Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,527 members, 7,816,285 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 08:49 AM

Be In The World But Not Of The World. - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Be In The World But Not Of The World. (1786 Views)

Bill Gate Inherit The Whole World, But........... / What Will It Profit A Man, If He Gains The Whole World, But Loses His Soul? / Gaining The World, But Losing Your Soul? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Be In The World But Not Of The World. by naslinks(m): 9:20am On May 12, 2012
THEME:BE IN THE WORLD BUT NOT OF THE WORLD.
MEDITATION OF THE DAY( Scripture: John 15: 18-21)

The world is not necessarily our friend. In John’s Gospel, the “world” refers to the powers that do not accept the Gospel during the time of Jesus. This same “world” exists today. If we are not careful, we will see the Gospel erode before our eyes until we can no longer distinguish it from the comfort seeking, self-focused world in which we live. We must fight  against this trend whatever the cost may be.

What does Jesus mean when he says "you are not of this world"? The world in scripture refers to that society of people who are hostile towards God and opposed to his will. The world rejected Jesus, and his disciples can expect the same treatment. Jesus leaves no middle ground for his followers. We are either for him or against him, for his kingdom of light or for the kingdom of darkness. The prophet Isaiah warned that people who separate themselves from God because of their rebellion and spiritual blindness would end up calling evil good and good evil (Isaiah 5:20).
A Christian remains a sign of contradiction to the world, like Jesus, His master.  Jesus made it clear that our thinking, as St Paul said in his letter to Romans, must not conform to the values of the world.  The truth, as Jesus taught, is that we “do not belong to the world, because my choice withdrew you from the world.” The world, in the context of John and Paul, does not refer to a disdain of what is earthly.  It is the worldly attitudes toward life based on selfishness, individualism and greed that are condemned.  When a person is a slave to the pursuits of pleasure, success, glory and power, disregarding the human values of love, compassion and the virtues, his life is considered worldly.  A Christian’s mind and thinking must always conform to the values of the gospel.

If we want to live in the light of God's truth, how can we rightly distinguish good from evil? True love of God and his ways draw us to all that is lovely, truthful and good. If we truly love God then we will submit to his truth and will for our lives. A friend of God cannot expect to be a friend of the world because the world opposes God. Jesus' demand is unequivocal and without compromise. Do not love the world or the things in the world. If any one loves the world, love for the Father is not in him (1 John 2:15). We must make a choice either for or against God. Do you seek to please God in all your thoughts, actions, and relationships? Let the Holy Spirit fill your heart with the love of God (Romans 5:5).

"Lord Jesus, may the fire of your love fill my heart with an eagerness to please you in all things. May there be no rivals to my love and devotion to you who are my all."
Re: Be In The World But Not Of The World. by rastamouse: 10:42am On May 12, 2012
How true...We are supposed to be the salt that influences the world. As Christians, our lives should be the light to this dark world. I guess we will all give account on how well we did those things when we meet our MAKER on the final day. GOD bless us all!
Re: Be In The World But Not Of The World. by ijawkid(m): 10:48am On May 12, 2012
So based on Jesus principles can and should christians engage in d worlds politics
Re: Be In The World But Not Of The World. by jmoore(m): 10:56am On May 12, 2012
ijawkid: So based on Jesus principles can and should Christians engage in d worlds politics

what's wrong with politics? we are talking about lustful and selfish desires of the flesh.

Christians should engage in politics but not "dirty politics"
Re: Be In The World But Not Of The World. by ijawkid(m): 11:08am On May 12, 2012
Which politics is not dirty

Mention just 1....

Is it american,nigerian,chinese..??
Which 1??

Which 1 doesn't reveal d power behind it...SATAN!!!!

When its time to flee from d world u only mention immorality but forsake d worlds political system lying in the hands of satan d devil!!!
Re: Be In The World But Not Of The World. by jmoore(m): 11:28am On May 12, 2012
ijawkid: Which politics is not dirty

Mention just 1....

Is it american,nigerian,chinese..??
Which 1??

Which 1 doesn't reveal d power behind it...SATAN!!!!

When its time to flee from d world u only mention immorality but forsake d worlds political system lying in the hands of satan d devil!!!

