Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,591 members, 7,809,145 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 01:12 AM

James Ibori To Spend 4.5 Years In Jail - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / James Ibori To Spend 4.5 Years In Jail (9071 Views)

Ibori To Complete Jail Term In Nigeria / James Ibori To Justice Minister Malami: "Ibori Loot Does Not Exist" / I Turned Down 400m Car Proposal,nass Can't Spend 4.5b To Buy Cars-buhari (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

James Ibori To Spend 4.5 Years In Jail by onatisi(m): 10:49am On Apr 18, 2012
It took Justice Nicholas Pitts, just one hour to end the five-year legal ordeal of former governor of Delta State, Chief James Ibori, whom he sentenced to spend 13 years in a United Kingdom prison. The sentence ended the legal battle between the strongman of Delta State politics and the combined powers of the EFCC and the UK legal system.

Effectively, Chief Ibori who did not betray any emotion, will spend about four and half years in prison considering the deductions the judge made to the conviction.

http://www.vanguardngr.com/2012/04/ibori-to-spend-4%C2%BD-years-in-uk-prison/
Re: James Ibori To Spend 4.5 Years In Jail by tchaik(m): 11:14am On Apr 18, 2012
Any link to back it up?
Re: James Ibori To Spend 4.5 Years In Jail by onatisi(m): 11:38am On Apr 18, 2012
www.vanguardngr.com
i am on mobile and cant add the link .but na wah white man don chop ibori money.i doubt even if he will spent the five years sef
Re: James Ibori To Spend 4.5 Years In Jail by ZUBY77(m): 12:39pm On Apr 18, 2012
Only ?
Re: James Ibori To Spend 4.5 Years In Jail by hibba(f): 12:42pm On Apr 18, 2012
as at yesterday news it was 11 yrs
Re: James Ibori To Spend 4.5 Years In Jail by onatisi(m): 12:54pm On Apr 18, 2012
if he can bargain very well he may be tranfered to nigeria after six months to complete his jail term and maybe by middle of next year ibori will be a free man .trust pdp. i think he simply just bought his freedom by given the uk govermnt enough millions of pounds.
Re: James Ibori To Spend 4.5 Years In Jail by onatisi(m): 12:56pm On Apr 18, 2012
what it means is the uk goverment dont need ibori in their prison THEY NEED HIS MONEY IN THEIR ECONOMY

1 Like

Re: James Ibori To Spend 4.5 Years In Jail by WebSurfer(m): 1:01pm On Apr 18, 2012
i said it.... foolish Nigerians
Re: James Ibori To Spend 4.5 Years In Jail by WebSurfer(m): 1:01pm On Apr 18, 2012
all they need is the money
Re: James Ibori To Spend 4.5 Years In Jail by oluseg2: 1:04pm On Apr 18, 2012
onatisi: if he can bargain very well he may be tranfered to nigeria after six months to complete his jail term and maybe by middle of next year ibori will be a free man .trust pdp. i think he simply just bought his freedom by given the uk govermnt enough millions of pounds.
Why can't people be optimistic for once?.
How on earth can you just think that he bought his justice?. How can you just conclude that he will be a free man if transfered to Nigerian prison.
I suspect that you must be a very corrupt person.

1 Like

Re: James Ibori To Spend 4.5 Years In Jail by dadicvila(m): 1:08pm On Apr 18, 2012
oluseg2:
How on earth can you just think that he bought his justice?. How can you just conclude that he will be a free man if transfered to Nigerian prison.
LOL
Re: James Ibori To Spend 4.5 Years In Jail by moderattor: 1:11pm On Apr 18, 2012
oluseg2:
He told you the simple truth.
If Ibori is brought to Nigeria the sentencing will be changed to house imprisonment to his house in warri
while he could serve the whole term in any of his houses in anywhere in Nigeria.
He could also be able to contest political posts and travel out of the country
under a dynamic arrest which can be house arrest when he is in a house, state arrest when he is roaming the whole state
and country arrest if he goes anywhere.
In nigeria we rarely brake the law, just a little modification cheesy

3 Likes

Re: James Ibori To Spend 4.5 Years In Jail by mizne1: 1:16pm On Apr 18, 2012
Money
And more good things ah[img]http://www.spgames.info/g.gif[/img]

1 Like

Re: James Ibori To Spend 4.5 Years In Jail by iykay4455(m): 1:17pm On Apr 18, 2012
Bode George spent just two years.Ibori should have stayed back
Re: James Ibori To Spend 4.5 Years In Jail by freshera: 1:21pm On Apr 18, 2012
The UK may have collected money from him.

if not, why will they reduce his sentencing from 25yrs to 13yrs just because he built stadium in his state?

