Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,829 members, 7,810,185 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 10:47 PM

Quran: A Work Of Art: Subjective Or Unanimous? - Islam for Muslims - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Islam for Muslims / Quran: A Work Of Art: Subjective Or Unanimous? (1458 Views)

The Quran Testifies: David And Elizabeth Worshiped Jesus As God! / Stories From The Quran- Moses and Pharaoh / Does The Quran Permit Suicide? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Quran: A Work Of Art: Subjective Or Unanimous? by tbaba1234: 8:02pm On Apr 13, 2012
Re: Quran: A Work Of Art: Subjective Or Unanimous? by tbaba1234: 8:24pm On Apr 13, 2012
Re: Quran: A Work Of Art: Subjective Or Unanimous? by tbaba1234: 8:27pm On Apr 13, 2012
Re: Quran: A Work Of Art: Subjective Or Unanimous? by tbaba1234: 8:32pm On Apr 13, 2012
Re: Quran: A Work Of Art: Subjective Or Unanimous? by tbaba1234: 8:36pm On Apr 13, 2012
Re: Quran: A Work Of Art: Subjective Or Unanimous? by tbaba1234: 8:39pm On Apr 13, 2012
Re: Quran: A Work Of Art: Subjective Or Unanimous? by tbaba1234: 8:46pm On Apr 13, 2012
Re: Quran: A Work Of Art: Subjective Or Unanimous? by emofine2(f): 10:23am On Apr 14, 2012
I actually haven’t watched the videos yet so my early response may have no correlation with the videos or perhaps my rhetorical questions have been addressed. However I was struck by the question.

This is actually a rather good question - the wordings that is. Because if art is subjective then is there a universal truth to art? Or better yet is there one truth that holds for any art? Thus how does this affect one spiritually?

I’ll watch those videos shortly.
Re: Quran: A Work Of Art: Subjective Or Unanimous? by tbaba1234: 5:24pm On Apr 14, 2012
The speaker tries to show a few of the literary subtlety of the Quran. Making a discussion on whether this is God's word is left to individuals.

Tell me what you think about it?
Re: Quran: A Work Of Art: Subjective Or Unanimous? by tbaba1234: 5:13am On May 02, 2012
Re: Quran: A Work Of Art: Subjective Or Unanimous? by tbaba1234: 5:13am On May 02, 2012
Re: Quran: A Work Of Art: Subjective Or Unanimous? by emofine2(f): 10:58am On May 05, 2012
tbaba1234: The speaker tries to show a few of the literary subtlety of the Quran. Making a discussion on whether this is God's word is left to individuals.

Tell me what you think about it?

Orature is an art.

Literature is an art.

Language is an art.

Art is subjective thus not everybody will comprehend or appreciate the Qu'aran or consider the article as a sole work of truth. But there are truths in art.

But I find it intriguing that if there is one god, one truth, one absolute answer then can an objective answer be conveyed in one truth via a subjective medium?

How do people arrive at one answer via a subjective tool?

Do not Jewish people take the maternal side thus Jesus is a Jew, right? @ 18:00 mins+

How different is this guy and his trajectory from another individual whose course was similar (i.e. philosophy/atheism etc) but decided to be an orthodox/Christian etc.
I ask because it was what he found substance in which would of course differ from person to person...are humans seeking for differing (personal) truths or universal truth? Does the truth have one colour alone?

P.S. I see you've updated. So I need to watch the last couple of vids you've embedded because I reviewed the other vids a few weeks back before structuring my response. By the way Tbaba what do you think about philosophy?
Re: Quran: A Work Of Art: Subjective Or Unanimous? by tbaba1234: 1:42pm On May 05, 2012
emöfine2:

Orature is an art.

Literature is an art.

Language is an art.

Art is subjective thus not everybody will comprehend or appreciate the Qu'aran or consider the article as a sole work of truth. But there are truths in art.

But I find it intriguing that if there is one god, one truth, one absolute answer then can an objective answer be conveyed in one truth via a subjective medium?

How do people arrive at one answer via a subjective tool?

