Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,483 members, 7,812,496 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 02:19 PM

[Project] 2012 Summer Of Code - WORK HAS COMMENCED - Programming (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Programming / [Project] 2012 Summer Of Code - WORK HAS COMMENCED (23554 Views)

Poll: Vote for your choice for Summer 2012

Government Budget Monitoring System: 32% (21 votes)
Fund Raising app to aid Charities/individuals in raising needed funds: 14% (9 votes)
Encyclopaedia of Nigerian goods: 7% (5 votes)
Browser to promote Nigeria: 18% (12 votes)
App to predict power failure: 26% (17 votes)
This poll has ended

Poll: We have a tie, please pick your favourite and most feasible

Government budget monitoring/Performance Application: 60% (6 votes)
Application to predict power failure or give real-time updates on when NEPA plans to cut-off ur power supply: 40% (4 votes)
This poll has ended

How To Install The Right Version Of Code::blocks / Build A Mobile App Without Knowing Any Programming Language or line of code. / Function Points (FP) Vs Lines Of Code (LOC) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: [Project] 2012 Summer Of Code - WORK HAS COMMENCED by Kobojunkie: 1:20am On Jun 14, 2012
Javanian: Please assist me on this project
https://www.nairaland.com/963364/project-application-make-calls-using
Thanks

First Help us, and we will help you.
Re: [Project] 2012 Summer Of Code - WORK HAS COMMENCED by Javanian: 6:51am On Jun 14, 2012
Kobojunkie:

First Help us, and we will help you.
Have you asked me to help you and i didnt or have you started the project?...i've been part of this thread from the begining....but it seems the project is not as serious as i taught...
Re: [Project] 2012 Summer Of Code - WORK HAS COMMENCED by Kobojunkie: 9:21am On Jun 14, 2012
Javanian:
Have you asked me to help you and i didnt or have you started the project?...i've been part of this thread from the begining....but it seems the project is not as serious as i taught...

How did you come to the assertion in bold? If you have been reading the posts to this point, you would realize that right now we are trying to gather information on how to proceed. . . so how did you surmise that implies we are not at all serious? undecided Is gathering requirements, and necessary resources, NOT PART of software Development? Am I missing something here. undecided

1 Like

Re: [Project] 2012 Summer Of Code - WORK HAS COMMENCED by Javanian: 3:10pm On Jun 14, 2012
Kobojunkie:

How did you come to the assertion in bold? If you have been reading the posts to this point, you would realize that right now we are trying to gather information on how to proceed. . . so how did you surmise that implies we are not at all serious? undecided Is gathering requirements, and necessary resources, NOT PART of software Development? Am I missing something here. undecided
i only said it wz nt as serious as i taught because of the no of pple showing interest....That dosent call for any quarel....sorry if i sounded rude....
Re: [Project] 2012 Summer Of Code - WORK HAS COMMENCED by Kobojunkie: 4:22pm On Jun 14, 2012
Javanian:
i only said it wz nt as serious as i taught because of the no of pple showing interest....That dosent call for any quarel....sorry if i sounded rude....

But, again, the Project is in requirements gathering phase. Many of these folks here are not required to be involved in this stage. The Project manager is himself doing what he can, and rightly so(since he is the Project Manager), to get access to the right information, BEFORE the actual design and development phases can commence.
Re: [Project] 2012 Summer Of Code - WORK HAS COMMENCED by Javanian: 4:40pm On Jun 14, 2012
Kobojunkie:

But, again, the Project is in requirements gathering phase. Many of these folks here are not required to be involved in this stage. The Project manager is himself doing what he can, and rightly so(since he is the Project Manager), to get access to the right information, BEFORE the actual design and development phases can commence.
No probs Boss...
Re: [Project] 2012 Summer Of Code - WORK HAS COMMENCED by Kobojunkie: 9:33pm On Jun 14, 2012
@A_zed, seems I have found a site with some of the data we need. It is not live data but it might do for now. And we can probably look into putting together an API that turns around and serves that data to other groups that might want to benefit from it. Just an idea.

https://www.nairaland.com/963274/how-get-official-documents-relating/1#11117147
Re: [Project] 2012 Summer Of Code - WORK HAS COMMENCED by Nobody: 6:26am On Jun 15, 2012
I couldn't go through all the comments here and so do not know what conclusion you guys came up with. Can someone tell me
Re: [Project] 2012 Summer Of Code - WORK HAS COMMENCED by Kobojunkie: 7:43pm On Jun 15, 2012
ekwah: I couldn't go through all the comments here and so do not know what conclusion you guys came up with. Can someone tell me

