Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,093 members, 7,818,281 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 11:47 AM

Should Lagos State Govt Pay House Officers Teaching Allowance bcause FGN pays it - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Should Lagos State Govt Pay House Officers Teaching Allowance bcause FGN pays it (11237 Views)

Amaechi Pays N800 Million Per Term To Indians To Train 750 Secondary School Kids / Industrial Training Fund (ITF) Pays Students SIWES Allowance / Bauchi State Govt Sacks 194 Striking Lecturers (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Should Lagos State Govt Pay House Officers Teaching Allowance bcause FGN pays it by onomeasike: 1:22am On May 03, 2012
I read the press release of the medical guild of Lagos-state employed medical doctors and i shudder at the quality of the leadership of their organisation.Truth be told,these guys are very shallow and I dont need to look further why they can not win intellecetual debate with a cerebral leader like Fashola.
The paid advert in the punch newspapers actually listed,among their grievances,the payment of teaching allowance to house officers who are under training!!
The NMA LAGOS CHAPTER President made the worst of all contributions to the debate.He said that any doctor that takes up employment with the lagos state govt will be reported to medical and dental coucil of nigeria for disciplinary action that may result into the withdrawal of his professional license!!

Now the worst and latest contribution is that just 10million naira is the cause of the strike(sun newspaper,2 may,2012) and it is as if the agitation of these guys is already doomed for failure if it left in the hands of these their current leaders.
Would you pay teaching allowance to house officers if you are governor of Lagos state?
Re: Should Lagos State Govt Pay House Officers Teaching Allowance bcause FGN pays it by ziga: 1:56am On May 03, 2012
Well. . .

I guess you do not understand what a medical house officer is.

They are not students. They are qualified medical doctors who are bottom of the rank. Therefore, they spend most of their time in the hospitals - thus the name house officers.

Should entry level workers in the bank or in any profession for that matter not be paid because they are just gathering experience for the first time

House officers contribute a great deal to filling up the gaps in health care in Nigeria.

And until we start to value human life, we will never, ever realize that our nation is upside down - Politicians are chopping Nigeria into bits and people like you think that it is right for health care workers who care for the health of other sick people should suffer!!!
Re: Should Lagos State Govt Pay House Officers Teaching Allowance bcause FGN pays it by naijaking1: 5:16am On May 03, 2012
onomeasike: I read the press release of the medical guild of Lagos-state employed medical doctors and i shudder at the quality of the leadership of their organisation.Truth be told,these guys are very shallow and I dont need to look further why they can not win intellecetual debate with a cerebral leader like Fashola.
The paid advert in the punch newspapers actually listed,among their grievances,the payment of teaching allowance to house officers who are under training!!
The NMA LAGOS CHAPTER President made the worst of all contributions to the debate.He said that any doctor that takes up employment with the lagos state govt will be reported to medical and dental coucil of nigeria for disciplinary action that may result into the withdrawal of his professional license!!

Now the worst and latest contribution is that just 10million naira is the cause of the strike(sun newspaper,2 may,2012) and it is as if the agitation of these guys is already doomed for failure if it left in the hands of these their current leaders.
Would you pay teaching allowance to house officers if you are governor of Lagos state?

The problem with Nigeria is examplifies by this ignorant post.
Very uninformed, illitrate/ignorant, and blind people wake up every morning and start discussing topics they have no knowledge about. It's ok when they discuss these issues as in beer parlours, but when they discuss and address issues they're totally ignorant about as decision makers, then the result is a total calamity.
It's ok to be ignorant, but there is no reason to be loud about it.

This poster has displayed the worst type of ignorance regarding a pubic issue he has no iota of knowlwdge about.
First, he doesn't even know what a medical house officer is, he doesn't know the job of a medical house officer, and worst of all he doesn't know how the patient and society benefit from the services of a house officer. Yet he's here to open his dirty big mouth and spew ignorance.

