Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,598 members, 7,827,255 topics. Date: Tuesday, 14 May 2024 at 09:42 AM

More Updates On The Lagos Light Rail Project & 10Lane Lagos-Badagry Express Way - Travel (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / More Updates On The Lagos Light Rail Project & 10Lane Lagos-Badagry Express Way (40091 Views)

Lagos Light Rail Project To Be Completed By Dec 2016 – Ambode / "We Can't Complete Lagos Light Rail Project" - Fashola / In Pictures Fashola Inspects Trains, Facilities For Lagos Light Rail In Canada (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: More Updates On The Lagos Light Rail Project & 10Lane Lagos-Badagry Express Way by Hemanwel(m): 5:57pm On May 03, 2012
Standing5: I want to know:
Where does the Rail way track lead to?
Will it support Cargo in order to free up badly needed road of excess traffic? if yes, what is its capacity and how many people and cargo can it barry per time?
will be affordable or Will it be for the rich like most of his project?
Will it be like his Lekki and Badagry project where he has only succeeded in increasing the amount of vehicle arriving at a already chaotic spot (like Mile 2) and wasting money on extra lanes? or he is just embarking on a white collar project to steal and score cheap political point simultaneously?

@standing5..it's 'white elephant project' not 'white collar project'...roger dat!
Re: More Updates On The Lagos Light Rail Project & 10Lane Lagos-Badagry Express Way by Rhino5dm: 6:00pm On May 03, 2012
Stop your nonsense! You are NOT Ibo. You have been rejected and even your latest trick of "insulting" ofenmanu won't make you one. . .I'm way beyond what you think.

keep up the faking with "broken" Ibo language.

Alusi Okija:

Taaa!! Mechie onu!!

Atleast, Alaba Market revenue alone would pay for a quarter of the cost of that bridge. . . What you should be asking is how does NURTW, OPC, Alayes and agberoism contribute to that rail!!
Re: More Updates On The Lagos Light Rail Project & 10Lane Lagos-Badagry Express Way by otokx(m): 6:11pm On May 03, 2012
Just 2 pictures and some are impressed; smh
Re: More Updates On The Lagos Light Rail Project & 10Lane Lagos-Badagry Express Way by aljharem(m): 6:21pm On May 03, 2012
omar22: @alj harem

I do understand what you are saying but Lagos is far bigger than most of the european cities and the Light Rail service is far more expensive to run than a normal tain and they don't have more than 3 carriages (4 if you want to push your luck) so how its going to transport their forcast figures is looney! But hey the project is already cracking on!

Oh I see what you mean. You are talking of mass transport (8 carriage full). My brother I don't think Lagos is that large in population. In fact I doubt if people would know the value of this when it starts initially but as time goes on, people would warm up to it.

An eight carriage or so as you suggested would not work on electricity but on gas or crude oil product for more power unless you are talking about electric trains which we cannot afford now. Lagosians cannot afford given the fact that

1. Oil would soon finish

2. We don't want to be seen as parasites.

It is better for a state like Osun or Ogun to build a dam or so (talking like a layman) to power such then Lagos depending of Oil again.

I hope you see my point. smiley
Re: More Updates On The Lagos Light Rail Project & 10Lane Lagos-Badagry Express Way by pheesayor(m): 7:25pm On May 03, 2012
angry The bridge is called lagoon bridge, and who questioned why they used a bridge It is just from orile to the island, over the existing roads and bridges there. How else will the light rail go from orile to cms without a bridge? Some people should learn about things before asking annoying questions angry
Re: More Updates On The Lagos Light Rail Project & 10Lane Lagos-Badagry Express Way by manny4life(m): 7:28pm On May 03, 2012
omar22: @alj harem

I do understand what you are saying but Lagos is far bigger than most of the european cities and the Light Rail service is far more expensive to run than a normal tain and they don't have more than 3 carriages (4 if you want to push your luck) so how its going to transport their forcast figures is looney! But hey the project is already cracking on!