People made it dirty.
If christians are not to engage in politics, then christians should not vote and they should not pay taxes too. The bible did not say that Christians should not engage in politics.
Re: Be In The World But Not Of The World. by ckkris: 11:59am On May 12, 2012
If Christians shouldn't be in Politics, then they should not be in banks, schools, or even farms, markets, and please catch your breath for this, Christians should not be in Churches, because, the angels of darkness have transformed themselves into prophets, 2 Corrinthians 11:13, and infiltrated Churches, even as General Overseers, right from Revelation 2 & 3. And they're the ones setting up laws to frustrate any Christian that naively, listen to those who preach what they don't practise. Ijawkid are you Jehovah's Witness, or an Egbesu worshipper. But the church continues to grow and expand. JESUS IS LORD.
Re: Be In The World But Not Of The World. by ijawkid(m): 12:25pm On May 12, 2012
Question for u all...

Did Jesus engage in politics

Did his apostles engage in politics??

Did d early christians engage in politics

Why are u asking me if I'm a witness

Do I have to be 1 to understand d scriptures

More christians will continue to embarass christianity by engaging in politics...

U think u can rule this world which satan is ruling already??

U think 1 of d reasons d holyspirit was sent was for us to be part of the world

Thru out history professed christians engaging in politics has brought nothing else bt shame to d name of christ...

Blood shed,nepotism, etc...just a few to mention..

If christians could heed Jesus. Warning we would have less sins to bear....

We can see how all d christians ruling 9ja has either joined ogboni,killed,stolen public funds etc

Jesus and early christians never engaged in politics and they still remained. Christlike...

U guys no what I mean ur just acting like ur ignorant of d world we live in
Re: Be In The World But Not Of The World. by jmoore(m): 12:42pm On May 12, 2012
@ijawkid, use the bible as a reference and not your own opinion. where did Jesus say that christians should not be in the government? If satan is the government, why did Jesus tell us to pay tax? are we not paying the tax to satan from your own view? Why did Paul tell us to pray for our rulers, is that not praying for satan from your own view? If satan is the government then christians should not be employed by government as civil servants because that implies they are working for the devil.

How many christians do you know to have come to the conclusion that none of the early christians were in the government?

Joseph back in the old testament was a godly man and was in government, he saved Egypt and neighbouring nations from famine.
Re: Be In The World But Not Of The World. by ckkris: 12:56pm On May 12, 2012
Nicodemus was a Senator in the Sanhedrin. In fact they were two. Daniel faced typical political intrigues as a President. Joseph was Prime Minister. Talk about rugged Nehemiah. Bible said THEY WERE EXAMPLES for today. Now what do you know about countless christians in previous generations. If you're Jehovah's Witness, it will be impossible for you to discuss what you don't experience.
Re: Be In The World But Not Of The World. by ijawkid(m): 1:20pm On May 12, 2012
Was daniel a christian??

Was nicodemus a christian

U better read ur bible...

I want u to mention 1 baptized christian in d 1st century who engaged in politics.??

Don't tell me about daniel who was in exile in babylon...

I want u to mention a christian...

Starting from our master Jesus...

I asked about pillars of christianity ur taking me back to nehemiah...

Is nehemiah d founder of christianity or Jesus??

Did Jesus engage or have any business with d political set up of his days??

Answer my questions,.....

I am a bible student........
Re: Be In The World But Not Of The World. by jmoore(m): 1:28pm On May 12, 2012
@ijawkid, Bible student and you are avoiding this post

where in the bible did Jesus say that christians should not be in the government? If satan is the government, why did Jesus tell us to pay tax? are we not paying the tax to satan from your own view? Why did Paul tell us to pray for our rulers, is that not praying for satan from your own view? If satan is the government then christians should not be employed by government as civil servants because that implies they are working for the devil.
Re: Be In The World But Not Of The World. by ckkris: 1:29pm On May 12, 2012
1. Daniel saw Jesus. You don't even seem to desire to.
2. If you say Nicodemus is not Christian,
then you're one of those that assume that Christianity is an organisation, it isn't.
Re: Be In The World But Not Of The World. by ijawkid(m): 1:39pm On May 12, 2012
U guys haven't still answered d question I've been asking??

Did Jesus do politics?

How did he react when d opportunity came for him to run into politics

Whatever happened to us following Jesus's footsteps closely??

Obama has disgraced christians by accepting gay marraige and endorsing it...

More is coming!!!

How can u engage in d politics of this world and not ally with satan?

Ur all acting ignorant...

These political set up's are 1 of d major things Jesus himself will destroy when he comes back...

Be no part of d world!!!!

