Stats: 3,152,901 members, 7,817,668 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 04:50 PM

New Facts Emerge On Dbanj And Don Jazzy Split - Celebrities - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Celebrities / New Facts Emerge On Dbanj And Don Jazzy Split (25649 Views)

Dbanj And Charley Boy Pictured Together / MUST-READ: New Facts Emerge On Muna Obiekwe's Death ...chei!... / LOL: Alibaba, Derenle Edun, Matse Funny Comments On Dbanj’s Koko Concert! (2) (3) (4)

New Facts Emerge On Dbanj And Don Jazzy Split by sholasys: 8:51am On Apr 13, 2012
This guys have money sha!!!!!!
Warring founders of Mo’Hits, Don Jazzy and D’banj, are throwing barbs at each other as they move to divest their investments and interests in the label, a confidential email correspondence between them has revealed.

If you are one of those who still think that the fallout of Mo’Hits founders, D’banj and Don Jazzy, is a rumour which will dissipate in no time, you probably still live in the past. In fact, in order to make the future safe from the past, the duo is already formalising plans to share their assets especially on the ownership of the mouth-watering Mo’Hits catalogue comprising all D’banj’s albums (No Long Thing, Rundown Funk U Up and The Entertainer), Wande Coal’s Mushin to Mo’Hits and The Mo’Hits Crew All Stars’ album, Curriculum Vitae among others. Thus, as you read, Mo’Hits is only waiting for legal certification before it is pronounced dead. And the pallbearers are already waiting in the flanks to ferry the remains of the beloved label to its final resting place, bringing to a painful end the reign and run of the successful label.

In the meantime, the Mo’Hits crew has been divided, as the two figures in the unfolding drama are moving out with their different disciples: D’banj’s younger brother, K-Switch, understandably, goes with him while Wande Coal, Dr Sid and D’Prince have settled for Don Jazzy. The future of the label’s artiste manager, Sunday Are, is unknown. Long before the separation became public knowledge, D’banj and Don Jazzy were no longer on speaking terms, an authoritative source tells E-Punch.

Neither do they see eye to eye. In fact, at their last concert in New York in February, they only met on stage because each artiste had his own cubicle. Rather, they communicate via email only when necessary. In a confidential email correspondence between the former collaborators, exclusively obtained by E-Punch, the sordid details that might have led to their break up are veiled, but the bitterness-laced correspondences are open about their claims for the assets of Mo’Hits especially the catalogues of all the artistes.

D’banj must pay all the debts of Mo’Hits – Don Jazzy

In regards to D’banj’s claim for 100 percent ownership of all songs recorded under the Mo’Hits imprint, the acclaimed producer in an email on March 17th, states, “That Mo’Hits Records does not already own 100 per cent of the songs. Note that Mo’Hits Records only owns 60 per cent of the songs and 40 per cent belongs to the individual artiste. So, 40 per cent of the songs is not mine to give.” He continues, “That me (I am) giving him (D’banj) my share of the catalogue does not and will never include him having the right to stop them (the artistes) from performing the songs or give him the right to claim any monies for live performances of these songs. And any loans or debt owed by Mo’Hits records as at today will be cleared by Mr D’banj as I am clearly not aware of any.”

Don Jazzy states further that the catalogues he is releasing to his former partner only consists of songs already released in an album exempting new singles and unreleased materials. “So, songs like Wande Coal’s Go Low and Been Long You Saw Me are not part of this catalogue he is receiving. Also, an artiste like D’Prince, not only has he not released any album, he has not signed any contract whatsoever with Mo’Hits Records. That he has no right to claim any monies for deals that have been brokered already as at today with the catalogues or stop their usage. It is important to note that any unreleased songs done by any artiste (including D’banj and K-Switch) MUST NOT be released and is not part of the catalogue I am giving away.”

He adds, “With these few points, I do hope that you all realise that I have been generous enough to facilitate the End of the “D’banj & Don Jazzy” era as a team. After this new deal has been signed and sealed, I do NOT look forward to seeing an email whatsoever or hearing from the DKM (D’banj, K-Switch, Mo’Hits) crew, and all is well again.”

Will you return the Bentley I bought for you? – D’banj

Same day, D’banj responded to the email, stating, “In case he (Don Jazzy) forgot, this is the arrangement! 50/50—–song writer/ production, which means for a song X for artiste Y, 75 per cent as per production is fully owned by Mo’Hits and writing is shared 25/25 with the individual artiste co- writing. So, that’s the deal! So him (sic) saying 40 per cent is not his to give away is more like 75per me and 25per each artiste.”