Is that not part of his job in the first place?
Re: James Ibori To Spend 4.5 Years In Jail by ivoice247: 1:29pm On Apr 18, 2012
Shame on the religious leaders in Nigeria, shame on pastors of churches and Imams of mosques where these our so called religious fathers romancing with common thieves and looters whom we call our governors, ministers, perm sec, president etc. See how these pastors and Imams shamelessly praise corrupt governors and presidents yet they say they are the representative of God's law on earth.

I'm a muslim and i'm especially ashamed of those corrupt governors in the north propagating "shari'ah law" and yet stealing money from govt coffers meant to be for their people and the poor. Below is a beautiful narration of an incident that happened during the life time of prophet muhammed(saw) who practiced "shari'ah law" as it's meant to be practices;-

A man named Jaibir(ra) reported that a woman (rich, noble and highly influential) from the tribe of Makhzum committed theft. She was brought to prophet muhammed(saw)and she sought refuge from Umm Salama the wife of prophet muhammed(i.e. she wanted the prophet's wife to plead on her behalf so that she can be granted immunity from prosecution). Thereupon prophet muhammed(saw) said: By Allah, even if she were Fatima (fatima was the prophet's favourite daughter), I would have her hand cut off. And thus her hand was cut off. (sahih muslim hadith no. 4190)

1 Like

Re: James Ibori To Spend 4.5 Years In Jail by blackboi(m): 1:32pm On Apr 18, 2012
Stupid Red Necks...
helping the corrupt Black morons kill Africa
Re: James Ibori To Spend 4.5 Years In Jail by onatisi(m): 1:34pm On Apr 18, 2012
nice story .very very beautiful but they were not nigerians.

1 Like

Re: James Ibori To Spend 4.5 Years In Jail by otokx(m): 1:39pm On Apr 18, 2012
They have sense wiseness as FELA would say.
Re: James Ibori To Spend 4.5 Years In Jail by onatisi(m): 1:39pm On Apr 18, 2012
DEFINITELY he will be transfered to nigeria or should i say handed over to nigerian authorities .then he will come up with an excuse of failing health and he will be taken to aso rock hospital or a five star clininc with beautiful busty ladies as nurses and a nice swiming pool.then he will be released on health grounds after sometime give a presidential pardon then expect him at the next pdp national convention .life is beautiful if u have moneeeyyyyyyy

1 Like

Re: James Ibori To Spend 4.5 Years In Jail by mkpologwu(m): 1:47pm On Apr 18, 2012
Which Ibori is being talked about? The ex-convict? He is already serving the bad name and waiting for worse things!
Re: James Ibori To Spend 4.5 Years In Jail by onatisi(m): 1:55pm On Apr 18, 2012
tafa balogun was sentenced and from the court room taken to aso rock clinic for three months then released he is now a king maker in his state.
bode george is out and kicking and causing trouble al around lagos.
alamesiaga sorry about the spelling is current part of the elders forum in pdp .collecting contracts and installing ppl in positions.
cecilia ibru was taken to hospital after been sentenced to five years and nothing heard again about her.she is probably enjoying her billions .
Re: James Ibori To Spend 4.5 Years In Jail by onatisi(m): 2:00pm On Apr 18, 2012
the moment he pleaded guilty i knew a deal had been struck.well i rest my case here and leave the debate for u my fellow country men.long live corrupt nigeria.
Re: James Ibori To Spend 4.5 Years In Jail by coogar: 2:13pm On Apr 18, 2012
freshera: The UK may have collected money from him.

if not, why will they reduce his sentencing from 25yrs to 13yrs just because he built stadium in his state?