Heed d command and stop giving lame excuses just to be part of the world.....
Re: Be In The World But Not Of The World. by jmoore(m): 2:44pm On May 12, 2012
Did Jesus ask us to go to hospitals?

keep avoiding questions

public schools setup by the government therefore christians should not go to government owned schools because satan is controlling the government?
Re: Be In The World But Not Of The World. by ijawkid(m): 6:28pm On May 12, 2012
jmoore: Did Jesus ask us to go to hospitals?

keep avoiding questions

public schools setup by the government therefore christians should not go to government owned schools because satan is controlling the government?

Jesus drew d line my bro when it came to d worlds politics we all know that...

Jesus paid taxes that we know and true christians imitate that by paying back ceasers things to ceaser....

Jesus was partiÇularly neutral to worlds rulership...
U can't hide from that fact...

D apostles went to court,which was owned by d government but they also drew d line when it came to involvement in politics...

Neutrality to world rulership is one thing Jesus by his actions taught his followers...

Like I said earlier we've seen what d worlds politics has done to good christians...

It always changes them from been good christians to agents of satan...

Our country is an example....

Tribalism,nationalism,egotism.wars,assasinations, etc...

Those are d products of human rulership and when christians since d time of the papacy(because ofcus 1st century christians were no part of d world) got involved in d worlds politics spiritual chaos was d outcome...
Re: Be In The World But Not Of The World. by Enigma(m): 12:07am On May 13, 2012
@ijawkid

I understand your line of thought but can I suggest you read about William Wilberforce? Starting e.g. from http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/William_Wilberforce

cool
Re: Be In The World But Not Of The World. by buzugee(m): 2:55am On May 13, 2012
jmoore:

what's wrong with politics? we are talking about lustful and selfish desires of the flesh.

Ijawkid is right. you are not to engage in politricks if you are truly off the lord. here is a scripture for that PSALMS 94 VS 20[b] Shall the throne of iniquity have fellowship with you, which frames mischief by a law?[/b] I HOPE YOU CAN DECIPHER THAT.
Re: Be In The World But Not Of The World. by buzugee(m): 3:01am On May 13, 2012
ckkris: If Christians shouldn't be in Politics, then they should not be in banks, schools, or even farms, markets, and please catch your breath for this, Christians should not be in Churches, because, the angels of darkness have transformed themselves into prophets, 2 Corrinthians 11:13, and infiltrated Churches, even as General Overseers, right from Revelation 2 & 3. And they're the ones setting up laws to frustrate any Christian that naively, listen to those who preach what they don't practise. Ijawkid are you Jehovah's Witness, or an Egbesu worshipper. But the church continues to grow and expand. JESUS IS LORD.
YOU ARE RIGHT. real followers of the lord should not be in churches ACTS 17 VS 24 The God who made the world and everything in it is the Lord of heaven and earth and does not live in temples built by human hands. the church is in you.
Re: Be In The World But Not Of The World. by buzugee(m): 3:03am On May 13, 2012
jmoore: @ijawkid, use the bible as a reference and not your own opinion. where did Jesus say that christians should not be in the government? If satan is the government, why did Jesus tell us to pay tax? are we not paying the tax to satan from your own view? Why did Paul tell us to pray for our rulers, is that not praying for satan from your own view? If satan is the government then christians should not be employed by government as civil servants because that implies they are working for the devil.

How many christians do you know to have come to the conclusion that none of the early christians were in the government?

Joseph back in the old testament was a godly man and was in government, he saved Egypt and neighbouring nations from famine.
MARK 12 VS 17 Then Jesus said to them, "Give to Caesar what is Caesar's and to God what is God's." And they were amazed at him.
Re: Be In The World But Not Of The World. by buzugee(m): 3:07am On May 13, 2012
jmoore: Did Jesus ask us to go to hospitals?

keep avoiding questions

ECCLESIASTICUS 38 VS 1 Honour a physician with the honour due unto him for the uses which ye may have of him: for the Lord hath created him.
Re: Be In The World But Not Of The World. by buzugee(m): 3:10am On May 13, 2012
FINAL NAIL ON THE 'CAN PEOPLE IN THE LORD PARTAKE IN WORLD POLITRICKS' JOB 14 VS 4 Who can bring a clean thing out of an unclean? not one. can anything good come out of politricks ? a dirty game ?
Re: Be In The World But Not Of The World. by ckkris: 8:21am On May 13, 2012
ijawkid
Jesus instructed us to OCCUPY TILL HE COMES. Please, I beg you, kindly list out where YOU THINK its Scripturally safe to occupy. Enjoy your Sunday Services.
Re: Be In The World But Not Of The World. by ijawkid(m): 8:30am On May 13, 2012
ckkris: ijawkid
Jesus instructed us to OCCUPY TILL HE COMES. Please, I beg you, kindly list out where YOU THINK its Scripturally safe to occupy. Enjoy your Sunday Services.