I'm glad I'm not the only one who noticed the same forecast for their daily ridership on one of their lines, they claimed it will carry more than 1million people daily, I was like damn... If the line operates @ 20hrs a day (which is impossible), that's like 50,000 pax per hr. even heavy rail with a 5min headway, doesn't transport up to 1/2 that amount.
Re: More Updates On The Lagos Light Rail Project & 10Lane Lagos-Badagry Express Way by omar22(m): 7:36pm On May 03, 2012
Oh I see what you mean. You are talking of mass transport (8 carriage full). My brother I don't think Lagos is that large in population. In fact I doubt if people would know the value of this when it starts initially but as time goes on, people would warm up to it.

An eight carriage or so as you suggested would not work on electricity but on gas or crude oil product for more power unless you are talking about electric trains which we cannot afford now. Lagosians cannot afford given the fact that

1. Oil would soon finish

2. We don't want to be seen as parasites.

It is better for a state like Osun or Ogun to build a dam or so (talking like a layman) to power such then Lagos depending of Oil again.

I hope you see my point.

We have 12 carriage trains that runs on electric because the electric would be on the conducting rail the train would be running on but, thats my main argument, they would have to run constant current from one end to another end (may be from Mile 2 to Ojo) and any power failure would mean the train stop immediately all system shuts down.. They could have gone for a train that runs on diesel
Re: More Updates On The Lagos Light Rail Project & 10Lane Lagos-Badagry Express Way by coolted(m): 9:44pm On May 03, 2012
naptu2: https://www.nairaland.com/898591/fashola-woos-foreign-investment-partners
viva lagos! This is what any gov. can achieve, if they have focus
Re: More Updates On The Lagos Light Rail Project & 10Lane Lagos-Badagry Express Way by Nobody: 10:33pm On May 03, 2012
The area on the last image is very filthy. I hope they beautify the place after they finished with the construction work. Lagos needs beautification! It is too dirty for my liking!
Re: More Updates On The Lagos Light Rail Project & 10Lane Lagos-Badagry Express Way by ziga: 12:04am On May 04, 2012
all4naija: The area on the last image is very filthy. I hope they beautify the place after they finished with the construction work. Lagos needs beautification! It is too dirty for my liking!

If dem beautify am finish now, bad belle go dey vex say Fashola plant flowers. I tire!!!

Alusi Okija: Kini Big Deal. . . .

Port Harcourt is building one as well. angry

Enugu state governor just started moulding block to build their own. Abeg make I hear word jor! angry

Don't get me wrong. . . I'm happy for Enugu state governor (though i hope he is doing more than just moulding blocks) You shouldn't make ridiculous statements like this just to belittle another's achievement. it just shows how small your mind is.
Re: More Updates On The Lagos Light Rail Project & 10Lane Lagos-Badagry Express Way by yellowman2225(m): 4:43am On May 04, 2012
Your right but it doesn’t mean it’s feasible. Remember that the platforms has to be right up there at the same level of the track, which is a major risk in Nigeria because within days people would start stripping out the security bar or device, let alone talking about overcrowding on the platform! And the most important part is the power to drive these trains which are higher than a normal power supply to a house or organisation and you have to feed the track with power may be at every 100 meters (this would encourage cable theft)
PROUD-IGBO:
Looks nice. But is there any reason why the tracks couldn't be laid on the ground to save costs?

I hope they do u landscaping and beautification on that dusty looking terrain when the main engineering job is finally completed.

No wonder your name is PROUD IGBO I thing it will be better called Village boy
You are too backward. Must we always waste space? that is a coment you can only make!!!! When Government is saving space. Im not sure you've been to School at all. I read Esate MGt and havd 2nd Degree in Town Planning. hence, Space mgt is my work. May be you have never been to lagos and see if there are enough land to carryout such huge and laudable projects. Im sure you will even criticize crossover- overhead Bridges in Lagos as waste of Money. What about the land saving High rise building in Lagos Island, are they also waste of money? Lagos is barely 4,100 Sguare kilometers about the Size of your Imo State compared to Niger and Oyo State that has arround 30,000 Sq Kilometers. Ive seen Such Projects in the UK and even better Electric -run one Recently in KUALA LUMPUR Malaysia which is a developing Country just like Nigeria. May be you are a PDP man. Pls Keep your mouth Shut and ask youself if People were not or will not be criticizing Awolowo while Building Africas Tallest Building COCOA HOUSE), Africas only and first Tv Station (WNBS WNTV now NTA we all call our own), and the best and only International Standard Stadium Close to 70 Years Ago when the eyes were still on the knees and so so black. Pls abeg open your eyes and see into the future. By this time you should see Lagos is moving to the highest level. This is a project that will be appreciated in the future. Abeg Fashola, Carry-on ya work. Cos U are the Visionary Awolowo of our time. Long live Nigeria Nigeria, Long live Lagos State. EKO O NI BAJE OO, O BAJE TI Never POSSIBLE
Re: More Updates On The Lagos Light Rail Project & 10Lane Lagos-Badagry Express Way by GAR3TH(m): 4:54am On May 04, 2012
Just so some people know the Light rail in lagos Light Rail project is a marketing term. The project is actually a conventional rail system that uses subway cars, so its not an inefficient light rail system.