Do not Jewish people take the maternal side thus Jesus is a Jew, right? @ 18:00 mins+

How different is this guy and his trajectory from another individual whose course was similar (i.e. philosophy/atheism etc) but decided to be an orthodox/Christian etc.
I ask because it was what he found substance in which would of course differ from person to person...are humans seeking for differing (personal) truths or universal truth? Does the truth have one colour alone?

P.S. I see you've updated. So I need to watch the last couple of vids you've embedded because I reviewed the other vids a few weeks back before structuring my response. By the way Tbaba what do you think about philosophy?

Literature can be subjective, yes

I will argue that it does not take a literary genius to recognize the beauty of the Quran any one with a rudimentary knowledge of classical arabic would see it.. We simply have to look at the earliest recipients to understand why..

Can you tell the difference when an eloquent person is speaking and when a 3 year old is speaking? Compared to pre Islamic literature, that is what the Quran brings and it came from a man who was unskilled in the arts, the Quran called him the unlettered...

The style of the prophet speeches and the Quran are not even comparable... How does one speak in two distinctly different styles for 23 years?

The Quran came upon a people whose major asset was their language; ... There were eminent poets, there were revered by the population.. Many of the pre-Islamic poetry still exist today..

... One of the last accusations they made of the Quran was that it was magic!! They had exhausted all of their accusations and they ended up with, it was magic... Why do you think they will say that? Does it sound like a reaction from subjectivity or there was something they could not explain?

The Quran challenged the Arabs:

“Say: ‘If all mankind and the jinn would come together to produce the like of this Quran, they could not produce its like even though they exerted all and their strength in aiding one another.’” (Quran 17:88)

It also says:

“Or do they say that he has invented it? Say (to them), ‘Bring ten invented chapters like it, and call (for help) on whomever you can besides God, if you are truthful.” (Quran 11:13)

Then it says:

“And if you all are in doubt about what I have revealed to My servant, bring a single chapter like it, and call your witnesses besides God if you are truthful.” (Quran 2:23)

The Muslims and the disbelievers were engaged in years of conflict and war that would have never happened if they produced three lines (shortest chapter) like the Quran because it would have totally discredited the Prophet (SAW) and ended Islam's growth.

A man called Utbah was once sent to the prophet to offer him wealth to give up his message; The prophet responded by reciting some verses... Utbah went back to his people saying

I have heard a discourse the like of which I had never heard before. Ill swear to God, O Quraysh, that it is neither poetry, nor spell, nor witchcraft. Take my advice and leave this man alone.

Now even his enemies were astounded by the speech of the Quran and could not replicate it: The only definitions they could come with are witchcraft and magic...

Does that sound like a subjective assessment or they saw something special?

The Quran has dismantled every contention i could ever have about faith and i am still an elementary student of it... the precision of word choice is one thing; Lets talk a little about quantity...

The Quran says:

Surah 3:59

Truly, the likeness of Jesus, in God's sight, is as Adam's likeness; He created him of dust, then said He unto him, 'Be,' and he was..

Now this is a pretty simple statement... but do you also know that in the Quran Jesus and Adam are mentioned exactly 25 times.... So not only are they the same in the sense of their creation, there are also same in terms of their number...

Remember this was an oral revelation, not written....

The Jewish tribes are named according to the male not the female: Semitic traditions identify themselves as sons of their father....

Modern Jewish identity has undergone changes due to historical events, a quick historical study of ancient semitic cultures show why Jesus will say that.

Read: Gender and the Shaping of Modern Jewish Identities Paula E. Hyma

1. Literature is subjective, but anyone with a knowledge of arabic will at least give the Quran props for eloquence...

2. Put in the circumstances of revelation: an unlettered prophet (with no training) stumping the most eloquent people of his time...

3. The numerous 'coincidences' and facts that could not possibly be known at the time.

4. It was all revealed orally.

It becomes less and less subjective when it is looked at thoroughly

We believe as Muslims that truth is objective and can be sought: That is why everything must be backed by evidenced even faith..