He then asks, “What do you mean by any bills or loans would be cleared by Mr. D’banj? That will never happen because when I ran the company, I ran it perfectly and well. So, if I give him my shares he is left with 100 per cent liability. My catalogue is everything that has been done with the Mo’Hits system and under the normal agreement we have, that means everything I have recorded or that has been recorded whether new or old, or even classic, whether beat with concept or even idea without beats, anything we did as a team and sponsored by me throughout, then, it is mine. Including K-switch clause and all mine and even Wande’s singles and all till the date of signing even today.”

Continuing, D’banj writes, “And now, (I) wanna clear the air on this Samsung deal! I would expect by now that you understand that me keeping quiet is being GENEROUS because this is a deal structured under Mo’Hits Records, (and it is) the first deal and income you would ever bring into the company in eight years. We shared the first 150k (One hundred and fifty thousand dollars) the right way, 1/3 down and that was cool. But after you collected another 130k and did not say anything (that) is and could be described as theft! I only refused to contact them (Samsung) directly because of your reputation. But please don’t call me a fool and let’s know who is generous!” D’banj was not coy about his anger. He states that after sharing over N1bn with Don Jazzy in their Mo’Hits days, he was shocked that the producer would now sideline him when he got the balance from Samsung.’’

D’banj writes further, “Please, please, will he (Don Jazzy) return the Bentley because I bought it for him and it was N5.2m more than mine? And Prince that he claims has no signed contract but is actively involved and signed via engagement– I win his catalogue too – all recorded whether released now or not! This is because no one questioned me when I bought D’Prince N11m naira car (LR3/Range) without releasing any album just to boost the image of the boy and it worked for him! So, let’s get the facts straight, I AM BEING MORE THAN GENEROUS.”

Good music deal and other issues

After Don Jazzy inferred on twitter that the end might have come for Mo’Hits, E-Punch reliably gathers that D’banj was prevailed upon by close friends and associates not to talk despite being aggrieved that his lifelong friend had painted him black before the public. But the hyperactive entertainer, the source says, may have reached his tether’s end and any moment from now would reveal to the world all that went wrong between him and Don Jazzy. Part of what he will talk about, E-Punch learns, will dwell on the genesis of their separation and the point at which Don Jazzy advised that they did away with Mo’Hits and concentrate on their GOOD Music deal. “It was D’banj who prevailed on him that even if they were going to concentrate on their deal with Kanye, they didn’t need to do away with Mo’Hits,” says the source. When the deal with GOOD Music sailed through, Don Jazzy was signed on as a producer while D’banj was the artiste. By virtue of how the American music system works, producers are only meant to be heard not seen. So, the source says further, “Kanye and D’banj and the other guys were always going out leaving behind the producers, including Don Jazzy, which didn’t go down well with him. After some time, D’banj noticed this and to placate him, he bought both of them a Bentley each. Further, he also bought a house in Atlanta, equipped with high tech studio equipment so that Don Jazzy could be working mostly from their new home but he was not appeased as he felt that he was being outshined by D’banj.”

On the other hand, Don Jazzy allegedly told his close associates that the reason he decided to part ways with D’banj was because of an alleged arrogance which was impacting negatively on the other artistes. Long before Mo’Hits evolved, they were friends before becoming partners, putting up with each other’s shortcomings but fame and money have combined to becloud their tolerance of each other.
http://www.punchng.com/entertainment/e-punch/mohits-split-latest-dbanj-don-jazzy-in-war-of-words/
Re: New Facts Emerge On Dbanj And Don Jazzy Split by Nobody: 9:12am On Apr 13, 2012
CHAI IGBO MAN AND GREEDINESS.. So DPRINCE na tag along?

Don Jazzy and his fat Igbo cheeks go soon qwensh..

No money and greediness go kill Igbo man, tufiakwa.

I spit on Don Jazzy.

Re: New Facts Emerge On Dbanj And Don Jazzy Split by Cheggoon(m): 9:18am On Apr 13, 2012
arole_odua: CHAI IGBO MAN AND GREEDINESS.. So DPRINCE na tag along?

I spit on Don Jazzy.
shut up ...i.d.i.o.t......na wetin u kw say apun amonge dem.....i see dbang ...as an arogant...bad yoruba guy....
Plz dont bring tribal mata for dis two of dem b thief...!

