Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,656 members, 7,823,859 topics. Date: Friday, 10 May 2024 at 04:38 PM

What Is Your Favorite IDE [lately]? - Programming - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Programming / What Is Your Favorite IDE [lately]? (5266 Views)

Can Anyone Tell Me How To Get Php Ide Suitable For Practice Purposes / Your Favorite Java IDE? / Is Anything Better Than The Netbeans Ide? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

What Is Your Favorite IDE [lately]? by delomos(m): 3:15pm On Apr 11, 2012
I recently "inherited" a clusterf%%k of a Classic ASP project, at which two sucky things happened:
1. I had to now develop on Windows
2. I had to depart from my long loved PHPStorm IDE

That lead to the hunt for an IDE that will come at least close to P/S, after trying V.Studio, Expression Web, etc, I settled for WEBuilder 2011 as a decent comprise until I met Sublime Text 2, Jesus f,,,ing Christ! I have fallen in love with this IDE, apart from supporting ASP sweetly, it support tons of other langs too and just neatly supports my workflow.

I'm curious to know your favorite IDE, and why -- not a debate about which is better just curious.

Re: What Is Your Favorite IDE [lately]? by Fayimora(m): 10:16pm On Apr 11, 2012
Sublime isin't an IDE. It is a text editor that brings a bit of the power of TextMate to other platforms. 80% of the stuff in Sublime is from TextMate. As a matter of fact, the bundles I have in TextMate are shared with Sublime. Anyways it is a good editor and I think those features you listed above is just a tip of the iceberg! The grep functionality of the thing is AMAZING. It is also considerably faster than TextMate which makes me feel like am using vim.

If you find yourself using the mouse while using that editor, I think you should just switch back to Notepad++ or Gedit.. lol
Re: What Is Your Favorite IDE [lately]? by techytom(m): 10:44pm On Apr 11, 2012
I'd say Aptanna Studio 3 anytime

1 Like

Re: What Is Your Favorite IDE [lately]? by delomos(m): 12:00am On Apr 12, 2012
Fayimora: Sublime isin't an IDE. It is a text editor that brings a bit of the power of TextMate to other platforms. 80% of the stuff in Sublime is from TextMate. As a matter of fact, the bundles I have in TextMate are shared with Sublime. Anyways it is a good editor and I think those features you listed above is just a tip of the iceberg! The grep functionality of the thing is AMAZING. It is also considerably faster than TextMate which makes me feel like am using vim.

Maybe or not, generally wikiP thinks an IDE should have:
- a source code editor
- build automation tools
- a debugger

S/T has all but the last (or maybe I just haven't found it). Perhaps you didn't read my intro to the question, I'm working on ASP/ on Windows; e-Text Editor is what compares itself to TM on MAC, and even works with native TM bundles. I personally haven't gotten into the TM swing, I've just stuck to RubyMine & PHPStorm which I'd really be replacing with Sublime.

Per that grep future, ummm, you mean RegEx, or grep as in Linux' grep <file>?

However, you didn't share what IDE you use and why. And don't forget, this is, "not a debate about which is better.."

@techytom:
I used to love Aptana until I met PHPStorm, and quite frankly considering I came from the "Eclipse/Java" community, it sat well with me -- could be overwhelming at times though.

Why do you dig Aptana?
Re: What Is Your Favorite IDE [lately]? by Fayimora(m): 1:03am On Apr 12, 2012
I don't have one as I hate IDE's sad But if I was forced to pick then I might pick XCode, 4.3 to be specific.

delomos:

Maybe or not, generally wikiP thinks an IDE should have:
- a source code editor
- build automation tools
- a debugger

S/T has all but the last (or maybe I just haven't found it). Perhaps you didn't read my intro to the question, I'm working on ASP/ on Windows; e-Text Editor is what compares itself to TM on MAC, and even works with native TM bundles. I personally haven't gotten into the TM swing, I've just stuck to RubyMine & PHPStorm which I'd really be replacing with Sublime.