As regards a philosophical discovery of truth, we can talk about that: we do believe that our beliefs are based on rational grounds...
Re: Quran: A Work Of Art: Subjective Or Unanimous? by emofine2(f): 2:59pm On May 05, 2012
tbaba1234: I will argue that it does not take a literary genius to recognize the beauty of the Quran any one with a rudimentary knowledge of classical arabic would see it.. We simply have to look at the earliest recipients to understand why..

Yes I bet it doesn't. But what about the Bible or Torah or even the Veda?
Does beauty reveal truth?

The Quran challenged the Arabs:

“Say: ‘If all mankind and the jinn would come together to produce the like of this Quran, they could not produce its like even though they exerted all and their strength in aiding one another.’” (Quran 17:8

No offence but isn’t this pretty cocky?

Sure it’s a challenge but it reeks of smugness. I bet the people who posed such challenge at the time had not even read all literary articles before they concluded that the Qu’ran was apparently the best of them all.

Read: Gender and the Shaping of Modern Jewish Identities Paula E. Hyma

Will do, cheers.

2. Put in the circumstances of revelation: an unlettered prophet (with no training) stumping the most eloquent people of his time...

That’s like a young untrained artist surpassing the talent of that of the masters of his/her time. Extraordinary phenomena has occurred in various times and various forms.

As regards a philosophical discovery of truth, we can talk about that: we do believe that our beliefs are based on rational grounds...

Ok...when? smiley
Re: Quran: A Work Of Art: Subjective Or Unanimous? by emofine2(f): 3:08pm On May 05, 2012
tbaba1234: Quran: Why Arabic?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g7FcAy3KlbE&list=PL4E314305FD36766C&index=8&feature=plpp_video

...A way to spread dominance is through language and I’m sure the gentleman speaking knows this.

“The Arabs are not superior”...but having the “final revelation” conveyed solely via Arabic no doubt accords the Arabs a unique position. By the way which language(s) was the preceding revelation conveyed in?

So Arabic is a very “rich”, “nuanced” and “precise” language and apparently the most so in the history of any languages? Hhmm according to who?
But what about Greek? Or Latin?
These two languages are “rich”. So it still doesn't necessarily satisfy the question because if god then wanted to reveal the truth of itself in a rich and precise language then why not say...Greek or Latin?

The explanation that god merely employed Arabic because of it’s precision etc doesn't pale the fact that a language is part and parcel of one’s culture. Whether it was not gods intention to promote one culture over another doesn't eliminate the fact that it certainly has – of course not all aspects but facets of the Arabic culture.

It seems partial because it appears that a “powerful” being could not pervade societal barriers such as culture to reveal the truth of itself.

The message had to be “precise”, ok...

I understand that when one text is translated into another language it loses some essence. But if the message of god cannot be mapped out into other languages or relevant contexts due to the risk of loss in accuracy then that is not the deficiency or fault of such society but that in essence exposes a flaw or discrimination of some sort in god (after all we inherit what “he” has bestowed us with, “rich” language or not)...how can the truth of an all present being be limited and captured via one particular context?

In a way one could still consider it this way - the Italians were great artists for example...thus why didn't god reveal the truth of itself via Italian art?
The revelation had to be “precise”...but Master Artists like the Italians hailing from the Renaissance era were brilliant and skilled in capturing naturalism. Naturalism is that not precision, rich and nuanced?
The truth of an encompassing god doesn't necessarily have to be revealed by a specific “rich” “precise” “nuanced” language anyway...the truth could have also been revealed in addition through a “rich” “precise” “nuanced” music or art etc or is that too abstract? If so then it’s ironic because Islamic art is abstract.
Or if god could not have made the truth of itself manifest to all cultures precisely...could not god have employed a neutral medium that would not be seen to favour a particular populace?

So in order for me to fully understand the "truth" of Allah I have to learn (or memorize as some do) perfect Arabic because the truth is trapped in one context even though apparently god is supposed to be all pervading?