Re: New Facts Emerge On Dbanj And Don Jazzy Split by ifihearam: 10:00am On Apr 13, 2012
Na don jazzzy go suffer this break up allah
Re: New Facts Emerge On Dbanj And Don Jazzy Split by Nobody: 10:01am On Apr 13, 2012
I think there is entertainment section on NL! this post should go there
Re: New Facts Emerge On Dbanj And Don Jazzy Split by titus3: 10:37am On Apr 13, 2012
The wise men who said this before knew what they were saying...

Money is the root of all evil...

Personally I like Don Jazzy more than D banj, but from the story, it is obvious that DBanj contributed a lot to the growth of the Mohit's business empire, while Don Jazzy took charge of the music development, which is the foundation of their success. So it's really a partnership

My suggestion is that they choose a particular day as their official "divorce date" and all assets and liabilities earned before that day, be split 50-50.

Its the honourable thing to do, and they should forget about who bought what for who. It was all in the spirit of friendship, so I wonder why it should all be brought to ruins now... sad

Re: New Facts Emerge On Dbanj And Don Jazzy Split by stagger: 10:42am On Apr 13, 2012
titus3: The wise men who said this before knew what they were saying...

Money is the root of all evil...

Personally I like Don Jazzy more than D banj, but from the story, it is obvious that DBanj contributed a lot to the growth of the Mohit's business empire, while Don Jazzy took charge of the music development, which is the foundation of their success. So it's really a partnership

My suggestion is that they choose a particular day as their official "divorce date" and all assets and liabilities earned before that day, be split 50-50.

Its the honourable thing to do, and they should forget about who bought what for who. It was all in the spirit of friendship, so I wonder why it should all be brought to ruins now... sad

Please stop misquoting the bible. It is the love of money and not money itself.

Re: New Facts Emerge On Dbanj And Don Jazzy Split by titus3: 10:51am On Apr 13, 2012
Sorry Pastor Stagger...

But you get my drift sha
Re: New Facts Emerge On Dbanj And Don Jazzy Split by saydfact(m): 10:51am On Apr 13, 2012
i try, i read am finish....
now to the matter... NO COMMENT until i hear the other person... (tot i did?)

about who wld do better after tha spit; ONLY BABA GOD FIT TELL..... u all know the "tony tetuilla vs remedies" story by now.

lipsrsealed kiss lipsrsealed
Re: New Facts Emerge On Dbanj And Don Jazzy Split by Ehinafe: 10:56am On Apr 13, 2012
stagger:

Please stop misquoting the bible. It is the love of money and not money itself.

Pastor Stagger, Let me help u out: Money is very very good, but the love of Money is the root of ALL EVIL
Re: New Facts Emerge On Dbanj And Don Jazzy Split by Aygem(m): 10:57am On Apr 13, 2012
Don jazzy appears to be the parasite here!

Re: New Facts Emerge On Dbanj And Don Jazzy Split by Afam4eva(m): 10:59am On Apr 13, 2012
Let's see how it plays out at the end of the day. I kinda have a soft spot for Don jazzy because i think he's honest and humble unlike D'Banj.

Re: New Facts Emerge On Dbanj And Don Jazzy Split by utimayor(m): 11:13am On Apr 13, 2012
Another sponsored story to paint black the image of Don Jazzy. Why would he (D'banj) go about mentioning the 'gifts' he gave people? Well till we hear from Don Jazzy himself, this story sounds kinda disabled. Hungry Reporters.

Re: New Facts Emerge On Dbanj And Don Jazzy Split by lacidi: 11:17am On Apr 13, 2012
I have a feeling this story was planted by D'Banj team. It is so one sided. The story was supposed to be from email correspondences between the two but reading through it, it is clear that it was more of someone stating his own position on an issue rather than an email corrspondence.

The story was skewed clearly to make Don Jazzy look bad. Lets wait for round 2.

Re: New Facts Emerge On Dbanj And Don Jazzy Split by shadrach77: 11:17am On Apr 13, 2012
d'banj is very proud and ungrateful tongue cry kiss undecided embarassed angry angry

Re: New Facts Emerge On Dbanj And Don Jazzy Split by icez: 11:25am On Apr 13, 2012
shocked so much money
Re: New Facts Emerge On Dbanj And Don Jazzy Split by Nedu31(m): 11:28am On Apr 13, 2012
let hear from Don jazzy b4 we judge them.I strongly believe that Don jazz will soon come out with his own fact.