However, you didn't share what IDE you use and why. And don't forget, this is, "not a debate about which is better.."

@techytom:
I used to love Aptana until I met PHPStorm, and quite frankly considering I came from the "Eclipse/Java" community, it sat well with me -- could be overwhelming at times though.

Why do you dig Aptana?

I thought it would have been obvious enough. I don't use IDE's unless I am forced to, so Netbeans for large Java Projects, Eclipse for android development and XCode for iOS development. Everything else, am stuck with TextMate/Vi/Sublime.

I just have this love for the Terminal so you can't really blame me cheesy

It's search/find tool
Re: What Is Your Favorite IDE [lately]? by okeyxyz(m): 6:09am On Apr 12, 2012
@delomos, @fayimora,
what other FREE & POWERFUL text editors out there can you recommend? should not be less than notepad++
Re: What Is Your Favorite IDE [lately]? by Fayimora(m): 7:57am On Apr 12, 2012
okeyxyz: @delomos, @fayimora,
what other FREE & POWERFUL text editors out there can you recommend? should not be less than notepad++
What platform?

Mac => TextMate
Windows/Linux => Sublime

If you use multiple OS's like me then Sublime is a good choice since you use one thing everywhere.
Re: What Is Your Favorite IDE [lately]? by delomos(m): 5:13pm On Apr 12, 2012
@Fayimora:
I get the feeling you don't completely read the question asked "..FREE & POWERFUL text editors. Sublime isn't free but certainly powerful

@okeyxyz:
Sir, text editors are a deeply personal choice, some people think it almost as personal as a hot chic giving you a hot slap in front of your goons; to which I agree to some extent (that's why some people swear by MS Notepad). There isn't as far as I know any free text editor that comes close to the flexibility of N++.

Depending on your coding style, the Aptana you mentioned could be great and also, Sublime (http://www.sublimetext.com/2) has a 30 days trial, see if you like it or if it fits your style (it fits mine, I typically do JS/HTML/CSS/Ruby/PHP/SQL/Shell and very recently Cl. ASP). PM me, I'd send you a key (when I get one, I'm still under the 30days trial myself and loving it so far)

Generally what makes an IDE/texteditor rock for me:
- how efficiently can i do sh$t with moving away from the keyboard (I'm still trying to learn Sublime's keyboard Mappings)
- how intuitive is it's interface
- what color coding/completion comes outta box
- can I automate s%%t from within it
- can I customize it to match my style (Jetbrains IDE family really rocks at this)
Re: What Is Your Favorite IDE [lately]? by Nobody: 7:38pm On Apr 12, 2012
Zend Studio 9 because it comes with all the features i need for Zend Development and other stuff too, but since i moved to Ubuntu Linux its Aptana Studio anyways whats the diff ? still the same Eclipse to me. Sublime is nice but i won't consider that an IDE,PHPStorm i keep hearing about it from people.
Re: What Is Your Favorite IDE [lately]? by abbyode(m): 8:28pm On Apr 12, 2012
My favourite IDE is Alpha five v11. It enables me to get things done faster and without stress. Very very unpopular though.
Re: What Is Your Favorite IDE [lately]? by delomos(m): 1:41am On Apr 13, 2012
pc guru:
......Sublime is nice but i won't consider that an IDE....
Any specific reason why?
Re: What Is Your Favorite IDE [lately]? by naijaswag1: 11:05am On Apr 13, 2012
Eclipse Indigo for Java development on the Eclipse Platform.
Re: What Is Your Favorite IDE [lately]? by Fayimora(m): 6:05pm On Apr 13, 2012
delomos: @Fayimora:
I get the feeling you don't completely read the question asked "..FREE & POWERFUL text editors. Sublime isn't free but certainly powerful
Huh? Really? pheew...smh
Re: What Is Your Favorite IDE [lately]? by xterra2(m): 7:27pm On Apr 15, 2012
@delomos
I need the key to sublime
I sent you a friend request so that I can send you a message, it says email message
Anyway , accept and send me the key please

