Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,410 members, 7,815,914 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 08:55 PM

Okorocha, The Magician - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Okorocha, The Magician (1798 Views)

Benbruce: Buhari Is Not A Magician, Shame On Anyone Politicizing Boko Haram / Governor Okorocha, The Economics Teacher (Photo) / Professor Viola Onwuliri On Okorocha & The Iriji Maise new Yam Festival (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Okorocha, The Magician by mapet: 8:56am On May 03, 2012
Okorocha, The Magician

...by Segun Adeniyi (ThisDay)

On Monday, Governor Rochas Okorocha declared a four-day holiday for workers in Imo State. According to a statement by the Commissioner for Information and Strategy, Mr. Obinna Duruji, the workers are to use this week to go to their communities and partake in the take-off of the Community Council Government (CCG), which the governor recently instituted in the state. And for this extra-constitutional fourth-tier of government, Okorocha has already approved the disbursement of N5 million to each of the communities in the 27 local councils from a subvention of N3 billion.

Of course, the N3 billion is not captured in the Imo State Appropriation Bill for 2012 which has not even been passed. But then that is a small matter in a state where the governor has practically become the sole administrator, expending public money and coming up with all manner of bizarre ideas without any legislative oversight. Almost every day now, Governor Okorocha awards multi-billion Naira contracts for roads, for schools, for hospitals, for hotels, for farms etc. and you wonder where the money to fund all these projects is coming from.

Governor Okorocha is evidently a populist and there is nothing wrong with populism except that it has to be rooted in realistic expectations. Okorocha for instance tells his Imo people that his state which still depends largely on its meagre allocation from the Federation Account is very buoyant. And with minimal internally generated revenue, he has declared free education at all levels in Imo State and has even decided to be paying salaries to primary school pupils! In fulfillment of that pledge, he actually went to some schools where the pupils lined up for him to pay them N100 each.

In Imo State today, it is one day, one promise. Okorocha is going to build a megacity in Okigwe; he will build two palm oil plantations; he will construct a 25-storey hotel; he will build three universities for the state; he will construct an ecumenical centre; and he has already taken over all federal roads in the state for which he has awarded contracts without any documentation!

I was in the United States during the April 2011 elections but I followed all the drama in Imo and actually wanted Okorocha to win. So when he did, I was very happy. Unfortunately, right from his first day in office, Okorocha started giving people cause for concerns as to whether he understands his brief as governor. I recall that as early in the day as August last year, his brand of governance was a subject of discussion at our editorial board. We marveled at some of his antics and actually did an editorial to remind him of his responsibilities. “His most notable achievement to date has been to make headline news for all sorts of gaffes. From daubing himself in blood and disguising himself ala ‘Aluwe’ while pretending to be a victim of road accident just to make a point about service delivery at the Federal Medical Centre, Owerri, to whimsical decisions on traditional and academic institutions, Okorocha is literally making a mockery of his office and does not seem to care what people think or say,” we wrote.

We were also worried about the unwieldy nature of his political appointments. In addition to 17 commissioners and 14 Senior Special Assistants, Okorocha had appointed a further 80 men and women as Special Assistants and members of various Mayoral Affairs Committees. For example, he has a Senior Special Assistant on Lagos Liaison office and a Special Assistant on Lagos Affairs; Senior Special Assistant, NDDC and Special Assistant on Niger Delta; and of course he appointed for the state a Chief Comedian who is also a Special Assistant! And while swearing them in, the governor said they would have to source for funds with which to run their offices thus effectively turning them to no more than executive touts.