Tell me a modern healthcare system where house officers are not paid, is it in UK, USA, or France? A little knowledge and small reading would have done you a lot of good before coming here to say stu.pid and mo..ronic statements.
Re: Should Lagos State Govt Pay House Officers Teaching Allowance bcause FGN pays it by hercules07: 6:51am On May 03, 2012
The question was should they be paid teaching allowances and not if they should be paid at all, our doctors want to earn what US doctors earn without the commitment that those ones give, please tune in to radios to hear tales of woes from patients due to the ineptitude of the doctors and their supporting staff.
Re: Should Lagos State Govt Pay House Officers Teaching Allowance bcause FGN pays it by Nobody: 7:31am On May 03, 2012
imo, If they want teaching allowance, then they should resign and apply for FG jobs.
Re: Should Lagos State Govt Pay House Officers Teaching Allowance bcause FGN pays it by ziga: 10:48am On May 03, 2012
hercules07: The question was should they be paid teaching allowances and not if they should be paid at all, our doctors want to earn what US doctors earn without the commitment that those ones give, please tune in to radios to hear tales of woes from patients due to the ineptitude of the doctors and their supporting staff.

Well. In terms of teaching allowance, I agree that they shouldn't be paid teaching allowance. but there is so much in terms of "allowances" that they should be paid, but they do not receive.

And your comment about them earning as much as US doctors aches my belly.

You better know that US doctors seem to be as committed as they are because they US government supports the health of the Nation and their doctors are generally taken care of. To whom much is given, much is expected. . . . That is the way we say it, and not the other way round. . . To whom much is expected, much is given!!!
Re: Should Lagos State Govt Pay House Officers Teaching Allowance bcause FGN pays it by doctokwus: 11:35am On May 03, 2012
Can someone post d link in punch newspaper where their agitation is over payment of teaching allowance to house officers.Ever since d govt propped dis up as d reason for d renewed strike,av bn very skeptical& I think d govt is just being cynical.Medical guid went on strike bc 'house officers refused to b paid teaching allowance'& some pple are swallowing dis govt story.It takes a lot for evn residents& medical officers to agree on a general strike,evn when d issues are plain cut& affects d profession,somebody now wants to convince me dis present strike is over teaching allowance for house officers.I challenge any person to post d link where d present strike is based on dis.
Re: Should Lagos State Govt Pay House Officers Teaching Allowance bcause FGN pays it by texazzpete(m): 2:34pm On May 03, 2012
I posted this in another thred. I'll repost

Doctors have gone on strike repeatedly over failure of the Lagos State government to live up to agreements and solutions agreed on in the past. Before the Lagos State govt was babbling last year about requiring the House to pass the budget before the demands were implemented. Now it's this ridiculous blackmail that's making the rounds.

I don't care to know if it's teaching allowance or not...The Lagos doctors are not demanding anything above what their federal counterparts are receiving. What is so wrong with that? What is so wrong with doctors asking for remuneration commensurate with the years they have put in in terms of education, the risks they face in their workplace (accidental infections, beatings and abuse from irate family members, HIV etc), the late working hours for those on call, the trauma of immersing themselves in blood and gore day in day out. They deserve to be well paid. Foolish people will babble about the doctors' oaths to preserve life...but Nigeria is not a normal country where dedication to that oath will be rewarded.
I have NEVER heard of any Lagos Landlord slashing house rents for medical doctors. I have NEVER heard of Silverbird, Genesis or other big shopping malls/event centres giving doctors a special discount. They pay the same bills as anyone else and thus they share the same need to make as much money as they can to support their families.

The people of Lagos should hold themselves responsible for this in some way. This is the THIRD major strike in 2 years and still they have not yet seen the need to demand for sanity in their leaders. Their leaders can afford all the bravado...they are covered by private hospitals. Lagosians should gather their balls and call their leaders to order. Pending that, let them continue to suffer. Na only suffering dey redeem Nigerians sef.

This is the same way the Government of Nigeria carried out their insidious and brainless campaign of calumny against ASUU, drowning all legitimate demands by ASUU under accusations of selfishness on the part of the lecturers. Now our Universities today are Pathetic!

1 Like

Re: Should Lagos State Govt Pay House Officers Teaching Allowance bcause FGN pays it by texazzpete(m): 2:37pm On May 03, 2012
hercules07: please tune in to radios to hear tales of woes from patients due to the ineptitude of the doctors and their supporting staff.

I read reports online about people being scammed by Nigerians. You are a Nigerian. Does that automatically make you a scammer?

Good news is rarely ever aired while bad news is shouted out to the skies. Go to hospitals and hear tales of joy from people who have been treated successfully by medical doctors in Nigeria.

