Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,480 members, 7,819,752 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 10:21 PM

Single Term - There Was Never Any Pact Between Jonathan, Northern Leaders - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Single Term - There Was Never Any Pact Between Jonathan, Northern Leaders (1494 Views)

Don’t Arrest Jonathan – Northern CAN Warns Buhari / North Moves Against Jonathan: Northern Pro-jonathan Governors Get Threat Message / Jonathan, Northern Governors In Closed-door Meeting At Obasanjo’s Residence (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Single Term - There Was Never Any Pact Between Jonathan, Northern Leaders by Beaf: 8:53pm On Apr 15, 2012
[size=14pt]2015 - 'No Pact Between Jonathan, Northern Leaders'[/size]
By Isola Balogun, 15 April 2012

For Northern leaders in the Peoples Democratic Party (PDP) rooting for a party member from the North to succeed President Goodluck Jonathan in 2015, it is time for a rethink as it has been revealed that there is no such agreement holding the president to any promise.

This revelation came just as the Congress for Progressive Change (CPC) indicated that its national leader, Major General Muhammadu Buhari, is interested in the 2015 presidential race.

The CPC said Buhari's decision stemmed from the "leadership deficit and truncation of the hope of the common man through the pervasive injustice in the land,"saying it is in alliance and "possible merger talks with other progressive coalition partners in order to give true meaning to democratic governance within the Nigerian polity."

[b]Senator Mahmud Kanti Bello, from Katsina State, who claimed to have been part of the process that produced Jonathan as the PDP presidential candidate at the primary preceding the 2011 polls, however, said the North should create a "proper scenario"for the 2015 presidency.

He spoke in an interview with Sunday Vanguard.

Saying the Northern leaders in the PDP did not extract any promise from Jonathan not to contest the 2015 presidential election, Kanti Bello narrated: "I can recall when we were doing the last caucus meeting before the last presidential primary election. The order of primaries and general elections were put into the Electoral Act.

We had the meeting at the PDP headquarters. There and then President Jonathan was trying to garner support. The president, governors, some lawmakers, party chieftains and I were there. I supported IBB because I felt he was a better candidate, but when he lost, I was duty bound as a party-man to support Jonathan.

"But then, before supporting him, I wanted to take something to my people who were agitating for a northern president. That is the fact because, after the death of Umaru (Yar-Adua), our people felt that the presidency should remain in the north to compensate for the death of Umaru. I was one of those who believed in that arrangement too. But we have a constitution in the party which has been jettisoned by the president because his coming in has altered the constitution.

He has redefined zoning. So, once he picked the ticket, I had no alternative than to support him, within my limits because I knew my people were not in support.

[size=14pt]"So, in order to take something to our people, I asked the president, "can we have his words that in 2015, he will not run?" To be fair to Jonathan, he did not answer the question. But I can remember some people went ahead and issued a communique that President Jonathan was going to do only one term. But the president did not say so. They issued the communique as if they had discussed with him deceiving our people. Now, there is strong indication coming out that Jonathan wants to contest in 2015. If you can read the type of dance that the he is doing, then, you will know he is interested in 2015. Again, he has never said he is not interested. There is support from the South-south for him to continue in 2015."[/size][/b]

http://allafrica.com/stories/201204150192.html
Re: Single Term - There Was Never Any Pact Between Jonathan, Northern Leaders by ojeoguc: 9:09pm On Apr 15, 2012
Kanti bello go and die with ur Northan brothers what have u guys from the north offered this country rather than poverty and looting the nations wealth. Luk at the whole country in Africa that is been rule by Muslim . Crisis And poverty
Re: Single Term - There Was Never Any Pact Between Jonathan, Northern Leaders by Beaf: 9:09pm On Apr 15, 2012
So, there you have it. Right out of the horses mouth.
Who could be more "Northern" than the likes of Kanti Bello, Kaita, the vulture Ciroma etc?

GEJ never promised to do only a single term. The man should not be distracted with 2015 politics.
Re: Single Term - There Was Never Any Pact Between Jonathan, Northern Leaders by kokoA(m): 9:23pm On Apr 15, 2012
GEJ and all these northern leaders are bunch of jobless jokers.. Imagine, we just started 2012 and the only thing in the mind of these pdp people is 2015 election. Little wonder, they can't concentrate on making life easy for the people of Nigeria.

