Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,806 members, 7,820,827 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 10:41 PM

Samsung Galaxy S III Will Be Unveiled Today - Phones (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Phones / Samsung Galaxy S III Will Be Unveiled Today (7017 Views)

IFA 2014 - Samsung Galaxy Note 4 To Be Unveiled Today About 3pm (nigeria Time) / Samsung Galaxy S IV To Launch In April / Iphone 5 Most Powerful Phone Out, Beats Galaxy S III - Anandtech Benchmarks (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Samsung Galaxy S III Will Be Unveiled Today by hancock(m): 7:54pm On May 03, 2012
eh. . . on a second thought, i will probably stick with my sII for now. looking at the spec there is no wow factor apart from the quad core processor

-OS galaxys galaxy s2 galaxys3
Android 2.1 Android 2.3.4 (Now 4.0) Android 4.0

-Skin TouchWiz 3.0 TouchWiz 4.0 TouchWiz

-Display 4-inch 4.3 / 4.5-inch 4.8-inch

-Resolution 400 x 800 800 x 480 720 x 1280

- Glass Gorilla Glass Gorilla Glass Gorilla Glass 2

-CPU 1GHz Single-Core 1.2GHz / 1.5GHz Dual-Core 1.4GHz Quad--Core

-Graphics Super AMOLED Super AMOLED Plus HD Super AMOLED

-Memory 512MB RAM 1GB RAM 1GB RAM

-Storage 8 / 16GB 16 / 32GB + microSD 16/32/64GB + microSD

-Front Camera VGA 2-megapixel 1.9-megapixel

-Rear Camera 5-megapixel 8-megapixel 8-megapixel AF + HDR

-Cellular GSM / 3G HSPA+21/42, EV-DO Rev. A / WiMax -HSPA+21 / LTE (Regions)

- WiFi 802.11 b/g/n 802.11 a/b/g/n 802.11 b/g/n with Channel Bonding, HT40

-Bluetooth 3.0 + A2DP 3.0+HS 4.0 Low-energy

-Weight 119 grams 116 grams 133 gram

-NFC? No Optional Yes

-Multimedia DLNA MHL MHL / DLNA

-Battery 1,500mAh 1,560mAh 2,100mAh

source: engadget http://www.engadget.com/2012/05/03/samsung-galaxy-s-iii-family-tree/
Re: Samsung Galaxy S III Will Be Unveiled Today by MrTA(m): 8:00pm On May 03, 2012
Up to 64GB and +microSD card slot.

Available in UK from 29th May
Re: Samsung Galaxy S III Will Be Unveiled Today by MrTA(m): 8:11pm On May 03, 2012
Also Wireless charging.
Re: Samsung Galaxy S III Will Be Unveiled Today by Osama10(m): 8:20pm On May 03, 2012
Cool
Re: Samsung Galaxy S III Will Be Unveiled Today by puskin: 8:24pm On May 03, 2012
I'm not very impressed..........guess I'll still be sticking to my HTC afterall.
Re: Samsung Galaxy S III Will Be Unveiled Today by hamsky: 8:51pm On May 03, 2012
Don't get me wrong I'm a massive Samsung Galaxy fan but I sincerely think that samsung didn't do enough with the design of the phone. For goodness sake when will they stop making super phone that look cheap. In the looks department the HTC kills the samsung but when it comes to features the samsung I must confess is way ahead of its time, don't even mention the wireless charging feature or the 64gb option.....Wicked is word to sum it all up
Re: Samsung Galaxy S III Will Be Unveiled Today by SisiKill1: 9:13pm On May 03, 2012
Re: Samsung Galaxy S III Will Be Unveiled Today by SisiKill1: 9:15pm On May 03, 2012
Looks cheap??!!

Are we looking at the same phone??

[img]http://venturebeat.files./2012/05/samsung-galaxy-s-iii-burst-shot.jpg[/img]
Re: Samsung Galaxy S III Will Be Unveiled Today by SisiKill1: 9:19pm On May 03, 2012
Samsung’s Galaxy S III: A 4.8-inch Android monster with eye tracking

After whipping up iPhone-like buzz for its Galaxy S series, Samsung today finally unveiled its next entry in the series, the Galaxy S III.

As expected, the phone is an absolute monster, with a huge 4.8-inch screen sporting a 720p resolution. Larger than last year’s Galaxy S II, but smaller than Samsung’s tablet/smartphone hybrid Galaxy Note, the new flagship device will differentiate itself with eye tracking capabilities, dubbed Smart Stay. The Galaxy S III’s 1.9-megapixel front-facing camera monitors your eyes to know when you’re looking at it, which keeps it from going to sleep from inactivity.

