Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,855 members, 7,813,912 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 April 2024 at 09:27 PM

Have You Given Up On Nigeria? - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Have You Given Up On Nigeria? (6076 Views)

Poll: Have You given Up On Nigeria?

Yes: 60% (93 votes)
No: 40% (62 votes)
This poll has ended

I Have Given Up On Nigeria / No Reliable Statistics On Nigeria's Poverty Rate- World Bank / Hon. Patrick Obahiagbon Speech On Nigeria’s Independence (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Have You Given Up On Nigeria? by Litmus: 5:18pm On May 10, 2012
Out of the 24 votes for "yes" how many do you guys truly believe were Nigerians ?

Nigeria is black Africa's last hope.If foreigners weren't working hard behind the scenes, to makes sure Nigeria fails, Nigeria will become the first industrialized black nation.
Re: Have You Given Up On Nigeria? by slimchimex(m): 5:21pm On May 10, 2012
Olodostein: Almost, unless something unprecedented in the history of mankind happens. My hope lies across the Niger.
true talk bro...i dey ur back...
Re: Have You Given Up On Nigeria? by slimchimex(m): 5:24pm On May 10, 2012
naija go beta n d whole world go beta....d only ans is God's Kingdom.Is coming soon...
Re: Have You Given Up On Nigeria? by IYANGBALI: 5:30pm On May 10, 2012
tey tey,even before i was born. I HATE THIS COUNTRY CALLED NIGERIA.
Re: Have You Given Up On Nigeria? by Nobody: 5:30pm On May 10, 2012
Okija_juju: I have so much faith in the entity called Nigeria that we would wether this storm and more and grow into the most complex society in existence.

Mark my word, Nigeria will be a great Nation... I just pray I get to see it before I die.

My grandfather felt the same way 30 years ago. Keep on dreaming, if only wishes were horses, beggars would ride. I admire your positive outlook though, but its like not studying for an exam and hoping to pass! Corruption is a culture and has become the norm in Nigeria, not only in government, but amongst the people (Which is arguably a direct result or reaction to the earlier).
But keep up the faith, it never hurts.
Re: Have You Given Up On Nigeria? by MahatmaGhandi: 5:38pm On May 10, 2012
No messiah in the current political space right now as if that is not enough the future is being robbed of its potential gandys,martin luther king jrs and the mandelas by death in bad roads,ritual plane crashes,blood money,poisoned water,ill health,boko haram,armed robbery,poor or in some cases no education at all,I tell you the nigerian has an uphill task ahead of him because his father for lack of foresight has almost eroded every trace of a good future.To answer your question one wld say if there is life there hope if there still remains a nigeria tomorrow then anything can happen,the odds are great and does not favour nigeria,my answer is an unreasonable Yes,why I say yes I cannot explain
Re: Have You Given Up On Nigeria? by toideve(m): 5:51pm On May 10, 2012
I have never experience good governance for once....I don't know how it tastes/feels. I am used to "from bad to worse" leadership. Nigeria is messed up!
Re: Have You Given Up On Nigeria? by ojubi(m): 5:54pm On May 10, 2012
I completely lost hope in Nigeria during d late president sickness and death issue/ the doctrine of neccessity.
During d last campaign Goodluck sounded like hope. Then i started beliving in Nigeria again and voted the dull man. But since he became president and returned to bussines as ussual or even worse with curruption and total lost of dignity to human life as evidence by bokoharam dayligth killings.

To be frank there is no hope for Nigeria, i dont belive in d country and we dont ve leaders.
Re: Have You Given Up On Nigeria? by amosy007: 6:00pm On May 10, 2012
Kockane: There are two solutions to the nigerian mess: either a disintegration of the whole geographical conjecture into smaller individual units OR a return to regional system of government where each region is a confederate member of a central government located in abuja. Besides these two alternatives, I see no progress for nigeria.
gbam.. Well said
Re: Have You Given Up On Nigeria? by Nobody: 6:01pm On May 10, 2012
angry..i gave up hope on naija ryt from womb...am proud to b a nigerian but if i had the opportunity,neither me nor my loved ones/family wil b living in dis cesspit called nigeria...naija needs total refurbishing cos the way am seeing things,we r heading for doom.if ibori could get dat holiday in d name of SERVING TIME in prison while a common armed robber gets killed instantly,den trust me when i say hope shud b the last tthing in a nigerian's dictionary.its a pity but the truth
Re: Have You Given Up On Nigeria? by amosy007: 6:02pm On May 10, 2012
poster

u suppose to put "indifferent" in that poll for people like me who doesnt give a ratass abt the two
Re: Have You Given Up On Nigeria? by ScorchedViper(m): 6:03pm On May 10, 2012
i've lost hope in Nigeria....and more importantly, i've lost hope in NIGERIANS.....
Re: Have You Given Up On Nigeria? by LogicMind: 6:06pm On May 10, 2012
amosy007: poster