On March 24 this year, Okorocha was in Kosovo where he signed a Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) with their government to construct housing estates, establish an agro-processing plant and build an independent power plant, all in Imo state. When completed, according to the governor, this planned power plant would supply the state with 500 megawatts of electricity! But as I watched the video clip on AIT, something struck me as odd. His host, the Deputy Prime Minister of Kosovo, Mr. Behgdey Pacconi, had spoken in Albanian, the main official language of his country thus needing an interpreter. When it was the turn of Okorocha to respond, he apparently felt he also needed an interpreter so he decided to speak in Igbo language. A former senator on his delegation now had to interpret into English for the Kosovo interpreter to now translate into Albanian. The whole episode reminded me of ‘Icheoku’, arguably one of the best television drama series in the eighties.

But Okorocha is not without redemption as he is also a passionate man. I guess that is why he wants to achieve results quickly. But he must also realize that this is a democracy where planning, transparency and processes are also important for him to leave any lasting legacy. He cannot continue to run his administration by whims as is the case right now.

There is no doubt that Governor Okorocha came to office with a popular mandate and I believe he is in haste to make a difference in his state. But to do so, he must understand that running a government requires having in place proper structures which will enable him to promote transparency and accountability. He must also align the direction and goals of his administration within the available. I sincerely want Governor Okorocha to succeed but for him to do that, he needs to sit down to reflect on the kind of legacy he wants to bequeath to his state when his tenure is done.

2 Likes

Re: Okorocha, The Magician by PROUDIGBO(m): 9:58am On May 03, 2012
This part cracked me up grin:

His host, the Deputy Prime Minister of Kosovo, Mr. Behgdey Pacconi, had spoken in Albanian, the main official language of his country thus needing an interpreter. When it was the turn of Okorocha to respond, he apparently felt he also needed an interpreter so he decided to speak in Igbo language. A former senator on his delegation now had to interpret into English for the Kosovo interpreter to now translate into Albanian. The whole episode reminded me of ‘Icheoku’, arguably one of the best television drama series in the eighties.

I'm just liking this man. I'd have paid good money to have watched this.
Re: Okorocha, The Magician by presido1: 11:09am On May 03, 2012
We prefer magicians to looters.
Re: Okorocha, The Magician by bilms(m): 11:25am On May 03, 2012
this guy is promising
Re: Okorocha, The Magician by PointB: 11:26am On May 03, 2012
. . . by Segun Adeniyi. lol
Re: Okorocha, The Magician by Afam4eva(m): 11:37am On May 03, 2012
Is it not a good thing for someone to be called a magician? Every article for and against Rochas just makes me like him even better.
Re: Okorocha, The Magician by mapet: 1:18pm On May 03, 2012
... Well if the laughable and comical approach to governance is what he's displaying, I'm afraid it's pretty bad. As at May 2012, 2012 budget not in existence
Re: Okorocha, The Magician by Abagworo(m): 1:52pm On May 03, 2012
Visited Imo and was impressed. Very impressed but the quality of work is funny when compared with Rivers. New housing estates have sprung up everywhere and new roads are under construction. The people look happy and I think that's the most important thing.
Re: Okorocha, The Magician by noiseless: 1:57pm On May 03, 2012
This type of useless journal WTF? Which would be rather preferable, the Governor that is accused of over working or the ones accused of over looting? i don't understand this journalist. Does he now want Okorocha to snail his election promises or just start to speedy up the lootings for all Imolites to be like other states, shouldn't he be shunning those governors who are not performing, the likes of T ORJI & OBI.
Re: Okorocha, The Magician by Dede1(m): 2:20pm On May 03, 2012
Abagworo: Visited Imo and was impressed. Very impressed but the quality of work is funny when compared with Rivers. New housing estates have sprung up everywhere and new roads are under construction. The people look happy and I think that's the most important thing.

