Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,713 members, 7,816,933 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 08:30 PM

Jonathan Shuns South-south Economic Summit…says: “it Is A Political Jamboree” - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Jonathan Shuns South-south Economic Summit…says: “it Is A Political Jamboree” (1217 Views)

Buhari Calls National Economic Summit – Top Official Reveals / Jonathan Shuns Former Ministers, Aides / Jonathan Shuns Workers’ Day Rally (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Jonathan Shuns South-south Economic Summit…says: “it Is A Political Jamboree” by ibrahimdoc: 9:44am On Apr 26, 2012
Baring any last minute changes, President Goodluck Jonathan will not be attending the much-publicized South- South Economic Summit but rather be flying to Yamossoukro, Côte d'Ivoire to attend meeting of Regional African leaders, sources close to the Presidency told Pointblanknews.com.

In his place, the President will be sending the Vice president, Mohammed Namadi Sambo. But Sources within the Vice President office said they are yet to be briefed of any trip to Delta State for the Summit.

“I can almost say for sure that the president will not be attending the South-South Summit because he has an important issue to deal with in Yamossoukro,” a highly placed Presidential source told pointbkanknews.com.

Leaders from the South-South zone are currently mounting what appears to be a last minute effort to have the President change his mind and attend the Summit.

Should President Jonathan insist on not attending the South-South Summit, which has allegedly gulped over N12 Billion, it would further cast a major dent in the event that was primarily organized to discuss economic development in the troubled Niger Delta region.

Already another source hinted that the Deputy Governor of River State would represent Governor Chibuike Amaechi, who is also the Chairman of the Governors Forum.

The Source who pleaded anonymity said the President, who is from the South-South region is deeply angered by the way and manner the Summit was planned and has decided to keep away.

According to the source, “the President believes that major stake holders in the South-South region were not made part of the summit, they were schemed out or rather ignored. What role will the Oil Companies in that region be playing in the summit, are they part of the summit”? The source quoted the president as saying.

The President according to the source said an economic summit that does not take into consideration major investors in the Niger Delta is like a political jamboree of.

“The President feels it will amount to a political jamboree when stakeholders in the Niger Delta are alienated.”

The source added that “the President believes there are more pressing issues in the region requiring urgent attention instead of summit which would have no direct impact on the lives of the people.”
Re: Jonathan Shuns South-south Economic Summit…says: “it Is A Political Jamboree” by Nobody: 9:55am On Apr 26, 2012
Is his choice
Re: Jonathan Shuns South-south Economic Summit…says: “it Is A Political Jamboree” by hakanai(m): 9:56am On Apr 26, 2012
Political gimmick indeed!!!! na today e start!!!! All na PDP!!!! cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy
Re: Jonathan Shuns South-south Economic Summit…says: “it Is A Political Jamboree” by PROUDIGBO(m): 10:26am On Apr 26, 2012
^^^Nice one Jona. We talk too much in this country and it's bloody annoying, as if we don't already know what needs to be done. I asked b/4, and i'm asking again, what did the first shindig achieve that they're prepared to spend 12 Billion Naira on another one? Imagine what 12 Billion can achieve on a regional level: you could start the groundwork for a regional rail network with that kind of money.
Re: Jonathan Shuns South-south Economic Summit…says: “it Is A Political Jamboree” by Nobody: 1:34pm On Apr 26, 2012
Please give us your source.
Re: Jonathan Shuns South-south Economic Summit…says: “it Is A Political Jamboree” by Nobody: 2:53pm On Apr 26, 2012
am watching the live telecast of d summit right now, i tink GEJ is right n am totally angered wit d whole shit xcept d speech from wole soyinka. its a stupid political jamboree. they even disgraced us wit continuous power outage. its a shameful n meaninless political jamboree without concrete effect on d region. too much talk talk!

1 Like

Re: Jonathan Shuns South-south Economic Summit…says: “it Is A Political Jamboree” by aljharem(m): 2:55pm On Apr 26, 2012
good cheesy cheesy cheesy now you are acting more like a nigerian leader
Re: Jonathan Shuns South-south Economic Summit…says: “it Is A Political Jamboree” by cantell(m): 3:02pm On Apr 26, 2012
alj harem: good cheesy cheesy cheesy now you are acting more like a nigerian leader
He's now a good Nigerian leader cos he shunned his people abi? Una get problem.
Re: Jonathan Shuns South-south Economic Summit…says: “it Is A Political Jamboree” by Ejine(m): 4:04pm On Apr 26, 2012
Watching the summit, I actually think President Jonathan made a smart decision on this one.

Save for Wole Soyinka, the rest of the summit is a nonsensical show of absolute nothingness, pointless chatter and numerous power outage goofs here and there.
Couple that with the fact that this is nothing but overfed men mounting the podium to read crap that will not be implemented, then I fully support the president's decision to shun this idiocy.

If I'm correct, this summit was also held last year. What has it achieved? Nothing!
Re: Jonathan Shuns South-south Economic Summit…says: “it Is A Political Jamboree” by jason123: 7:52pm On Apr 26, 2012
Didn't watch it. Do you guys have a link?
Re: Jonathan Shuns South-south Economic Summit…says: “it Is A Political Jamboree” by aljharem(m): 7:53pm On Apr 26, 2012
cantell:
He's now a good Nigerian leader cos he shunned his people abi? Una get problem.

Shun his people ? Who are his people, Nigerians or SS ?

Imagine Obasanjo or yaradua attending Afenifere or arewa meeting during their tenure ? Sir you are the one with the problem here
Re: Jonathan Shuns South-south Economic Summit…says: “it Is A Political Jamboree” by egift(m): 8:43pm On Apr 26, 2012
Yeye report...What is "shun" here that he went to African Regional meeting and was able to attend. They should just admit the whole thing turned a failure.

Who will pay for the huge tax payers funds wasted in publicity in his name? How about the N7.4billion wasted in 10 days to clear hills at the airport in Delta for him? https://www.nairaland.com/911914/delta-govt-votes-7.4bn-demolish
Re: Jonathan Shuns South-south Economic Summit…says: “it Is A Political Jamboree” by Callotti: 5:48am On Apr 27, 2012
I would not attend such a gathering myself.
Before 'Oyedepo' prophesy come true again.
After 'brother' poison 'brother'!
He should know better! grin
Re: Jonathan Shuns South-south Economic Summit…says: “it Is A Political Jamboree” by otokx(m): 10:19am On Apr 27, 2012
Good move by Mr President
Re: Jonathan Shuns South-south Economic Summit…says: “it Is A Political Jamboree” by aljharem(m): 7:52am On Apr 28, 2012
otokx: Good move by Mr President

Thank you jare my ikwerre brother. At least you are honest

(1) (Reply)

Beautify Your House Or Go To Jail / Anambra Oil: Ohanaeze Media Forum Cautions Against Violence / Goodluck Jonathan Again?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 21
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.