u suppose to put "indifferent" in that poll for people like me who doesnt give a ratass abt the two

why don't you go somewhere else as this is for people who care either way.
Re: Have You Given Up On Nigeria? by supremebeing09: 6:13pm On May 10, 2012
I have not lost faith in Nigeria. Rather, I have lost faith in its leaders and policy makers. Until these individuals are no more, I do not see any rehabilitative measures that could possibly restore an atom of faith in Nigeria and its citizens.
I suppose the question should be, "Have you given up on Nigerian policy makers and politicians/rulers?". My answer to that would be a fat YES.
But as for giving up on Nigeria, I haven't personally given up on Naija because I believe that, irrespective of our history of corruption, mismanagement and lack of integrity, if Nigeria is ruled by competent individuals with sound academic and practical understanding of governance, international affairs/relations, diplomacy, ethics, sustainability and society, there should be reasons to believe Nigeria will be one of the admirable countries in the world.

Until then, I continue to hope that change will come to Nigeria. Momentarily, I have not given up on Nigeria. However, if events continue to unfold as they have been lately, I may just give you a different answer...
Re: Have You Given Up On Nigeria? by niddamugu(m): 6:18pm On May 10, 2012
Okija_juju: I have so much faith in the entity called Nigeria that we would wether this storm and more and grow into the most complex society in existence.

Mark my word, Nigeria will be a great Nation... I just pray I get to see it before I die.

I have followed your contributions on NL and for this comment alone - you have given hope to any hopeless Nigerian!

Nigeria is really going through a reformative process. Let's forget about the looting in "high places", those who indulge in it lack the genuine wisdom of God. I believe the time is coming when anyone aspiring to be in power would rather want to earn a good name than steal from the treasury. Read Prov. 22v1 & Eccl. 7v1-end.
Re: Have You Given Up On Nigeria? by sonyjacobs(m): 6:25pm On May 10, 2012
where there is life there is hope
Re: Have You Given Up On Nigeria? by gentlegg(m): 6:29pm On May 10, 2012
Let's forget patriotism and sentiments, the bitter truth is THERE IS NO HOPE FOR THIS "ONE NIGERIA". As far as we remain one, there is no hope. Imagine a goat, sheep and an antelope tied together to share a unique hope and ambition, is it possible?
Re: Have You Given Up On Nigeria? by obelisk(m): 6:39pm On May 10, 2012
its all futile lets cut our losses and skip the imploding quasi republic
Re: Have You Given Up On Nigeria? by playmode(m): 6:40pm On May 10, 2012
"NIGERIA"...Hmmmm...why does the word sound familiar? Oh now i remember ,it is the name of the shit hole country i was born in but want absolutely nothing to do with!
Re: Have You Given Up On Nigeria? by CuteTj(m): 6:43pm On May 10, 2012
I believe Nigeria will reach the height of countries like America and Europe e.t.c where everything works but i fear that i may not witness it with the way things are going. Corruption has brought this country to its knees and now it seems corruption has come to stay in almost all hearts. Years of suffering has made majority of Nigerians to be criminally minded. If we can change our mindsets and see everyone to be one, irrespective of tribe and religion, then there is hope but if we can't then Nigeria may never rise up.
Re: Have You Given Up On Nigeria? by AnswerKnapp: 6:47pm On May 10, 2012
[size=40pt]YES[/size]
Re: Have You Given Up On Nigeria? by adelegan1: 7:02pm On May 10, 2012
Re: Have You Given Up On Nigeria? by ibrash600: 7:04pm On May 10, 2012
hope 4 whr, dis con3 wei corrupt leader full am na hin u dy hope 4.....hope ko ogogo ni.....I only hope my life go best coz e don better b4
Re: Have You Given Up On Nigeria? by paleo(m): 7:34pm On May 10, 2012
Truth b Told,there is No Atom of Hope left 4 dis Country..I Remember My Grand Dad 1ce Cried 2 Me Sayin "e go better"..Soon I Realised He Was Referin 2 Our Family Not Nigeria As a Whole..Yes,Hope Grew a Lil bit wit d Comin of Goodluck but unfortunately,d FRESH AIR is so much 4 us 2 inhale.Nigerians are all Choking.Guess BAD AIR will just do fine...1 tin i know 4 sure,Hope only lies in d hands of d Military in d Lyks of Idiagbon and not dis our leaders.opps sorry, rulers, we call politicians...True Democracy is Not Practical in Naija @ all.
Re: Have You Given Up On Nigeria? by TheArbiter: 7:35pm On May 10, 2012
How many realize that the basic ingredients, historically required, for national development are iron, chemicals, power and manpower. Does anybody notice that Nigeria had not been able to make any headway in any of this areas since independence. It has been posited that Luguard was berated for creating Nigeria, a unique country with all the resources required for industrial and technological development within a contiguous boundary.