If I lost one of my senses then would I not still be able to receive data via any of my other capabilities?...The format and pattern of that data will be adapted to make up for that particular sense lost but if this data is only truthfully captured in one context alone and cannot be accurately or sufficiently relayed via other forms to the convenience of certain individuals then that individual through no fault of their own have lost out.
How does a blind person who has never had the sense of sight know how to paint clouds? How do they know of clouds? Because of what they have been told? Maybe...or maybe because of what they “sense” because without sight they were still able to “see”...without the knowledge of Arabic am I thus handicapped despite what I can sense?

The thing is...as pedantic as I am I can still look further at this “precise” medium and question why on earth are some fonts in the Quran printed bigger than others? Why are some fonts in different colours? But that doesn’t matter, right? Because essentially it’s all about the message. Thus if the “final revelation” was to be translated via Arabic, paint, recording or dance etc...the message should still be in tact or survive in other forms and not just one context alone because it actually limits its extension.
I understand that Muslims will try and preserve and protect the authenticity of that in which they call the “truth” but surely if one has faith in the being in which they call god then one should also trust that this god will never allow the truth to be hijacked because in its current context it appears exclusive and restricted.
Re: Quran: A Work Of Art: Subjective Or Unanimous? by tbaba1234: 7:32pm On May 05, 2012
emöfine2:
Yes I bet it doesn't. But what about the Bible or Torah or even the Veda?
Does beauty reveal truth?

Beauty in itself is not the measure of truth; The Quran is much more than just beauty...

No offence but isn’t this pretty cocky?

Sure it’s a challenge but it reeks of smugness. I bet the people who posed such challenge at the time had not even read all literary articles before they concluded that the Qu’ran was apparently the best of them all.

The Quran claims that its author is the creator/owner of the heavens and the earth...

Mankind and Jinn are just specs looking at that picture.... Do you still think, it is smug or is it just an authority putting you in your place?

It challenges people to come together, work together and come up with something like it........ The challenge is still open by the way... Now, we even have the blueprint.

That’s like a young untrained artist surpassing the talent of that of the masters of his/her time. Extraordinary phenomena has occurred in various times and various forms.

It is one thing to have an untrained student with raw talent showing extraordinary skill... It is another for that student to create something that none of the masters working individually or collectively could reproduce.

Have a look at Shakespeare; we have many replicas of shakespeare's work:

We have the blue print of the Quran and no one has come close to producing something like it; and it is not for a lack of trying::

No trials, no previous works, Just a masterpiece....

Ok...when?

Whenever you want..
Re: Quran: A Work Of Art: Subjective Or Unanimous? by emofine2(f): 9:52pm On May 05, 2012
^^^

I can see I have a lot to learn about Islam and the Qu’ran.

Whenever you want..

Hhmm can you start by telling me what you think of philosophy and what you believe it’s purpose is. I ask because of what the gentleman in the video said concerning (in his own observation/experience) a correlation between philosophy and those who oppose religion.

Do you think philosophy is a refuge for the irreligious?

By the way have you ever found some of the questions I’ve asked concerning Islam or even God offensive?
Re: Quran: A Work Of Art: Subjective Or Unanimous? by tbaba1234: 10:40pm On May 05, 2012
emöfine2:
...A way to spread dominance is through language and I’m sure the gentleman speaking knows this.

“The Arabs are not superior”...but having the “final revelation” conveyed solely via Arabic no doubt accords the Arabs a unique position. By the way which language(s) was the preceding revelation conveyed in?

So Arabic is a very “rich”, “nuanced” and “precise” language and apparently the most so in the history of any languages? Hhmm according to who?
But what about Greek? Or Latin?
These two languages are “rich”. So it still doesn't necessarily satisfy the question because if god then wanted to reveal the truth of itself in a rich and precise language then why not say...Greek or Latin?

The explanation that god merely employed Arabic because of it’s precision etc doesn't pale the fact that a language is part and parcel of one’s culture. Whether it was not gods intention to promote one culture over another doesn't eliminate the fact that it certainly has – of course not all aspects but facets of the Arabic culture.

It seems partial because it appears that a “powerful” being could not pervade societal barriers such as culture to reveal the truth of itself.

