Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,889 members, 7,824,712 topics. Date: Saturday, 11 May 2024 at 04:02 PM

25 Years After Awo’s Death: How He Predicted Events Of Today Half A Century Ago - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / 25 Years After Awo’s Death: How He Predicted Events Of Today Half A Century Ago (1102 Views)

UAE Blocks Attempt By An Ex-gov To Transfer Half A Billion Dollars / A Few Things Have Been Confirmed From The Events Of Yesterday At Onitsha. / Photos From The Scene Of Today's Riot In Oshodi,Lagos (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

25 Years After Awo’s Death: How He Predicted Events Of Today Half A Century Ago by manchy7531: 12:49pm On May 06, 2012
By Jide Ajani

Papa wondered why people couldn’t see ahead – Dr. Awolowo-Dosunmu
He predicted what is happening today – Ayo Adebanjo

What does late Papa Obafemi Awolowo have in common today with members of the Jamaatu Ahlil Sunna Lidawati wal Jihad, otherwise known as Boko Haram, Northern Governors Forum, NGF, members of the South South Governors, General Ibrahim Badamasi Babangida, President Goodluck Jonathan, Pastor Tunde Bakare – the list could go on?

At a time when the Nigerian nation is becoming shambolic, when insurgency and all manner of agitation have taken over the land, the profound words of Pa Awolowo while he was alive, that the best way for the Nigerian nation to develop and develop well is for the constituent units that constitute the federation to develop at their own pace without hindering the progress of one or more, while not foisting a regime of imbalance on the others by over centralizing responsibilities and privileges.

Today, those very profound thoughts capture the present agitation by those listed above. If members of Jamaatu Ahlil Sunna Lidawati wal Jihad had agitated for their own brand of Islam (as they set out to do ab initio through their late leader, Mohammed Yusuf), in a Northern Nigeria under a truly fiscally federal system, the dimension to the insurgency would have been different. It would have evolved within the operating environment that would have easily taken care of their demands, agitations or even excesses.

For the NGF, had Nigeria operated as a truly federal republic, with federating units developing at a pace commensurate to prevailing resources and opportunities, their demand for an increase in revenue or a change of the revenue sharing formular, with particular reference to derivation, would never have come up. But that is what the northern governors are saying now.

For the South South governors and their dreams of independent power plants and the intricate policy of not being able to transmit and distribute, true federalism would have solved their problem.

Even General Ibrahim Babangida who woke up some two years ago to express concern about the lack of a structure that would take care of the varying needs of the regions did not want to admit it but would have been more forthright had he owned up to the fact that true federalism would address most of the challenges confronting Nigeria.

For President Jonathan who appears to be unsurefooted after almost two years as president and a full year into the mandate that Nigerians gave him, his constant lamentation about the wanton destruction of lives and property by Boko Haram can be partially addressed if the basis of engagement of the federating units in Nigeria is re-negotiated.

All these had been captured by Obafemi Awolowo before and immediately after Nigeria’s independence, that true federalism would ensure a more prosperous and peaceful Nigerian nation. Perhaps, Awolowo lived ahead of his time.

On Wednesday, May 9, 2012, children, grand children, great grand children, great great grand children, in-laws, wife, friends, political associates, protégés, politicians, students, market women (and men) would throng Ikenne, Ogun State, for the 25th remembrance celebration of his death.

Chief Awolowo

In Nigeria, leaders are quickly forgotten once they die. Nigerians should not be blamed. The simple reason is that legacies, wonderful legacies, are very hard to attribute to leaders once they die. Even those living and still in positions of authority to do good find it very difficult to espouse the virtues of responsible leadership!

According to Dr. Tokunbo Awolowo-Dosunmu, daughter of the late sage, Papa lived a fulfilled life. She told Sunday Vanguard that “Papa lived a very fulfilled life on a personal note. He achieved all he set out to achieve. But there were times at breakfast that Papa would take a look at the situation in the country and begin to lament about what was going on and what was likely to happen.

“It created some sort of frustration for him because he wondered why people could not just see what he saw.
“He wondered why Nigerians would allow things to keep sliding down the precipice. “He wondered what was difficult in, for instance, not seeing that true federalism would address most of the concerns of Nigerians in more ways than one”. For the family, she said, Papa’s life provided immense inspiration.

This view is also shared by Pa Ayo Adebanjo, one of the very staunch followers of Awolowo, even in death.With immeasurable passion, Adebanjo told Sunday Vanguard that “Papa was a man who thought far ahead of his time. He saw things far ahead of many of his contemporaries. Papa was not your ordinary Yoruba man or your ordinary Nigerian”.