@topic
My fav IDE is visual studio , I love love the code snipets and when doing winforms and because I have the ultimate version of v studio :p
Re: What Is Your Favorite IDE [lately]? by xterra2(m): 7:28pm On Apr 15, 2012
I also forgot to mention I use netbeans for java (very good)
And I use notepad ++ but I always wanted a replacement
Re: What Is Your Favorite IDE [lately]? by delomos(m): 1:28pm On Apr 16, 2012
@xterra2: I'm unsure how to use NL's PM, perhaps send me a message -- and, you really should follow thru' Sublime's trial and see it fits your style before settling on it -- and as I mentioned, I'm still trying it out myself; send me a msg [on PM], I'd pass the key along when I get one.
Re: What Is Your Favorite IDE [lately]? by bb6xt(m): 6:26pm On Apr 19, 2012
I'll go for PyCharm any day, but Editra is also a cool second choice.[color=#770077][/color]
Re: What Is Your Favorite IDE [lately]? by delomos(m): 6:48pm On Apr 19, 2012
bb6xt: I'll go for PyCharm any day, but Editra is also a cool second choice.[color=#770077][/color]
Never used PyCharm by but I can bet it'll be a killer, those JetBrain guys don't play (at least judging by their products I've used.)
Re: What Is Your Favorite IDE [lately]? by delomos(m): 1:18pm On Apr 20, 2012
@xterra2: not sure how to respond to a NL PM, I got it the message though. email me: me (at) delewrit.es
Cheers.
Re: What Is Your Favorite IDE [lately]? by broswilli: 12:56pm On Apr 25, 2012
NETBEAN IDE is the bomb you can use it for Java, php, javascript,ruby, python, c, c++ e.t.c just download the ide with a collection of required plugins. I use it for PHP programing which allows me to edit HTML, CSS, JAVASCRIPT, in one IDE. Its really cool. You can also integrate debugging capabilities using xdebug.

1 Like

Re: What Is Your Favorite IDE [lately]? by candylips(m): 5:16pm On Apr 25, 2012
eclipse all d way
Re: What Is Your Favorite IDE [lately]? by Seun(m): 6:56pm On Apr 25, 2012
I used to love Netbeans because it supported multiple languages and it didn't impose any structure on projects, but since netbeans 7 dropped support for Python, I've been stuck with Netbeans 6.9.2.

I'm trying to pick up Eclipse because it supports most Open Source languages and tools (e.g. git) very well, but I find it to be far less responsive than Netbeans and much less flexible (for example, you can't include source directories outside your project directory)

1 Like 1 Share

Re: What Is Your Favorite IDE [lately]? by candylips(m): 2:32pm On Apr 26, 2012
Seun: I used to love Netbeans because it supported multiple languages and it didn't impose any structure on projects, but since netbeans 7 dropped support for Python, I've been stuck with Netbeans 6.9.2.

I'm trying to pick up Eclipse because it supports most Open Source languages and tools (e.g. git) very well, but I find it to be far less responsive than Eclipse and much less flexible (for example, you can't include source directories outside your project directory)

Seun why will you want to include source directories outside the project directory.

You can easily create a seperate project for this right ??
Re: What Is Your Favorite IDE [lately]? by Seun(m): 3:05pm On Apr 26, 2012
candylips: Seun why will you want to include source directories outside the project directory.

