Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,159,801 members, 7,841,106 topics. Date: Sunday, 26 May 2024 at 09:03 PM

Abuja2014? - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Abuja2014? (1238 Views)

(2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Abuja2014? by BigB11(m): 2:12am On Nov 09, 2007
http://www.abuja2014.org/Abuja_City/Welcome_Address.htm

Infact, this has been confirmed, Nigeria is still very serious and vigorously bidding to host 2014 commonwealth games. I'm very proud and look forward to witness this great accomplishment.
Without any doubt, this will definitely be a big one for the entire Africa as a continent

But the BIG question is: Looking at the political/ economic unsteadiness, extremely poor infrastructure, corruption activities, and immaturity of leadership skill in Nigeria; is this vision feasible for Nigeria as a nation to accomplish successfully or is it going to end up as another embarrassment stage for our country?
Because what you crave for could also kill you!
Re: Abuja2014? by babasin(m): 9:28am On Nov 09, 2007
Infact, this has been confirmed, Nigeria is still very serious and vigorously bidding to host 2014 commonwealth games

and what happened to FESTAC

This is pure rubbish.

They should rather use the money to build 'railway line from

Lagos - Aba,
Aba - Maiduguri,
Lagos - Sokoto,
Sokoto - Maiduguri!
Re: Abuja2014? by BigB11(m): 1:43pm On Nov 09, 2007

This is pure rubbish.

@BABASIN
I'm not sure if I understand your previous post because the hosting country usually generates money from the common wealth games. I also believe that FESTAC was a successful accomplishment.
Re: Abuja2014? by Nobody: 1:55pm On Nov 09, 2007
We just lost the bid
Re: Abuja2014? by FSU: 2:29pm On Nov 09, 2007
I am happy that we lost. Nigerians never see garri drink, wey dey put hand for wetin big pass us. We get big eye sha. grin

Glasgow wins bid to host 2014 Commonwealth Games
9 November, 2007

By Alex Smith

Scottish city beats Abuja in Nigeria for the right to host the Games

Glasgow has won the competition to host the 2014 Commonwealth Games.

The city was announced as the winner ahead of Abuja in Nigeria at a ceremony in Sri Lanka this afternoon.

Plans for the £288m Games include the construction of a “Games Village” of 1,000 homes to be built on the Clyde, to be used for private sale and social housing after the Games are finished.

The Games will also see a new indoor sports arena, velodrome and entertainments arena built, and will make use of the City’s existing venues, with Hampden Stadium to host the track and field, Ibrox the rugby 7s, and Celtic Park the opening ceremony.

The Commonwealth Games Council of Scotland says that all new buildings will be constructed so that they can be used by the community after the Games, and it hopes to renew “significant” brownfield sites.

Council chair Louise Martin said the plans were a “vision of a city and country leaving a legacy of sport and opportunity throughout the Commonwealth for generations to come.”

Pictures soon.
Re: Abuja2014? by FSU: 2:30pm On Nov 09, 2007
babasin:

This is pure rubbish.

Lagos - Aba,
Aba - Maiduguri,
Lagos - Sokoto,
Sokoto - Maiduguri!

Sounds far more reasonable than the stupi bid.
Re: Abuja2014? by BigB11(m): 2:56pm On Nov 09, 2007
We just lost the bid

Yes, we just lost the bid.
This reminds me of an individual that makes only $20,000 a year, but wants a mortgage that will cost him over $1M. Yes, it is absolutely OK to think and dream big, but we must not lose our soul.At this point in Nigeria, this is just a little bit too much and senseless.
There is time for everything, definitely this is not the right time for Nigeria to be bidding for the common wealth games.

Yes, it did not take 1 week to build Rome; but we need to first get our sh it together, establish a solid foundation before thinking about building the skyscrapers.

I am very disappointed that the immaturity of our leadership skills in Nigeria continues to linger like an everlasting bad smell.
This should be a lesson for our leaders; we are nothing but a piece of unwanted jungle. We must quickly discover a better strategy to focus on important things that effect ordinary Nigerians on a daily basis.