Please take time to read through the thread to gain a good understanding of what this is about, and where you can plug yourself in.
Re: [Project] 2012 Summer Of Code - WORK HAS COMMENCED by AZeD1(m): 8:19pm On Jun 15, 2012
Kobojunkie: @A_zed, seems I have found a site with some of the data we need. It is not live data but it might do for now. And we can probably look into putting together an API that turns around and serves that data to other groups that might want to benefit from it. Just an idea.

https://www.nairaland.com/963274/how-get-official-documents-relating/1#11117147

yeah saw the links in the other thread.
I think that will be okay at least for now. Thanks.
Re: [Project] 2012 Summer Of Code - WORK HAS COMMENCED by AZeD1(m): 8:24pm On Jun 15, 2012
Re: [Project] 2012 Summer Of Code - WORK HAS COMMENCED by Kobojunkie: 6:43pm On Jun 16, 2012
I suggest we look into using IText to read and manipulate the contents of the PDF documents. I also suggest we look into creating mapper files for the PDF read sources. When a new PDF is manually downloaded, the mapper reads the data from the PDF and stores it into the database from which we work from.
Re: [Project] 2012 Summer Of Code - WORK HAS COMMENCED by Kobojunkie: 12:05am On Jun 19, 2012
@Project Manager, we are waiting on you to start the next phase now. Wetin we go do now? undecided
Re: [Project] 2012 Summer Of Code - WORK HAS COMMENCED by Kobojunkie: 7:27pm On Jun 19, 2012
Initialize class diagram for Pdf data Extraction
=================================================

[img]http://yuml.me/2ab05886.jpg[/img]

To view the file. Copy the quoted text below. Go to YUML link, and past the text inside the provided textarea, and click Draw Diagram. OR link to CLASS DIAGRAM

//PDF Data Extraction and Storage
[IDBObject|+ConnectionString+;IsCurrent|+Initialize();+Save()]
[IPDFReader|+Initialize();+LoadPDFObject();BeginPDFRead();PDFReadComplte();+BeginWriteToDatabase();WritePDFToDatabaseComplete();UpdateTransactionLog();]
[IPDFObject|+ObjectID;+Owner;+AssociatedPDF;+PDFFileUri;+CreationDate;+LastModificationDate;-Title; +FileEncoding|]
[IPDFMapper|++;MapperID;+OrderNum;|+ToString();+Initialize();]
[IDBObject]-[note: DB Object Writer(no read){bg:cornsilk}]
[IPDFReader]-[note: Reader to Extract Data and Write Data to DB{bg:cornsilk}]
[IPDFObject]-[note: Represents a PDF document {bg:cornsilk}]
[IPDFMapper]-[note: Mappings of a PDF document{bg:cornsilk}]
[IPDFObject]++-1>[IPDFMapper]
[IDBObject]^-.-[IPDFReader]
[IPDFReader]>[IPDFObject]
Re: [Project] 2012 Summer Of Code - WORK HAS COMMENCED by AZeD1(m): 7:33pm On Jun 19, 2012
Kobojunkie: @Project Manager, we are waiting on you to start the next phase now. Wetin we go do now? undecided

Sorry for the wait,
Is there a way i can download the uml image you posted?

Next should be visual diagram of the whole app.
Re: [Project] 2012 Summer Of Code - WORK HAS COMMENCED by Kobojunkie: 7:52pm On Jun 19, 2012
A-ZeD:

Sorry for the wait,
Is there a way i can download the uml image you posted?

Next should be visual diagram of the whole app.

Go to the provided link or recreate it at Yuml.me. Also please try to provide us with regular updates so we can move this project forward. As I said you hold the capacity of Project Manager on this project.
Re: [Project] 2012 Summer Of Code - WORK HAS COMMENCED by AZeD1(m): 11:58am On Jun 20, 2012
Major parts of the app

1)The Current budget review
This place shows the whole budget at a glance(withs charts etc). An explanation of each part of the app would be given so that lay people can understand.(one of the goals of the app is to make Nigerians understand the budget). This area will be available to the general public.

2)The monthly/quarterly review
This place shows government spending as against the budget. Should ideally contain charts explanations e.t.c

3)The spending review
This is where we show government spending as gotten fron the bpe website. check posts above to see the links for your self. This is also a public area.

4)Admin area
This is for the site admins. Not for the public.

5)**Scandal/theft area
This shows various lootings that will get to public domain e'g the pensions fund scam. Will NOT contain issues relating to bribery ala Farouk Lawan saga.