An easy way to increase the output of doctors is to improve their morale by an improvement in their standard of living and their terms of employment. Let the Lagos State government pay up and stop making noise. The monies committed by the state to celebrate Tinubu's birthday would have easily covered all the reasonable demands the doctors are making.
Re: Should Lagos State Govt Pay House Officers Teaching Allowance bcause FGN pays it by Geomac: 2:40pm On May 03, 2012
texazzpete: I posted this in another thred. I'll repost

Doctors have gone on strike repeatedly over failure of the Lagos State government to live up to agreements and solutions agreed on in the past. Before the Lagos State govt was babbling last year about requiring the House to pass the budget before the demands were implemented. Now it's this ridiculous blackmail that's making the rounds.

I don't care to know if it's teaching allowance or not...The Lagos doctors are not demanding anything above what their federal counterparts are receiving. What is so wrong with that? What is so wrong with doctors asking for remuneration commensurate with the years they have put in in terms of education, the risks they face in their workplace (accidental infections, beatings and abuse from irate family members, HIV etc), the late working hours for those on call, the trauma of immersing themselves in blood and gore day in day out. They deserve to be well paid. Foolish people will babble about the doctors' oaths to preserve life...but Nigeria is not a normal country where dedication to that oath will be rewarded.
I have NEVER heard of any Lagos Landlord slashing house rents for medical doctors. I have NEVER heard of Silverbird, Genesis or other big shopping malls/event centres giving doctors a special discount. They pay the same bills as anyone else and thus they share the same need to make as much money as they can to support their families.

The people of Lagos should hold themselves responsible for this in some way. This is the THIRD major strike in 2 years and still they have not yet seen the need to demand for sanity in their leaders. Their leaders can afford all the bravado...they are covered by private hospitals. Lagosians should gather their balls and call their leaders to order. Pending that, let them continue to suffer. Na only suffering dey redeem Nigerians sef.

This is the same way the Government of Nigeria carried out their insidious and brainless campaign of calumny against ASUU, drowning all legitimate demands by ASUU under accusations of selfishness on the part of the lecturers. Now our Universities today are Pathetic!

God bless you sir
Re: Should Lagos State Govt Pay House Officers Teaching Allowance bcause FGN pays it by Nobody: 2:51pm On May 03, 2012
Written by Muda Oyeniran, Lagos
Saturday, 28 April 2012

NO fewer than four lives had been lost as the strike declared by the Lagos doctors under the aegis of the Medical Guilds entered its fifth day today, Saturday Tribune has gathered.

According to hospital sources, two people lost their lives on Tuesday at the Lagos Island General Hospital while two corpses were said to have been moved out of the Accident and Emergency Unit of the Lagos State University Teaching Hospital(LASUTH) on Wednesday.

Meanwhile, the Lagos state government has started recruiting new doctors to replace the striking ones in order to prevent needless loss of lives.

The chairman, Medical Advisory Committee to the Lagos State governor, Dr Ore Falomo, who disclosed this at a press conference on Friday, said more than a quarter of the striking doctors were newly recruited by the state.

He accused the doctors of being inconsiderate, disrespectful and fraudulent, saying that their perpetual strike actions were capable of putting the medical profession which respects the sanctity of human life into disrepute.

“There will be replacement of the striking doctors in our hospitals. The NYSC doctors will be deployed to hospitals to take care of emergency services while doctors in private practice will provide free medical services in public hospitals in the state free of charge. The striking doctors should stop playing God,” he said.

“We are not justifying strike or no strike, but this is a noble profession that has to do with lives and this is why we are saying that there are better ways to achieve their aims and objectives instead of embarking on strike at the slightest opportunity. Nobody can pay doctors enough, but they should change their methodology,” Falomo said.

The body also advised that henceforth, there should be an undertaking by House Officers and Resident Doctors not to engage in strike actions.

“We believe Medical Doctors should be guided by the Hippocratic Oaths sworn to and exhaust all possible avenues for negotiation and lobbying without paralysing healthcare services in entirety,” he added.

Meanwhile, the Lagos State government, in a press release, noted that the doctors, on Tuesday, trooped to Island Maternity Hospital, where they disrupted services and, in the process, inconveniencing recuperating patients, in their attempt to stop some of their colleagues who refused to join their illegal action, before they were dispersed by security agencies.