I certainly agree the current crop of leadership will never take us to the promised land. It is my belief that the future direction of the country rests with the actions or inactions of Nigerian youths (not the internet bums spewing doom at every chance) within the next 3 years .

I certainly do pray i see the greatness of the country in my lifetime. No better legacy to bequeath to my progeny and i'm doing all i can to make it realizable

Its a big [size=16pt]YES[/size] for me. I believe.
Re: Have You Given Up On Nigeria? by Ilaje44(m): 7:44pm On May 10, 2012
I lost all hope that that country will see good leadership soon. For Nigeria to progress, it has to be drastically devolved into regions to reflect the ethnic development inclinations.
Re: Have You Given Up On Nigeria? by Niseamaka(m): 8:02pm On May 10, 2012
Litmus: http://www.sys-con.com/node/2274733

Nigeria has overtaken South Africa to become the continent's largest mobile market with now over 90 million subscribers, and yet market penetration stands at only around 60% in early 2012. Subscriber growth had slowed significantly during the global economic crisis, re-accelerated in 2010 but then slowed again in 2011. Much of the remaining addressable market is in the country's rural areas where network rollouts and operations are expensive. This in combination with declining ARPU levels is forcing the networks to streamline their operations and to develop new revenue streams from services such as third generation (3G) mobile broadband, mobile payments/banking, and others. At the same time the operators are rolling out national fibre backbone networks to support the ever increasing demand for bandwidth. At least two operators are rolling out fourth generation (4G) LTE networks.

How difficult it is to succeed in Nigeria's highly competitive mobile market became evident with the spectacular failure of Multi-Links in 2011 in which seasoned heavyweight Telkom South Africa lost almost its entire investment.

This report contains a market overview and analysis, key statistics, regulatory issues, profiles of major players, including financial results where available, and two scenario forecasts for the mobile market in 2013 and 2016.

That Nigeria is the most populous nation in Africa and hence have more mobile networks subscribers than South Africa does not translate into hope.The welfare of the citizenry as well as their safety and security are the ingredients that translates into hope.Even in the communications sector you refered to, the quality of the service is what counts,not the number of people using the service and in Nigeria the quality is epileptic. people are losing hope in the entity called Nigeria because of constant lack of electricity,no portable drinking water(the rate of people that have perished for water-borne diseases are alarming),the death traps we call roads,archaic healthcare delivery system(people die for preventable and treatable illnesses)and the king of them all: insecurity of lives and properties.People are hopeful just because whatever harsh situation anyone is undergiong in life there is no other option apart from clinging on to hope.The hope for a better future is what keeps us on the move.I have no option other than to join the bandwagon of the hopefuls but certainly that hope will not blossom into positive change in my lifetime and maybe in the lifetime of every living Nigerian today,judging with the mess we are witnessing at the moment.
Re: Have You Given Up On Nigeria? by adewaleafolabi(m): 8:06pm On May 10, 2012
99% of the time i think about this country it just looks like a lost cause. But who knows there might just be a 1% chance of getting things right in this country. But with this set of leaders, that 1% is so so so bleak.
Re: Have You Given Up On Nigeria? by phreakabit(m): 8:17pm On May 10, 2012
Tey Tey. . . Like one and a half decades ago.It doesn't require a genius to tell that Nigeria is a failed state. However, only one with immense wisdom, would see that there is in fact absolutely no future for this Great caricature of a nation. The culprit, you ask? Corruption!!!
Re: Have You Given Up On Nigeria? by Nobody: 8:33pm On May 10, 2012
There is nothing to hope for in this entity called Nigeria, it has always failed right from the start and is it now that it will work?.

Mehn my Hope is in God and I have no Hope In Nigeria Period.
Re: Have You Given Up On Nigeria? by lastcenter: 8:53pm On May 10, 2012
Now why where we (dancing to wizkid - azonto[marching dance with mbgn]) saluting + marching toward the flag with a rod in our hands?
Re: Have You Given Up On Nigeria? by StellaBella(f): 8:56pm On May 10, 2012
I will never ever lose hope in my beautiful country.
I love Nigeria.
Everyone talks about politicians
what about
Church Bishops buying private jets and building schools while members cannot afford a room.
School lecturers tryimg to sleep with students for grades
Police collecting bribe and escaping into the nearest bush when robbers raid.
Young unemployed kidnapping, raping or robbing the innocents instead of farming or trading
Traders selling expired provisions for profits
Bini girls selling thier body in europe instead of getting educated
petrol stations selling kerosine for fuel
The list goes on and on
Until every Nigerian start doing the right things
Our leaders will always and forever misbehave.
I still believe in a better Nigeria.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Aregbesola - Governors Not Chief Security Officers / Tribunal: PDP Withdraws Election Petition Against Sokoto Speaker / Lies Of The "Rescued" Redeemed Pastor

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 52
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.