** Still undecided about number 5.
Re: [Project] 2012 Summer Of Code - WORK HAS COMMENCED by Kobojunkie: 3:46pm On Jun 20, 2012
I will try to look at how to break down mappings for each of the Budget PDF files. It is going to be some work considering the files don't seem to follow any particular format. But I will go through as many as I can to figure something out. We need a break down of how we build some infrastructure(generic or non) to extract, on a regular basis, some of the data from the pdf and store that data in a more structured way for the application to take advantage of.
Re: [Project] 2012 Summer Of Code - WORK HAS COMMENCED by gozzilla(m): 9:36am On Jun 27, 2012
NIce idea. Basically some one raised the point that this is just a glorified data capturing project. The thing is I see nothing wrong with that. Data has been one of the things that is really lacking in our country, and any attempt at helping out is great. So here is how I see it. Maybe we should focus first (and actually begin) on deciding on what data to capture, the how and how to verify the integrity of the data.

I already see that we have answered Q 2 and Kobo is already working on that. But we need to answer question one what data do we capture that will best explain the budget to everyone. And Q 3 how do you verify each data you input into the system. Remember one source of information on the web is not always a great idea.

Finally, since our government will not initiate open gov data. This could be a start of something along that line. That means what ever we design lets find a way to design an application that can allow others to use the data we are capturing, and if possible contribute to it. Data is fun when used by all.

So what now. Will be a happy man if we can decide on the language, technology and actually begin (My opinion cause I am agile)

1 Like

Re: [Project] 2012 Summer Of Code - WORK HAS COMMENCED by AZeD1(m): 8:43am On Jun 28, 2012
Sorry for being awol.... i just relocated and i'm still not at my final destination.

gozzilla: NIce idea. Basically some one raised the point that this is just a glorified data capturing project. The thing is I see nothing wrong with that. Data has been one of the things that is really lacking in our country, and any attempt at helping out is great. So here is how I see it. Maybe we should focus first (and actually begin) on deciding on what data to capture, the how and how to verify the integrity of the data.

I already see that we have answered Q 2 and Kobo is already working on that. But we need to answer question one what data do we capture that will best explain the budget to everyone. And Q 3 how do you verify each data you input into the system. Remember one source of information on the web is not always a great idea.

Finally, since our government will not initiate open gov data. This could be a start of something along that line. That means what ever we design lets find a way to design an application that can allow others to use the data we are capturing, and if possible contribute to it. Data is fun when used by all.

So what now. Will be a happy man if we can decide on the language, technology and actually begin (My opinion cause I am agile)

We are starting with the FG's budget which can be gotten from the budget offices website(Check page three for the link.) so unless the budget office puts up mis leading infomation, we are 99% sure of the integrity and accuracy of the data.
Re: [Project] 2012 Summer Of Code - WORK HAS COMMENCED by Kobojunkie: 8:12pm On Jun 28, 2012
gozzilla: NIce idea. Basically some one raised the point that this is just a glorified data capturing project. The thing is I see nothing wrong with that. Data has been one of the things that is really lacking in our country, and any attempt at helping out is great. So here is how I see it. Maybe we should focus first (and actually begin) on deciding on what data to capture, the how and how to verify the integrity of the data.

No joke! I have been working part-time to figure out how to map data from files that we have been able to download.

Still wondering where the other developers are.
Re: [Project] 2012 Summer Of Code - WORK HAS COMMENCED by Kobojunkie: 10:49pm On Jun 28, 2012
gozzilla:

Since you are happy about the data resource that this will potentially make available, can you volunteer to help with data scrubbing work that is needed at this point? Essentially, what I am doing is coming up with different ways to extract data that is contained in the PDF documents and pushing them into formatted table structures in excel or access. So that when we are ready to start, we at least have a very good idea of what the data looks like, and how to redesign what we have extracted, if we need to.
The goal is to get it as formatted as possible right now so that when we finally begin writing the application layer, we will only need to plug in to the 'cleaned' data as is, and use it as we need to. So some good database design comes in handy at this point as we can kill two birds with one stone that way. Should we need to redesign at a later date, we can certainly do that but take it that cleaning also means creating the alpha data end of this.
Re: [Project] 2012 Summer Of Code - WORK HAS COMMENCED by Kobojunkie: 10:52pm On Jun 28, 2012
For all the other developers who said they are interested, this is a good place to start yourself. Certainly there are tons of PDF files online to download and work on, and some of them are so small that it will probably take you an hour or two of your time to tackle. But the others are huge, so be prepared.

Here are some links . . ..