The message had to be “precise”, ok...

I understand that when one text is translated into another language it loses some essence. But if the message of god cannot be mapped out into other languages or relevant contexts due to the risk of loss in accuracy then that is not the deficiency or fault of such society but that in essence exposes a flaw or discrimination of some sort in god (after all we inherit what “he” has bestowed us with, “rich” language or not)...how can the truth of an all present being be limited and captured via one particular context?

In a way one could still consider it this way - the Italians were great artists for example...thus why didn't god reveal the truth of itself via Italian art?
The revelation had to be “precise”...but Master Artists like the Italians hailing from the Renaissance era were brilliant and skilled in capturing naturalism. Naturalism is that not precision, rich and nuanced?

The truth of an encompassing god doesn't necessarily have to be revealed by a specific “rich” “precise” “nuanced” language anyway...the truth could have also been revealed in addition through a “rich” “precise” “nuanced” music or art etc or is that too abstract? If so then it’s ironic because Islamic art is abstract.
Or if god could not have made the truth of itself manifest to all cultures precisely...could not god have employed a neutral medium that would not be seen to favour a particular populace?

So in order for me to fully understand the "truth" of Allah I have to learn (or memorize as some do) perfect Arabic because the truth is trapped in one context even though apparently god is supposed to be all pervading?

If I lost one of my senses then would I not still be able to receive data via any of my other capabilities?...The format and pattern of that data will be adapted to make up for that particular sense lost but if this data is only truthfully captured in one context alone and cannot be accurately or sufficiently relayed via other forms to the convenience of certain individuals then that individual through no fault of their own have lost out.
How does a blind person who has never had the sense of sight know how to paint clouds? How do they know of clouds? Because of what they have been told? Maybe...or maybe because of what they “sense” because without sight they were still able to “see”...without the knowledge of Arabic am I thus handicapped despite what I can sense?

The thing is...as pedantic as I am I can still look further at this “precise” medium and question why on earth are some fonts in the Quran printed bigger than others? Why are some fonts in different colours? But that doesn’t matter, right? Because essentially it’s all about the message. Thus if the “final revelation” was to be translated via Arabic, paint, recording or dance etc...the message should still be in tact or survive in other forms and not just one context alone because it actually limits its extension.

I understand that Muslims will try and preserve and protect the authenticity of that in which they call the “truth” but surely if one has faith in the being in which they call god then one should also trust that this god will never allow the truth to be hijacked because in its current context it appears exclusive and restricted.

Pre-islamic Mecca was locked between two great empires: the roman (byzantine) empire and the persian empire. None of these empires wanted anything to do with this wasteland(desert), It was of no benefit to them..

This isolation led to a sophistication of the Arabic language because there were locked away from the 'outside world'. Such that the language became the highest level of sophistication, art and culture. It was their source of entertainment, their source of pride...

At the peak of that, the Quran was revealed;

Over time, as Islam spread to other nations and the arabs mixed with people of other tribes and languages, the quality of their spoken language declined. just like my native language has declined in my stay in the US.

So what the meccan Arab understood by the Quran is much deeper than what a standard Arabic speaker today understands..

But Classical Arabic has been preserved, we have books written on the classical arabic from the earlier days of Islam...

So not only do we have the book in its original language; we have the depths of its meaning present with us. The language in its depth has been preserved and by extension the depth of its message.

Not many languages have that much depth of the language preserved, not greek, not latin, not hebrew.... They have been watered down by history...

As muslims, we believe that messengers was sent to every nation in the language of his people:

Jesus for instance spoke Aramaic; but aramaic is a dead language and there isn't a single aramaic manuscript..

It is the same for every messenger, they spoke in the language of their people and some of the languages they spoke in are dead languages now. Arabic has been preserved because its original message was for the whole of humanity. It is important that no matter how much it gets translated, you can always refer to the original to get the full context.

So the truth had been revealed to many nations before the arabs; and elements of the truth exist in many traditions and cultures but the languages and message were meant for a time, a place and a people... so sometimes the language is lost and the message is lost or corrupted. On the other hand, the Quran in its language, context and recitation has been preserved. It is the last message and needed to be preserved.