Re: New Facts Emerge On Dbanj And Don Jazzy Split by Josh121(m): 11:29am On Apr 13, 2012
To say less, we just have to watch out am see who is Generous cos I believe someone who take cared of you as a child and you grow to become a man should be the one to be praise for good work done. In every where and every side am sure Don Jazzy will still be the good one

Re: New Facts Emerge On Dbanj And Don Jazzy Split by lagerwhenindoubt(m): 11:33am On Apr 13, 2012
Tooo much money (my problem is how to spend it)
I don hammer -- grin grin grin grin grin
Re: New Facts Emerge On Dbanj And Don Jazzy Split by bloggz: 11:40am On Apr 13, 2012
now i get the true picture of things! it"s all an ego thingy lipsrsealed lipsrsealed Each party has a point tho! Let both parties appoint an Arbitrator each who would help them find an equilibrum /reach a compromise and move on.it's just about that time both parties moved on...so sad sad
Re: New Facts Emerge On Dbanj And Don Jazzy Split by apache77(m): 11:41am On Apr 13, 2012
So for 8years, DBanj was the marketer bringing in close to N1billion naira by way of his music and endorsements into MOHITS?Don Jazzy just sat down there forming big man and letting us all think he owned and ran MOHITS. Then the first deal he Don Baba J brokered,Samsung, ie the first money he ever brought into Mohits- he cheated DBANJ out of $130k.why? Don Jazzy Why? They say DBANJ is arrogant, but I dare say that no one who controlled the sort of funds he did within that establishment can have the sort of humility he displayed over 8years.

Now its glaring that DBANJ owed Mohits, brought in the funds that kept them going, dispensed favors as he so wished, yet never a day, did anybody even suspect that he was the dynamo, he was the cash cow. NO one ever knew he signed the checks and had Don Baba J on a salary. Everybody said Don JAzzy bought him that BMW, he even said so himself, meanwhile it was the reverse. DFBANJ made it seem like Don JAzzy was his master, while all along, he, DBANJ was Don Jazzy's master. He bought a Bentley for Don JAzzy that was N5.2m more expensive than the one he bought for himself. Damn, i dont think there is any living young Nigerian that can show the sort of humility DBANJ showed. Its Don JAzzzy Again (IDJA) reverence deceived everyone into thinking Don JAzzy was the head, while all along DBAN was.Even within the MOHITS staff, no one knew DBANJ signed checks. They all assumed IDJA got the cash and gave DBANJ. And DBANJ never for once even boasted, even in bed to any of his girlfriends or hommies.

Sad sad sad about this report, and everything the report said here about the GOOD MUSIC sidelining DOn JAzzy I will consider as conjecture, till further emails from both parties tell us otherwise. But if it was the truth, then it just casts IDJA as even more of an ungrateful person. From the foregoing, what i can deduce from their breakup is this:

1. IDJA started resenting DBANJ in some way as he made them more money, and termed it arrogance so as to soothe his own ego and create the feel good factor around himself. How can you call a man arrogant who has deified you to the point of being God, atleast in the eyes of the public
2. Greed, finally nailed the partnership because Don Jazzy collected $130k dollars and didnt tell DBANJ about it. He prolly felt it was time he earned his own N15million without DBANJ brreathing down his neck.
3. The GOOD MUSIC deal finally buried MOHITS- because DBANJ owed MOHITS, IDJA wanted it scrapped so they could throw in with GOOD MUSIC. DBANJ knew at GOOD MUSIC, he will be a salaried entertyainer while at MOHITS he signed checks. WHo would agree to that? So the GOOD MUSIC deal just amplified the saying that 'All that glitters is not gold'. Kanye and Jigga came in from nowhere and spoilt one of the brightest African business models ever spawned..and i cry. Despite the fact Don Jazzy stole money, despite the fact he felt DBANJ was arrogant, they would have sorted their differences like the men they are had GOOD MUSIC not being in the picture

Now, a creative partnership made in heaven has gone down and all real aficionados of music and creativity should be sad for this.

Re: New Facts Emerge On Dbanj And Don Jazzy Split by Xionez(m): 11:45am On Apr 13, 2012
London bridge is falling down. . .falling down. . .grin
Re: New Facts Emerge On Dbanj And Don Jazzy Split by Josh316(m): 11:46am On Apr 13, 2012
Persnally i can still pick holes in this story.

1. If they werent in speaking terms, how come they were togda in the mock video for the Oliver twist song? The one Don Jazzy was wearing the Man-U Jersey? this was just a few months ago, around August 2011. So when did this whole thing go down?

2. I still think this is an extended stunt to increase their value and that of their co-stars and I'm sure it would have been Kanyes idea for them to create some beef as beef rules the American Market. look at Kanye himself. Remember the Kanye vs 50cent beef? that beef alone increased his value greatly and it was brought to a head when they both met on stage during one of the Grammy awards where they had a 'FACE-OFF'WITH 50CENT being the taller guy (was quite funny).

