Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,607 members, 7,809,219 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 05:43 AM

Adeboye, Redeem Church Leader In N20 Billion Import Waiver Scandal - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Adeboye, Redeem Church Leader In N20 Billion Import Waiver Scandal (14084 Views)

6 Die In Suicide Bomb Attack On Redeem Church / How NIPC Boss Was Fired For Embarrassing Jonathan On $20bn Tax Waiver - Thecable / N20 Billion Recovered From Tafa Balogun Still Missing (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Adeboye, Redeem Church Leader In N20 Billion Import Waiver Scandal by collins011(m): 7:05pm On Nov 05, 2007
ADEBOYE, REDEEM CHURCH LEADER IN N20 BILLION IMPORT WAIVER SCANDAL

The General Overseer of the Redeemed Christian Church of God, RCCG, Pastor Enoch Adejare Adeboye has been linked to a scandalous import duty waiver said to have cost Nigeria a whooping N20 Billion in revenue loss between 2006 and 2007.

A Fiscal Commission source in Abuja preferring anonymity told Pointblanknews.com during the week that pastor Adeboye, tapping into his well-known ties with former President Olusegun Obasanjo benefited from the shady import duty waiver in which Alhaji Aliko Dangote, Chief Mike Adenuga, Alhaji Saminu Turaki, Mr. Donald Duke and others were prime beneficiaries.

According to the impeccable source, the duty waiver granted Adeboye was said to have been used “dishonestly” by the church to import luxury Sport Utility Van, SUV (usually called Jeep in Nigeria), building materials and Digital Recording equipment some of which were said to belong to top members of the church both within Nigeria and abroad. In other words, the source surmised that Adeboye used his high level connections to “aid and abate” his church members to defraud the nation by not paying the requisite importation fees.

The source said that many of the RCCG’s faithful in Nigeria and abroad had celebrated the “unlawful act” as a “testimony to the goodness of the lord.” It was said that a Pastor Ghandi of the Jesus House, RCCG in Washington DC where the late first lady Mrs. Stella Obasanjo used to worship whenever she was in the United State, was a facilitator of the deal.

Many of the luxury cars that were said to have been imported through the deal were not meant for private use. They were said to have been sold at several car dealerships across the country. The source explained to pointblanknews.com that even if the items were not traded, it was unheard of that “people would import duty-free luxury items into any country.”

The official did not rule out the possibility of a thorough investigation of the deal which he said could make Adeboye to pay and possibly face charges.

A document made available to pointblanknews.com indicated that in 2006, RCCG got an import waiver of N9,831,109,309.00 through certificate no.,BO/REV/12235/S.2/T.133 to import construction materials; generators and vehicles. The value of the imports was N49,155,546,846.00.

advertisement

In 2007, another import waiver was granted. This time through a certificate number BO/R10260/V111/161, RCCG was granted rights to import building/construction materials with value put at N48,988,454,876.00 with a total waiver of N9,757,690.975.20. The two waivers total N19,588,800,284,20, while the bulk transactions amount to N98,144,347,130.20.

Also 300 luxury cars with value put at $6,923,000, 100 Jeeps (SUV) valued at $8,000,000, Video Equipment valued at $12,000,000.00, were all part of the shady import deals.

It would be recalled that the comptroller General of Nigerian Customs Services, Mr. Jacob Gyang Buba had been investigated by the independent Corrupt Practices Commission, ICPC in connection with an annual loss of N50 Billion in respect of the importation tariff waiver introduced by the Government of President Olusegun Obasanjo.

The spiritual depth of some practices of the RCCG has been subject of concern amongst growing conservative Christian worshippers. Adeboye is often criticized for being interested in quantity and not quality. He is said to have broken his church to model parishes were prosperity theology is often preached. The other class of followership is usually called Redeemed Classical. They are more mortified and often completely scriptural. Apart from Adeboye’s too cozy with the high and mighty elite, he was said to have given tacit blessing to ex-president Obasanjo’s third-term Presidential dream that was truncated with sudden humiliation.
Re: Adeboye, Redeem Church Leader In N20 Billion Import Waiver Scandal by Seun(m): 7:08pm On Nov 05, 2007
Where did you copy this from?
Re: Adeboye, Redeem Church Leader In N20 Billion Import Waiver Scandal by otokx(m): 7:26pm On Nov 05, 2007
This should be moved to the religious section.
Re: Adeboye, Redeem Church Leader In N20 Billion Import Waiver Scandal by Nobody: 9:42pm On Nov 05, 2007
they should have known better than to jump into bed with a criminal like OBJ. Now their good name is in tatters.
Re: Adeboye, Redeem Church Leader In N20 Billion Import Waiver Scandal by Njoy1(f): 9:45pm On Nov 05, 2007
ziddy:

they should have known better than to jump into bed with a criminal like OBJ. Now their good name is in tatters.

what has OBJ got to do with this?