Allah promised in the Quran that He would take on the responsibility of protecting His final word from loss. He said, "Verily I have revealed the Reminder (Quran), and verily I shall preserve it." (Surah al-Hijr (15):9)

Thus, the Quran has been preserved in both the oral as well as written form in a way no other religious book in history has.

Why did Allah preserve the Quran and allow His earlier books of divine revelation to be changed or lost?

The answer to that question lies in the following three facts:

1. The earlier prophets and their books were sent to a particular people in particular periods of history. Once the period ended, a new prophet was sent with a new book (message) to replace the previous book. So, it was not necessary that these books be preserved by Allah. The preservation of the earlier books was left up to the people as a test for them. Thus, when the people went astray, they changed what was written in the books which their prophets brought in order to make allowable the things which were forbidden to them. In that way, all of the earlier books of revelation became either changed or lost.

2. Prophet Muhammad (peace be upon him) was the last prophet whom Allah sent, and he was not sent to a particular people or a particular time. He was sent to all of mankind until the end of the world. Allah said in the Quran,

"I have only sent you (Muhammad) as a giver of glad tidings and a warner to all mankind, but most men do not understand."
[Noble Quran 34:28]

Thus, his book of revelation, the Quran, had to be specially preserved from any form of change or loss so that it would be available to all the generations of man until the last day of the world.

3. The Quran was the main miracle given to Prophet Muhammad (peace be upon him) to prove that he was a true prophet of Allah and not an imposter. So, the Quran had to be saved to prove to the later generations that Muhammad (peace be upon him) was really the last prophet of Allah. All of the false prophets who came after Prophet Muhammad (peace be upon him) brought books which they claimed to be revealed from Allah, but none of them have the miraculous ability to be memorized by thousands, nor have they improved on the message of the Quran. The significance of the Quran's preservation is that Islam has been kept in its original purity because of it. Humanity can always return to the sources of Islam no matter what people may have added or forgotten in time. All of the essential principles of Islam are to be found in the Quran. Consequently, the preservation of the Quran meant the preservation of Islam in its final form. The loss of the Gospel of Jesus means that Christians can never return to the true teachings of Prophet Jesus except by accepting Islam. Similarly, the original Torah was lost when Solomon's Temple in Jerusalem was destroyed by the Babylonians. Thus, the Jews cannot return to the pure teachings of Prophet Moses except by following Islam. It is only in Islam that the pure teachings of the prophets have been preserved without any change.

Language is part of the culture of a people; and many muslims have arabic as a second language anyways.. over 80% of muslims are not arab by the way and most do not speak the language.. Nouman ali khan in the video is not arab.

I do not see any arab superiority, when i go to the mosque, i can lead a group of arabs in salat(prayer) in their own language as a black african. We eat different foods, have different taste and i will not be speaking arabic after prayer except maybe small phrases.

Trust me, translating the classical arabic of the Quran into the english language is an impossible task... you maybe have to write a sentence or two for some words and passages for others.. but the language has been preserved to the extent that all you need are a few classical arabic dictionary today to have a better understanding.

So why arabic for the final message?

The Quran was revealed to a people at the peak of their eloquence with all the nuances of the language intact.

could a different language have been used to pass the message? Probably, but whatever language was used: Could it possibly have matched the arabic language in its nuances and precision at the time of the revelation? We believe that this is from the wisdom of the creator...

It does not erode your cultures/traditions except the ones that conflict with Islam.. It reformed many of the Arab cultures at the time as well..

It presents a message that you can get a sense of, even in a different language, that is why we have translations; It is simple message: There is only one God, no partners, no mates, no sons....He is the master/owner of all that exists..... Worship him on his terms....

Where is the exclusivity when most adherents are not even arab?

As regards learning/memorizing the Quran: Allah says:

And We have indeed made the Qur'an easy to understand and remember: then is there any that will receive admonition? (Q 54:17)

I believe the creator....