How did d early christians occupy that is what u shuld be asking urself...

We are not d 1st set of christians that ever existed...

We have a blue print,we have ancestors,we have men who are part of d foundation of christianity(the apostles),then we have our master Jesus who by his actions showed us how we should follow him....

How did Jesus occupy d territory he resided??
He preached continously till his earthly life came to an end....

How did d early christians occupy d earth back then??

They preached tirelessly both in judea,samaria and to the most distant part of d earth....

How should we occupy today just as our leader and ancestors did in imitation of them?

I guess u can give me d answer....

If christians belive that an end to this wicked system is fast approaching and then we want to go to heaven quikly as we yearn for(I don't know if some realy want this world to end because of there materialistik life style,and there zeal to be famous and powerful) then you should knw what we shuld be using this injury time for...

Preach!preach!!preach!!!!!! Till d end comes...

Satan rules d world!!!!!

Engaging in politics as christians will only squeeze us into satans mould more than ever before...
We can't change the political system,its already in d hands of some1 wicked...
What we can change are individuals who realy wanna serve God b4 d final trumpet blows...

We are not stronger than Jesus who shunned politics and stuck to his fathers work to preach...

We have d same assignment Jesus had when he came to d earth....
Re: Be In The World But Not Of The World. by ckkris: 8:32am On May 13, 2012
Enigma
Thanks for the link on William Wilberforce. There are many more, even in this generation, in every area of endeavours.
Re: Be In The World But Not Of The World. by Jenwitemi(m): 8:38am On May 13, 2012
So, world politics is not of the world? Did Jesus tell you that you can pick and choose what can be termed as "of the world"? Hypocrisy all over again.
jmoore:

Re: Be In The World But Not Of The World. by Jenwitemi(m): 8:41am On May 13, 2012
Yeah, but the christian religion has been embroiled and smack right in the center of world politics since the days of emperor Constantine. That is a bleeping long time to be of the world, mate. Goes to show that christianity is not of Jesus. Christianity as a religion, has never really listened to it's own deity.
buzugee: Ijawkid is right. you are not to engage in politricks if you are truly off the lord. here is a scripture for that PSALMS 94 VS 20[b] Shall the throne of iniquity have fellowship with you, which frames mischief by a law?[/b] I HOPE YOU CAN DECIPHER THAT.
Re: Be In The World But Not Of The World. by Jenwitemi(m): 8:45am On May 13, 2012
A question for all; If and when Jesus returns - as you guys are expecting - wouldn't he be embroiled in world politics? After all, he is coming to rule the world, right? Ruling the world is politics, isn't it? Or maybe he is coming on a visit only?
Re: Be In The World But Not Of The World. by ckkris: 8:55am On May 13, 2012
Ijawkid
I know how Christians have always occuied.They use the TALENTS given to them. Paul converted Gov Sergius Paulos, but didnt command him to quit being governor. Jesus had earlier converted am army major, a man of great faith, but didnt command him to quit soldiering. Are all apostle? Are all prophets? Why are you so interested in controlling people's lives. Where the Spirit of the Lord is, there is Liberty! Your work is to bring mankind to Christ, then He begins to rule and direct their lives.
Re: Be In The World But Not Of The World. by ckkris: 9:29am On May 13, 2012
Jenwitemi
From the quality of your writing skills, its easy to conclude that you're quite capable ofrecognising Christians, when you see them.
Re: Be In The World But Not Of The World. by ckkris: 10:22am On May 13, 2012
Ijawkid
Light of the world, and salt of the earth. Please I ask again, where is this supposed to manifest? Within secure sinless enclaves (in this world?), or, in places where forces of darkness hold mankind in bondage. Remember that even in Revelation 2&3 satanists had started infiltrating the churches. Are you undermining the power of this GOSPEL?
Re: Be In The World But Not Of The World. by ckkris: 10:39am On May 13, 2012
I'm posting from inside a church meeting in Nigeria, and I'm enjoying everything. There're things I don't like, but must I like them, who do I think I am anyway, this gathering is not unto me. If the Lord Owner of this gathering is satisfied, as He usually is, my own is to enjoy His presence, in Jesus Name, Amen.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Rev. King Sentenced To Death By Hanging / Jesus Is Coming Very Soon / 10 Interesting Cases Of Supposed Reincarnation

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 65
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.