There are plans to build a rail bridge next to the 3rd mainland to connect the rail to the island. The proposed plans call for another cable-stay bridge but if they cant get the funding the most likely go with the a segmented bridge [3rd mainland look alike]
Re: More Updates On The Lagos Light Rail Project & 10Lane Lagos-Badagry Express Way by kodewrita(m): 5:01am On May 04, 2012
Dear Lord, Please send us a visionary leader in the southwest north of Lagos. Osun,Ondo,Oyo,Ekiti need your help.

Why do we we have crappy govs all over the place? Hooligans all.

Hoping Fashola completes this. Its nice to have governors that leave legacies for a change.

Like Jakande, he'll be forever remembered too.
Re: More Updates On The Lagos Light Rail Project & 10Lane Lagos-Badagry Express Way by Kobojunkie: 5:02am On May 04, 2012
"Light Rail" is no markerting term given that there is clear idea of what constitutes light rail and what does not.

The Light Rail Mass Transit scheme is a proposal to introduce a Light Rail Transit System within the existing Nigerian Railway Corporation (NRC) corridor from Iddo in Lagos State to Ijoko in Ogun State. A Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) between LAMATA and NRC was signed in 2006, to grant access to the 100 ft of NRC right-of-way required for the construction of the LRMT line.

http://www.lamata-ng.com/rail_services.html

I don't believe it makes sense for one to claim one is BUILDING A LIGHT RAIL TRANSIT SYSTEM, and then follow that up with "IT IS NOT A LIGHT RAIL TRANSIT SYSTEM". grin grin grin grin grin
Re: More Updates On The Lagos Light Rail Project & 10Lane Lagos-Badagry Express Way by GAR3TH(m): 5:12am On May 04, 2012
But it is not a light rail, They are using it as a marketing term the same way cell phone companies use "4G" as a marketing term, Btw 4G isn't 4G.

Lagos will NOT be using light rail cars, they will be using single mass - 12 multiple unit Subway cars. Thats not a light rail system, Two different system and Different size and capacity means of transport.

Below is a Light Rail tram holds about 30 passengers

Below is a Subway Car [what lagos is using] Hold about 200 passengers

Re: More Updates On The Lagos Light Rail Project & 10Lane Lagos-Badagry Express Way by jason123: 5:16am On May 04, 2012
manny4life:

Really? Are you really asking where it will lead to? I believe there's a map for each of the line you can see origination and destination points.

Please, tell me what Light Rail supports cargo? Well, that depends on what type of cargo, light cargo(such as boxes, or mail containers) YES it can, but if it's heavy cargo, it's highly unlikely to support shipping containers, oil tankers and the rest of them. Anyway, you never know what up the sleeve of the operators.

This obviously isn't for the rich though else Fashola would be in deep sh/it. If I read the plan one time it was stated that one of the lines will support about 1million daily. Though I find the number startling, but nevertheless, you don't get to see 1million rich folks boarding the train.

As for you last question, me I don't live in Lagos so I don't know.

In all, I'm a strong advocate for public transportation and I think I will have to acknowledge Gov Fashola that he's indeed doing a great service to his people, though I thought the cost-per-mile was very expensive but then, it is what it is.