“It sees us,” a Samsung representative said (somewhat creepily) at the device’s London launch event today. The company showed how the phone’s personal assistant software, S Voice, will function similarly to Apple’s Siri virtual assistant.

“The S III is more like a good friend who listens intently and responds quickly,” the rep said. Of course, the fact that Samsung failed to give its assistant app a human-like name is telling. With the iPhone 4S, you talk to Siri. With the Galaxy S III, you talk to S Voice.

Spec-wise, the Galaxy S III features an 8-megapixel rear camera with burst and best-shot modes (similar to HTC’s One series), a huge 2,1000 mAh battery (necessary for that massive screen), NFC, and Bluetooth 4.0. It weighs only 133 grams and is 8.6-millimeters thick. A 3G HSPA+ version of the phone will launch at the end of the month, while a 4G LTE version is coming later this summer. The launch will begin in Europe, followed by Asia, Africa, and Latin America (be prepared to wait for a while, North Amerca).

One interesting feature, dubbed Direct Call, shows the kind of thoughtful design Samsung is going for with the new phone. If you’re texting someone, you can simply hold the phone up to your ear to make a phone call.

The Galaxy S III’s S Beam sharing will allow you to throw movies and music to other phones. S Beam combines NFC technology with Wi-Fi Direct, so you only have to tap another Galaxy S III to share content. It can also send content to TVs, as well as mirror what’s on your phone’s screen.

“For the design and UI of the S III, we tried to recreate the curves of nature,” a Samsung rep said at the event. Samsung also announced a donation to the World Wildlife Fund (I guess that’s one way to give back after totally ripping off Mother Nature’s design IP). It sports a new version of Samsung’s Android UI tweaks, “TouchWiz Nature UX,” which adds soothing nature sounds. The phone will be available in Marble White or Pebble Blue.

In a bid to improve multitasking on Android, the Galaxy S III has a “Pop up play” feature, which looks like picture-in-picture. It lets you do two things at once, something that wasn’t as feasible with smaller screen sizes.

Gushing about the camera, a Samsung rep said, “this one raises the bar.” The Galaxy S III’s shooter sports zero shutter lag, which means you’ll snap exactly what you see on-screen. The camera app launches in just 990 milliseconds. It has a backside illumination sensor, video stabilization, and can capture still photos while recording video (again, like HTC’s recent crop).

The company is planning pop-up stores to give “thousands” of customers the ability to play with the Galaxy S III.
Re: Samsung Galaxy S III Will Be Unveiled Today by BlackBaron: 9:24pm On May 03, 2012
Certainly the best phone out now, nowt extraordinary. though . .the HTC One X for all its specs decided on an underpowered battery and no external memory option. That's a deal killer for me. With time,any other desirable missing presets like beats audio,srs surround, sony bravia engine, dolby mobile can be ported over to the S3.

Couple the internal memory with a 64GB memory card and you got a winner!
Re: Samsung Galaxy S III Will Be Unveiled Today by texazzpete(m): 9:26pm On May 03, 2012
Samsung just shot themselves in the foot here grin

Go over to Engadget comments section and see how the fanboys are going 'meh' over this phone. The same incremental updates that Android users were trolling iPhone 4S buyers with are present in this device. Sure, it's probably the fastest Android phone out now but still...this was underwhelming. The phone doesn't look that good and still makes use of plastic in it outer shell.

I'm so glad I had someone pick up a HTC One X. The one X has a better camera, looks 1000x better, has a screen just as good (if not better) and is a little more pocketable.

4.8 inches is too big for a mainstream phone. Samsung is not going to record anywhere near the same level of sales as the original GS II.

Just as the iPhone 4S did not provide enough value for many iPhone 4 owners (and hence they didn't upgrade), most Galaxy SII owners will likely stick with their existing phones and wait out the next big thing.
Re: Samsung Galaxy S III Will Be Unveiled Today by MrTA(m): 9:58pm On May 03, 2012
Im an S2 owner and although Im also not impressed with the new S3, you can hardly call it an incremental update like the iphone 4 to iphone 4S?

There is quite a huge difference from what we're told about the S3 compared to the S2. There are just not the differences that we wanted and you're right the screen is a ridiculous size, so im unlikely to upgrade.
Re: Samsung Galaxy S III Will Be Unveiled Today by Nobody: 10:11pm On May 03, 2012
SAMSUNG Galaxy S III --> Holy Shiit! I am waiting to have it by all means! That spec is damn shiit!

For me it is going to be the best phone of the year, though, they have to work on the life of the battery.
Re: Samsung Galaxy S III Will Be Unveiled Today by texazzpete(m): 10:12pm On May 03, 2012
Mr_TA: Im an S2 owner and although Im also not impressed with the new S3, you can hardly call it an incremental update like the iphone 4 to iphone 4S?

