Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,624 members, 7,809,315 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 07:43 AM

Nigerian Men And The '2nd Wife Or More' - Culture Or Modern Day Infildelity? - Culture (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Nigerian Men And The '2nd Wife Or More' - Culture Or Modern Day Infildelity? (11298 Views)

Culture Or Cruelty? Do We Still Need Tribal Marks?(pics) / Good Old Days Or Modern Age Which Do You Prefer ? / Igbo-Nigerian Men Are The Most Handsome Men In Africa! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Nigerian Men And The '2nd Wife Or More' - Culture Or Modern Day Infildelity? by spoilt(f): 2:46am On Nov 09, 2007
davidylan:

na the respect wey i get for you make me lef am. grin

' grin grin grin grin'
Re: Nigerian Men And The '2nd Wife Or More' - Culture Or Modern Day Infildelity? by JustGood(m): 9:34am On Nov 09, 2007
It appears that many people live in the past with regards to Nigeria and they just want to believe what they want so they can say things about Nigeria/Nigerians.

Infidelity does not necessarily equate polygamy. Infidelity is worldwide and not unique to Nigeria, neither is it unique to men.

Somebody said Nigerian laws wont work in polygamy cases as if she has ever taken such a case to court. The silliness of just try to drag Nigeria down is fascinating
Re: Nigerian Men And The '2nd Wife Or More' - Culture Or Modern Day Infildelity? by btayo1(m): 10:57am On Nov 09, 2007
@ Britgirlee, I do understand the post; in my last post i had used the first paragraph to debunk claims and views aired here that the level of Education or Intelligence is correlated to having the 2nd wife. I also stated the reason why Men (Not Just Nigerian Men) have a 2nd wife varies-therefore cannot be narrowed down to Culture and is Not Modern day Infidelity as 2nd wife is different from having a Mistress. Modern day Men rather practice Infidelity than take the 2nd wife option- the benefit of this option is a different debate. The Key Element here is Choice, freewill.

As posted by Justgood "Infidelity does not necessarily equate polygamy. Infidelity is worldwide and not unique to Nigeria, neither is it unique to men".

It obvious that you have a fascination for Nmen; that is quite understandable as we rank @ the Top amongst the black men.
Re: Nigerian Men And The '2nd Wife Or More' - Culture Or Modern Day Infildelity? by londoner: 11:15am On Nov 09, 2007
Polygamy and infidelity is not necessarily the same thing. If a spouse takes on another wife/husband with the knowledge and permission of the wife/husband than it isn't exactly infidelity, infidelity points more towards unfaithfulness to a marriage/relationship. Thats hard to do if its within the confines of the relationship as the two understand it. Its a tricky definition.

Men and women from all over the world cheat on their spouses, however in some societies not only is it a social norm, but an encouraged act. That is the difference.

There are societies where there is no stigma attached to a man having more than one wife, or a woman having more than one husband. Its something that should be discussed before getting married.
Re: Nigerian Men And The '2nd Wife Or More' - Culture Or Modern Day Infildelity? by britgirlee(f): 9:02pm On Nov 09, 2007
Btayo1
twice or thrice you have been told to read the topic before posting your view by myself and another.
As much as you are free to post your view please use some thought process before posting.
Its getting tedious

Also it does not make you any what respected by getting personal with my self or any other it actually is embarrassing
Re: Nigerian Men And The '2nd Wife Or More' - Culture Or Modern Day Infildelity? by britgirlee(f): 9:06pm On Nov 09, 2007
I correct my last quote,

APOLOGY BTayo1 meant for an other poster two screnes opened up here undecided

But i dont have a facination for men why should I?? Just enjoy posting controversal topics kiss
Re: Nigerian Men And The '2nd Wife Or More' - Culture Or Modern Day Infildelity? by nalijah07(f): 9:50pm On Apr 03, 2008
londoner:

Polygamy and infidelity is not necessarily the same thing. If a spouse takes on another wife/husband with the knowledge and permission of the wife/husband than it isn't exactly infidelity, infidelity points more towards unfaithfulness to a marriage/relationship.

In order for the husband to take on another wife, it has to begin with infidelity. I'm sure the husband will not initially let the wife know that he is out dating other women.
Re: Nigerian Men And The '2nd Wife Or More' - Culture Or Modern Day Infildelity? by lucabrasi(m): 4:09am On Apr 05, 2008
most men did it in the old days when they were predominantly farmers for of practical reasons, loads of male and female children to work in the farms as there were to tractors and stuffs and it sort of crept into mainstream african culture and in the 50s,60s,70s, it was either ppl looking for male children who let it get out of hand or as a kind of cementing friendship,political or business interests and nowadays people do it more for status symbol as in i have arrived or to tighten friendships or connections but there are some irresponsible ones that do it cause they are, most of the women in the city that agree to it have a choice in most cases so i dont see it as being just the man's fault and some do it because they r prolly in their thirties or fourties and have lost hope of getting a single man and settled for that and some do it purely for the money, you ll be suprised how many mostly girls in their twenties in nigerian universities all jump at it and are prepared to go diabolical for a man to marry them even as a 10th wife as long as he is loaded
Re: Nigerian Men And The '2nd Wife Or More' - Culture Or Modern Day Infildelity? by tamme: 4:55am On Oct 16, 2009
Nigerian men are pigs lipsrsealed
Re: Nigerian Men And The '2nd Wife Or More' - Culture Or Modern Day Infildelity? by agathamari(f): 4:55pm On Oct 21, 2009
never happen. for it to be a second wife means i would be willing to stay. he already had his second chance and if he wants someone else then why would i want to be with someone who doesnt want to be with me? im worth more then that
Re: Nigerian Men And The '2nd Wife Or More' - Culture Or Modern Day Infildelity? by Goddesign: 12:21am On Sep 19, 2010
what i dont get is,why not be honest with the woman or man about being married.

why not be honest and let her decide if thats the kind of relationship she or he wants
Re: Nigerian Men And The '2nd Wife Or More' - Culture Or Modern Day Infildelity? by aaidel(m): 2:05am On Sep 27, 2010
actually i think the bigamy law applies only to christians as the nigerian constitution while deeply flawed recognises the fact that there were muslims in the forced union and i think the penal code was a mixture of all the different laws around then so most likely if you are a muslim your wife cant sue for taking another wife.

though i once had a friend whose father claimed to have converted to islam just to take another wife
Re: Nigerian Men And The '2nd Wife Or More' - Culture Or Modern Day Infildelity? by Goddesign2: 3:46am On Sep 29, 2010
I would like to ask a question maybe someone can help me

(1) (2) (Reply)

Whats The Eglish Meaning Of Ekule / Emir Of Bahrain With His Robot Bodyguard / Can I Learn Esan?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 19
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.