Is that not part of his job in the first place?

see ignorance at it's sterling quality from fellow nigerians.

james ibori got his sentence reduced to 13 yrs because he pleaded guilty before the trial.
when criminals cop a plea before a long n boring trial that wastes the time of the judge, the jury, lawyers and public funds,
they get their sentences reduced by 1/3. it's a standard practise in the uk.

so he got 13 yrs. . . . .
the way it works is one only gets to spend half of the sentence behind bars and the
rest in his home if he's deemed fit enough not to cause the public any harm.
so ibori's 13 yrs sentence is effectively 6.5 yrs in prison and 6.5 yrs in his home.
if he commits any offence after he's out, he would be sent back to prison to complete the rest of his sentence.

but ibori has been arrested almost 2 yrs ago. he has spent 2 yrs behind bars in remand
that 2 yrs would be deducted from the 6.5 yrs he would spend in prison which makes it 4.5 yrs in prison.
this is the way it works for the rich, poor, men and women in the united kingdom.
so no money exchanged hands. the law is the law.

8 Likes

Re: James Ibori To Spend 4.5 Years In Jail by onatisi(m): 2:28pm On Apr 18, 2012
so mister londoner what is the common sense in what u have just highlighted.a man has stolen over 200million pounds and in ur own magnificient solomon wisdom u feel four and half years is the best the uk goverment can give?what about the innocent ppl he has robbed of their future or sent to the world beyond.anyway it isnt ur fault it is the nigerian goverment that is to blame.if he was to be a chinnesse he would have killed long ago.
Re: James Ibori To Spend 4.5 Years In Jail by onatisi(m): 2:31pm On Apr 18, 2012
maybe we should ask if ibori was a briton and stole 200 million pounds how many years would the judge have given him?
Re: James Ibori To Spend 4.5 Years In Jail by bomega4u(m): 2:31pm On Apr 18, 2012
onatisi: the moment he pleaded guilty i knew a deal had been struck.well i rest my case here and leave the debate for u my fellow country men.long live corrupt nigeria.
Welldone u have tried!as u rest ur case let me also rest my eyes.Nigeriaaaaaa so hopelessly corrupt.
Re: James Ibori To Spend 4.5 Years In Jail by coogar: 2:32pm On Apr 18, 2012
onatisi: so mister londoner what is the common sense in what u have just highlighted.a man has stolen over 200million pounds and in ur own magnificient solomon wisdom u feel four and half years is the best the uk goverment can give?what about the innocent ppl he has robbed of their future or sent to the world beyond.anyway it isnt ur fault it is the nigerian goverment that is to blame.if he was to be a chinnesse he would have killed long ago.

this is the united kingdom, not the banana republic called nigeria.
if a serial killer goes on a spree and murders 40,000 nursery school kids, the worst he can get is life imprisonment.
there's no capital punishment.

ibori embezzled money, he did not commit a violent crime. he didn't peddle drugs.
human rights groups actually think his sentence was too harsh. he stole money(more than
half of it would be recovered) so what are you harping about?
Re: James Ibori To Spend 4.5 Years In Jail by mamaafrik(m): 2:33pm On Apr 18, 2012
@ 1st it was 13,11 & nw 4yrs,pesin wey dem 4 don giv 25yrs mak him go lefọdagbe,awọn elerii..buu.., wo ẹlẹmọshọ molọo..
Re: James Ibori To Spend 4.5 Years In Jail by coogar: 2:36pm On Apr 18, 2012
mamaafrik: @ 1st it was 13,11 & nw 4yrs,pesin wey dem 4 don giv 25yrs mak him go lefọdagbe,awọn elerii..buu.., wo ẹlẹmọshọ molọo..

13 yrs sentence = 6.5 yrs in prison.
8 yrs sentence = 4 yrs in prison.
12 mths sentence = 6 mths in prison.

how's that difficult to work out?
Re: James Ibori To Spend 4.5 Years In Jail by LailaIkeji1: 2:49pm On Apr 18, 2012
wooow. this guy used to look good n pop champagne oo. poor him!!!! may this same fate catch up with all them oles thiefing nigeria money!!!

Pictures of James ibori bfore n now.

(1) (2) (Reply)

I Never Slept With Any Man For Money - Linda Ikeji / Edwin Clark: "We Must Show Respect To Our Leaders" - Gov Udom Emmanuel Reacts / Nigeria Has Become A Giant Killing Field – PDP

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 38
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.