Re: Single Term - There Was Never Any Pact Between Jonathan, Northern Leaders by OAM4J: 9:49pm On Apr 15, 2012
hmnnnn interesting! 2015 Politics will be very very interesting!

May God keep me alive till then and beyond. Amen.
Re: Single Term - There Was Never Any Pact Between Jonathan, Northern Leaders by hakanai(m): 11:48am On Apr 17, 2012
ojeogu. c:
Kanti bello go and die with ur Northan brothers what have u guys from the north offered this country rather than poverty and looting the nations wealth. Luk at the whole country in Africa that is been rule by Muslim . Crisis And poverty
What of the other nations that are lead by christian leaders like congo etc.You must be daft to suggest that.

1 Like

Re: Single Term - There Was Never Any Pact Between Jonathan, Northern Leaders by nagoma(m): 3:29pm On Apr 17, 2012
Mugabe, musaveni and joseph Mobutu were/ are not Muslims and Hitler was a good Christian.
Re: Single Term - There Was Never Any Pact Between Jonathan, Northern Leaders by Afam4eva(m): 3:39pm On Apr 17, 2012
That's what our ruler do. They use other people to say what they want to say so that later they can deny that they never made such statement.
Re: Single Term - There Was Never Any Pact Between Jonathan, Northern Leaders by Chyz2: 3:43pm On Apr 17, 2012
Beaf, where exactly is jonathan going to get his votes from outside of the non-Igbo speaking areas of the south-south if he does decide to run?
Re: Single Term - There Was Never Any Pact Between Jonathan, Northern Leaders by jmaine: 3:44pm On Apr 17, 2012
While you guyz want to twist it into Christian/muslim fiasco . .can you all address Kanti clear the air view . . . . .

2015 will be such an interesting year with the declaration of "the man of his word" Buhari who has yet showed his deceit by signalling intent to contest again . . .
Re: Single Term - There Was Never Any Pact Between Jonathan, Northern Leaders by Gbawe: 3:47pm On Apr 17, 2012
Beaf: So, there you have it. Right out of the horses mouth.
Who could be more "Northern" than the likes of Kanti Bello, Kaita, the vulture Ciroma etc?

GEJ never promised to do only a single term. The man should not be distracted with 2015 politics.

Say what you want. Sadly for GEJ he made this "one term" pledge everywhere to include beyond the shores of Nigeria. We will see how this plays out.

http://www.newstimeafrica.com/archives/15809

Goodluck Jonathan says he is only seeking one-term presidency in Nigeria
Written by Newstime Africa on February 1, 2011.

Goodluck Jonathan - Only seeking one-term

LAGOS, February 1, 2011 (AFP) – Nigerian President Goodluck Jonathan, favoured to win April elections, has pledged to stand for only one term after northern political elites opposed his candidacy, local media reported Tuesday. Jonathan made the pledge on Monday while addressing Nigerians living in Ethiopia, where he attended an African Union summit, several Nigerian newspapers and media outlets reported. ”I would have loved that Nigerians in the diaspora vote this year … but that is going to be difficult for now. ”Presently the law does not allow voting outside Nigeria, but I will work towards it by 2015, even though I will not be running for election,” Jonathan reportedly said.His office did not respond to requests to confirm the reported remarks.

There have been previous suggestions that he would not seek re-election in 2015 and state governors from his party have backed him for one term only, but the comments would be the first time Jonathan stated the pledge publicly. Jonathan emerged as the ruling Peoples Democratic Party (PDP) candidate last month, upsetting an internal party arrangement that sees power rotated between the north and south every two terms. He is from the southern oil-rich Niger Delta and came to power last year after the death of president Umaru Yar’Adua, a northerner who had not yet finished his first term. High-profile politicians from Nigerian’s mainly Muslim north had opposed the candidature of Jonathan, a Christian, on grounds that Yar’Adua died before he completed the term alloted to their region.