Asked about the significance of remembering him 25 years after his death, Adebanjo pointed out that “that is because of the things he stood for while he was alive; he thought ahead of his time. No Nigerian is remembered the way Awolowo is remembered. He foretold everything happening now. He believed that the Nigerian nation can’t be settled except the constituent units all grow at their own pace.

“Although we’ve tried to amend the constitution but we cant get it right except we go back to what he used to say in those days and that was the fact that true federalism would address most of the problems we have in this country – politically, economically, socially and even on the religious front, true federalism would cater for all”.

Continuing, Adebanjo revealed how Awolowo used to talk about the country with passion, the need for unity and all that but people who “could not see beyond their noses called him all sorts of names. Even those who said he was rigid, I would rather have a rigid man who means well and does well for all to see than people who are good for nothing. Those who were not rigid, what good have they done for Nigeria. Even those among them who are alive and had more opportunities to do good, did they do it”, Adebanjo querried.

”He fought for the minorities and when in those days he started championing their cause, because they did not understand what he was saying, people labeled him a tribalist. They called him names. They were blind but he was practical. He emphasized honest leadership. He had always said corruption and corrupt leadership can not get us anywhere at all and that is what we are seeing today. Look at the subsidy probe. It is all about those in the Peoples Democratic Party, PDP, the party of the President”, he said.

On a personal note, according to Adebanjo, “sometime in the late 1970s, I lost a brother and when I eventually met with Papa, I challenged him in my own way that he did not even commiserate with me but papa shocked me with his response and that singular event humbled me.

“He didn’t know that I’d lost a brother and you needed to see the way he apologized so profusely such that I became embarrassed. The following day he drove all the way from Ikene to Ijebu to condole with my father. He was that nice. As a young man I felt bad. But he said Ayoos, I didn’t know. He pleaded as if he offended me.

“When I remember that and look at our people today I wonder and I compare his humility to what some of our so called politicians do today, I just wonder”. Speaking with Sunday Vanguard, Mr. Edward Dickson, Editor, Nigerian Tribune, Awolowo’s paper, explained that “most of what Papa said in those days remain pungent now and that is why he would forever be remembered”.

On Wednesday’s programme, Dickson said there would be a service of songs at Our Saviours Anglican Church, Ikene, orgnaised by the Obafemi Awolowo Memorial Anglican Church, OAMAC, adding that reception for guests would be both at the Awolowo residence in Ikene as well as Our Saviours Church. He said 25years after his death, the family is still grateful to God that he remains relevant: “Hardly a day passes that people would not make reference to him for good”.
Re: 25 Years After Awo’s Death: How He Predicted Events Of Today Half A Century Ago by manchy7531: 12:52pm On May 06, 2012
all this SW press men no go use laugh kill me.i wonder why they like making mockery of this ex-convict suicide bomber

comment from Chris

yoruba love to talk about awolowo
they always say awolowo wanted federalism but this is hogwash.
when he had the greatest opportunity to fight for regionalism he chose to be federalist and became the greatest proponent of one nigeria . i am not ibo but the ibos are the only people that know what they want in nigeria. yoruba people are just making noise while they rob the nation . this man awo is just another western noisemaker
i am a middlebelter and we know who is for nigeria and who is not . when the time comes the truth will come out. ojukwu death will bring out many things soon .just wait and see

http://www.vanguardngr.com/2012/05/25-years-after-awos-death-how-he-predicted-events-of-today-half-a-century-ago/
Re: 25 Years After Awo’s Death: How He Predicted Events Of Today Half A Century Ago by manchy7531: 12:53pm On May 06, 2012
A flawed and erroneous perception of Awo. This is not to denigrade his persona, but to paint a true picture and a realistic representation of Awo is as follows:

1. He was a tribal chieftain and could not see beyond his nose when it mattered the most for a short-term gain.

2. He was full of contempt and was distrustful of his comtemporaries, and also led the way in tribal politics (Carpet-crossing).

3. When Emeka Ojukwu who was young enough to be his own son, warned him of the impending doom. This same Awo jettisoned a brillant idea to free everybody from this shackle and bondage of a nation called Nigeria.

4. Awo was consumed with hate in thinking that the defeat of Igbos will advertently bring endless rewards to Yorubas by taking over from where the Igbos left off. But as history has shown us, such rewards never last long in history.