This pattern of observation is one of the major reasons Nigeria will even remain retrogressive in nature. Are you insinuating the housing estates started by Mbakwe regime to Ohakim’s should be credited to Okorocha? Since six or eight months of Okorocha,s administration, there is no new housing estate in Imo State. Nobody should knock Okorocha for failure to start housing estate for the sake of it but created should not be given Okorocha on the hard work of former governors of Imo State.
Re: Okorocha, The Magician by presido1: 2:24pm On May 03, 2012
Dede1 never you put Ohakigi name and hard work in one sentance.
Re: Okorocha, The Magician by Abagworo(m): 2:48pm On May 03, 2012
Dede1:

This pattern of observation is one of the major reasons Nigeria will even remain retrogressive in nature. Are you insinuating the housing estates stated by Mbakwe regime to Ohakim’s should be credited to Okorocha? Since six or eight months of Okorocha,s administration, there is no new housing estate in Imo State. Nobody should knock Okorocha for failure to start housing estate for the sake of it but created should not be given Okorocha on the hard work of former governors of Imo State.

Dede mbukwam diali o! I'm from Imo and know how Owerri was last year. Even the State secretariat is seriously undergoing re-construction. I saw a new highway near Imo hotels. Modotel now looks magnificent. I saw several new estates @ both new Owerri area and Egbeada. Everywhere was perfectly clean and I saw uniformed people trimming the flowers. Imo is working. My visit to Oguta or Orlu anytime soon will give some hints on his performance in rural areas.
Re: Okorocha, The Magician by Dede1(m): 3:16pm On May 03, 2012
Abagworo:

Dede mbukwam diali o! I'm from Imo and know how Owerri was last year. Even the State secretariat is seriously undergoing re-construction. I saw a new highway near Imo hotels. Modotel now looks magnificent. I saw several new estates @ both new Owerri area and Egbeada. Everywhere was perfectly clean and I saw uniformed people trimming the flowers. Imo is working. My visit to Oguta or Orlu anytime soon will give some hints on his performance in rural areas.

Here we go again with feel-happy and misguided praises of Okorocha. Modotel hotel is a private entity and has nothing to do with Okorocha as governor. There is no new construction of highway initiated by Okorocha. For the past eight months since Okorocha assumed the office as governor of Imo State, the clearing of Owerri ring road extension opposition F.U Anyawu Steel Industry has not progressed beyond 25 yards.

As of the continuation of work on the State secretariat, Imo State contractual agreement with contractors does not terminate when a new governor is sworn-in. We need to behave like individuals with well organized social orders by subjecting our leaders to constructive criticism. I will want Okorocha to succeed as governor of Imo State but will not close my eyes at his shortfalls.
Re: Okorocha, The Magician by PROUDIGBO(m): 3:22pm On May 03, 2012
Abagworo:

Abagworo, you should have taken pics.
Re: Okorocha, The Magician by Johndoe100(m): 3:38pm On May 03, 2012
mapet: ... Well if the laughable and comical approach to governance is what he's displaying, I'm afraid it's pretty bad. As at May 2012, 2012 budget not in existence

Well this is NL, do you expect the mob to be rational. He has created a forth level of government singlehandedly. He is at this point little more than a joke. When the hangover clears and it's time to pay the bill, watch his people cry.
Re: Okorocha, The Magician by livapul86(m): 3:41pm On May 03, 2012
Guys, pls read the article without premeditated Sentiments then you would Clearly understand why Rochas Okorocha is a huge COMEDIAN in governance. Pls, I want him to make us all proud but the steps he has taken so far are just LAUGHABLE.
Re: Okorocha, The Magician by Abagworo(m): 3:58pm On May 03, 2012
I understand that some of his actions are undemocratic. Like personally deciding on several issues without consulting the legislature. He consults directly with the masses and that is why people are happy with him. I'm not saying its a good thing but God bless any house member or politician that will in anyway disrupt the progress of Imo State by slowing Rochas down. Not even Rochas but the entire Imo people will rise against such member.
Re: Okorocha, The Magician by mapet: 4:31pm On May 03, 2012
there you go turning logic on its head. He consults directly with who?

Just like said before, some of hyou guys inability to be rational when needed most on discussion in NL is worse that the leaders making mockery of governance. Instead of blind praising of Rochas, will it not be better to "beat-him-back-to-the-right-path" with clear analytical appraisal and critisism of his approach.