TASK ONE -- This link is for MDA link . . . I found this while spelunking and I am certain someone out there can easily work on this. Essentially put together a table or two containing the Agency info, linking it to the contents of the included excel file

http://www.servenigeria.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=306&Itemid=234

[b]TASK TWO -- [/b]This is the link to Federal Projects. Not really in pdf format. I have emailed a couple pf times requesting the data in downloadable format but no reply to date. So what needs to happen is the project list needs to be linked in to some database(probably manual work) and the information on each also needs to be logged in other table(s). I will leave this to the person who decides to work on this but this is information we need, so feel free to ask any questions of me on how it can be done.

http://www.nigeriafederaltenders.gov.ng/default.asp?myKey=
Re: [Project] 2012 Summer Of Code - WORK HAS COMMENCED by Kobojunkie: 11:22pm On Jun 28, 2012
This is an example of the map I came up with for the following Budget file. Currently working on getting the actual data into the various tables correctly, before I move on to another of these documents. Definitely we could reuse a lot of the data tables but for now, for anyone interested into helping out, you can ask me about what means and I will be sure to respond.

[url=http://www.budgetoffice.gov.ng/2012_budget_pro_details/5.%20Summary_Police%20Formation.pdf]POLICE FORMATIONS & COMMAND 2012 BUDGET[/url]

1 Like

Re: [Project] 2012 Summer Of Code - WORK HAS COMMENCED by gozzilla(m): 9:14am On Jun 29, 2012
Kobojunkie:

TASK ONE -- This link is for MDA link . . . I found this while spelunking and I am certain someone out there can easily work on this. Essentially put together a table or two containing the Agency info, linking it to the contents of the included excel file

http://www.servenigeria.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=306&Itemid=234

[b]TASK TWO -- [/b]This is the link to Federal Projects. Not really in pdf format. I have emailed a couple pf times requesting the data in downloadable format but no reply to date. So what needs to happen is the project list needs to be linked in to some database(probably manual work) and the information on each also needs to be logged in other table(s). I will leave this to the person who decides to work on this but this is information we need, so feel free to ask any questions of me on how it can be done.

I can handle that if that is ok.

Kobojunkie:

The site is not opening for me.
Re: [Project] 2012 Summer Of Code - WORK HAS COMMENCED by Kobojunkie: 2:25pm On Jun 29, 2012
Re: [Project] 2012 Summer Of Code - WORK HAS COMMENCED by Kobojunkie: 8:35pm On Jun 29, 2012
I am uploading a semi-finished version of the data, that I worked on. Anyone working on Budget data, can take a look at the attached excel file for ideas on how to clean up the information and probably group the information so it is readable and easier to use.

Re: [Project] 2012 Summer Of Code - WORK HAS COMMENCED by gozzilla(m): 3:21pm On Jul 03, 2012
Kobo. Did you succeed in uploading the excel files. I am still cleaning up those files. Hope to complete them. Any other task?
Re: [Project] 2012 Summer Of Code - WORK HAS COMMENCED by Kobojunkie: 7:26pm On Jul 03, 2012
The excel file is called BUDGET LINE ITEMS.xls . You will find a link to it in my previous post.

I downloaded and have been working on the Health Ministry file, and that seems to be going well. I think I will need to upload a review of the design I had earlier. Essentially a minor change to accomodate the new findings in the file I am currently working on. when I am don with this, we should have a more solid design, at least for the budget data.
Re: [Project] 2012 Summer Of Code - WORK HAS COMMENCED by harryobas: 10:43pm On Jul 03, 2012
@kobojunkie Do u have a sort of baseline architecture for this project that can serve as a quick learning aid for interested developers who which to know more about the project with a view of joining the project at some point.
Re: [Project] 2012 Summer Of Code - WORK HAS COMMENCED by Kobojunkie: 11:29pm On Jul 03, 2012
Not at this point. We are doing more requirements gathering at this point, and this includes, as you need, gathering the data necessary for the success of the project. Since much of that data currently lives in unformatted pdf, html, and excel files online, what the plan is at this time is to gather as much of that data, clean as much of it as we can and get it sufficiently ready to help us plan the next steps and the tests to follow.

@A_zed is the project manager on this, and he probably can give you a better idea of what may follow.
Re: [Project] 2012 Summer Of Code - WORK HAS COMMENCED by Kobojunkie: 4:59pm On Jul 05, 2012
TASK THREE -- This is the link to ministry specific budget data files. The information needs to be cleaned up and made ready for use.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply)

Which Programming Language Should He Go For? / Java Tutorial For Beginners / Programmers: At What Age Did You Start Programming?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 72
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.