the Wife Works? by Consultant(f): 10:16pm On Aug 26, 2009
@consultant
I feel u O but not many women can take it like you are doing. We need more of people like you in this world. I pray that your love and marraige continues to wax stronger

Wisdom is profitable to direct, I say. My husband eventually went back to school for his masters when the job was not forthcoming. He now works for an oil company. If I had been bad to him when he was job hunting, I would be paying for it now. Just food for thought.
Re: Husband at Home While the Wife Works? by GEW: 10:32pm On Aug 26, 2009
Consultant:

Wisdom is profitable to direct, I say. My husband eventually went back to school for his masters when the job was not forthcoming. He now works for an oil company. If I had been bad to him when he was job hunting, I would be paying for it now. Just food for thought.
wisdom is really profitable. well done

Consultant:

Interestingly my husband and I are in this situation right now. Not because he's lazy but simply because i got to the US first and he does not yet have the authorization to work. While he's struggling to settle down, i am glad to work and provide for the family. Besides, when i was in school, he was the one working and providing for me. We are both christians and strong believers in the maxim that what one person has in marriage equally belongs to the other person as well . Nobody is giving anybody pocket money. Even when we were dating, i knew how much he was earning and he knew how much i was earning, and we planned our expenses together. We have a joint account for all our household expenses and personal accounts for our own little expenses. We make our budegt together and we each get a fixed amount as pocket money for our personal accounts every month. When he starts working, we will still have the same pattern. I know my husband is a different breed from most Nigerian men - he gladly looks after our daughter while i work and he does not take out the frustrations of job hunting on me at all. I think all couples should operate this way when it comes to spending regardless of who s working and who is not.
thanks a good wife is surely from the LORD. we can all learn from this

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

My Sister Was Used For Money Rituals – Brother Laments (photos) / I Don't Want Your Money (put A Roof Over Our Head) / Your Opinion On A Woman That Has Not Visited Her Husband's Village For Once

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 27
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.