The leadership deficit in this country is widening by the day, yet some people applaud the ridiculous.

Abagworo: I understand that some of his actions are undemocratic. Like personally deciding on several issues without consulting the legislature. He consults directly with the masses and that is why people are happy with him. I'm not saying its a good thing but God bless any house member or politician that will in anyway disrupt the progress of Imo State by slowing Rochas down. Not even Rochas but the entire Imo people will rise against such member.
Re: Okorocha, The Magician by picolo01: 5:00pm On May 03, 2012
Rochas!
Re: Okorocha, The Magician by PROUDIGBO(m): 5:54pm On May 03, 2012
picolo01: Rochas!

^^^Carry go abeg! Never mind the doubting thomases angry.
Re: Okorocha, The Magician by otokx(m): 6:16pm On May 03, 2012
I like his red cap.
Re: Okorocha, The Magician by edoyad(m): 6:57pm On May 03, 2012
On March 24 this year, Okorocha was in Kosovo where he signed a Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) with their government to construct housing estates, establish an agro-processing plant and build an independent power plant, all in Imo state. When completed, according to the governor, this planned power plant would supply the state with 500 megawatts of electricity! But as I watched the video clip on AIT, something struck me as odd. His host, the Deputy Prime Minister of Kosovo, Mr. Behgdey Pacconi, had spoken in Albanian, the main official language of his country thus needing an interpreter. When it was the turn of Okorocha to respond, he apparently felt he also needed an interpreter so he decided to speak in Igbo language. A former senator on his delegation now had to interpret into English for the Kosovo interpreter to now translate into Albanian. The whole episode reminded me of ‘Icheoku’, arguably one of the best television drama series in the eighties.

OMG grin grin grin grin grin grin grin
Re: Okorocha, The Magician by Ikengawo: 7:57pm On May 03, 2012
LMFAO at the speaking igbo! Igbo kwenu!

When Buhari and Yar Adua speak Hausa to the masses of Nigerians nobody complains and nobody should, power to Rochas.

lol at rochas being the first governor in nigeria to be hated for doing too much. I'm glad the best governor in Nigeria is in my state. I've heard nothing but positive reviews from people on the ground
Re: Okorocha, The Magician by SailorXY: 1:07am On May 04, 2012
im sure he can even do alot with his private cash... cut the man some slack please angry
Re: Okorocha, The Magician by deshclones(m): 12:51pm On May 04, 2012
Rochas is the bomb..whoever thinks otherwise should take a dive for all i care...lovely of him to speak the language of giants in far away kosovo....Igbo kwenu...moreover i have little or no regard/respect for this segun guy..was dude not the same scallywag that kept mute during the yar'ádua saga...then wrote about the experience in a book to fleece nigerians..bloody person embarassed embarassed embarassed
Re: Okorocha, The Magician by Dede1(m): 1:13pm On May 04, 2012
I have my fuss with certain political shenanigans Okorocha has pulled in Imo State. However, I must admit that one of must important political display any politician of Igbo extraction has ever done to gladden the hearts of Ndigbo, dead or alive, is the political master stroke he uncovered in Kosovo by speaking in Igbo language.

Beneath the fanfare that surrounds the Okorocha’s visit to Kosovo, the act of speaking in Igbo language underscores the need for nation state out of the cesspit called Nigeria so that people will realize besides English, French and Chinese there is Igbo.
Re: Okorocha, The Magician by Pain(m): 1:15pm On May 04, 2012
Ride on magician. We need more of u in place of the false prophets of baal we have every where parading themselves as men of god. Rochas is building imo state while they raise alters to baal and mormon. Like it or not his model is original and african. All haters can go hug barbwire!
Re: Okorocha, The Magician by pistol: 1:46pm On May 04, 2012
Rochas is doing a nice work but all these capital and social projects that he is undertaking,where is he getting the money from?