5. That singular act of betrayal from Pa Awo has forever and inadvertently placed a burden of guilt on the younger Yorubas, who will always be derided and stigmatized cameleons and a bunch that can't be trusted, weather deserved or not, only time will tale.

To be continued............Only time will tale!!!
Re: 25 Years After Awo’s Death: How He Predicted Events Of Today Half A Century Ago by T9ksy(m): 12:31am On May 07, 2012
manchy7531: A flawed and erroneous perception of Awo. This is not to denigrade his persona, but to paint a true picture and a realistic representation of Awo is as follows:

1. [s]He was a tribal chieftain and could not see beyond his nose when it mattered the most for a short-term gain.

2. He was full of contempt and was distrustful of his comtemporaries, and also led the way in tribal politics (Carpet-crossing).

3. When Emeka Ojukwu who was young enough to be his own son, warned him of the impending doom. This same Awo jettisoned a brillant idea to free everybody from this shackle and bondage of a nation called Nigeria.

4. Awo was consumed with hate in thinking that the defeat of Igbos will advertently bring endless rewards to Yorubas by taking over from where the Igbos left off. But as history has shown us, such rewards never last long in history.

5. That singular act of betrayal from Pa Awo has forever and inadvertently placed a burden of guilt on the younger Yorubas, who will always be derided and stigmatized cameleons and a bunch that can't be trusted, weather deserved or not, only time will tale.
[/s]

[b]To be continued............[/b]Only time will tale!!!

Please do spare us this same ol' BS! We 've heard it all before.

Thanks.
Re: 25 Years After Awo’s Death: How He Predicted Events Of Today Half A Century Ago by slimghost(m): 4:27pm On May 07, 2012
manchy7531: A flawed and erroneous perception of Awo. This is not to denigrade his persona, but to paint a true picture and a realistic representation of Awo is as follows:

1. He was a tribal chieftain and could not see beyond his nose when it mattered the most for a short-term gain.

True talk man!!!
Re: 25 Years After Awo’s Death: How He Predicted Events Of Today Half A Century Ago by gidiMonsta(m): 6:25pm On May 07, 2012

STFU...all ur 5pts r based one ridiculous notion that Awo betrayed Ibos because he did not go along with ur silly secession plans, Awo did not betray anybody, stop casting aspersions on a dead just to justify the reason ur coup against the nation failed.

As for ur silly opinion of stigmatization; its only d ibos that live on d past, let's just move on leave all ds Biafra shi.t in d backwaters of history. We yorubas are progressive people and do not care for ur silly approval, all we want is regional governance so we can return to our path to greatness while ur pple keep shouting marginalization while ur foolish leaders rob u dry.

BTW: if all yorubas are cowards because AWO didn't support ur plan then so r ibos too since ZIK had d same opinion too.
Re: 25 Years After Awo’s Death: How He Predicted Events Of Today Half A Century Ago by MrGlobe(m): 6:34pm On May 07, 2012
Awo is a pathetic tribalist and coward. Very corny. And somebody above me said yerubas are progressives? TunubuCN is progressive. Thats news to me. People living in utmost deciet
Re: 25 Years After Awo’s Death: How He Predicted Events Of Today Half A Century Ago by Nobody: 6:36pm On May 07, 2012
!
Re: 25 Years After Awo’s Death: How He Predicted Events Of Today Half A Century Ago by otokx(m): 6:43pm On May 07, 2012
Another thread derailed by tribal bigots.
Re: 25 Years After Awo’s Death: How He Predicted Events Of Today Half A Century Ago by Dede1(m): 3:26am On May 08, 2012
Who told the moronic essayist named Ayo Adebanjo that Nigerians wanted whatever nonsensical crap Awolowo predicted? Today’s Nigerians want disintegration and my recollection informed Awo never supported or predicated disintegration rather he fought for the cesspit called Nigeria amidst the slogan “One-Nigeria”.

Few loudmouthed junkies in Nigeria will attempted to turn a Satan into an Angel.
Re: 25 Years After Awo’s Death: How He Predicted Events Of Today Half A Century Ago by gogo2003: 8:10pm On May 08, 2012
It is Awo's politics that that got Nigeria to this sorry state

(1) (Reply)

Patience Jonathan Finally Speaks On Dana Crash / Maimuna, Her Husband, 4 Kids,sister, 2 Cousins, Mother-in-law Died In Dana Crash / Nsa Azazi,minister Of Defence And Chief Of Defence Staff Sacked!jona Don Vex Oh!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 47
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.