The scheme is approximately 35-kilometre in length with an estimated ridership of a minimum of 500,000 passengers per daThe scheme is approximately 35-kilometre in length with an estimated ridership of a[b] minimum of 500,000 passengers[/b] per day

Re: More Updates On The Lagos Light Rail Project & 10Lane Lagos-Badagry Express Way by Kobojunkie: 5:19am On May 04, 2012
Again . . . .

"Light Rail" is no markerting term given that there is clear idea of what constitutes light rail and what does not.

[size=14pt]The Light Rail Mass Transit scheme is a proposal to introduce a Light Rail Transit System within the existing Nigerian Railway Corporation (NRC) corridor from Iddo in Lagos State to Ijoko in Ogun State.[/size] A Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) between LAMATA and NRC was signed in 2006, to grant access to the 100 ft of NRC right-of-way required for the construction of the LRMT line.

I don't believe it makes sense for one to claim one is BUILDING A LIGHT RAIL TRANSIT SYSTEM, and then follow that up with "IT IS NOT A LIGHT RAIL TRANSIT SYSTEM". grin grin grin grin grin

Either LAMATA is right in stating that it is building a LIGHT RAIL SYSTEM or it is LYING, and probably need to make sure it informs the Lagos People and investors of this LIE.
Re: More Updates On The Lagos Light Rail Project & 10Lane Lagos-Badagry Express Way by GAR3TH(m): 5:20am On May 04, 2012
Earlier last year LAMATA bought 255 H6 subway cars from toronto. They are currently being renovated by G.E. in Michigan

Re: More Updates On The Lagos Light Rail Project & 10Lane Lagos-Badagry Express Way by jason123: 5:21am On May 04, 2012
kodewrita: Dear Lord, Please send us a visionary leader in the southwest north of Lagos. Osun,Ondo,Oyo,Ekiti need your help.

Hoping Fashola completes this. Its nice to have governors that leave legacies for a change.

Just so you know, its a joint project between Ogun and Lagos!. The FG also supported Lagos by paying 45% of the cost!

Financing

The Lagos Mega City Development Authority is undertaking the LRMT scheme from Iddo to Ijoko as a priority project for implementation within the mega-city. The LRMT scheme is being financed by the Federal Government (45%), Lagos State Government (40%), and Ogun State Government (15%).

Re: More Updates On The Lagos Light Rail Project & 10Lane Lagos-Badagry Express Way by Kobojunkie: 5:22am On May 04, 2012
Again . . . .

[size=14pt]The Light Rail Mass Transit scheme is a proposal to introduce a Light Rail Transit System within the existing Nigerian Railway Corporation (NRC) corridor from Iddo in Lagos State to Ijoko in Ogun State.[/size] A Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) between LAMATA and NRC was signed in 2006, to grant access to the 100 ft of NRC right-of-way required for the construction of the LRMT line.

Is LAMATA and the Lagos State Establishment LYING? Since you seem to know more than they do, you might want to INFORM them of what YOU KNOW so they can change their INFORMATION since they remain the major source of information on the project ooo..
Re: More Updates On The Lagos Light Rail Project & 10Lane Lagos-Badagry Express Way by GAR3TH(m): 5:23am On May 04, 2012
Kobojunkie: Again . . . .

Either LAMATA is right in stating that it is building a LIGHT RAIL SYSTEM or it is LYING, and probably need to make sure it informs the Lagos People and investors of this LIE.

I as in you dont believe it but it is a marketing term. Pictures above shows that they are using subway cars and not light rails.

Like I said its the same way Cell phone companies say 4G but its really not 4G.

NO ONE IS LYING, ITS A MARKETING TERM
Re: More Updates On The Lagos Light Rail Project & 10Lane Lagos-Badagry Express Way by jason123: 5:23am On May 04, 2012
kodewrita: Dear Lord, Please send us a visionary leader in the southwest north of Lagos. Osun,Ondo,Oyo,Ekiti need your help.

It stops over at Ogun state!
Re: More Updates On The Lagos Light Rail Project & 10Lane Lagos-Badagry Express Way by jason123: 5:24am On May 04, 2012
Gareth, you are wasting your time arguing!
Re: More Updates On The Lagos Light Rail Project & 10Lane Lagos-Badagry Express Way by Kobojunkie: 5:25am On May 04, 2012
Again . . . .