You can easily create a seperate project for this right ??
I like to separate my source directories from my IDE project directories because I often have to access my sources from the command line, outside the IDE. It's a convenient feature, which is why Netbeans supports it. I like the feeling of freedom it gives me, and I've grown used to it. I suppose I will eventually have to get used to doing things the Eclipse Way, which is not so bad because of Eclipse's support for most open source stuff, but I don't like tools that force me to do things in a particular way.
Re: What Is Your Favorite IDE [lately]? by Ghenghis(m): 9:17pm On Apr 26, 2012
That's the default behavior (for, say, a Java project). But you can have sources outside the project directory. You might have to configure your builders, but I have done this b4 ...
Eclipse is one of the most flexible IDEs I've ever used.
You can also try the affordable MyEclipse, which is excellent!
Re: What Is Your Favorite IDE [lately]? by naijaswag1: 9:47pm On Apr 27, 2012
Seun: I used to love Netbeans because it supported multiple languages and it didn't impose any structure on projects, but since netbeans 7 dropped support for Python, I've been stuck with Netbeans 6.9.2.

I'm trying to pick up Eclipse because it supports most Open Source languages and tools (e.g. git) very well, but I find it to be far less responsive than Netbeans and much less flexible (for example, you can't include source directories outside your project directory)

Though you are very much experienced than myself,I bet you will love eclipse.I learned with netbeans and later switched to eclipse.Recently,I wanted to give my debut software a windows foundation classes(win 7) look and feel,eclipse platform implementation of the wins 7 look and feel is better that its netbeans counterpart.If you do desk top app,you would have know that swt/jfaces is better than swing,As for MyEclipse, am sure gonna try it out soon.
Re: What Is Your Favorite IDE [lately]? by Seun(m): 12:02am On Apr 28, 2012
I've discovered how to maintain sources outside the Eclipse project directory on Window 7. Using the mklink command in a shell window with admin privileges, you can create a virtual source directory within the Eclipse project directory that points to the real source directory outside the Eclipse project directory. Eclipse treats the directory symlink exactly as if it's a real directory. Yay.

UPDATE: Doesn't work well with Mercurial Plugin. Now using Eclipse project directory as the source directory.
Re: What Is Your Favorite IDE [lately]? by Ghenghis(m): 11:27am On Apr 28, 2012
Can't you use the import feature and point to any path you want ?
From experience eclipse rarely forces you to do anything.
Re: What Is Your Favorite IDE [lately]? by Seun(m): 3:18pm On Apr 28, 2012
Ghenghis: Can't you use the import feature and point to any path you want ?
From experience eclipse rarely forces you to do anything.

The import feature just copies the files in the import directory to the Eclipse project directory, but: what I've discovered about Eclipse is that the project directory is very lightweight - it just includes 1-2 special files, e.g. .project and .pydevproject, so there's no real reason to keep your sources elsewhere.
Re: What Is Your Favorite IDE [lately]? by fatezy(m): 8:28pm On Apr 29, 2012
Surprised I haven't seen Visual Studio mentioned here. Is it because there are not that many Microsoft programmers on here?
I'm here thinking VS is the best gift to man since sliced bread
Re: What Is Your Favorite IDE [lately]? by delomos(m): 10:33pm On Apr 29, 2012
fatezy: Surprised I haven't seen Visual Studio mentioned here. Is it because there are not that many Microsoft programmers on here?
I'm here thinking VS is the best gift to man since sliced bread

Apart from Sliced Bread been over-rated, what's particularly great about VS, I've personally haven't great experience with it but then you might have used it more?
Re: What Is Your Favorite IDE [lately]? by fatezy(m): 10:50am On Apr 30, 2012
delomos:

Apart from Sliced Bread been over-rated, what's particularly great about VS, I've personally haven't great experience with it but then you might have used it more?

talk about sliced bread being overated is true though, agege all day for me.

Back to VS, started development with C++ (used Turbo C++), then Java using Netbeans before VB.net and then C#. So I haven't used that much IDEs. Turbo was crap, enough said. Netbeans was a bit overwhelming. VS was intuitive (to me). It stole me with it's advanced intellisense (back when I started) and the debugging facility provided in recent versions is top notch.

(1) (2) (Reply)

If You Are A Developer, Take This Survey And Win $1000(New Survey ) / Learn Programming And Be Equipped For The New Year( One On One Training ) / Between Dreamweaver And Joomla! Which Should I Opt For?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 71
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.