Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,755 members, 7,817,090 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 04:28 AM

Sunday Okpere Built A Vehicle Called ‘Rock Auto’ - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Sunday Okpere Built A Vehicle Called ‘Rock Auto’ (12172 Views)

Why Do Nigerians Avoid Diesel Cars When Buying A Vehicle? / What Will Happen To The Odometer Of A Vehicle If The Engine Is Replaced??? / The Implications Of Buying A Vehicle With High Odometer Reading? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Sunday Okpere Built A Vehicle Called ‘Rock Auto’ by bilms(m): 6:04pm On Apr 13, 2012
A Nigerian worker has built a vehicle from old car parts and scrap metal according to the link of Oluyinka Jolaolu. The creator, Sunday Okpere, hopes the vehicle can compete favourably against other international models sold in the country. The vehicle he named ‘Rock Auto’ was cruised on the street of Lagos and runs more or less like any other car and capable of reaching speeds of up to 100 kilometres per hour, he says it is also capable of navigating the city's pot holes and flooded roads during the rainy season just like many other vehicles.

Okpere says his interest in building vehicles began when he was a child, making toy cars from discarded tins and wires for his friends at school. Decades later, he decided to unveil his first moving vehicle. Sunday Okpere said, "There are a lot of things in my brain, because what I am thinking of now is how to build a car for the masses that will be cheap transport." Actually, Sunday Okpere has the same thing in common with Henry Ford and The wright brothers; that is vision and commitment to that vision regardless of all odds.

The dream of Sunday Okpere is not that difficult to accomplish if our society can really support him. After all Henry Ford had the same dream and determination to build a simple, reliable and affordable car; a car the average American worker could afford. Out of this determination came the Model T and the assembly line - two innovations that revolutionized American society and moulded the world we live in today. Henry Ford did not invent the car, and nobody believed him then; but he produced an automobile that was within the economic reach of the average American.

My question is can this be a pride of our nation in disguise? Can this lead to an industrial revolution? How come we don’t see this breaking news in any Nigeria newspaper that we only read it in china.org.cn? Hmmmm, in a nation where we cannot generate our own electricity, manufacture tooth picks, or produce clean water for our breweries, this is an outstanding achievement.

People like Okpere need our support, we can’t continue to say na lie, na lie with every opportunity that presents itself to us. We need to find way to invest on these kinds of projects; even if we waste the money; let us give them a try; that will wake up the creativities sense of our youths. They are very brilliant and have billion Naira ideas; they just need a chance to pursue them.

It is notoriously difficult to create something out of nothing. It is always much easier to turn something into something else. We are all born blessed with powers of transformation. We often underestimate these; that is the reason we are not as creative as we could be. But if we encourage their little imagination, this may be the beginning of our growth and development. To achieve this, our leaders just have to think a little harder, work a little harder to make things work for us; enough of self doubting.

We need to motivate our youths; motivation is a wonderful thing. It is when they feel inspired, enthusiastic and hopeful; they can do what might otherwise seem far too difficult. They can go that extra mile. They can turn that crucial corner. The fact is when we don't feel quite so positive? Then we have to work on ways to be less negative!

We need to take an inventory of our existence; think of all that we could have achieved. What about the talents that we have wasted? Do we have reason for regret? Absolutely not; but we do have reason to look more carefully at what is in front of us now. It could turn out to be our turning point!
Re: Sunday Okpere Built A Vehicle Called ‘Rock Auto’ by Beaf: 6:29pm On Apr 13, 2012

4 Likes

Re: Sunday Okpere Built A Vehicle Called ‘Rock Auto’ by experts: 6:45pm On Apr 13, 2012
good one
Re: Sunday Okpere Built A Vehicle Called ‘Rock Auto’ by Nobody: 7:19pm On Apr 13, 2012
Great! reminds one of Pi.mp my Ride!
It looks like the oldies.
I think he can actualy perform magic if given some financial backings in form of loans.
Re: Sunday Okpere Built A Vehicle Called ‘Rock Auto’ by experts: 7:51pm On Apr 13, 2012
true
Re: Sunday Okpere Built A Vehicle Called ‘Rock Auto’ by greentea1: 7:57pm On Apr 13, 2012
Re: Sunday Okpere Built A Vehicle Called ‘Rock Auto’ by Callotti: 7:10am On Apr 14, 2012
Has it driven from Aba to Onitsha for a test-drive yet?
Abi e still dey for museum? cheesy