Also remember that prior to the recent smoochy collabo life btw kanye and Jay-Z, they both had beef with Jay-Z singing Death of Autotunes. We all know Kanye is the Autotunes master. How come they're so chummy now?

Final word, if dem think say cos of this beef i'll be buying their albums, dem don jam ROCK! Na download i go dey download oooo!!! grin

Re: New Facts Emerge On Dbanj And Don Jazzy Split by Nobody: 11:52am On Apr 13, 2012
arole_odua: CHAI IGBO MAN AND GREEDINESS.. So DPRINCE na tag along?

I spit on Don Jazzy.

Showing your hatred once again for the IGBOS. GO HUG TRANSFORMER NA IF U HATE EM. Mad DOG

Re: New Facts Emerge On Dbanj And Don Jazzy Split by HonSuQMaDIQ(m): 11:52am On Apr 13, 2012
Like super eagle stars (e.g mikel), like d'banj. D only problem wit our 9ja stars is hw long they stay up. Pride goes before a loud n noisy fall. Imagine d'banj blabin about buying Jazzy a Bentley. Biting d fingers dat lyrically fed him. I evn wonder hw d bang songs go sound for ear witout Don jazzy's sonorious back ups (dat guy reminds me of timberland). I hv neva been a fan of d'banj shaa. Its only Jazzy's side dat appeal to me. One also wonders wat kind of music he wil b doin wit oyibo kanye west. Well, all in all, wen d'banjs biography is written DON BABA's name wil always be there as his GODFATHER n MENTOR. Love it or hate it!

Re: New Facts Emerge On Dbanj And Don Jazzy Split by Nobody: 11:53am On Apr 13, 2012
ifihearam: Na don jazzzy go suffer this break up allah

Sure about that? lets all wait, watch and see but for me D banj aint anybody without don jazzy.
Re: New Facts Emerge On Dbanj And Don Jazzy Split by Nobody: 11:54am On Apr 13, 2012
lacidi: I have a feeling this story was planted by D'Banj team. It is so one sided. The story was supposed to be from email correspondences between the two but reading through it, it is clear that it was more of someone stating his own position on an issue rather than an email corrspondence.

The story was skewed clearly to make Don Jazzy look bad. Lets wait for round 2.

You dey see clear BRo. THUMBS UP

Re: New Facts Emerge On Dbanj And Don Jazzy Split by honeric01(m): 11:57am On Apr 13, 2012
gboss4sure:

Sure about that? lets all wait, watch and see but for me D banj aint anybody without don jazzy.

stop this mindset, NO ONE IS NOBODY..
Re: New Facts Emerge On Dbanj And Don Jazzy Split by HumanPsycho(m): 12:00pm On Apr 13, 2012
successful dudes are discussing how they will share their assests, you guys are busy helping them analyse...... Kobo go reach me

Re: New Facts Emerge On Dbanj And Don Jazzy Split by buJu234: 12:03pm On Apr 13, 2012
This is the major reason why partnership businesses hardly survive in Nigeria. Nigerian Factor of GREED.. (only me & my family; every other person can go to hell)

check every where in Nigeria; they are all solo solo biz; like Eze & sons Ltd; Adebayo & sons Ltd etc..

WHY WHY WHY....

check Apple; Microsoft etc all grew with the power of partnership; because no is an Island.

I think what they should have done was either to sell the Record company then share the profits;
or give it to a management firm; who will b sending profits to them...
Re: New Facts Emerge On Dbanj And Don Jazzy Split by MrGlobe(m): 12:05pm On Apr 13, 2012
Whoever still reads punch tho. A paper known for so much tribalism. They couldn't even be professional enough to hide the fact they were trying to disparage don jazzy. This junk report is laced with tribalism, to support their yoruba no talent own. Was it not punch that the editor was caught collecting bribes from politicians. And DBANJ WAS NEVER SIGNED TO GOOD MUSIC. It was just a partnership which he PAID FOR!! You cannot pay somebody money to sign you, its the other way round. Rag newspaper, rag news, rag reporter, rag trib

Re: New Facts Emerge On Dbanj And Don Jazzy Split by davades(m): 12:13pm On Apr 13, 2012
Bur makes ppl think Don JaZzy funded Mo Hits? Thumbs up Dbanj! tongue

Khloe Rants Over Cee-c And Leo's Date After Being Mocked / WWE Legend, Dynamite Kid Dies Of Injuries / Tboss Looks Stunning In New Year Photoshoot (pics)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 69