The party’s rule is variously viewed as an outdated policy pandering to ethnic politics and a power-sharing deal helping to hold together the vast country of 150 million people. Presidential, legislative and state governorship elections are set for April in ballots where ethnic, religious and regional factors are likely to play key roles — and possibly result in further violence.

© 2011, Newstime Africa. All rights reserved.
Re: Single Term - There Was Never Any Pact Between Jonathan, Northern Leaders by Beaf: 3:48pm On Apr 17, 2012
Chyz*:
Beaf, where exactly is jonathan going to get his votes from outside of the non-Igbo speaking areas of the south-south if he does decide to run?
GEJ has not said he is running, rather you are hearing one of IBB/Ciroma's vultures confirming that he never ever made a promise not to run.
About where GEJ will get votes if he decides to run? Lol! That is an old failed rant that was played before the last elections as well; yet what did we see?
Re: Single Term - There Was Never Any Pact Between Jonathan, Northern Leaders by Chyz2: 3:54pm On Apr 17, 2012
Beaf:
About where GEJ will get votes if he decides to run? Lol! That is an old failed rant that was played before the last elections as well; yet what did we see?

The rant was played by the north but now the SW and Igbo are definitely not going to support him. So again, where wil he get his votes from?
Re: Single Term - There Was Never Any Pact Between Jonathan, Northern Leaders by Beaf: 3:55pm On Apr 17, 2012
Chyz*:

The rant was played by the north but now the SW and Igbo are definitely not going to support him. So again, where wil he get his votes from?

Wait until GEJ decides whether or not to run before you worry your arse off.
Re: Single Term - There Was Never Any Pact Between Jonathan, Northern Leaders by nagoma(m): 4:31pm On Apr 17, 2012
@ojeogu C
Mugabe , musaveni and joseph Mobutu were/ are not Muslims and Hitler was a good Christian.So is ibori.
Re: Single Term - There Was Never Any Pact Between Jonathan, Northern Leaders by Yeske2(m): 5:03pm On Apr 17, 2012
Chyz*:

Well said.
Never supported GEJ last year and never will, those Who did i know of are seriously regretting their decision just barely a year after.
Re: Single Term - There Was Never Any Pact Between Jonathan, Northern Leaders by Chyz2: 6:43pm On Apr 17, 2012
Beaf:

Wait until GEJ decides whether or not to run before you worry your arse off.

My point is, whether he decides to run or not there is no way he can win presidency by votes,period. That's just reality. Let's not talk abt who's worrying their arse off about another person beaf.
Re: Single Term - There Was Never Any Pact Between Jonathan, Northern Leaders by Beaf: 6:53pm On Apr 17, 2012
Chyz*:

My point is, whether he decides to run or not there is no way he can win presidency by votes,period. That's just reality. Let's not talk abt who's worrying their arse off about another person beaf.

Thats the same old crap we heard before the last elections and you were one of the false prophets.
I don't even know if GEJ is running, so please take your discussion to winshes meeting. Seen?
Re: Single Term - There Was Never Any Pact Between Jonathan, Northern Leaders by Chyz2: 6:56pm On Apr 17, 2012
Beaf:

Thats the same old crap we heard before the last elections and you were one of the false prophets.
I don't even know if GEJ is running, so please take your discussion to your fellow winshes. Seen?

Oh really? Would you mind posting my false prophesy? And, never said he was running either. Was just wondering where he planned to get his votes from to win presidency in 2015.
Re: Single Term - There Was Never Any Pact Between Jonathan, Northern Leaders by Beaf: 7:00pm On Apr 17, 2012
Chyz*:

Oh really? Would you mind posting my false prophesy? And, never said he was running either. Was just wondering where he planned to get his votes from to win presidency in 2015.
I don't care, bro. We recall all the false prophets (like yourself) from the last election (most have left NL in shame).
Abeg, take your thoughts to winshes meeting jare. They are of no use.
Re: Single Term - There Was Never Any Pact Between Jonathan, Northern Leaders by hercules07: 7:02pm On Apr 17, 2012
Chyz wetin happen now, thought GEJ was your man.
Re: Single Term - There Was Never Any Pact Between Jonathan, Northern Leaders by Beaf: 7:03pm On Apr 17, 2012
hercules07: Chyz wetin happen now, thought GEJ was your man.
When? He has always been like you.