3 Likes

Re: Sunday Okpere Built A Vehicle Called ‘Rock Auto’ by Nobody: 7:28am On Apr 14, 2012
Good one but to what end because we all know it ends here.
Re: Sunday Okpere Built A Vehicle Called ‘Rock Auto’ by james1(m): 7:35am On Apr 14, 2012
Nice one.
The vehicle can move from lagos to where ever;it is built with metal sheets,not fibre.that makes it heavy and balanced.it is very fast.
I have driven in it many times.
People like sunday are encouraged in other parts of the world,wise investors should invest in people like this.
You want to confirm,test drive the vehicle(ROCK AUTO)OR SUPPORT SUNDAY OKPERE.call him on 08034872066.
Sunday is also a seriously experienced mechanic,he is got the midas touch when it comes to vehicle fixing.he is an extremely intelligent youngman.
Re: Sunday Okpere Built A Vehicle Called ‘Rock Auto’ by Nobody: 8:42am On Apr 14, 2012
Mu he he he he he he he! Another scrap metal car again ooooo! This wan na Autonov 5 by Ogunjobi jnr. But where is the video of it driving? I'm not content with its glossy pictures posing beside Sweet Sensation. Take it to Gombe-Adamawa road and test it there. If it survives the 2 hour bumpy ride without falling apart, then I can connect him to Ford motors.

But before that, mu he he he he he! grin

1 Like

Re: Sunday Okpere Built A Vehicle Called ‘Rock Auto’ by Callotti: 10:16am On Apr 14, 2012
Disu 'Keke na hot red PEPE' motto don reach front page?

As the Bini pipo go tok. . . .O ba vbahn! cheesy

O BE WA WOOOO OOOOH!!!!

O gie vbehn!
Re: Sunday Okpere Built A Vehicle Called ‘Rock Auto’ by LEXYLOV: 10:38am On Apr 14, 2012
Good one Bros, May God bless you for this cool inventory. Please let us know the price so that i can purchase one when I come home to be taking to nearby restaurants and the beaches.
Re: Sunday Okpere Built A Vehicle Called ‘Rock Auto’ by deandavid(m): 10:40am On Apr 14, 2012
my qtn is ll nigerians buy nigerian made cars?
Re: Sunday Okpere Built A Vehicle Called ‘Rock Auto’ by stanogb(m): 10:41am On Apr 14, 2012
Now let our ministers patronize him... grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin
Re: Sunday Okpere Built A Vehicle Called ‘Rock Auto’ by gulfer: 10:45am On Apr 14, 2012
Innoson, a Nigerian auto company should take up his design, fine-tune and assemble here than all these Chinese patronage they are into. They can the call it SUNNYSON EX5 whatever! grin grin