Talking of blind people

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q9vE47VvQ0Y
Re: Quran: A Work Of Art: Subjective Or Unanimous? by emofine2(f): 8:26pm On May 06, 2012
Just to be clear, when I talk of “context” I’m not making reference to the medium alone but the tool in relation to the period of it's formation, setting, society etc. Because when one reads the Qu’ran or any other “holy” book for that matter one has to understand or be careful to quote particular passages or verse(s) “in context”.
So seeing as the revelation which happened a very long time ago has been meticulously preserved I wonder are all laws and tenets that governed the people/society back then still relevant in today in an ever changing world?

Where is the exclusivity when most adherents are not even arab?

The exclusivity comes from having to apply and learn Arabic in order to capture the full essence of the revelation which is solely fixed in classic Arabic and apparently cannot be mapped out or translated precisely into other contextual forms. Despite there being a vast number of Muslims (many of which that are non-Arabs) have you or any other Muslims considered how much more “Muslims” there could have been in the world if the “truth” of the final revelation wasn't locked in only one context?

Talking of blind people

That’s nice but just to clarify I was using blindness as an analogy.
Re: Quran: A Work Of Art: Subjective Or Unanimous? by tbaba1234: 3:19am On May 07, 2012
emöfine2: Just to be clear, when I talk of “context” I’m not making reference to the medium alone but the tool in relation to the period of it's formation, setting, society etc. Because when one reads the Qu’ran or any other “holy” book for that matter one has to understand or be careful to quote particular passages or verse(s) “in context”.
So seeing as the revelation which happened a very long time ago has been meticulously preserved I wonder are all laws and tenets that governed the people/society back then still relevant in today in an ever changing world?

It is very important to understand the context of revelation; Many Quranic translations come with some form of commentary... Laws explicitly stated in the Quran are not tied to any time period because the Quran is for eternal guidance. The Quran for instance says stay away from intoxicants (alcohol and drugs)or adultery. That will never change, no matter what changes in society.

The laws in Islam are dynamic;

Actions are divided into 5

1.Mandatory (wajib) 2.Preferable (mustahab) 3.Permissible (mubah) 4.Disliked (makrooh) 5.Forbidden (haram)

Only the Mandatory and the forbidden have fixed rules on them:: The mandatory must be done.... The forbidden must be avoided

The preferable, permissible and disliked carry no punishment(or sin) for non-compliance... So it is not just black and white...

As societies change... We face new things that our predecessors did not face... There are five maxims based on the Quran in which Islamic Jurispudence is based on:

1- Actions are viewed in light of the doers conscious intention.

2- Certainty is not negated by doubt

3- Hardship necessitates the provision of concession

4- No harm and no reciprocation of harm

5- Local custom is given consideration

Islamic Legislation is made based on 4 principle sources:

1. Allah, via the Quran.
2. Prophet (saw), via authentic narrations called Hadith which establish the Sunnah.
3. Ijma, the consensus of the Sahaba (companions of the prophet) and the Salaf (Righteous predecessors) and Scholars.
4. Qiyas, derivation of hukm from analogy—this is left for qualified scholars. (This is when scholars of Islamic Sharee’yah establish an understanding by looking at something similar to the issue, or to the opposite of it. )

Every ruling is backed with evidence from the Quran and the hadith...

The exclusivity comes from having to apply and learn Arabic in order to capture the full essence of the revelation which is solely fixed in classic Arabic and apparently cannot be mapped out or translated precisely into other contextual forms. Despite there being a vast number of Muslims (many of which that are non-Arabs) have you or any other Muslims considered how much more “Muslims” there could have been in the world if the “truth” of the final revelation wasn't locked in only one context?

Not every tribe has the tools to capture the entire context of the Quranic revelation.... As regards translations, Semitic languages have a different structure and rules to non-semitic languages.. a perfect translation is impossible.

However, Islam is universally attainable; It is not confined to any one people, place or period of time. Whenever one comes to the realization that God is one, distinct from His creation and submits himself to God... He becomes a muslim in body and spirit.

