Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,841 members, 7,820,929 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 03:38 AM

Rashidi Yekini:: Condolence Register - Sports (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / Rashidi Yekini:: Condolence Register (13440 Views)

Weeds Overtake Rashidi Yekini’s House (Photos) / Rashidi Yekini: Forgotten In Nigeria, Remembered In Portugal (PHOTO) / Rashidi Yekini Is Dead? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Rashidi Yekini:: Condolence Register by consize: 11:05pm On May 05, 2012
Rest in Peace Oga Rashidi, you brought a lot of joy into our lives
Re: Rashidi Yekini:: Condolence Register by koruji(m): 11:09pm On May 05, 2012
RIP Rashidi Yekini.

Your first-ever Nigeria world cup goal and the equally magical celebration remains burned into our collective memory for ever.
Re: Rashidi Yekini:: Condolence Register by iyes(m): 11:13pm On May 05, 2012
Some records of Rashidi Yekini:

1. Scorer of Nigeria's first World Cup goal
2. Never missed a penalty kick in his career.
3. Never got a yellow or red card in his career.
4. Never down with injury
5. Never missed a match for the country during his playing career.
6. All time highest goal scorer for Nigeria.

1 Like

Re: Rashidi Yekini:: Condolence Register by saudatu(m): 11:14pm On May 05, 2012
may ALLAH forgive him of his sin, and grant him paradice. Amin. RIP SIR
Re: Rashidi Yekini:: Condolence Register by Sunky200: 11:31pm On May 05, 2012
Rip
Re: Rashidi Yekini:: Condolence Register by safariman(m): 11:38pm On May 05, 2012
May his soul rest in Peace. A very humble man
Re: Rashidi Yekini:: Condolence Register by edetcnn(m): 11:42pm On May 05, 2012
FOR RASHIDI ...

I started this piece as a short tribute to Rashidi, but after reading through it when I finished writing, I felt a tinge of satisfaction that I was able to sneak in a requiem for Nigeria.

You know who I am talking about. There can only be one Rashidi that every Nigerian knows, and all other African soccer teams dreaded.

Yes, we "know" him, because Rashidi can never be "past-tensed" in our minds. Not as long as TV and recordable digital media exists. Slot in a DVD, or tune in to a channel years from now, you will see him on your screen; those gangling long legs, the giant physique, the energy and raw power, the almost apelike mien - did you expect me to say he is an Adonis now that he is dead...?

I can't remember him smile after scoring.
I can't say he was as fast, spectacular, or skilful as a striker should be, If we consider the likes of Eto, et al.
But he was Africa's goal-king.
The best there was; maybe ever, if we do a critical analysis that will factor-in the improved conditions and facilities available to contemporary football players today.

There can only be one Rashidi, even in Africa.

I will never forget coming back from school during one of the Tunisia 94 African cup of nations Matches. I was still at the corridor, and the whole premises was empty with not a nary sound except snippets of the commentary from TV sets, when I heard a commentator's voice (can't remember now whether it was from a TV or radio):

"Goooooooooooooooooooooooaaaaaaaaaaaaalllllll!!!!
It is a Goooooooooooooooooooooooaaaaaaaaaaaaalllllll!!!!
Heeee has done it agaaaaaaaaaaaaaaiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiinnnnn!!!!
Rashiiiiiidiiiiiiiiii Yekinniiiiiiiiiiiiiii!!
What a goaaaaaal!
What a plaaaaayeeeeeeeeeeeeeer!!"
And then the hitherto deserted premises miraculously erupted with people, as everyone rushed out from their apartments into courtyard in delirious celebration.

I bet you, by next week, the government will set-up a committee to suggest ways to immortalise him. And by next month will engage consultants to implement the Immortalization committee's em, em is that communique again? Then next year, they (government) will award the Multi-million Naira Rashidi Yekini memorial project contract ...

VIVA NIGERIA! A COUNTRY THAT DOES NOT VALUE ITS HEROES!!