Is LAMATA and the Lagos State Establishment LYING? Since you seem to know more than they do, you might want to INFORM them of what YOU KNOW so they can change their INFORMATION since they remain the major source of information on the project ooo..

Anyone with common sense will know that it cannot be LIGHT RAIL AND HEAVY RAIL at the same time. It is either LIGHT RAIL as LAMATA/LAGOS STATE claims it is, or someone is lying.

For those who have no clue/are unaware that you cannot state you are building Light Rail when in fact you mean heavy rail please check the links below for more info . . .

Light Rail vs Heavy Rail
Re: More Updates On The Lagos Light Rail Project & 10Lane Lagos-Badagry Express Way by jason123: 5:27am On May 04, 2012
Please, download to understand the extent of the project!

http://www.lagosrail.com/_downloads/Lagos%20Red%20Line%20Project%20Briefing.pdf
Re: More Updates On The Lagos Light Rail Project & 10Lane Lagos-Badagry Express Way by GAR3TH(m): 5:30am On May 04, 2012
Kobojunkie: Again . . . .

Anyone with common sense will know that it cannot be LIGHT RAIL AND HEAVY RAIL at the same time. It is either LIGHT RAIL as LAMATA/LAGOS STATE claims it is, or someone is lying.

Then In that case sue LAMATA for "lying", sue Your cell phone company for "lying", Infact sue every company for "lying". Its not my problem so i'm not sure why your trying to connet me to it, Its just a marketing terms, simple.
Re: More Updates On The Lagos Light Rail Project & 10Lane Lagos-Badagry Express Way by jason123: 5:30am On May 04, 2012
In fact, it gets to[b] Oyo state![/b]

Re: More Updates On The Lagos Light Rail Project & 10Lane Lagos-Badagry Express Way by jason123: 5:31am On May 04, 2012
Simplified version:

Re: More Updates On The Lagos Light Rail Project & 10Lane Lagos-Badagry Express Way by Kobojunkie: 5:38am On May 04, 2012
GAR3TH:

Then In that case sue LAMATA for "lying", sue Your cell phone company for "lying", Infact sue every company for "lying". Its not my problem so i'm not sure why your trying to connet me to it, Its just a marketing terms, simple.

GROW a brain. The very company in charge of the construction tells you there that the system is a LIGHT RAIL SYSTEM, but here you are telling us we should not believe what the company says because YOU SAY . .. Attacking me will not reduce the stupidity in what you are suggesting we do here . . . i.e believe you just because you say so.

Again . . .

According to Lagos State/LAMATA,

The Light Rail Mass Transit scheme is a proposal to introduce a Light Rail Transit System within the existing Nigerian Railway Corporation (NRC) corridor from Iddo in Lagos State to Ijoko in Ogun State. A Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) between LAMATA and NRC was signed in 2006, to grant access to the 100 ft of NRC right-of-way required for the construction of the LRMT line.

For those who have no clue/are unaware that you cannot state you are building Light Rail when in fact you mean heavy rail please check the links below for more info . . .

Light Rail vs Heavy Rail

An MOU was signed indicating what would be built, but no. We should IGNORE all that because your ego just wants us to believe as YOU SAY.!!! grin grin grin cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy

Don't worry! COme back and tell us that LIGHT RAIL SYSTEM is marketing term for HIGH-SPEED rail now . .
Re: More Updates On The Lagos Light Rail Project & 10Lane Lagos-Badagry Express Way by denzel2009: 5:40am On May 04, 2012
even musiwa would give us a clearer map.
Re: More Updates On The Lagos Light Rail Project & 10Lane Lagos-Badagry Express Way by CHANCEMAN: 5:55am On May 04, 2012
you guys arguing over whether it is a light rail system or whether electric driven, have you guys seen the subway system of Los Angeles b4?

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Lagos New BRT Buses: Analyzing The Facts And Figures - Photos / FRSC Recovers N27.1M At Scene Of Osun Road Crash That Killed Six Persons (Pix) / Edwin Ijeoma Who Renounced Nigerian Citizenship, Expelled From South Africa

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 81
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.