I hope he wont leave us bankrupt and in debt that we can not pay by mortgaging our future as i hear that he is running all over the place,looking 4 banks that will give him loan with horrendous intrest rate.

Everybody seems to b afraid to call him to order.
Re: Okorocha, The Magician by achi4u(m): 1:52pm On May 04, 2012
Dede1: I have my fuss with certain political shenanigans Okorocha has pulled in Imo State. However, I must admit that one of must important political display any politician of Igbo extraction has ever done to gladden the hearts of Ndigbo, dead or alive, is the political master stroke he uncovered in Kosovo by speaking in Igbo language.

Beneath the fanfare that surrounds the Okorocha’s visit to Kosovo, the act of speaking in Igbo language underscores the need for nation state out of the cesspit called Nigeria so that people will realize besides English, French and Chinese there is Igbo.
Okemmadu carry go.
our uto asusu igbo MUST survive.ijn Amen.
Re: Okorocha, The Magician by PROUDIGBO(m): 2:21pm On May 04, 2012
pistol: Rochas is doing a nice work but all these capital and social projects that he is undertaking,where is he getting the money from?

I hope he wont leave us bankrupt and in debt that we can not pay by mortgaging our future as i hear that he is running all over the place,looking 4 banks that will give him loan with horrendous intrest rate.

Everybody seems to b afraid to call him to order.

^^^It's a pity Rochas doesn't have the kind of budget the likes of Amaechi and Akpabio have to work with. I'm sure if he did, his achievements would have been much more than we are presently seeing.

Borrowing is not necessarily a bad thing provided the money is used for its main purpose, and positions the state on a sound industrial and socio-economic footing. The future revenue from such projects and the multiplier effect of having a happy, contented, employed and prosperous people means the loan would have been worthwhile after it's finally paid off.

Another good thing about a loan that is properly serviced and repaid on time is that it improves the credit rating of the state/country concerned.

I'm aware Ohakim borrowed money, but can anyone point to any completed/world-class project said money was used for (elitist projects like the Gov't House etc, don't count i'm afraid).

1 Like

Re: Okorocha, The Magician by pistol: 3:28pm On May 04, 2012
PROUD-IGBO:

^^^It's a pity Rochas doesn't have the kind of budget the likes of Amaechi and Akpabio have to work with. I'm sure if he did, his achievements would have been much more than we are presently seeing.

Borrowing is not necessarily a bad thing provided the money is used for its main purpose, and positions the state on a sound industrial and socio-economic footing. The future revenue from such projects and the multiplier effect of having a happy, contented, employed and prosperous people means the loan would have been worthwhile after it's finally paid off.

Another good thing about a loan that is properly serviced and repaid on time is that it improves the credit rating of the state/country concerned.

I'm aware Ohakim borrowed money, but can anyone point to any completed/world-class project said money was used for (elitist projects like the Gov't House etc, don't count i'm afraid).

Mr man,4rm the information at my disposal,this rochas is biting more than he can chew.

Our leaders are so short sighted and suffer 4rm delusional grandeur

Mind u,he is just doing all these projects to get all the shouts,hulahula,praises and recommendations and as a lantent springboard 4 his presidential career.

I hope u guys all remember the mbakwe era where he couldnt pay salaries after mortgaging our future to commercial banks in the name of infastructural development and leaving us with a grinding debt profile that if not 4 the paris club debt 4giveness,we would have still been paying and servicing through the nose.

My people perish cos of lack of knowlege.

Thunder doesnt strike in a place twice.

He who have ear,let him hear
Re: Okorocha, The Magician by miracle4(m): 4:14pm On May 04, 2012
well said ..... give him the chance he deserve one

(1) (Reply)

Fela Anikulakpo Kuti On Biafra / Presidency Explains Why First Lady Patience Jonathan Has To Go To The Toilet / OPC Founder, Fasehun, Promises ACN Hell

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 80
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.