Now, tell me why stopping the savage em, em (take your pick between "pogrom" and "genocide" but don't call it anything less until you first check your dictionary for the meaning of the two words I suggested) of hapless unarmed human beings by Islamic Fundamentalists (whose sponsors are known) in present day Northern Nigeria will be a priority; when there are still billions of Petro-dollars to be stolen by government officials and their political cronies?

This was meant to be a short tribute to a great man, but see what the Nigerian government and political class, can turn an ordinarily quiet, mourning young man like me to ...

I may not have the voice or a mic, but I can still type ...

"WHAT A GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOAAAAAAAAAAALLLL!
WHAT A PLAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAYEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEERRRRR!"

Adieu Rashidi Yekini
Adieu, the one and only Ye-king!
[img][/img]
https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10151054132909126&set=a.10150157019389126.356059.800624125&type=1

2 Likes

Re: Rashidi Yekini:: Condolence Register by vanstanzy(m): 11:44pm On May 05, 2012
ZUBY77: I remember how happy you made me when i was a kid. Watching you was a delight, scoring wonderful spectacular goals. I know how ridiculous this may sound but i place you above all the politicians in this country. RIP Rashidi... My gangling hero.
@ZUBBY77
Pls dont compare st. Yekini to crook politicians! Its sacrilege.

The lord of goals is gone home. Even lionel messi in all his splendour cant match ur goal reign. I doubt messi will ever be spectacular at goals such as you.
Nigeria misses u mastery of goal skills alot. Since u left football we've been having a goal drought, cant even find one that can score 30 percent of ur record.
ALL HAIL THE GOAL LORD!!!!!
Re: Rashidi Yekini:: Condolence Register by saintchyco: 11:47pm On May 05, 2012
marvelous player , may you soul rest in peace
Re: Rashidi Yekini:: Condolence Register by vanstanzy(m): 11:53pm On May 05, 2012
With tears in my eyes) YOU ARE A GOAL LORD FOREVER LIKE MELKIZEDEK IS A PRIEST FOREVER! REST IN PEACE MOST-PATRIOTIC!
Re: Rashidi Yekini:: Condolence Register by biolanurat: 12:04am On May 06, 2012
RIP Rasheed Yekini. To be a hero in Naija sucks. I hope ur beefers in '94 squad are happy now. God pass dem.
Yekini,may God 4give u ur sins and grant u Al_Jannah Firdaus.
Re: Rashidi Yekini:: Condolence Register by Nobody: 12:15am On May 06, 2012
I just remember as a little girl watching the '94 Africa Cup of Nations with my dad who was totally crazy about Yekini. Any time Yekini's foot would touch the ball, my dad would yell...."There goes my man Yekini ...!!" I'll never forget it.

