Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,536 members, 7,823,335 topics. Date: Friday, 10 May 2024 at 08:53 AM

Onitsha City Monorail By Globim International - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Onitsha City Monorail By Globim International (12054 Views)

Ayade And Kuru Ride On Calabar Monorail / Anambra: CCTV Security Gadgets Records Successes At Onitsha City / Anambra And Delta States, Still Tense As Northerners Flee Onitsha City (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Onitsha City Monorail By Globim International by Onlytruth(m): 2:49am On Apr 13, 2012
While viewing Enugu City monorail project, I noticed that the same company is designing one for Onitsha. Here's the short project information culled from the project website.

Globim Monorail

[size=14pt]Onitsha, Nigeria Monorail System[/size]

Onitsha City in Anambra State is the 5th fastest growing city in the world. It is the biggest market in West Africa, the economic nerve center of Nigeria and the gateway to Eastern Nigeria (UN Habitat, 2009). Due to its rapid pace of growth and its projected growth rate, it is experiencing tremendous transportation challenges.

System Specifications

Phase-1 is budgeted at US$503 million (₦82 billion) and is 36.2 km (of equivalent single track) monorail running from Nkpor Junction - Awka Rd. – Old Market Rd. – Bright St. – Iweka Rd. – Ziks Avenue – Niger Rd. – A232 Hwy – Limca Rd – Nkpor Junction.
Project entails finance, survey, design, construction, and operation of the line.
Initially 5-6 minute headway between trains and decreasing to 3 minutes as needed.
4 to 6 car-trains with capacity 440 to 660 people travelling up to 100 km/hr based on station separations.
Trains will be electrically powered on a straddled beam system.
Train power will be electric.

1 Share

Re: Onitsha City Monorail By Globim International by Onlytruth(m): 2:49am On Apr 13, 2012
Re: Onitsha City Monorail By Globim International by Onlytruth(m): 2:55am On Apr 13, 2012
According to the website, Onitsha is the 5th fastest growing city in the world.
This city needs a world class infrastructure to go with its status as an emerging megacity.
This monorail is very welcome, along with a befitting international airport! cool

We shall get there umunne m! Amen.

One day we will wake up to discover that Igboland is at par with most developed countries.
Otu a ka anyi kwesiri isi na akpa ike! cool cool cool
Re: Onitsha City Monorail By Globim International by Onlytruth(m): 2:57am On Apr 13, 2012
Traffic problem.

Re: Onitsha City Monorail By Globim International by Onlytruth(m): 2:57am On Apr 13, 2012
Traffic solution.

Re: Onitsha City Monorail By Globim International by Kobojunkie: 3:13am On Apr 13, 2012
Enough of the silly posts and pictures already. Na so we been dey shout "monorail" since 2005. It is 2012 and still no monorail in Nigeria. ENOUGH!!! angry angry angry angry angry
Re: Onitsha City Monorail By Globim International by Onlytruth(m): 3:19am On Apr 13, 2012
Kobojunkie: Enough of the silly posts and pictures already. Na so we been dey shout "monorail" since 2005. It is 2012 and still no monorail in Nigeria. ENOUGH!!! angry angry angry angry angry

Kobo please no die of heart attack.
Did you go to Enugu to verify whether any work is going on there?
I will admit that I just came across the Onitsha one, so I suspect it is a new idea.
No matter what happens, please don't die! lol
Re: Onitsha City Monorail By Globim International by Kobojunkie: 3:33am On Apr 13, 2012
Onlytruth:

Kobo please no die of heart attack.
Did you go to Enugu to verify whether any work is going on there?
I will admit that I just came across the Onitsha one, so I suspect it is a new idea.
No matter what happens, please don't die! lol

That you think to die when you read of news like this does not mean we are all of the same mind set. The news of old for even Onitsha, this was announced back in 2010. But if you had carefully, and with eyes wide-open, read my post, you would understand there really is no need to jump into defense mode. My post had nothing to do with Onitsha or your village, but mainly at the many announcements of potentials that never seem to arrive. Like I said, since 2005, I don dey read of monorail this, monorail that. Money still being flushed down the rail but not much to show for all the promises and claims.