Once again we looked stupid and I'm very very upset, I hate rejection.
Re: Abuja2014? by Colonia(m): 3:14pm On Nov 09, 2007
Lets keep it real do we think we will given the hosting right? Are we ready for such a big event? Its like a somebody trying to host a friend and has only one room with not enough space. We were only considered in other to be fair. We all know our stuff is not together yet. Especially for such a short notice 7 Years!!! we probabbly need nothing less than 10 years or more to get ourselves together. Dont get me wrong we will be able to host such an event in the future but not right now. There is hope in our future !!!
Re: Abuja2014? by fakedavid: 4:23pm On Nov 09, 2007
Everything good that the country puts her hand in is seen as a waste of money by the same Nigerians who complains that nothing is done in the country.

try build a railway line - they will say its a waste of money

try build bridges - they say its a waste of money

try send satelite to space to improve communications - they say its a waste of money

try host international games - they says its a waste of money

so what is it that will be done in the country that will not be a waste of money? what does development mean to Nigerians? is it only about what?
Re: Abuja2014? by FSU: 4:26pm On Nov 09, 2007
davidyland@yahoo.com:

Everything good that the country puts her hand in is seen as a waste of money by the same Nigerians who complains that nothing is done in the country.

try build a railway line - they will say its a waste of money

try build bridges - they say its a waste of money

try send satelite to space to improve communications - they say its a waste of money

try host international games - they says its a waste of money

so what is it that will be done in the country that will not be a waste of money? what does development mean to Nigerians? is it only about what?

This particular one was sure going to be a waste of money. Good that it fell through.
Re: Abuja2014? by vigasimple(m): 4:27pm On Nov 09, 2007
@ FSU, BABASIN and BIG1

These are the kind of debates and opinion we should be pursing rather than Tribal bashing
IBO -V- YORUBA - V- HAUSA.

You guy have said it all including the rest people on this thread so far.

We need to sort out our baisc amenties including infrastructures.

I am not in one bit surprised that we lost the bid, they just cosider us out of courtsey.

The team who are mandate to choosing the host for the commonwealth games are not stupid, they will have seen that though abuja is beautiful but we don't have infrastructures.

Most hosting countries usually have light train services, the inter city type.

As a last ditch effort when it is clear that Nigeria are going to lose they started to offer that we would transport all the 73 countries to Nigeria and back to their own countries at Nigeria expenses when we can hardly eat 3 square meals and no basic infrastructures.

They think they can bribe others like they give their own EGUNJE.

Those people are smart enough to do Nigeria a favour. They in effect said 'Use you resources to look after your own people before inviting visitors to come'

Good luck next time they said to Mr. Goodluck
Re: Abuja2014? by fakedavid: 4:52pm On Nov 09, 2007
have u been to Glasgow? I have been and there is no infrastructure that is there that is out of the heaven - and glasgow is not paradise.

How do you mean mwhen you say it is going to be a waste of money @FSU. Exactly my point - what will we as a nation endeavour to do that the citizens will not bring down as a waste of money - please tell me. No country is exactly and absolutely ready to host any international sporting event - even here in London - with rights to hold the 2012 Olympics - they are just building the stadium and other places to be used for the competition - even glasgos is doing the same - so what do you mean that we dont have facilities in place?

Same for South Africa - went to SA and i can see that they are just puting most facilities and infrastructures in place to hold the world in 2010 - so what r u saying?

It is only in Nigeria that the citizens find it hard to support anything good the country aims to be.
Re: Abuja2014? by FSU: 4:57pm On Nov 09, 2007
davidyland@yahoo.com:

have u been to Glasgow? I have been and there is no infrastructure that is there that is out of the heaven - and glasgow is not paradise.

How do you mean mwhen you say it is going to be a waste of money @FSU. Exactly my point - what will we as a nation endeavour to do that the citizens will not bring down as a waste of money - please tell me. No country is exactly and absolutely ready to host any international sporting event - even here in London - with rights to hold the 2012 Olympics - they are just building the stadium and other places to be used for the competition - even glasgos is doing the same - so what do you mean that we don't have facilities in place?

Same for South Africa - went to SA and i can see that they are just puting most facilities and infrastructures in place to hold the world in 2010 - so what r u saying?

It is only in Nigeria that the citizens find it hard to support anything good the country aims to be.