There is quite a huge difference from what we're told about the S3 compared to the S2. There are just not the differences that we wanted and you're right the screen is a ridiculous size, so im unlikely to upgrade.

iphone 4S improved the processor, the GPU and the Camera.

GS III did the same but with an increase in screen size.

See?

The design is polarizing, screen is STILL Pentile and phone is still made of plastic, giving it a less than premium feel.
Re: Samsung Galaxy S III Will Be Unveiled Today by texazzpete(m): 10:16pm On May 03, 2012
all4naija: SAMSUNG Galaxy S III --> Holy Shiit! I am waiting to have it by all means! That spec is damn shiit!

For me it is going to be the best phone of the year, though, they have to work on the life of the battery.

iPhone 5 will most likely blow this out of the water, especially as this year will bring a different design for the iPhone.

The HTC One X looks much better, has an arguably better screen and a better camera. The Galaxy SIII should be a little more powerful than the One X, but not that you'd notice in everyday use.

As far as gaming is concerned, the One X's tegra 3 exclusive games gives it an advantage.

For me, all round the One X is a better phone...

The uodated Galaxy note should come out in time to make use of ARM A15 chips which should make it faster than this one.
Re: Samsung Galaxy S III Will Be Unveiled Today by Nobody: 10:17pm On May 03, 2012
Mr_TA: Im an S2 owner and although Im also not impressed with the new S3, you can hardly call it an incremental update like the iphone 4 to iphone 4S?

I disagree!

You can spot the differences on this link --> http://www.differencebetween.com/difference-between-samsung-galaxy-s2-and-vs-s3/
Re: Samsung Galaxy S III Will Be Unveiled Today by moonraker(m): 5:06am On May 04, 2012
I dont know about you guys buttttttt

The iphone 4S was more of an upgrade

compared to the galaxy s3.

And to think that there was sooo much hype

about this phone... its like this.. when you make

a phone like the galaxy note (which to me is the best

smartphone out there), its hard to build on that success.
Re: Samsung Galaxy S III Will Be Unveiled Today by SAFO(m): 6:15am On May 04, 2012
I think it's a little too early in the game for quad core phones. Developers have just started coding apps to utilize dual core and multi threading so there's no real world usage for a quad core phone. All the benchmark tests I've seen have dual core processors out performing their quad core cousins. At this point, the only reason to buy a quad core phone would be for bragging rights.

Thats why I'm happy the US version of the HTC one x opted for dual core and LTE unlike its European predecessor.
Re: Samsung Galaxy S III Will Be Unveiled Today by MrTA(m): 8:38am On May 04, 2012
texazzpete:

iphone 4S improved the processor, the GPU and the Camera.

GS III did the same but with an increase in screen size.

See?

The design is polarizing, screen is STILL Pentile and phone is still made of plastic, giving it a less than premium feel.
It also got much bigger, heavier,thicker and a different design making it a different device really. Which I guess is part of the reason I don't like the new device. Its all well and good changing the device look but I think they changed too much of a good thing unnecessarily. They changed it for the worse and not for the better.
Re: Samsung Galaxy S III Will Be Unveiled Today by Cine(m): 9:27am On May 04, 2012
When will this be available in NIgeria; anyone know - and how much will it be?
Re: Samsung Galaxy S III Will Be Unveiled Today by Nobody: 9:45pm On May 04, 2012
I'm gonna chill for the iphone 5 before upgrading from my s2. Htc one x definitely not my taste
Re: Samsung Galaxy S III Will Be Unveiled Today by captalex(m): 3:26am On May 05, 2012
sirwebs: One X[img][/img]
One x is a machine s
III should take a back seat.
Re: Samsung Galaxy S III Will Be Unveiled Today by otumfour(m): 12:57pm On May 09, 2012
captalex:
One x is a machine s
III should take a back seat.

lol! apart from the hardware design on the One X, what makes it better than the S III , the S III comes packed with features tht the One X can only dream of lol
Re: Samsung Galaxy S III Will Be Unveiled Today by Nobody: 2:19pm On May 09, 2012
The samsung focus s2 is a beautiful pone they should have use that design i wanted to buy that one not until found out its has win door (wink) in it the s3 is urg with larger screen comeone 1.9 front cam s2 has 2mp what else wireless charging just that am hissing
Re: Samsung Galaxy S III Will Be Unveiled Today by bigfat: 3:32pm On Jan 04, 2013
[size=15pt]a friend of mine wants to sell his fairly used Samsung Galaxy S3 for 25k pm me if you are interested... i can bring it to whatever location you are in Lagos ..he is dirty broke that is why ...[/size]

(1) (2) (Reply)

Any Glo Blackberry User Here? Problem With It Last 2 Days / How To Activate Whatsapp Call / How To Unlock Nokia

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 45
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.