Metro areas wey no even get decent transport system, na monorail dem wan jump to build, even before they have a functional rail system. $500 million on monorail . .

Anywho, like I said, ENOUGH of the nonsense already. If Government, any of them, is serious, time to get to work FIRST, and regale us with stories of their success, and images of real progress.

And to you tribalists who are quick to assume it is ALL AGAINST YOU, grow a brain!
Re: Onitsha City Monorail By Globim International by EkoIle1: 3:34am On Apr 13, 2012
Onlytruth: Source: http://www.globim.com/onitsha.html

Na promotional rubbish by a common contractor dey shack you?

Low self esteem dey kill you people sha...

Fastest-Growing Emerging Cities Of The World

http://www.forbes.com/2010/10/07/cities-china-chicago-opinions-columnists-joel-kotkin_slide_5.html

Gullible people....

1 Like

Re: Onitsha City Monorail By Globim International by bashr8: 5:13am On Apr 13, 2012
Eko Ile:

Na promotional rubbish by a common contractor dey shack you?

Low self esteem dey kill you people sha...

Fastest-Growing Emerging Cities Of The World

http://www.forbes.com/2010/10/07/cities-china-chicago-opinions-columnists-joel-kotkin_slide_5.html

Gullible people....
yorubas and their hate lus inferiority complex whenever anything igbo is mentioned, how dare you compare united nations with a usless gossip forbes magazine, onitsha is the among the 5 fastest growing cities in the world you can now go and die.

UN rates Onitsha among world’s fastest growing cities
Monday, August 02, 2010

The United Nation,UN Habitat has rated the commercial city of Onitsha among the five fastest growing cities in the world. The photographs of the cities will be formerly displayed in Shangai, China in October during the world exbition to mark the UN-Habitat Day.
The UN-Habitat team led by a famous international photographer, Mr. Alessandro Scotti disclosed this during a courtesy call on Governor Peter Obi at the Government House, Awka.
According to Scotti, the other four cities are in Morocco, China, Malaysia and Brazil. He said Onitsha was chosen for the project because of its peculiar significance and noted that its display to the world will showcase its unique attributes.
Mr Scotti who thanked Governor Obi for establishing collaboration between Anambra State and UN-Habitat, noted that the project will further strengthen the partnership aimed at developing the city and the state.
Responding, Governor Obi said the choice of Onitsha for the project was a further sign of world’s recognition and interest in the state. He explained that the state’s partnership with UN-Habitat has restored hope that the state will be rebuilt in an organized manner and restated the commitment of his administration to rebuilding the cities in line with structural plans.
Earlier, the Commissioner for Lands, Mr. Peter Afuba said the recognition of Onitsha and Anambra State was a result of Governor Obi’s efforts and recorded achievements in town planning.

http://www.nigerianbestforum.com/blog/?p=56128

of course we already know onitsha main market is the largest in the world so far so am not suprised.
Re: Onitsha City Monorail By Globim International by picolo01: 5:15am On Apr 13, 2012
why does it have to descend to this all the time ?? eko ile??

UN rates Onitsha higher than lagos, as Africans most advanced cities

http://www.codedruns.com/Services un/lagos/onitsha/advanced

please no fighting , na one naija
Re: Onitsha City Monorail By Globim International by MrGlobe(m): 6:58am On Apr 13, 2012
picolo01: why does it have to descend to this all the time ?? eko ile??

UN rates Onitsha higher than lagos, as Africans most advanced cities

http://www.codedruns.com/Services un/lagos/onitsha/advanced

please no fighting , na one naija

Guy no be one naija again oh. One naija is a fallacy. This post is capable of giving many yuruba folks heart attack. I just wish Nigeria will break up tommorrow so I can laugh at how poor and wretched the oduduwa nation will be without those backing up their lazy a/ss
Re: Onitsha City Monorail By Globim International by deshclones(m): 7:37am On Apr 13, 2012
Onlytruth: According to the website, Onitsha is the 5th fastest growing city in the world.
This city needs a world class infrastructure to go with its status as an emerging megacity.
This monorail is very welcome, along with a befitting international airport!
cool

We shall get there umunne m! Amen.