According to the release, their major grouse with government was a frivolous demand for “Teaching Allowance” for House Officers, who are doctors-in-training, [/b]still being taught the practical aspects of the job to prepare them well for the challenges of the caring profession. House Officers will only be eligible to proceed on National Youth Service Corps based on their success at this Housemanship.

[b]The Doctors are also demanding an inconsiderate increase in their salaries without recourse to the other professionals in the public service system, despite currently receiving the full Consolidated Medical Salary Structure (CONMESS), by which the least paid among them (the House Officers), receive over N173,000.00 monthly

The government accused the doctors of exploiting every flimsy excuse to divert patients from government hospitals to their private clinics, most of which are located close to government hospitals under the guise of ill-conceived strike.

It assured the public that normalcy will soon be restored, stating that, death of citizens of Lagos will no longer be part of the culture of the health service.

hmmm. Patients don dey pai already. Everyone should just go on strike including the government.

http://tribune.com.ng/sat/index.php/front-page-articles/7230-doctors-strike-lagos-govt-recruits-new-doctors-as-strike-claims-4-lives.html
Re: Should Lagos State Govt Pay House Officers Teaching Allowance bcause FGN pays it by lexus1: 3:09pm On May 03, 2012
God is not a panacea [img]http://www.spgames.info/g.gif[/img]
Re: Should Lagos State Govt Pay House Officers Teaching Allowance bcause FGN pays it by Nobody: 3:14pm On May 03, 2012
Culled from the Punch.
Strike: Senior doctors drafted into Lagos antenatal clinics

TDBABA May 3, 2012 at 7:57 am
@ chris, do u see beyond ur nose at all?i dnt abuse and will not start frm you,i will only advice u to be prepare cos u ‘ll soon be a leader (head of family) if not yet one.to d issue @ hand,i strongly believe dis soo called doctors are selfish, are they d only lag public workers?[/b]many of dis doctor earn 600 to 700 for litle or no effort to show for the urge money being paid dem,yet any simple issue dey treating to go on strike,whereas dey (doctor) work in two or three diff hospital even some has their own hospital which make dem turn d public hospital as a means of generating fund for deir own hospital. dis is total madnes by dis shameless doctor.to hell with dem

Yomi Oloko May 3, 2012 at 8:43 am
[b]Unfortunate it seems that [b]junior doctors
in Lagos have realised they have a very powerful barging chip, the lives of their patients.[/b]
Why can’t doctors be punished by their employers if they commit a sackable offense.
After all they don’t have to work for government they can set up their own clinics and hospitals [if they haven’t already done so while still working in government services.
Personally this strike has made me lose my respect for such doctors as they seem to think nothing about the lives of ordinary citizens that are lost as a result of their strikes.
And when challenged on this fact they turn around and blame the Lagos State government.
as if they don’t have any responsibility in the matter.

Tay Tayo May 3, 2012 at 9:34 am
I have said before and will continue to say it. Lagos State Doctors are descending to depths of criminality and irresponsibility. They are amongst the highest paid civil servants in the land, yet they are asking for a reduction in their taxes. These same doctors will refer patients to their private hospitals, these same doctors are brusque and rude to their patients, these same doctors will insist that they enter civil service on level 10 because they are superior, these same doctors are sacrificing the lives of their patients over money, these same doctors are supposed to have sworn the hippocratic oath, these same doctors went into hospitals and FORCIBLY chased out their fellow doctors so that they can drive home a crazy point.

I begin to wonder why these doctors think they can hold the society to ransom. A bunch of educated criminals that doesnt care about the lives of people. I refuse to listen to any argument these doctors can put forward, because they have become a disgrace to the noble proffession of medicine. Imagine doctors doing aluta!

Of course, the Lagos state government is not all right, but the doctors just have messed up too much. Every single doctor that is participating in this strike should be fired and prosecuted in a competent court of law for criminal negligence and mutiny. Employ new doctors and make the new ones swear an oath that they wont tow the crazy path that their predecessors towed. enough is enough. Patients cant continue to die!