I sorry for you.
Re: Adeboye, Redeem Church Leader In N20 Billion Import Waiver Scandal by Seun(m): 9:47pm On Nov 05, 2007
Source, please. No source, no story. Reports are easily fabricated.
Re: Adeboye, Redeem Church Leader In N20 Billion Import Waiver Scandal by vigasimple(m): 11:26pm On Nov 05, 2007
collins011:

Apart from Adeboye’s too cozy with the high and mighty elite, he was said to have given tacit blessing to ex-president Obasanjo’s third-term Presidential dream that was truncated with sudden humiliation.

Now I don't know whether the story is true or it source but as far as I can recall or remember that Pastor Adeboye on the issue of 3rd term categorically said in an interview that OBJ avoid him when he OBJ knew his position in relation to the 3rd term agenda.

For that reason alone I will say that the story may not be true because Pastor Adeboye that I know will not want to be a party to something like using his position for commercial benefits and by the way my church is not REEDEEM Church
Re: Adeboye, Redeem Church Leader In N20 Billion Import Waiver Scandal by folahann(m): 11:45pm On Nov 05, 2007
Anyway am not suprised, we are still in Nigeria
Re: Adeboye, Redeem Church Leader In N20 Billion Import Waiver Scandal by presido1: 9:58am On Nov 06, 2007
vigasimple:

For that reason alone I will say that the story may not be true because Pastor Adeboye that I know will not want to be a party to something like using his position for commercial benefits and by the way my church is not REEDEEM Church
How do u know him if i may ask? A pregnant woman said that the only person she can defend is the baby in his tommy as for the she is carrying on her back now way she cant defend.
Re: Adeboye, Redeem Church Leader In N20 Billion Import Waiver Scandal by babasin(m): 11:00am On Nov 06, 2007
I never trusted this Adeboy fellow.

what is church doing with JEEP?

He should be sent to Jalingo and heal all those 'deaf' & 'dumb' people
Re: Adeboye, Redeem Church Leader In N20 Billion Import Waiver Scandal by FSU: 12:19pm On Nov 06, 2007
In the last days, many fake prophets shall arise to deceive my people. So says God. Adeboye may well be one of the fake prophets. Is he not similar to men like Ehindero who steal and yet claim to be born again? Or late pastor Tunji Akanni who was Adeboye's senior pastor but was engaged in fraud in INEC, as well as having a secret family. Make I hear word o'jare.

Find the news at:
http://www.pointblanknews.com/os635.html
Re: Adeboye, Redeem Church Leader In N20 Billion Import Waiver Scandal by buluti(m): 11:21pm On Nov 06, 2007
Ok so this is where the information was obtained. In a bid not to sound biased i took a look at the so called website, can you please go to the link about us of this so called site.

http://www.pointblanknews.com/about.html

The site publishes stories from individuals the content of which cannot be verified independently because they didnt state how they do that. We have dailes in Nigeria such as Thisday, Guardian etc that will report issues without fear or favour. Who is a Fiscal Commission source a faceless individual and thats the source of the story.

This is pure junk journalism, the issue of the controversial import waiver of the previous regime is well known, such waivers have been used by successive Nigerian governments and such was frowned at because it makes no economic sense, it was costing the govt a huge source of revenue.

Trying to identify Pastor Adeboye with such nonsense at best is a huge joke, if the so called import waivers were granted by the OBJ government, the new government should ensure everyone found to have gained including RCCG if proven to be involved should pay back, but to slander someones name like this just shows the level of thinking of people.