One day we will wake up to discover that Igboland is at par with most developed countries.
Otu a ka anyi kwesiri isi na akpa ike! cool cool cool

o boy drum this truth into peter obi's ears..dude is not doing anything to better the lots of our dear state....

Imagine the fifth fastest growing city in the world does not have an airport,good road,functioning gabbage disposal system etc...infact everything is wrong in onitsha...even the air is different once you cross the niger bridge from asaba...i just hate that dude..just gallivanting in abuja while his state rots...pray tell..of what use is he saving money for us when the state is going under??i just tire for the guy. angry angry angry
Re: Onitsha City Monorail By Globim International by Nobody: 7:53am On Apr 13, 2012
Hahahahahaha...
Re: Onitsha City Monorail By Globim International by debosky(m): 8:16am On Apr 13, 2012
This project has been talked about for years now - instead of hyping paper projects, it would be good to see if any progress has actually been made on the ground.

PS - this is the type of project that I fully support - it flies in the face of the ridiculous assertions of some that you need an international airport before such projects can be conceptualised or initiated.
Re: Onitsha City Monorail By Globim International by Rotmyt: 8:30am On Apr 13, 2012
[quote author=deshclones]
Imagine the fifth fastest growing city in the world does not have an airport,good road,functioning gabbage disposal system etc...infact everything is wrong in onitsha...even the air is different once you cross the niger bridge from asaba...
I totally agree with you.The only niticeable growth in onitsha is population growth,the second picture posted only depicts a clearing at the middle of the road beneath the train. Is that space the most pressing need in onitsha? Let peter start with clearing refuse from the streets demolishing shop extentions and providing good roads. It'll so more good than the 'parking space' he hopes to free up
Re: Onitsha City Monorail By Globim International by PROUDIGBO(m): 10:47am On Apr 13, 2012
Onlytruth,nice one bruh. I actually saw the Onitsha one but decided not to highlight it since there didn't seem to be any timeframes (etc) available, unlike the Enugu one. I actually saw some renders of the Enugu one uploaded last year (by Mcjive if my memory serves me right), but thought at the time he was just being a bit naughty as i hate seeing 'proposed-proposed' with nothing yet to be set in stone.
Re: Onitsha City Monorail By Globim International by bestview: 11:17am On Apr 13, 2012
Am sure these are old pictures of Onitsha, because I visit Onitsha from PH for shopping at least twice in a month. I have noticed tremendous infrastructural growth in the city following the commissioning of UN Masterplan.

This is a welcome infrastructural development.
Re: Onitsha City Monorail By Globim International by ak47mann(m): 11:43am On Apr 13, 2012
onitsha needed monorail hope peter should work harder to make it happen because main markert need to be dicongested.......... is too busy not only main markert OSE,NKPOR NEW AND OLD PARTS,HEAD BRIDGE,NNEWI PARTS.................... cool
Re: Onitsha City Monorail By Globim International by kodewrita(m): 11:47am On Apr 13, 2012
It is well documented everywhere that BRT systems are more effective and faster to implement, yet nigerian state governments want to go the monorail route. I am certain its the higher kickback/inflated contract sizes that they really want. Otherwise, I would expect every nigerian state government to learn from Lagos and implement BRT systems.

That is not to say that this isnt a good initiative.
Re: Onitsha City Monorail By Globim International by ak47mann(m): 11:48am On Apr 13, 2012
bashr8: yorubas and their hate lus inferiority complex whenever anything igbo is mentioned, how dare you compare united nations with a usless gossip forbes magazine, onitsha is the among the 5 fastest growing cities in the world you can now go and die.

