Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,093 members, 7,814,816 topics. Date: Wednesday, 01 May 2024 at 08:21 PM

CJN, Musdapher Nominates Female Successor, Gives Quit Notice - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / CJN, Musdapher Nominates Female Successor, Gives Quit Notice (7197 Views)

Landlord Issues Quit Notice To Ekiti PDP / Jonathan Nominates Obanikoro, Six Others As Ministers / Ojukwu's Siblings Give Bianca Quit Notice From His Residence (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: CJN, Musdapher Nominates Female Successor, Gives Quit Notice by naijaking1: 2:22am On Apr 20, 2012
strangerf:

He is a scut monkey!

Used to be, those days as surgical intern!!!!!
Re: CJN, Musdapher Nominates Female Successor, Gives Quit Notice by Onlytruth(m): 2:24am On Apr 20, 2012
Welcome back bro!
I thank God for your life. smiley
Re: CJN, Musdapher Nominates Female Successor, Gives Quit Notice by naijaking1: 2:27am On Apr 20, 2012
Onlytruth: Welcome back bro!
I thank God for your life. smiley

Thanks for looking out!
Re: CJN, Musdapher Nominates Female Successor, Gives Quit Notice by ujchief(m): 7:43am On Apr 20, 2012
koruji: Do I know you? Is there a grudge you are harboring that I don't know about? I don't remember any encounter with you, so it is not clear to me how to reply. Before you travel too far than the lane of abuse and cursing, identify yourself or stop trolling me!!!
are u new on Nl? U dont need to have an encounter with strangerf b4 he rains abuses on u. The guy is a lowlife mag.got with raptured brain tissues, hes not worth ur time, so ignore the eediiot!
Re: CJN, Musdapher Nominates Female Successor, Gives Quit Notice by nagoma(m): 4:36pm On Apr 20, 2012
@naijaking1[b]@naijaking1[/b]@naijaking1

Your jaundiced view of the southern law practioners is quite alarming. So, let me try to understand what you meant: northern lawyers patiently wait for judgeship in the civil service while their money-crazy southern rush into self-gratifying law private law practice?
How about the fact that for over the past 25 years in question, northern military rulers laid the rooster-eyed constitutional arrangement that has favored the promotion, growth, and selection of half-literate northern judges like this Aloma lady, through a lopsided state creation that favored the north?
Either Imo or Delta state alone graduate more lawyers than the whole of the NW, yet layers from the south are denied federal appointments, promotion, and opportunities at an alarming rate all in the name of federal character. Worse still are people like you coming here to falsely explain it away based on some form of norther virtousity.

I am suprised that a " brilliant southerner" like you could be this ignorant. why dont you ask the millions of imo or Delta state lawyers to explain to you. This has nothing to do with greed , just a question of choice.
[/quote]

[quote]
[color=#550000][/color]
Re: CJN, Musdapher Nominates Female Successor, Gives Quit Notice by uche13: 5:15pm On Apr 20, 2012
There is only one reason why the northerners seem to have a hold on the CJN position. The position of the CJN is purely based on seniority at the bench which is the Supreme Court. In the north, they usually appoint younger judges from the high court to the court of appeal and by the time they are finally appointed supreme court judges, they usually have a long period of time to serve before they reach the age of retirement.

In the south, based on politics, a judge is usually almost at the brink of retirement before being promoted to the court of Appeal or the Supreme Court and by the time they spend a short period of time,retirement age catches up with them.

Take for instance Nnaemeka JSC who was a Supreme Court judge for only nine months before retiring and Justice Uwais who was at the supreme court for 27 years out of which he spent 7 years as the CJN.

So the problem is with the Southerners. Promote young judges from the High Court to the Court of Appeal so that they can spend a long time at the Supreme Court before retiring.

Therefore, appointment of CJN has nothing to do with politics and is not rocket science as one can easily know the next 5 CJN in the future.
Re: CJN, Musdapher Nominates Female Successor, Gives Quit Notice by Dede1(m): 5:34pm On Apr 20, 2012
@POST

This post is full of nonsensical talks only found within the confines of the jungle called Nigeria. I hope we have lawyers among us on this forum to explain if it is the function of retiring Chief Justice of the federation to nominate or appoint his or her successor. As a layman with little inside information about the bar and bench, I know there is seniority hurdle within the bench. I also believe the president can appoint CJN from pool of judges in the Supreme Court or Court of Appeal.
Re: CJN, Musdapher Nominates Female Successor, Gives Quit Notice by naijaking1: 5:46pm On Apr 20, 2012
nagoma: @naijaking1[b]@naijaking1[/b]@naijaking1
I am suprised that a " brilliant southerner" like you could be this ignorant. why dont you ask the millions of imo or Delta state lawyers to explain to you. This has nothing to do with greed , just a question of choice.

[color=#550000][/color]

I get it! So unemployment of southern law graduates and graduates in general is by choice?
Educate us.
Re: CJN, Musdapher Nominates Female Successor, Gives Quit Notice by uche13: 5:48pm On Apr 20, 2012
@Dede1

You are right. Appointment of the CJ of a state or of the Federation as the case may be is based on seniority. Justice Mariam Mukhtar Aloma is the most senior Judge at the SC after the current CJN set to retire. The nomination by the CJN is therefore purely procedural. The problem would have been if he had nominated or hand picked a younger JSC.
Re: CJN, Musdapher Nominates Female Successor, Gives Quit Notice by Remii(m): 10:54am On Apr 21, 2012
Southerners and whining. Below is the list of past CJN, 1958 - 1987 has been Southerner, I did not think the North complained,

http://www.fjsc.gov.ng/list_of_chief.html

List of Chief Justices of Nigeria

The Supreme Court of Nigeria has had a proud history of honourable Chief Justices. Here is a list of the current and previous people who have held this respected position:
1. Hon. Justice Katsina-Alu (2010 - Present)
2. Hon. Justice I.L Kutugi CON (2007 - 2009)
3. Hon. Justice Salihu Moddibo Alfa Belgore, CON, GCON (2006 -2007)
4. Hon. Justice Muhammad Lawal Uwais, CON, GCON(1995 - 2006)
5. Hon. Justice Mohammed Bello, CON, GCON (1987 - 1995)
6. Hon. Justice Ayo Gabriel Irikefe, OFR, CON, GCON(1985 - 1987)
7. Hon. Justice George Sodeinde Sowemimo, CON, GCON(1983 - 1985)
8. Hon. Justice Atanda Fatai Williams, CON, (1979 - 1983)
9. Hon. Sir Darnley Arthur Alexander, CBE, KCMG, CFR, (1975 - 1979)
10. Hon. Justice Taslim Olawale Elias, CFR, GCON (1972 - 1975)
11.Hon. Justice Sir Ademola Adetokunbo, KBE, CON(1958 - 1972)

(1) (2) (Reply)

Don't Buy Petrol Above Approved Pump Price Of N145 Per Litre– NNPC GMD / Gombe Extends Stay At Home Order For Civil Servants For Levels 1-12 / Ethnic Groups In Africa That Share The Same Genetic Haplogroup With The Yorubas

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 28
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.