Consequently anyone from the most remote parts of the world can become muslim, simply be rejecting the worship of creation and turning to God alone... And he trys his best to stay away from evil..

For those, who never hear of Islam,

Allah says in the Quran:

"And We never punish until We have sent a Messenger (to give warning)."
[al-Israa' 17:15]

A person who never heard of Islam in the right way will not be punished for disbelief. Allah will decide what happens to them on the last day. They will be tested to see their suitability for paradise..

Every time a group is cast therein [into Hell], its keeper will ask, "Did no warner come to you?" They will say, "Yes indeed; a warner did come to us, but we belied him and said: 'Allaah never sent down anything (of revelation), you are only in great error.'"' [al-Mulk 67:8]

Also the past nations that believed in the oneness of God, the last day and in the prophets have nothing to fear::

Verily those who believe, and those who are Judaised, and the Nazarenes, and the Sabians, - whosoever, believeth in Allah and the Last Day and worketh righteously, these! unto them shall be their hire with their Lord, no fear shall come on them nor shall they grieve. (Q 2:61)

That’s nice but just to clarify I was using blindness as an analogy.

hehe, i know
Re: Quran: A Work Of Art: Subjective Or Unanimous? by tbaba1234: 7:42am On May 07, 2012
emöfine2: ^^^

Hhmm can you start by telling me what you think of philosophy and what you believe it’s purpose is. I ask because of what the gentleman in the video said concerning (in his own observation/experience) a correlation between philosophy and those who oppose religion.

Do you think philosophy is a refuge for the irreligious?

By the way have you ever found some of the questions I’ve asked concerning Islam or even God offensive?

Philosophy basically draws conclusions to life's questions using rational thought. What i think of it? I have no problems with philosophical thinking... The Quran in many places urges its reader to reflect.. to think , to reason... Have a look at these ayahs(verses)

Or do they say, “He has made it up”? Rather, they do not believe.
Then let them produce a statement like it, if they should be truthful.
Or were they created by nothing, or were they the creators [of themselves]?
Or did they create the heavens and the earth? Rather, they are not certain.
(Q 52 33-36)

Then do they not reflect upon the Qur’an If it had been from [any] other than God, they would have found within it much contradiction. (Quran 4:81)

It asks the tough questions, it wants its reader to end up with faith based on reason...

Modern philosophical thought generally classify all religions as myths with no rational basis... But muslims beg to differ... Ours is an intellectual civilization... so yes philosophy is a refuge for the irreligious

It is good to ask questions...

Are the questions about Islam offensive?

Not at all, The Quran asks people to bring their evidence against the book:

Islam has all the answers...

Are the questions about God offensive?

No, but sometimes i think you ask the wrong questions.

One Request: Pray sincerely, ask the creator of all that exists to guide you to truth and you will find it.
Re: Quran: A Work Of Art: Subjective Or Unanimous? by tbaba1234: 11:19am On May 08, 2012
Re: Quran: A Work Of Art: Subjective Or Unanimous? by tbaba1234: 11:29am On May 08, 2012
Re: Quran: A Work Of Art: Subjective Or Unanimous? by tbaba1234: 11:33am On May 08, 2012
Re: Quran: A Work Of Art: Subjective Or Unanimous? by tbaba1234: 11:38am On May 08, 2012
Re: Quran: A Work Of Art: Subjective Or Unanimous? by tbaba1234: 5:21am On May 16, 2012
Re: Quran: A Work Of Art: Subjective Or Unanimous? by tbaba1234: 6:48am On May 20, 2012
Re: Quran: A Work Of Art: Subjective Or Unanimous? by tbaba1234: 7:47am On May 21, 2012
Re: Quran: A Work Of Art: Subjective Or Unanimous? by tbaba1234: 6:29am On May 31, 2012
Re: Quran: A Work Of Art: Subjective Or Unanimous? by tbaba1234: 10:10am On Jun 11, 2012

(1) (Reply)

How To Perform Salat-l-istikhara / Mut' Ah Marriage? / Nafilat Shafri And Witri.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 120
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.