Monday, August 02, 2010

The United Nation,UN Habitat has rated the commercial city of Onitsha among the five fastest growing cities in the world. The photographs of the cities will be formerly displayed in Shangai, China in October during the world exbition to mark the UN-Habitat Day.
The UN-Habitat team led by a famous international photographer, Mr. Alessandro Scotti disclosed this during a courtesy call on Governor Peter Obi at the Government House, Awka.
According to Scotti, the other four cities are in Morocco, China, Malaysia and Brazil. He said Onitsha was chosen for the project because of its peculiar significance and noted that its display to the world will showcase its unique attributes.
Mr Scotti who thanked Governor Obi for establishing collaboration between Anambra State and UN-Habitat, noted that the project will further strengthen the partnership aimed at developing the city and the state.
Responding, Governor Obi said the choice of Onitsha for the project was a further sign of world’s recognition and interest in the state. He explained that the state’s partnership with UN-Habitat has restored hope that the state will be rebuilt in an organized manner and restated the commitment of his administration to rebuilding the cities in line with structural plans.
Earlier, the Commissioner for Lands, Mr. Peter Afuba said the recognition of Onitsha and Anambra State was a result of Governor Obi’s efforts and recorded achievements in town planning.

of course we already know onitsha main market is the largest in the world so far so am not suprised.
why stressing yourself from this low life hungry looking monkeys.........
Re: Onitsha City Monorail By Globim International by Kobojunkie: 11:55am On Apr 13, 2012
bashr8: yorubas and their hate lus inferiority complex whenever anything igbo is mentioned, how dare you compare united nations with a usless gossip forbes magazine, onitsha is the among the 5 fastest growing cities in the world you can now go and die.

Monday, August 02, 2010

[size=13pt]According to Scotti, [b]the other four cities are in Morocco, China, Malaysia and Brazil. He said Onitsha was chosen for the project because of its peculiar significance and noted that its display to the world will showcase its unique attributes[/size].

On a different note, they say if you want to hide anything from a black man, put it in writing.

The above quote from Allessandro tells a different story but rather than read through the article, you read the topic and pretended that has to be based on fact even when there are loads of evidence to counter such an assumption. If we were to believe for a minute that this assumption were true, are we also to pretend that the first 4(fastest growing cities in the world) are Hunchun(China), Uberlandia( Brazil), Tetouan(Morocco), Johor Bahru (Malaysia)? grin

http://www.unhabitat.org/content.asp?typeid=19&catid=643&cid=8744

Alessandro Scotti and representatives of Hunchun, China
Uberlandia, Brazil
Onitsha, Nigeria
Tetouan, Morocco
Johor Bahru, Malaysia

The claim that Onitsha is the fifth fastest growing metro area is not based on fact. If you folks would at least investigate claims made by our journalists, or even spent time reading articles that come with the many sensational headlines, you would at least get more informed.

Please see the attached PDF produced in the same 2010 for Onitsha, by the UN-HAbitat which you claim assumes Onitsha to be fifth fastest growing metro in the world.

Also visit the link to the 2010 UN-Habitat week, where the claims that scott Alessandro supposedly made come from. http://www.unhabitat.org/content.asp?typeid=19&catid=643&cid=8744.

Also see the UN-Habitat Week message below to gain a better understanding of what the theme of that year really was and how the assumption that Onitsha is fifth largest or whatever in the world is baseless.

[size=13pt]UN-HABITAT World Habitat Day Message for 2010[/size]
http://www.unhabitat.org/content.asp?cid=8811&catid=643&typeid=8&subMenuId=0

Cities are the greatest legacy of humanity and the greatest achievement of our civilization. Around the world and through the centuries cities have endured and survived wars, famine, natural disasters, epidemics, crumbling empires, and the disappearance of the gods, kings and queens for whom they were built.

But we have to keep improving our cities, and doing that means making our cities better for those who live in them and for those yet to be born in a world that will be from here on forever urban. Today half of humanity lives in towns and cities, and the trends show that this figure will increase to two-thirds within the next two generations.

This is why the theme chosen for World Habitat Day, Better city, better life is so important to all of us. To that I would add the term smarter city, for it is only a smart city that can provide its citizens with a better life in our planet's new urban era. It is an era we are entering with many unknowns, especially when it comes to the global impact of climate change.

We have all the tools at our disposal in good science to mitigate against most such problems. We also have the tools and knowhow for good governance, education – especially for women and girls – health services, toilets for all, or energy efficiency.