It will be a waste of money because at least half of the budgeted money will go to private pockets
It will be waste of money because the money can better serve other purposes-fixing bad roads, electricity, water supply and health amongst others. Did you see that our inability to fix roads have led to shameful deaths?
We do not have any security.
Infact, we are simply not qualified to host that games. Period

Re: Abuja2014? by monkeyleg: 5:13pm On Nov 09, 2007
FSU,

Well said. We do not qualify in any way to host any international tornament. Gruesome pictures tho.
Re: Abuja2014? by fakedavid: 5:55pm On Nov 09, 2007
very stupid comparison.
Re: Abuja2014? by babasin(m): 6:00pm On Nov 09, 2007
Well said. We do not qualify in any way to host any international tornament. Gruesome pictures tho.

yes.

a country that can not fix POTHOLEs and allow its people to roast alive on 'motoway' does not need to host any competition.

So you want to roast the foreigners too??

grin cheesy grin
Re: Abuja2014? by FSU: 6:11pm On Nov 09, 2007
davidyland@yahoo.com:

very stupid comparison.

It is clueless people like you that plan bad policies for Nigeria. Now scram before I gba etie grin
Re: Abuja2014? by ow11(m): 8:30pm On Nov 09, 2007
FSU:

It will be a waste of money because at least half of the budgeted money will go to private pockets
It will be waste of money because the money can better serve other purposes-fixing bad roads, electricity, water supply and health amongst others. Did you see that our inability to fix roads have led to shameful deaths?
We do not have any security.
Infact, we are simply not qualified to host that games. Period

For some reason, i agree with you but please those pictures! cry
Re: Abuja2014? by egin(m): 11:56pm On Nov 09, 2007
We cannot host the civilized world with the state of our roads like those shown below.

Re: Abuja2014? by fakedavid: 3:01pm On Nov 10, 2007
even there are roads like this in Russia - so what the heck?

Re: Abuja2014? by fakedavid: 3:07pm On Nov 10, 2007
and,

Re: Abuja2014? by fakedavid: 3:09pm On Nov 10, 2007

Re: Abuja2014? by Mariory(m): 5:47pm On Nov 10, 2007
You folks are missing the point. What better incentive for our lazy government to repair our roads and put in infastructure than to host an international event.

As always we shoot ourselves in the foot. Another oppurtunity lost. So we will now continue to complain on here on nairaland while infastructure continues to be inadequate.
Re: Abuja2014? by Nobody: 6:42pm On Nov 10, 2007
Mariory:

You folks are missing the point. What better incentive for our lazy government to repair our roads and put in infastructure than to host an international event.

As always we shoot ourselves in the foot. Another oppurtunity lost. So we will now continue to complain on here on nairaland while infastructure continues to be inadequate.

logic, beautifully, symetrically stood on its head. so we must wait for international competitions before our government repairs roads and puts in infrastructure. are we ever going to get our priorities right in this country? sad
Re: Abuja2014? by JustGood(m): 7:04pm On Nov 10, 2007
I am happy that Glasgow won the bid. I'll be able to see many Nigerian athletes around me in 2014. I may even know a few of the coaches. Plus, it is bound to be good for the Glaswegian economy.

However, Glasgow has many negatives as well. Glasgow is probably the drug capital of the western world. Glasgow's NEDS are a complete menace to society and to the world at large. There is abject poverty around Parkhead in the East end that will host the opening of the games. Glasgow is a very quietly racist place and you are likely to think that everyone that smiles at you and chats with you really likes you. THEY DONT!

But, better Glasgow than Nigeria. Those politicians would only use the games as an escuse to corruptly enrich themselves and their friends and relatives.

Hope to see some of you guys in Glasgow in 2014 grin
Re: Abuja2014? by Mariory(m): 8:14pm On Nov 10, 2007
ziddy:

logic, beautifully, symetrically stood on its head. so we must wait for international competitions before our government repairs roads and puts in infrastructure. are we ever going to get our priorities right in this country? sad

Ok first of all, that's not what I said at all. One thing is for sure, we have our priorities wrong in this country. It appears some of us view the fact that Abuja lost as some sort of punishment for the government. Talk about wrong priorities. Who is going to use the bad roads as they are, you or the government? My point was, the competitions were an OPPORTUNITY!

Pray tell, how are you going to get the government to repair those roads even with a tragedy as that which happened recently? By posting here on nairaland? I want to know what action you are taking to get those roads repaired. We have lost the bid, that's done and dusted and as far as I'm concerned, we have lost another opportunity that can act as an incentive to our governments to have infrastructure built. My 2cents.

(1) (Reply)

E Passport Application, Fraud? / Igbo Women Protest Ritual Killings In Imo. / Insecurity Has Driven Anambra/igbo People Away, Says Soludo

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 49
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.