SMH.
Re: Single Term - There Was Never Any Pact Between Jonathan, Northern Leaders by Chyz2: 7:04pm On Apr 17, 2012
Beaf:
I don't care, bro. We recall all the false prophets (like yourself) from the last election (most have left NL in shame).
Abeg, take your thoughts to winshes meeting jare. They are of no use.

Wrong. wasn't apart of that false prophesy group unless you are going to lie that i supported Ribadu or Buhari? sorry beaf try harder. Waado!
Re: Single Term - There Was Never Any Pact Between Jonathan, Northern Leaders by Chyz2: 7:06pm On Apr 17, 2012
hercules07: Chyz wetin happen now, thought GEJ was your man.

Had to go the way of my peeps and they chose goodluck.
Re: Single Term - There Was Never Any Pact Between Jonathan, Northern Leaders by Beaf: 7:08pm On Apr 17, 2012
Chyz*:

Wrong. wasn't apart of that false prophesy group unless you are going to lie that i supported Ribadu or Buhari? sorry beaf try harder. Waado!
Bro, you've always been a false prophet and a feather in the wind. Your thoughts would be welcome at winsh meeting.
Re: Single Term - There Was Never Any Pact Between Jonathan, Northern Leaders by Chyz2: 7:15pm On Apr 17, 2012
Beaf:
Bro, you've always been a false prophet and a feather in the wind. Your thoughts would be welcome at winsh meeting.

Like i said before, post post post so all can see my false prophesy. Dont see why you're catching feelings. There's two things, either he rigs himself in and i assure u nigeria will end if he doesnt that in any part besides SS or he somehow gets is cunning 7 year one term bid which no one will agree on and if some money bag politicians dare sneek it in then there will be anarchy and he will certainly be unseated.No gree? Please mek he don't try bluff.
Re: Single Term - There Was Never Any Pact Between Jonathan, Northern Leaders by hercules07: 7:20pm On Apr 17, 2012
@Chyz

Okay o, next time shine your eyes o, every man and his dog knew he will run for a second term, he was just trying to assuage feelings then.
Re: Single Term - There Was Never Any Pact Between Jonathan, Northern Leaders by Nobody: 7:26pm On Apr 17, 2012
Seriously, who would be voting for GEJ, FOR FREE, come 2015?

I'd rather vote for a SE-rn man than allow that imbe cile to preside in God's forsaken toilet (Nigeria).
Re: Single Term - There Was Never Any Pact Between Jonathan, Northern Leaders by hercules07: 7:36pm On Apr 17, 2012
Beaf:
When? He has always been like you.

SMH.

He has always been like me as in being anti PDP or GEJ? I have always seen him as pro GEJ, as in one of those who fed from the crumbs passed down by GEJ, guess I was wrong.
Re: Single Term - There Was Never Any Pact Between Jonathan, Northern Leaders by Chyz2: 7:41pm On Apr 17, 2012
hercules07: @Chyz

Okay o, next time shine your eyes o, every man and his dog knew he will run for a second term, he was just trying to assuage feelings then.

You are right. in illiterate talk " Ijaw pepple used to be funny like that o!". Let him continue trying his nonsense as if he got more brain than others.
Re: Single Term - There Was Never Any Pact Between Jonathan, Northern Leaders by Chyz2: 7:44pm On Apr 17, 2012
Truth is at the time it was better to role with Dr.Dolittle the zoologist than Ayatollah Mahumodu Bin Buhari.
Re: Single Term - There Was Never Any Pact Between Jonathan, Northern Leaders by Johndoe100(m): 8:09pm On Apr 17, 2012
Chyz*:

It never seizes to amaze me how people can be so dense and say such stupid things. This fellow is asking where PDP will get votes. Please even a brain dead dog in Nigeria asks "how do we stop PDP". Are you alright or did you just land from planet NL?

(1) (2) (Reply)

Breaking News Kalu On His Way To Jail. As Akomas And Other Supporters Desert Him / Breaking News. Dana Air Crashes In Lagos / Will Any One From South South Ever Rule Nigeria Again

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 68
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.