We are smart, but we have to be smarter. And World Habitat Day 2010 is an occasion to highlight five strategic steps that can be taken:

Improve the quality of life, especially for the estimated 1 billion people living in slums and other sub-standard housing around the world. Improved access to safe and healthy shelter, secure tenure, basic services and social amenities such as health and education are essential to a better life for every individual.
Invest in human capital. This is a condition for socio-economic development and a more equitable distribution of the urban advantage. This will also enable cities and regions to implement policies more effectively and to ensure that they are properly adjusted to local needs.
Foster sustained economic opportunities. Cities can stimulate sustained economic growth for the poor through labour-intensive projects. These include primarily public works and the construction industry. Cities in the developing world are starting to provide social security to give better access to economic opportunities for those traditionally excluded.
Enhance political inclusion. Today, more and more municipal and national authorities share the same basic philosophy: bringing government within the reach of ordinary people through enhanced mutual engagement. This means engaging people and their neighbourhoods in dialogue and participation in decision-making as a fundamental aspect of local democracy.
Promote cultural inclusion. Culture has historically been left out of the conventional international development agenda. More and more local development policies take into account the cultural dimensions of urban life, such as social capital, tradition, symbols, a sense of belonging and pride of place. This helps integrate ethnic minorities, preserve regional values, safeguard linguistic and religious diversity, resolve conflicts and protect the heritage.
As we move into a world of better cities with smarter policies, these are the five essential catalysts for success and a better life for all.
Re: Onitsha City Monorail By Globim International by ak47mann(m): 12:05pm On Apr 13, 2012
deshclones:

o boy drum this truth into peter obi's ears..dude is not doing anything to better the lots of our dear state....

Imagine the fifth fastest growing city in the world does not have an airport,good road,functioning gabbage disposal system etc...infact everything is wrong in onitsha...even the air is different once you cross the niger bridge from asaba...i just hate that dude..just gallivanting in abuja while his state rots...pray tell..of what use is he saving money for us when the state is going under??i just tire for the guy. angry angry angry
nwanne u are right,i noticed that 3yrs out of 6 in his tenure he didnt do much in anambra state but he got no choice he knows his name is as stake he cant afford to be nobody politicaly............he is working now....
Re: Onitsha City Monorail By Globim International by EkoIle1: 1:28pm On Apr 13, 2012
Look at these gullible fools. Wetin concern concern anybody with their usual humanitarian assessments and what's their rubbish got to do with anything in the real world?

Apart from the Forbes list, this is another list with Lagos even included and zero mentions of any AGIPA village.

=7. Lagos, Nigeria

Lagos benefitted from the Nigerian oil boom and saw an increase in population after the country's civil war ended. The city is the industrial and commercial hub for Nigeria's vast natural resources. http://www.telegraph.co.uk/travel/picturegalleries/6189897/The-worlds-fastest-growing-cities.html?image=2

TheDailyBeast: World’s Fastest Growing Cities

13. Lagos, Nigeria
Current population: 10.6 million

Estimated population, 2025: 15.8 million

Population growth by 2025: 49.5%

Current GDP: $35 billion

Estimated GDP, 2025: $101 billion

Estimated GDP growth per year, 2008–2025: 6.4%
http://xfinity.comcast.net/slideshow/news-worldsfastestgrowingcities/9/
(AP Photo/Lekan Oyekanmi)

Again, no AGIPA Village. Even Kano show face with stronger GDP.

The 10 Fastest-Growing Cities of Tomorrow

6. Lagos, Nigeria

http://www.time.com/time/specials/packages/article/0,28804,2097720_2097718_2097775,00.html

Lagos: Inside the ultimate mega-city

Africa's biggest city, and by some estimates the fastest-growing metropolis in the world, is by turns intimidating and compelling.http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world
/africa/lagos-inside-the-ultimate-megacity-1945246.html

City Life
- Wednesday, June 3[b]
Lagos, the world's fastest-growing megacity[/b]

You AGIPA people better fall back and keep accepting your village status. Just because UN dey take you do humanitarians experiment no mean say you dey show for radar.
Re: Onitsha City Monorail By Globim International by EkoIle1: 1:44pm On Apr 13, 2012
I wont even comment about the yeye monorail since it's the usual paper and dreaming AGIPA project...
Re: Onitsha City Monorail By Globim International by Bliss4Lyfe(f): 2:14pm On Apr 13, 2012
This project would be a dream come true. Fingers crossed.
Re: Onitsha City Monorail By Globim International by debosky(m): 3:31pm On Apr 13, 2012
On a side note, what does AGIPA mean Eko Ile?
Re: Onitsha City Monorail By Globim International by deshclones(m): 3:36pm On Apr 13, 2012
Eko Ile: Look at these gullible fools. Wetin concern concern anybody with their usual humanitarian assessments and what's their rubbish got to do with anything in the real world?