3 Likes

Re: Sunday Okpere Built A Vehicle Called ‘Rock Auto’ by slam7000(m): 10:53am On Apr 14, 2012
HAS IS IT GOT AIR BAG?
Re: Sunday Okpere Built A Vehicle Called ‘Rock Auto’ by wordychap: 10:58am On Apr 14, 2012
bravo!!! more of this on nairaland!
Re: Sunday Okpere Built A Vehicle Called ‘Rock Auto’ by Lollysbride: 11:08am On Apr 14, 2012
I also think he can actualy perform magic if given some financial backings in form of loans.[img]http://www.demama.info/hjk[/img]
Re: Sunday Okpere Built A Vehicle Called ‘Rock Auto’ by Nobody: 11:13am On Apr 14, 2012
I really don't know how this car is gonna compete.
Re: Sunday Okpere Built A Vehicle Called ‘Rock Auto’ by damola1: 11:22am On Apr 14, 2012
Re: Sunday Okpere Built A Vehicle Called ‘Rock Auto’ by nonny99(m): 11:33am On Apr 14, 2012
there is still hope for nigeria
Re: Sunday Okpere Built A Vehicle Called ‘Rock Auto’ by Nobody: 11:40am On Apr 14, 2012
Another Mobile coffin from our biafran folks.I hope afam will be able to afford this one since he cant afford a keke napep. grin grin
Re: Sunday Okpere Built A Vehicle Called ‘Rock Auto’ by highland(m): 11:42am On Apr 14, 2012
Great development.
Green world offers opportunity in health and supplement. View my profile for more.
Re: Sunday Okpere Built A Vehicle Called ‘Rock Auto’ by Templa(m): 11:56am On Apr 14, 2012
good job....buh which century is dis guy?
Re: Sunday Okpere Built A Vehicle Called ‘Rock Auto’ by lanrock(m): 12:09pm On Apr 14, 2012
laugh, wondaful shall neva end.
u guy tried but av test it from lagos to abuja.
moreover, take it to trade fair @ abuja
Re: Sunday Okpere Built A Vehicle Called ‘Rock Auto’ by mkmyers45(m): 12:17pm On Apr 14, 2012
pDude: Mu he he he he he he he! Another scrap metal car again ooooo! This wan na Autonov 5 by Ogunjobi jnr. But where is the video of it driving? I'm not content with its glossy pictures posing beside Sweet Sensation. Take it to Gombe-Adamawa road and test it there. If it survives the 2 hour bumpy ride without falling apart, then I can connect him to Ford motors.

But before that, mu he he he he he! grin
lol @Adamawa-Gombe road..the road don good sha
Re: Sunday Okpere Built A Vehicle Called ‘Rock Auto’ by Nobody: 12:23pm On Apr 14, 2012
Templa: good job....buh which century is dis guy?

Lwkmd. . . .is this 'thing' not better than okada ?
Re: Sunday Okpere Built A Vehicle Called ‘Rock Auto’ by chucky234(m): 12:31pm On Apr 14, 2012
Great!!! Big things start small and I think this guy will go places with the right support.
People saying awful things about this car should know that Ford,BMW,Toyota,Honda and GMC first cars were not as good as this.
They started with crapy car like the one above and grow with intent till they arrived at the sophisticated cars we drive today, kudos Sunday.

1 Like

Re: Sunday Okpere Built A Vehicle Called ‘Rock Auto’ by k10: 12:32pm On Apr 14, 2012
naija babes no go enter oooo
Re: Sunday Okpere Built A Vehicle Called ‘Rock Auto’ by amosy007: 12:40pm On Apr 14, 2012
gulfer: Innoson, a Nigerian auto company should take up his design, fine-tune and assemble here than all these Chinese patronage they are into. They can the call it SUNNYSON EX5 whatever! grin grin
gbam! Atleast it cn form one of these tata cars
Re: Sunday Okpere Built A Vehicle Called ‘Rock Auto’ by malc619(m): 12:49pm On Apr 14, 2012
~Bluetooth:

Another Mobile coffin from our biafran folks.I hope afam will be able to afford this one since he cant afford a keke napep. grin grin
You be winsh?? You nor go try support d guy ministry grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin

LEXYLOV: Good one Bros, May God bless you for this cool inventory. Please let us know the price so that i can purchase one when I come home to be taking to nearby restaurants and the beaches.
O boy!!! Wetin be inventory Na invention. Go buy "Brighter Grammar" and "Michael West" Dictionary to Upgrade ur ministry. grin grin grin cheesy cheesy grin

Callotti: Disu [b]'Keke na hot red PEPE' [/b]motto don reach front page?

As the Bini pipo go tok. . . .O ba vbahn! cheesy

O BE WA WOOOO OOOOH!!!!

O gie vbehn!
Laugh wan make my blokos explode grin grin grin
Re: Sunday Okpere Built A Vehicle Called ‘Rock Auto’ by tEsLim(m): 12:50pm On Apr 14, 2012
What options does it comes with?

Will need full option with airbags and powered windows. Wont mind cruise control for traveling to the village

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

How Carburetor Works Within The Fuel System / Infiniti QX4 2001 To 2003 Owners And Prospective Owners Let`s Talk Here / Which One Is Faster Automatic Or Manual Gear Transmission?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 33
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.