Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,834 members, 7,810,209 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 11:58 PM

Rashidi Yekini:: Condolence Register - Sports - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / Rashidi Yekini:: Condolence Register (13423 Views)

Weeds Overtake Rashidi Yekini’s House (Photos) / Rashidi Yekini: Forgotten In Nigeria, Remembered In Portugal (PHOTO) / Rashidi Yekini Is Dead? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Rashidi Yekini:: Condolence Register by WhoIGoAsk: 5:13pm On May 05, 2012
We've lost one of the greatest football player Nigeria has ever produced.
Let's pay our tribute to a great footballer; Rashidi Yekini

[size=20pt]Rashidi Yekini (23 October 1963 - 4 May 2012) was a Nigerian footballer who played as a striker. He scored Nigeria's first goal in a FIFA World Cup.[/size]

Yekini was born in Kaduna. After starting his professional career in the Nigerian league, he moved to Côte d'Ivoire to play for Africa Sports National. From there he went to Portugal and Vitória de Setúbal, where he experienced his most memorable years, eventually becoming the Portuguese first division's top scorer, in 1993–94, as his performances (32 matches, 34 goals) earned him the title of African Footballer of the Year in 1993, the first ever from the nation.
In the 1994 summer, Yekini was bought by Olympiacos FC, but did not get along with teammates and left. His career never really got back on track, not even upon a return to Setúbal, which happened after another unassuming spell, in La Liga with Sporting de Gijón. He successively played with FC Zürich, Club Athlétique Bizertin and Al-Shabab Riyadh, before rejoining Africa Sports. In 2003, at 39, he returned to the Nigerian championship with Julius Berger FC.
In 2005, 41-year old Yekini made a short comeback, moving alongside former national teammate Mobi Oparaku to Gateway United FC in Abeokuta, Ogun State, Nigeria.

Scoring 37 goals for Nigeria's national side in 58 appearances, Yekini is the national record goalscorer. He was part of the team that participated in the 1994 FIFA World Cup (where he scored Nigeria's first-ever goal in a World Cup, in a 3–0 win against Bulgaria) and the 1998 World Cup.
Additionally, Yekini also helped the Super Eagles win the 1994 Africa Cup of Nations, where he also topped the goal charts, and participated at Olympic level, in Seoul 1988.

[size=20pt]
Legacy
[/size]

Rashidi Yekini’s name would forever be remembered in the history of African football for his great achievements. From 1993-1994, as his performances (34 goals in 32 matches) was part of what contributed to him being given the title of African Footballer of the Year in 1993,[6] the first ever from Nigeria.

Re: Rashidi Yekini:: Condolence Register by WhoIGoAsk: 5:15pm On May 05, 2012
RIP Yekini Rashidi. Great player.

1 Like

Re: Rashidi Yekini:: Condolence Register by psalm201: 5:28pm On May 05, 2012
RIP.
Re: Rashidi Yekini:: Condolence Register by CyberG: 7:32pm On May 05, 2012
Fantastic player! RIP!
Re: Rashidi Yekini:: Condolence Register by ichommy(m): 7:33pm On May 05, 2012
RIP
Re: Rashidi Yekini:: Condolence Register by Fhemmmy: 7:34pm On May 05, 2012
May His soul rest in peace . .
Re: Rashidi Yekini:: Condolence Register by otokx(m): 7:39pm On May 05, 2012
You have left us with many lessons to learn.
Re: Rashidi Yekini:: Condolence Register by Businesstools(m): 7:40pm On May 05, 2012
Adieu Yekini
Re: Rashidi Yekini:: Condolence Register by MrGlobe(m): 7:40pm On May 05, 2012
Even tho I never knew you much but I heard of your expliots much. RIP
Re: Rashidi Yekini:: Condolence Register by pius4luv(m): 7:41pm On May 05, 2012
RIP Yekini Rashidi,I Love you so much!!!
Re: Rashidi Yekini:: Condolence Register by Drichard: 7:45pm On May 05, 2012
R.I.P LENGEND WE LUV U ALL GUD9TH.!!!
Re: Rashidi Yekini:: Condolence Register by franktolk(m): 7:46pm On May 05, 2012
RIP Yeking....
Re: Rashidi Yekini:: Condolence Register by Calebsy07: 7:53pm On May 05, 2012
U are too good, rest in peace
Re: Rashidi Yekini:: Condolence Register by ajetii(m): 7:53pm On May 05, 2012
When beggars die there is no comets seen but heaven blast forth the death of Yeking.
ADIEU, YeKing of Goals! Yours was a short & worthy life. No potent goal poacher has Nigeria had since you left the stage.