AMUSA YAHAYA TAIWO May 3, 2012 at 9:45 am
Medical Doctors in any government hospitals both state and federal were all unethical and insensitive to patients plights,they went on strike at will,threaten govt on any flimsy excuses upon that they attend to patients as if they are doing you a favour whenever you went to the hospital.The most annoying is that the Nigeria Medical Association that is always at the forefront whenever there is agitation for increased remuneration by it’s members can’t even call them to order, what an irony! They can’t run down lagos state,it’s being in existence before they were born and it’s would continue to be,afterall our universities are still churning out young,brilliant,adventurous and brave medical graduates to takeover from them.History would judge them by their actions and inactions of today,a word is enough for a wise.

Kola May 3, 2012 at 11:39 am
What sort of people are this so call doctors going on strike at will, they may be brilliants in their own way, but do they have any ethical standards or moral fibre, No matter what the piority of any standard doctor is to save lives, money will not be an issue, Like most nigeria we go in to profession such as, Doctor Accountant, lawyer, not with passion, but to show off if friends, relatives or circle of intellects. The white world study in any fleld to help their communities and people that need their services. We Nigerians are not that way,our focus and direction is always in opposite direction of things. Our economic policy too do not cascade, it’s always hanging. It is about time the MEDICAL SCHOOL do not base their intake alone of passing Biology, chemistry and mathematics, behaviour, core values and qualities have to be incorporated in how people will behave in public. We can compare Uk medical doctors ethical standards and values to that of Nigera. i have experience the two, the Nigeria one need to be cultures, manners and how to talk to patient, not to brag am a Doctor, know one cares,you are making a living like Akoni, carpenter by the road side.

Akintayo May 3, 2012 at 12:55 pm
Whilst we are all quick to condemn the doctors for what their strike, can Lagos State please publish a print out of the terms and conditions agreed (and signed) with the doctors previously along with evidence of its implementation.
If the government has not fulfilled their agreement, then I see no reason why the doctors should be blamed

okland May 3, 2012 at 1:36 pm
Omo Fashola is working doctors are sleeping. no wahala. Eko o ni baje ooooooooooo

http://www.punchng.com/news/strike-senior-doctors-drafted-into-lagos-antenatal-clinics/
Re: Should Lagos State Govt Pay House Officers Teaching Allowance bcause FGN pays it by phantom(m): 3:32pm On May 03, 2012
grin grin...fashola wants to build high-rise hospitals but doesnt want to put well paid doctors in it because those doctors wont wont appear on threads in "skyscrapercity.com"........joker!!
@OP do you know that the house officer is the one who basically carries the hospital??after every doctor has gone the HO remains behind to make sure your realation gets his IV drug at 2 or 3 amdo you know its the HO who runs to the the blood bank to make sure that baby in newborn unit gets the blood he needs to livedo you know its the house officer officer your wufe will most likely meet when she goes into labour and rushes to the hospital? angry
My friend please go and educate yourself before you comment on issues that are way beyond you....
AND WHY THE HELL SHOULD'NT THEY BE PAID TEACHING ALLOWANCE do you also know that ideally part of the job description of a house officer is to TEACH medical students?medical students who go for ward tutorials by 10 or 11pm do not go to be taught by consultants.......EDUCATE YOURSELF!!!

1 Like

Re: Should Lagos State Govt Pay House Officers Teaching Allowance bcause FGN pays it by phantom(m): 3:41pm On May 03, 2012
and i guess a governor like rotimi amaechi who only recently bought brand new cars (toyota corolla 2011 for junior doctors and honda accord 2011 for senior doctors) FOR ALL THE DOCTORS IN THE STATE EMPLOY is a fool abi?
this is exactly why our leaders will continue to violate us because unfortunately many nigerians think like you....
Your senate president jets off to isreal for medical treatment(on your bill) and nobaody cries blue murder..but the hardworking doctors trying to hold our healthcare system together in this shithole of a country ask for more money and all hell is let loose.... angry angry
Re: Should Lagos State Govt Pay House Officers Teaching Allowance bcause FGN pays it by Exponental(m): 3:51pm On May 03, 2012
If it has a legal backing, why not?
But it sounds absurd....... They want 2 collect their schl fees back before getting a job.
Re: Should Lagos State Govt Pay House Officers Teaching Allowance bcause FGN pays it by stagger: 3:53pm On May 03, 2012
Governments always have a penchant for not obeying the terms of agreements that it signs.