The same people that call for rule of law, that say u are innocent until proven guilty are the ones passing judgements.
Re: Adeboye, Redeem Church Leader In N20 Billion Import Waiver Scandal by Kobojunkie: 1:18am On Nov 07, 2007
154 million dollars and no one noticed or asked questions Come on!!
Re: Adeboye, Redeem Church Leader In N20 Billion Import Waiver Scandal by iykrion(m): 4:16am On Nov 07, 2007
The authenticity or otherwise of this issue will certianly come to limelight. I reserve my comment till then.
Re: Adeboye, Redeem Church Leader In N20 Billion Import Waiver Scandal by YangaRat: 6:20am On Nov 07, 2007
All these big-belle pastor dem be teef, and na from poor people dem dey take wayo promise dey collect all dem chop-money salary put for pocket, come begin dey shout for church say na God dey use all that money when dem dey collect. Abi na naira dem dey spend for heaven ? Me I no even know say dem dey use money there at all self.

If na true talk say God dey, and say God get power and sense pass any man, na him be say God nogo need my money to take am perform any miracle, because him power suppose to pass wettin man pinkin money fit do. In the end na army robber go visit all this teef pastor for dem house, one by one, to send dem go meet dem God for heaven after when dem done sieze the money when dem hide for house.

Cunning man die. Cunny man bury am.
Re: Adeboye, Redeem Church Leader In N20 Billion Import Waiver Scandal by dayokanu(m): 7:20am On Nov 07, 2007
With all due respect I have always been uncomfortable with Pastor Adeboye's romance with OBJ. OBJ comes to the redemption camp and mounts the pulpit at will

Now the redemption Camp which is supposed to be a reverred religious site is now a political gathering with all PDP govs regardless of the atrocities the commit everyday.

We have traditional rulers with all their Juju regalia coming there even with their caps on!!! next in Redemption camp would be Adedibu and his thugs.

How can you move with OBJ and be clean? the elders say the sheep that moves with dogs would eat shit.
Re: Adeboye, Redeem Church Leader In N20 Billion Import Waiver Scandal by biggerboy(m): 5:00pm On Nov 07, 2007
I wont be part of this! *abruptly walks away*
Re: Adeboye, Redeem Church Leader In N20 Billion Import Waiver Scandal by babasin(m): 5:10pm On Nov 07, 2007

Abacha took $3billion. Nobody knows until his death

OBJ has taken about $10Billion, we will not know till his death

Etteh took $5mil, we know, only because she did not settle.

Pastor from INEC took N1billion naira, we know only after his death.

This story is true until Adeboye provides contrary evidence.
Re: Adeboye, Redeem Church Leader In N20 Billion Import Waiver Scandal by collins011(m): 6:30pm On Nov 10, 2007

My brother the story is true, but the fact that Baba gave Our Spiritual Leader import waiver those not in anyway make him unholy, baba iyabo gave it many of his cronnies but the only thing there is just that baba was seeing himself as a demi-god when he was in aso rock and as such he can do anything without being question by anybody. The truth is that baba did that without seeing it as anything but in other way round this is stealing! Redeem members went about praising God for doing miracle to them.

Let me not say much

Here is the source of the news http://www.pointblanknews.com/os635.html
Re: Adeboye, Redeem Church Leader In N20 Billion Import Waiver Scandal by cyprianjr(m): 10:05pm On Nov 10, 2007
The suppose website http://www.pointblanknews.com/os635.html looks amature and not reliable

collins011:

My brother the story is true, but the fact that Baba gave Our Spiritual Leader import waiver those not in anyway make him unholy, baba iyabo gave it many of his cronnies but the only thing there is just that baba was seeing himself as a demi-god when he was in aso rock and as such he can do anything without being question by anybody. The truth is that baba did that without seeing it as anything but in other way round this is stealing! Redeem members went about praising God for doing miracle to them.

Let me not say much

@collins011 , i think i agree with you but come to think of it my brother,if this is really true, what has RCCG been doing for its members to improve their lives?, ok forget the lives of its members,what about the general public, has there been organizations,institutions which they established to help the Nigerian people for close to nothing at all in return?
Re: Adeboye, Redeem Church Leader In N20 Billion Import Waiver Scandal by Kobojunkie: 10:05pm On Nov 10, 2007
collins011:

Let me not say much

I don't even understand who you are referring to when you say Baba and then spiritual leader. What I am saying is I put the blame on the people when right under their noses, this sort of thing CONTINUES to happen and we have after so many years of this, not learned to catch it in the middle or something I am assuming the money belonged to the church mentioned. If not, where did the money come from?? I really cannot address your posting at all since I do not know what baba iyabo and the rest are. I still find it hard to believe that people sat by again and watch 154 million of their money get siphoned away in a period of 1 year. I mean we are talking of Nigeria here, country which has seen even worse than this,  whose people are supposedly 419 savvy and able to sniff it out by now.
Re: Adeboye, Redeem Church Leader In N20 Billion Import Waiver Scandal by toba1909(m): 12:46am On Nov 12, 2007
My people, The Bible said "TOUCH NOT MY ANNOINTED AND DO MY PROPHETS NO HARM". Lets leave God himself to judge them.
Re: Adeboye, Redeem Church Leader In N20 Billion Import Waiver Scandal by DisGuy: 12:52am On Nov 12, 2007
toba1909:

My people, The Bible said "TOUCH NOT MY ANNOINTED AND DO MY PROPHETS NO HARM". Lets leave God himself to judge them.

Ibori, kalu, odili are a god fearing men, lets leave them abi cool
Re: Adeboye, Redeem Church Leader In N20 Billion Import Waiver Scandal by Kobojunkie: 12:56am On Nov 12, 2007
Dis Guy:

Ibori, kalu, odili are a god fearing men, lets leave them abi cool

I don't believe what he is saying is that we should not prosecute them should they be found GUILTY. Sofar, the topic states it is a Scandal and as much as we would want to claim that we have the WHOLE story figured out and the man guilty cause we think it, it does not make stamp him guilty until he is proven guilty. Leaving it to God is more a way of saying that God will definitely see to it that he will get what is coming to him.
Re: Adeboye, Redeem Church Leader In N20 Billion Import Waiver Scandal by koksy(f): 10:21am On Nov 12, 2007
We are not God to Judge, This topic needs no commenting on,
Re: Adeboye, Redeem Church Leader In N20 Billion Import Waiver Scandal by FSU: 10:34am On Nov 12, 2007
It is said in the Bible that in the last days, many false prophets shall arise. Nothing else to say
Re: Adeboye, Redeem Church Leader In N20 Billion Import Waiver Scandal by FSU: 11:19am On Nov 12, 2007
Church in import waiver mess
Finance Minister faults
Saturday, November 10, 2007

Minister of Finance, Dr. Shamsudeen Usman, has put a lie to the claim of the National Secretary of the Christian Association of Nigeria (CAN), Eng. S. L.S. Salifu, that the ministry was yet to furnish him with details of the churches that have seemingly abused the import waiver regime, as claimed by the minister.

More Stories on This Section

advertisement

Usman says his office has not only replied, but had appealed that the issue be viewed from the economic point of view rather than imputing religious sentiments into it.

In a statement responding to CAN’s position, made available to Saturday Sun, the minister claimed that contrary to the CAN chief’s accusation that he made wild allegations and declined to reply his letter requesting for details, he actually wrote back to the Christian body.

He noted also that he named names and gave specific instances of churches that benefited from the windfall made possible by an indulging administration. The minister in a memo of October 10 with reference number FMF/OHMF/1 addressed to the CAN Secretary, Eng. S. L.S. Salifu, and signed on his behalf by his Special Adviser (Media), disputed the claims of the CAN chief at the Independence anniversary and noted:

Minister’s letter

Kindly take note that the Honourable Minister of Finance was out of the country when your initial letter was received. Upon his return, he ordered that the information you requested, be communicated to you accordingly.

We were therefore shocked by your inaccurate and misleading public comments about the subject matter and the person of the Honourable Minister while efforts were on to process your request as directed. And that you chose the occasion of the commemoration of our nation’s 47th national day celebrations was indeed indiscreet and misguided, to say the least.

However, the transcript of the relevant portion contained in the Honourable Minister’s text of press conference is hereby reproduced for your guidance as follows:

“When we issue these tax incentives, what is the purpose? Are we achieving the purpose, or are we just giving up revenue?

“I was surprised. When you look at the list… I asked for the full list of all the waivers we’ve given from the Customs, FIRS, especially in those two areas.

“A lot of government departments are asking, a lot of state governments are asking for these waivers. Then some private sector parties, (you know).

“And even churches! Some people will say churches?, Yes! Churches can get waivers but when you see the amount of money involved, you then ask, what is a church doing with such kind of money?.

“A state government, I mean, somebody is organizing some game, and he gets a waiver to import 600 motor cars. What do you need 600 or 800 motors vehicles for? I mean, there is serious abuse in this area that has to be stopped ! “

It is therefore unfair and unjust of you to willfully label the Honourable Minister, by levying such grave allegations against his good person, reputation and track record.

