Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,847 members, 7,810,263 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 03:27 AM

Doctors' Strike In Lagos State: Chronicle Of Events - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Doctors' Strike In Lagos State: Chronicle Of Events (1502 Views)

Chronicle Of APC Positions On Boko Haram Fight April 2013-date / JUSUN Suspends Strike In Lagos / JUSUN Suspends Strike In Federal Courts (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Doctors' Strike In Lagos State: Chronicle Of Events by Nobody: 8:31am On May 09, 2012
The beginning: September 29, 2009. Circular on CONMESS is released by Federal Govt (downloadable at nsiwc.gov.ng/Policy_docs.php)

Sep 2009 - Aug 2010: Medical Guild advocates for implementation of CONMESS in Lagos State.

Aug to Nov 2010. Strike 1: Medical Guild embarks on strike over non-implementation of CONMESS after 1 year.

Aug 2010: National Industrial Court declares Medical Guild strike legal.

Nov 2010. Lagos State Govt signs agreement to implement CONMESS from January 2011. Strike suspended.

Feb to Mar 2011. Medical Guild resumes strike on account of non-implementation of CONMESS by Jan 2011 as agreed.

Mar 2011. Cost implication of full CONMESS calculated by Medical Guild & govt agencies & approved for implementation by Gov Fashola.

Mar 2011. Another agreement to implement CONMESS in full signed by Commissioner for Health, Chairman of ACN Lagos & Asiwaju Bola Tinubu.

Mar 2011. Guild suspends 2nd strike to allow for implementation of agreement on CONMESS by govt.

Mar-Dec 2011. CONMESS yet to be implemented. Medical Guild writes, presents documents & meets severally with govt to express displeasure

Dec 2011. His Excellency Gov Raji Fashola meets with Guild & insists that he has already approved full implementation of CONMESS.

Dec 2011. His Excellency Gov Raji Fashola refers the issue to Head of Service to resolve with the Medical Guild.

Dec 2011. Head of Service asks Medical Guild to request formally for meeting to resolve CONMESS issues. Guild writes accordingly.

Dec 2011-Apr 2012. Head of Service yet to convene meeting with Medical Guild to resolve CONMESS issues.

3 Apr 2012. Guild congress declares warning strike 11-13 Apr to press for CONMESS implementation & raise public awareness on the issues.

4 Apr 2012. Following strike notice, Commissioner for Health convenes emergency meeting on CONMESS. Outstanding issues remain unresolved.

11-13 Apr 2012
Medical Guild embarks on 3-day warning strike.

16 & 18 Apr 2012. Two separate queries issued to all Lagos State doctors over participation in warning strike of previous week.

18 Apr 2012. Medical Guild writes govt in response to queries: maintains that strike is legal & requests withdrawal of queries.

23 Apr 2012. Govt invites doctors to disciplinary panels at Health Service Commission & at LASUTH; threatens to sack doctors.

24 Apr 2012. Guild convene at HSC for congress, only to meet govt-deployed armed mobile policemen & armoured tanks.

24 Apr 2012. Guild congress declares indefinite strike on account of intimidation & threats by Govt & security personnel.

25 Apr 2012. NMA throws full weight behind Guild strike; threatens to join if any doctor is sacked by Lagos State govt.

29 Apr 2012. Guild insists on minimum conditions for suspending strike: 1) timeline for implementing full CONMESS
(2) unconditional withdrawal of queries, disciplinary panels, sack threats & security personnel from hospitals.

7 May 2012. Lagos State Govt writes dismissal letters to 788 doctors & employs 373 new doctors.
NSIWC Policy Documents
nsiwc.gov.ng
Re: Doctors' Strike In Lagos State: Chronicle Of Events by muyik78(m): 8:53am On May 09, 2012
I think this guys are over pushing the issue , u just need to be a victim to actually realise how many life have been lost so far,i have an in-law that says he fell like joining boko haram because of this Docs to avenge death of his pregnant wife. they all ahave private hospital that they direct pple to evev b4 the strike, they work less that 4 hrs in a day. when u try to ask why all this in public service u will not be attended to or giving u what will affect u negatively.My friend wated for more than three hours only for Doc to come and started attending to pple wt note ,calling name after receiving call one after the other, when this guy complained he was abandone wt her pregnant wive, after wasting their time for long the Doc recommend a drug that will affect her pregnant, when the pharmacist see the prescription he requested for the Doc that prescribe such drug. i can go on and on, No one is well pay enof I am not well paid yet I still work, we treat them well because our life are partly in their hand , they are over doing it,FG govt have not fully implement all their promises. let me just rest my case.

(1) (Reply)

Jonathan Considers Backing Out On 2015, May Support Atiku Or Tambuwal / Apo, Abuja, (nigeria) Indiscriminate Killing: Part 2, Scene 2? / SHOCKING REVELATIONS: Gov Aliyu Talks About His Mother's Spiritual Powers - Say

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 15
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.