RIP, Yekini.
Re: Rashidi Yekini:: Condolence Register by Nobody: 7:56pm On May 05, 2012
Thanks for the lovely memories King.
RIP.
Re: Rashidi Yekini:: Condolence Register by Rich4god(m): 7:58pm On May 05, 2012
R.I.P... We will alwaz remember you.
Re: Rashidi Yekini:: Condolence Register by amtheone(m): 8:00pm On May 05, 2012
Rip, u were one of the greatest Nija eva had. Ur name remain fresh in our memories
Re: Rashidi Yekini:: Condolence Register by babaowo: 8:01pm On May 05, 2012
legend yeking R:Itongue:
Re: Rashidi Yekini:: Condolence Register by africanrapper: 8:05pm On May 05, 2012
RIP - Nigeria's all-time GOAL MACHINE. Papa Rashidi Yekini
Re: Rashidi Yekini:: Condolence Register by idaal(f): 8:05pm On May 05, 2012
I cnt remember precisely which match ȋ̝̊̅̄τ̣̣̥ was dat after he scored, he held d net and spoke some words. He was a great man that led Nigeria to victory. Goodnite Yekini
Re: Rashidi Yekini:: Condolence Register by damilola15: 8:07pm On May 05, 2012
Can't forget him grabbing and shaking that net.

If they play football in heaven, hope you'd score more memorable goals.

RIP!!!

1 Like

Re: Rashidi Yekini:: Condolence Register by lincDzinc(m): 8:08pm On May 05, 2012
Back in those on may way to school, a few times i do see u with dat ur 'benz 230' around 'Queen cinema' very close to Adamasingba stadium in Ibadan... R.I.P Rashidi Yekini.., R.I.P...
Re: Rashidi Yekini:: Condolence Register by ZUBY77(m): 8:08pm On May 05, 2012
I remember how happy you made me when i was a kid. Watching you was a delight, scoring wonderful spectacular goals. I know how ridiculous this may sound but i place you above all the politicians in this country. RIP Rashidi... My gangling hero.
Re: Rashidi Yekini:: Condolence Register by muhsin(m): 8:09pm On May 05, 2012
May Allah grant his soul an eternal peace, amin.
Re: Rashidi Yekini:: Condolence Register by damas11111(m): 8:11pm On May 05, 2012
May Allah accept you in AlJanah. RIP
Re: Rashidi Yekini:: Condolence Register by shadrach77: 8:11pm On May 05, 2012
first nigerian to score in a world cup
first nigerian to win African footballer of the year
first nigerian to win highest goal scoreer in europe
first nigerian to feature in five nation cups
highest nigerian goal scorer

RIP Rashidi! angry sad sad sad sad

2 Likes

Re: Rashidi Yekini:: Condolence Register by Diligence: 8:15pm On May 05, 2012
Adieu thou great man
Who inspired young minds to aspire
Your goals brot honour and glory to they fatherland
Ur steps on sand of time are giant strides
You answered the call of nature
You will always be remembered fondly

Adieu thou great man!
Re: Rashidi Yekini:: Condolence Register by id2010(m): 8:16pm On May 05, 2012
ADIEU Rashidi Yekini.. u will forever be remembered in the world of football.. u have done your own aspect. it is not the no of years.. but what u Achieved RIP..!
Re: Rashidi Yekini:: Condolence Register by member479760: 8:19pm On May 05, 2012
shadrach77: first nigerian to score in a world cup
first nigerian to win African footballer of the year
first nigerian to win highest goal scoreer in europe
first nigerian to feature in five nation cups
highest nigerian goal scorer

RIP Rashidi! angry sad sad sad sad

He deserves national award!
Re: Rashidi Yekini:: Condolence Register by nellybadas: 8:20pm On May 05, 2012
MAY YOUR SOUL REST IN PEACE. U WILL FOREVER BE REMEMBERED FOR YOUR ACHIEVEMENTS. MAY GOD FORGIVE YOU YOUR SINS AND GRANT YOU PARADISE.

1 Like

Re: Rashidi Yekini:: Condolence Register by Nzeudo: 8:20pm On May 05, 2012
May his soul rest in peace
Re: Rashidi Yekini:: Condolence Register by neksummi(m): 8:20pm On May 05, 2012
RIP Great Player!

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

2018 NBA Finals: Warriors Sweeps LeBron James Cavaliers For 2nd Straight Title / Table-tennis: Quadri Beats Rival, Assar To Win Second Senior Championship / Pictures From Eko 2012 Opening Ceremony

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 25
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.