As for Dr Ore Falomo, I think he should shut his mouth. After eating fat from MKO Abiola's family and the Lagos State government all these years, he does not have money problems so he should not be in a position to be making noise. After all, was he not once a house officer?
Re: Should Lagos State Govt Pay House Officers Teaching Allowance bcause FGN pays it by kolexy(m): 4:01pm On May 03, 2012
These civil(thieving) servants are the bane of our society. Imagine teaching allowance for Trainees.

Just unbelievable!
Re: Should Lagos State Govt Pay House Officers Teaching Allowance bcause FGN pays it by Lushka(m): 4:09pm On May 03, 2012
[color=#990000][/color]
People shld be careful about issues they are not conversant with. The lower cadre of doctors( Registrars and House Officers) are the backbone of all the tertiary institutions in nigeria. Denying them the paltry being given to them is wickedness that cries to heavens. These are men and woman who live the greater part of their lives in hospitals, exposing themselves to all kinds of hazards like lassa fever and lagos state govt is proud to shout that it is giving the lowest doctor paltry 173000. God will forgive you all.
Re: Should Lagos State Govt Pay House Officers Teaching Allowance bcause FGN pays it by kay1one(m): 4:16pm On May 03, 2012
naijaking1:

The problem with Nigeria is examplifies by this ignorant post.
Very uninformed, illitrate/ignorant, and blind people wake up every morning and start discussing topics they have no knowledge about. It's ok when they discuss these issues as in beer parlours, but when they discuss and address issues they're totally ignorant about as decision makers, then the result is a total calamity.
It's ok to be ignorant, but there is no reason to be loud about it.

This poster has displayed the worst type of ignorance regarding a pubic issue he has no iota of knowlwdge about.
First, he doesn't even know what a medical house officer is, he doesn't know the job of a medical house officer, and worst of all he doesn't know how the patient and society benefit from the services of a house officer. Yet he's here to open his dirty big mouth and spew ignorance.

Tell me a modern healthcare system where house officers are not paid, is it in UK, USA, or France? A little knowledge and small reading would have done you a lot of good before coming here to say stu.pid and mo..ronic statements.
AFTER ALL THIS RANT I THOUGHT YOU WERE GOING TO SAY SOMETHING REASONABLE! THE ISSUE IS ABOUT TEACHING ALLOWANCE NOT PAY!
AS A DOCTOR I UNDERSTAND THE POLITICS OF THIS THING! THERE ARE 4 POSITIONS ABOVE THAT OF A HO;(CONSULTANT, SNR. REGISTRAR, REGISTRAR, AND SOMETIMES A MEDICAL OFFICER OR SNR. HOUSE OFFICER!) AND THEY ALL TEACH! SO WHY BOTHER PAY A BUNCH OF NEWBIES 10 EXTRA K WHEN THEY ARE ALSO LEARNING ON THE JOB! THE STATE IS TRYING TO SAVE AS MUCH MONEY AS POSSIBLE FOR OTHER NEEDS! MOST HOUSE OFFICERS ARE NOT EVEN BOTHERED ABOUT THE 10 EXTRA K! WHY THEIR BOSSES ARE BARKING IS SO THEY CAN COLLET A CHUCK OF THE MONEY BACK AS 'FEES!!!'! LET ME ALSO STATE THAT LAGOS STATE HAS TRIED! GO TO OTHER STATES AND SEE HOW MUCH THEY PAY THEM FIRST YOU GO SHOUT!!
Re: Should Lagos State Govt Pay House Officers Teaching Allowance bcause FGN pays it by Lushka(m): 4:18pm On May 03, 2012
MUCH ADO ABOUT NOTHING.
TEACHING ALLOWANCE FOR HO IS JUST TOKEN 9000 a month. Nonsense!!!!!!!
Re: Should Lagos State Govt Pay House Officers Teaching Allowance bcause FGN pays it by helpee(m): 4:33pm On May 03, 2012
Can people stop blackmailing doctors with the so called hippocratic oath! So doctors are supposed to be charity workers while the society milk them dry? Patients prefer a doctor they can give one thousand naira tip after treatment while they ride in their own assorted range rovers. Tell me...what are they doing in shell that low cadre workers can afford luxury yet doctors are struggling to live. Why should the doctors consider the poor masses? The doctors are part of the poor masses so they should tell their elected officials who spent one billion on the birthday of a chicago trained(forged) politician. Doctors can't continue to be important only when lives are being lost. They must also be important when houses are being bought, when cars are being bought and if the society can't appreciate a doctor for saving lives they should not condemn when such lives are being lost. Risk allowance alone should be above a million naira per annum. If a doctor mistakenly contact HIV in d course of his work, he infects the wife and the children risk being orphaned without any govt support. You spend most nights working while the rich politicians are busy sleeping with your at home. We were in school when virtually all our mates were already using cars and getting married and now the society want doctors to consider them to the detriment of the doctors life and welfare. What a selfish society! Doctors...u better continue the strike till the govt knows you are very serious this time around