As you can now see, nowhere was the importation of 600 vehicles linked to any church in the Honourable Minister’s speech, to warrant your deliberate and unkind misrepresentation of his person.

In summary therefore, the Honourable Minister only expressed general reservation over inappropriate issuance of tax waivers to various levels of governments, agencies and non-corporates such as faith-based organizations – because of the massive loss of revenue involved, and the continued implication of this to our nation.

Further to the above, and to prove the point made by the Honourable Minister, I enclose the relevant, unedited portion of the press conference in question for your guidance.

And as a proof of his concern over the possible abuse to which they can be deployed, find attached, two samples of such import waiver details, variously granted to the … (church name withheld by us), the colossal amount involved, items imported and revenue implication to the nation.

Now that you have been adequately availed of facts of the matter, I have no doubt that as a man of God, you will take necessary measures to correct your misrepresentation of the Honourable Minister, especially in the eyes of your members – whom you said had inundated your office with requests for clarification on the subject matter as contained in your letter under reference.”

According to the aides of the minister, the ministry had no reason to believe that the above letter, which was also copied to the president of CAN, had not got to the National Secretary as at the time he granted the said interview.
Re: Adeboye, Redeem Church Leader In N20 Billion Import Waiver Scandal by buluti(m): 12:16am On Nov 14, 2007
@ FSU my question is that did you read it at all.

Lets be clear, if Redeem was given any wrong waiver, the government should do the right thing and tax the church, there are ways of doing this, and not go on this image battering scheme. That said the write up from the Sun (another scripolous source) stated that the Minister didnt name any church.

FSU:

As you can now see, nowhere was the importation of 600 vehicles linked to any church in the Honourable Minister’s speech, to warrant your deliberate and unkind misrepresentation of his person.

Further to the above, and to prove the point made by the Honourable Minister, I enclose the relevant, unedited portion of the press conference in question for your guidance.

And as a proof of his concern over the possible abuse to which they can be deployed, find attached, two samples of such import waiver details, variously granted to the … (church name withheld by us), the colossal amount involved, items imported and revenue implication to the nation.

Now that you have been adequately availed of facts of the matter, I have no doubt that as a man of God, you will take necessary measures to correct your misrepresentation of the Honourable Minister, especially in the eyes of your members – whom you said had inundated your office with requests for clarification on the subject matter as contained in your letter under reference.”

[quote][/quote]

What nonsense "Name withheld", if the source is genuine they should provide the name of the church, no matter who is involved.

And please again i join to call that if redeem did any wrong they should pay and penalty if applicable.

But as responsible civil citizens the questions we should be asking is on what basis were this waivers granted, if as the minister claims it has been abused, all the culprits should be brought to book, and how can we reassured it will not happen again.

This smear of one mans name by all means and a bid to quote scriptures you dont understand wont help you. Yes in the last days false prophets and teachers will arise, how has that got to do with this.
Re: Adeboye, Redeem Church Leader In N20 Billion Import Waiver Scandal by Uche2005: 10:59pm On Jun 16, 2011
chineke
Re: Adeboye, Redeem Church Leader In N20 Billion Import Waiver Scandal by Nobody: 12:20am On Jun 17, 2011
Lekki free trade zone grin grin grin grin I can't wait!!
Re: Adeboye, Redeem Church Leader In N20 Billion Import Waiver Scandal by rasputinn(m): 8:39am On Jun 17, 2011
Rubbish

@ Uche2005

Why did you go and dig up this dead thread??You obviously wanna dent the good name of Pastor Adeboye,well I wish you good luck in your journey,so many have tried in time past,and they always found out it's not an easy thing to do as they thought cos the man largely clean compared to some other pastors around
Re: Adeboye, Redeem Church Leader In N20 Billion Import Waiver Scandal by poshman55: 6:35pm On Aug 14, 2013
Whether d story is true or false let no man judge we leave it to Almighty God on judgement day Everyman shall account for their actions.nevertheless why has Adeboye never used the police raid about is kids back then in London as a preaching or testimony during their fraud case hmmm names witheld. Well I guess we ain't all saints at d end of d day

(1) (Reply)

Frank Mba "Recommended" As Lagos Police Commissioner Not Appointed Yet / Trend Of Illicit Drug Trafficking Worries Ndlea Boss,igbo Ethnic Extraction In / Gej Decieved Nollywood With $200m- Chukwura

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 64
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.