Apart from the Forbes list, this is another list with Lagos even included and zero mentions of any AGIPA village.

City Life
- Wednesday, June 3[b]
Lagos, the world's fastest-growing megacity

You AGIPA people better fall back and keep accepting your village status. Just because UN dey take you do humanitarians experiment no mean say you dey show for radar.

Lagos 10.6m population..hell yeah....igbos make up 62% of that figure....we own 67% of all the properties in lagos..no wonder your intense and life choking hatred for anything igbos....lol.. grin grin grin

wish another war will break out soon..walahi..we will chase una out of lagos (like igbo folks did to real yoruba folks in okota,isolo,festac,satellite town down to okoko did during the june 1994 wahala)...afterall the town itself na no man's land..lol..we are helping to congest,destroy your natural environment and use your few available resources..when lagos collapses..we go just go east go enjoy fresh air and undefiled natural habitat..while you wallow in self pity..and oh..we are seriously encroaching into ogun state..lol.. grin grin
Re: Onitsha City Monorail By Globim International by ak47mann(m): 5:46pm On Apr 13, 2012
deshclones:

Lagos 10.6m population..hell yeah....igbos make up 62% of that figure....we own 67% of all the properties in lagos..no wonder your intense and life choking hatred for anything igbos....lol.. grin grin grin

wish another war will break out soon..walahi..we will chase una out of lagos (like igbo folks did to real yoruba folks in okota,isolo,festac,satellite town down to okoko did during the june 1994 wahala)...afterall the town itself na no man's land..lol..we are helping to congest,destroy your natural environment and use your few available resources..when lagos collapses..we go just go east go enjoy fresh air and undefiled natural habitat..while you wallow in self pity..and oh..we are seriously encroaching into ogun state..lol.. grin grin
eko ile is yoruba village boy you cant help people like him they are full of poo and unexposed..................................
Re: Onitsha City Monorail By Globim International by chino11(m): 10:01pm On Apr 13, 2012
Is Lagos part of yoroobaland? Lagos was developed by FG, Igbos and Hausas. Does yorubaland starts and ends with Lagos? Why can't this clown mention Ado-Ekiti, Ibadam, Oshun and other rubbish Yoruba hamlets capitals.

This is the best yoroobas can achieve in the 21st century.

1 Like

Re: Onitsha City Monorail By Globim International by GAR3TH(m): 11:45pm On Apr 13, 2012
I still dont understand why all these nigerian cities want to build monorails for. Monorails are extremely expensive to build and carries awaaaaaaay less passengers than other transport systems. In other words a Monorail is a glorified bus that runs on a 2 billion dollar track. Why Can theses idiots just buy buses or implement BRT systems instead of wasting billions on monorails. These governments are only building monorails for the name, NO SENSIBLE GOVERNMENT WILL BUILD A MONORAIL SYSTEM FOR TRANSIT. A metro rail, BRT or City buses are the only viable solutions.

and like kobo said this is old news
Re: Onitsha City Monorail By Globim International by ak47mann(m): 1:40am On Apr 14, 2012
chino11: Is Lagos part of yoroobaland? Lagos was developed by FG, Igbos and Hausas. Does yorubaland starts and ends with Lagos? Why can't this clown mention Ado-Ekiti, Ibadam, Oshun and other rubbish Yoruba hamlets capitals.

This is the best yoroobas can achieve in the 21st century.
grin grin grin chinno my man!! don't mind that uncircumcised monkey what else did he know apart from fashola heheheheheheh cool

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Magu: "Every Government Official Is Under Investigation Without Them Knowing" / Nigeria's Power Output Climbs 4,000 MW – Fashola / We Raised N48.9m, $17,645, £200 For My Campaign - Ezekwesili

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 77
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.