3 Likes

Re: Should Lagos State Govt Pay House Officers Teaching Allowance bcause FGN pays it by chuksbogus: 4:34pm On May 03, 2012
anybody here dat opened his or her mouth to say lagos state govt should pay teaching allowance to house officers must be a fool. House officers to senior registras ar all student except consultants. Yes u can say registras can get teaching but house officers who ar among the reason teaching allowance is being paid to others ar also demanding to be paid teaching,who ar dey teaching.,?is it med students dat they ar not better than or who?doctors ar know to be too proud and thinks they ar indespensible.to hell with them,they should reason with their heads not their phalus or asses.

1 Like

Re: Should Lagos State Govt Pay House Officers Teaching Allowance bcause FGN pays it by Nobody: 4:54pm On May 03, 2012
Ore falomo is a male parrot,a propangandist of repute,a controversial govt apologist,he pays docs in his hosp. D least in nigeria. He tried to destroy nma yrs back wv d launching of nma patriots(parrots) he failed n descends so low to bcom cmac for lag.state.he is indeed an xprc old mole dt got nothing to offer our generatn.Dr. Falomo..Dr falomo...u are only adding fuel to a burning vehicle, salt to injury....at d end of d strike d striking docs wi triumph ova ur falsehood.
Re: Should Lagos State Govt Pay House Officers Teaching Allowance bcause FGN pays it by agabaI23(m): 5:04pm On May 03, 2012
ziga: Well. . .

I guess you do not understand what a medical house officer is.

They are not students. They are qualified medical doctors who are bottom of the rank. Therefore, they spend most of their time in the hospitals - thus the name house officers.

Should entry level workers in the bank or in any profession for that matter not be paid because they are just gathering experience for the first time

House officers contribute a great deal to filling up the gaps in health care in Nigeria.

And until we start to value human life, we will never, ever realize that our nation is upside down - Politicians are chopping Nigeria into bits and people like you think that it is right for health care workers who care for the health of other sick people should suffer!!!
Get over that your valuing human life argument and answer the question. The obvious answer is no. You cannot pay teaching allowance to someone who does not teach. Teaching allowance is ok for residents but for house officers, it is an aberration.
Re: Should Lagos State Govt Pay House Officers Teaching Allowance bcause FGN pays it by phantom(m): 5:27pm On May 03, 2012
kay-1one:

AFTER ALL THIS RANT I THOUGHT YOU WERE GOING TO SAY SOMETHING REASONABLE! THE ISSUE IS ABOUT TEACHING ALLOWANCE NOT PAY!
AS A DOCTOR I UNDERSTAND THE POLITICS OF THIS THING! THERE ARE 4 POSITIONS ABOVE THAT OF A HO;(CONSULTANT, SNR. REGISTRAR, REGISTRAR, AND SOMETIMES A MEDICAL OFFICER OR SNR. HOUSE OFFICER!) AND THEY ALL TEACH! SO WHY BOTHER PAY A BUNCH OF NEWBIES 10 EXTRA K WHEN THEY ARE ALSO LEARNING ON THE JOB! THE STATE IS TRYING TO SAVE AS MUCH MONEY AS POSSIBLE FOR OTHER NEEDS! MOST HOUSE OFFICERS ARE NOT EVEN BOTHERED ABOUT THE 10 EXTRA K! WHY THEIR BOSSES ARE BARKING IS SO THEY CAN COLLET A CHUCK OF THE MONEY BACK AS 'FEES!!!'! LET ME ALSO STATE THAT LAGOS STATE HAS TRIED! GO TO OTHER STATES AND SEE HOW MUCH THEY PAY THEM FIRST YOU GO SHOUT!!
stop talking nonsense....come to rivers state and see what your mates are doing not forgetting lagos state is richer....
you are a doctor...let me guess...snr regconsultant with a brain like yours your salary should be given to a house officer because as far as i am concerned giving it to you is a colossal waste... undecided
Re: Should Lagos State Govt Pay House Officers Teaching Allowance bcause FGN pays it by otokx(m): 5:40pm On May 03, 2012
Teaching allowance should not be paid to students.
Re: Should Lagos State Govt Pay House Officers Teaching Allowance bcause FGN pays it by omicron(m): 5:49pm On May 03, 2012
In medicine, everybody teaches.