R.I.P my man Yekini.
Re: Rashidi Yekini:: Condolence Register by Paentera(m): 12:33am On May 06, 2012
Adieu King of Goals, rest well in the Lord's bossom.
Re: Rashidi Yekini:: Condolence Register by noiseless: 12:39am On May 06, 2012
Oh dear Yekini, RIP.
Re: Rashidi Yekini:: Condolence Register by ogaemma: 12:48am On May 06, 2012
May God receive his soul.
Re: Rashidi Yekini:: Condolence Register by freshmoney(m): 12:58am On May 06, 2012
RIP Sir. I remember nobody could do without calling your name then. We had white/black television, but no antenna, I remember, we had to go to that fifth house to see our 'hero' playing. You were the Martin Luther of our time. May God guide you through in the next life. Despite the fact that you knew Nigeria may not appreciate your immense contribution, you continued, selflessly, adding to her growth.
Re: Rashidi Yekini:: Condolence Register by Nobody: 1:16am On May 06, 2012
RIP The True Legend!
Re: Rashidi Yekini:: Condolence Register by Folala(m): 1:37am On May 06, 2012
RIP Yekini. You will forever be remembered as one of Africa's most prolific striker.
Re: Rashidi Yekini:: Condolence Register by 3seriez(m): 2:13am On May 06, 2012
and after all his achievements and putting Nigeria on the Map, He has not been given a National Award..And idots get the award.
SHAME, SHAME, SHAME.
May Allah Grant u eternal rest player..
Re: Rashidi Yekini:: Condolence Register by tjadeba(m): 2:31am On May 06, 2012
Thanks for the joy,thanks for the happiness you brought unto people's faces with your goals..one of the most dedicated,down to earth players Nigeria ever had.None is perfect and so,I ask God to forgive all your sins and grant you Al-Janat.Adieu goalsfather,goals merchant,gangling striker,baba Yekini,Yeking,omo iya alamala,Rashidi is a goal...names you were fondly called.
Re: Rashidi Yekini:: Condolence Register by Roforofo(m): 3:18am On May 06, 2012
While our useless thieving Football Federation and Ministry of Sports has not announced anything officially on the death of a patriotic Nigerian who served his country his former club have his death has headline news on their website, are flying their club flag at half mast in his honour and will have a minute of silence in respect for the late Rashidi Yekini.
http://www.vfc.pt/noticias/clube/05_05_12_adeusyekini Just shows you how useless our officials are in Nigeria. No wonder the government does not care about raising fuel prices. Nigeria, a country where the leaders and officials do not give a DAMN about their own people!!!!
Re: Rashidi Yekini:: Condolence Register by 9ja4eva: 3:35am On May 06, 2012
RIP GREAT MAN
Re: Rashidi Yekini:: Condolence Register by duduspace(m): 3:39am On May 06, 2012
Generations of Nigerians mourn you Yekini, Thank you for the memories you gave us all in your service to our country. You used your considerable talents to help put Nigeria on the global football map and your patriotic contribution will never be forgotten in our history. Your legend will be relived by those yet to be born.
Re: Rashidi Yekini:: Condolence Register by Kingcoolboy(m): 4:42am On May 06, 2012
hmmmmmmmmmmnnnnnnnnnnnnnnn........ Am short of words wen i heard d death of a legend,U have laid an unforgettable footprint.... Rest in d bossom of ur lord...... Gud 9te Rashidi Yekini.........
Re: Rashidi Yekini:: Condolence Register by wakeupgian(m): 5:35am On May 06, 2012
AdieuRasheed Yekini,omo Iya-Alakara l'Offa.your exploits on d field of play makes u a general of sort.posthumnur award.condolence 4rm Fagbore
Re: Rashidi Yekini:: Condolence Register by DPsalmist2(m): 5:56am On May 06, 2012
RIP TO THE KING OF GOALS[/color][color=#006600]
Re: Rashidi Yekini:: Condolence Register by Nobody: 6:44am On May 06, 2012
Am saddened by ur demise,u were an epitome of excellence in de round leather game.the legacies u left behind will continue to speak for u.farewell bro and RIP
Re: Rashidi Yekini:: Condolence Register by Dawdy(m): 6:55am On May 06, 2012
Rashidi yekini! the greate player is gone, may ALMIGHTY ALLAH forgive u and paradise AL janat.
Re: Rashidi Yekini:: Condolence Register by Jarus(m): 7:03am On May 06, 2012
Every soul shall have a taste of death. Erinwo, Ajanaku sun. Odigba, Yekini, the real king of goals.
Re: Rashidi Yekini:: Condolence Register by phreakabit(m): 7:11am On May 06, 2012
Fantastic player! RIP.
Re: Rashidi Yekini:: Condolence Register by sharatech(m): 7:12am On May 06, 2012
RIP
Re: Rashidi Yekini:: Condolence Register by kemiola89(f): 7:12am On May 06, 2012
The news of his death is so heartbreaking, cant imagine an hero like him died like dat, Nigeria is going no where wit dis "i dont care" atitude of our leaders. May his gentle soul rest in perfect peace.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Enyeama May Have Played Last Game For Nigeria - NFF Official / Osimhen Says It "Feels So Good To Be Back", Praises Napoli Teammates / Asisat Oshoala Joins Super Falcons For Last Training Session In Abuja. Photos

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 31
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.