1 Like

Re: Should Lagos State Govt Pay House Officers Teaching Allowance bcause FGN pays it by shoboy9: 5:49pm On May 03, 2012
Who posted this?? I've seen the adverts that the medical guild put in the papers, the reply from LASG and subsequent one by senior doctors in LASG employ and this is not the issue on ground at all! Maybe the OP seized on this because he is ignorant of what obtains in the health system and why it is so. If so, very unfortunate and iiresponsible response I must say.

For clarity, the doctors have been going on strike over and over again because of the same issue- CONMESS. They say the LASG has agreed to pay but always reneges on its agreement. I find it difficult to doubt that because we all know the political class. Lagos in particular is a den of thievery that I hope they do not allow to come to the medical sector because more people will die.

It isn't that the medical sector is clean, far from it but its far better than other aspects of the civil service where the bribes are paid upfront. Jeunsoke is the rule of thumb. There are times civil servants are owed for months and noone hears anything about it.

But Lagos claims it has 1100 drs to serve a population greater than 10million! What kind of service is the health system supposed to deliver to the people with such abysmal numbers? You go to any of these hospitals and you see so many people being dehumanized waiting long hours to receive attention from a single dr. At the end of that wait, can they ever get quality service?

If the drs are poorly paid, what kind of frustrated service will they give? Even worse, the state AGREED to pay. I think the very worst kind of employer is the one that changes your wages. To me, such a govt does not deserve trust in anything. And the same govt goes ahead to play politics with the health of Lagosians. I think its very sad for the people.

Tinubu tax is legend and does not need comment unless you don't live in Lagos. A lot of companies are looking into ways to relocate outside the city because of it. In the civil service, tax cuts are used abitrarily to punish and extort money from employees. Sometimes people are taxed upto 40% of the income! And the LASG defends its insane tax! If our newspapers had enough integrity, its a very simle exercise to check the payslips of LASG workers and drs and see what happens.

Finally, why not privatise the health system? That will end a lot of problems. But people will likely resist the idea because of the poverty of the people. A poverty that our politicians continue to ignore to the benefit of their pocket and the detriment of their country men. I sorry for naija.
Re: Should Lagos State Govt Pay House Officers Teaching Allowance bcause FGN pays it by kay1one(m): 5:54pm On May 03, 2012
phantom:
stop talking nonsense....come to rivers state and see what your mates are doing not forgetting lagos state is richer....
you are a doctor...let me guess...snr regconsultant with a brain like yours your salary should be given to a house officer because as far as i am concerned giving it to you is a colossal waste... undecided
U R JUST DUMB! SO BECAUSE OF 10 K PEOPLE SHOULD BE DYING? AM AN MO...
Re: Should Lagos State Govt Pay House Officers Teaching Allowance bcause FGN pays it by Nobody: 5:55pm On May 03, 2012
People prefer to waste their money on luxury.people spend thousands or millions for parties and enjoyment.they find it difficult to pay doctors for services.in fact pharmaciss make money than doctors in private sector.doctors are not being treated fairly in this country.on teaching allowance,house officers teach medical students.on risk allowance,5k monthly is non-sense.on LASG,Fashola wants cheap labour.on ore falomo,he is a stupid medical elder.
Re: Should Lagos State Govt Pay House Officers Teaching Allowance bcause FGN pays it by texazzpete(m): 6:13pm On May 03, 2012
kolexy: These civil(thieving) servants are the bane of our society. Imagine teaching allowance for Trainees.

Just unbelievable!

poorly educated people like you are the bane of our nation. Imagine a half-wit calling house officers 'trainees'.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

OAU Post-UTME: 35.823 Students Only 7.663 Scored 200 & Above / Lasu Post-jamb Is Out. / "Most JAMB Students Cannot Successfully Use A Computer System" - Invigilator

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 109
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.