Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,334 members, 7,819,165 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 12:10 PM

Professor With 30 Degrees Wants 1 More - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Professor With 30 Degrees Wants 1 More (3307 Views)

Saraki’s CCT Trial Adjourned Till 18 March As He Storms Court With 30 Senators / Presidency Orders Sack Of Civil Servants With 30 Years In Service And Above / Professor With Fake Paper In UNN (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Professor With 30 Degrees Wants 1 More by Nobody: 6:23pm On May 12, 2012
[size=20pt]22 Masters degrees, 5 PhDs, 3 D.Lits, professor learns on
[/size]

http://www.sify.com/news/22-MA-degrees-5-PhDs-3-D-Lits-professor-learns-on-news-National-jm1mudaefid.html

Meet R.K. Rai, a scholar extraordinaire. Over the years he has acquired MA degrees in 22 subjects, five PhDs and three D.Lits. But at the age of 65, he wants more.

Rai is a retired professor and resident of Uttar Pradesh's Ghazipur district, some 280 km from Lucknow.

'I firmly believe learning is a life-long process. Just following this principle, I acquired all my degrees and want to continue studies so long as I am alive,' Rai told IANS on phone from Ghazipur.

'I believe I haven't done anything extraordinary...Anyone having the urge for learning can do it,' he added.

It seems Rai's urge for learning new subjects is unending as the retired professor from Magadh University in Gaya, Bihar, has now enrolled for another masters programme that will give him his 23rd MA degree.

'I am at present pursuing MA in astrology from a renowned and one of the most ancient universities of the world, Sampurnanand Sanskrit Vishwavidyalaya, Varanasi,' said Rai, who lives in the Mohamdabad area in Ghazipur.

Rai completed his graduation in 1967 from Allahabad University.

He has acquired most of his additional degrees by appearing as a private candidate in several universities, including Panjab University, Chandigarh; Veer Kunwar Singh University, Ara, Bihar; Patna University; and Kanpur University.

Some of the subjects in which Rai acquired MAs include ancient history, modern history, sociology, political science, economics, education, Hindi, Sanskrit, geography and psychology.

Rai's PhDs are in education, ancient history, philosophy, Hindi and commerce, while he possesses D.Lit in three languages - Hindi, Sanskrit and Prakrit.

In a majority of his subjects Rai has scored a first division or a good second division (55-59 percent). For this Rai gives credit to his colleagues.

'I remember how my colleagues used to help me out when I had problems in the subjects...It was just like private tuitions...They also used to visit my home a day before the examinations to wish me good luck and give tips for attempting questions in their subjects,' Rai said.

He is also thankful to his family members, who encouraged him to pursue studies.

'All my family members, particularly my wife and daughter, ensured I get enough time to study...For that they even used to do the work that I was supposed to do,' Rai said.

He has now joined a private degree college in the Bulandshahr district, some 400 km from Lucknow.

'Though I have joined the college as a principal, I prefer taking classes to sitting inside my cabin and looking after the administrative work of the college,' said Rai, who is principal of the Kaka P.G. Girls' College.

In Bulandshahr district and his home district Ghazipur, Rai is famous as 'mastersaab'.

'Most of us in the locality send our children to Raiji's home when he comes here on leave. During that period, Raiji's residence appears to be a coaching institute,' said Sandeep Tayal, a resident of Mohamdabad.

Another resident Bhagunath Yadav said: 'The best thing about Raiji is that he never gets frustrated when students fail to understand a topic explained by him. My son, who is pursuing MA in Sanskrit, told me of how Raiji explained a topic to him for nearly two hours.'

(Asit Srivastava can be contacted at asit.s@ians.in)
Re: Professor With 30 Degrees Wants 1 More by BlackPikiN(m): 6:33pm On May 12, 2012
E be like say na this guy dey mentor Ndubuisi Ekekwe. lol

Make too much book no go allow his head begin bring out smoke one day. lol
Re: Professor With 30 Degrees Wants 1 More by lifestyle1(m): 6:52pm On May 12, 2012
This is a challenge to me!
Re: Professor With 30 Degrees Wants 1 More by Nobody: 6:57pm On May 12, 2012
He should look for something more challenging to do. Acquiring degrees is now a lifestyle.
Re: Professor With 30 Degrees Wants 1 More by Afam4eva(m): 7:04pm On May 12, 2012
What is this guy trying to prove? Mumu.
Re: Professor With 30 Degrees Wants 1 More by Nobody: 7:06pm On May 12, 2012
^^^LOL
Re: Professor With 30 Degrees Wants 1 More by lifestyle1(m): 7:32pm On May 12, 2012
blink182: He should look for something more challenging to do. Acquiring degrees is now a lifestyle.

what could be more challenging to him after 30 degrees ?
Re: Professor With 30 Degrees Wants 1 More by dasparrow: 7:53pm On May 12, 2012
life_style:

Precisely!

@Post
Although I think 30 degrees is a little too much but if I had the money, I will want to go to school some more. I love learning and there are certain subject areas that interest me alot. Anyways, we'll see.
Re: Professor With 30 Degrees Wants 1 More by saintneo(m): 7:54pm On May 12, 2012
physics
Re: Professor With 30 Degrees Wants 1 More by Nobody: 7:58pm On May 12, 2012
afam4eva: What is this guy trying to prove? Mumu.

Why are you always bitter about peoples' achievement ? At 65,what else does he need in life ?
Kudos to this man jare cheesy
Re: Professor With 30 Degrees Wants 1 More by ektbear: 8:27pm On May 12, 2012
Strange fellow.
Re: Professor With 30 Degrees Wants 1 More by PhysicsQED(m): 9:00pm On May 12, 2012
What a joke. He should find something productive to do with his last years since he wasted the rest. And astrology ? Any university offering degrees in astrology is a clown college.
Re: Professor With 30 Degrees Wants 1 More by Kobojunkie: 9:14pm On May 12, 2012
WOW . . . . such an accomplishment. The best live lived, in my opinion, is one lived pursuing and making one's dreams come true. If his dream is to acquire as much knowledge as he can, then I celebrate with him and urge him on.
Re: Professor With 30 Degrees Wants 1 More by Nobody: 8:11am On May 13, 2012
Great for him, and I hope he writes books in all his fields, so he will leave something for others and he will not just come to this world learn learn and learn and then die just like that. Just learning and teaching may not be enough for this man.
BTW, he should have taken a little digression into core science, you kno, something like theoretical physics, analytical chemistry, astrophysics or biogenetics!
Re: Professor With 30 Degrees Wants 1 More by Nobody: 8:41am On May 13, 2012
life_style:

IDK but definitely not a degree. He should go mountaineering or skii diving. Now that will be a challenge.
Re: Professor With 30 Degrees Wants 1 More by deandavid(m): 10:14am On May 13, 2012
Kobojunkie: WOW . . . . such an accomplishment. The best live lived, in my opinion, is one lived pursuing and making one's dreams come true. If his dream is to acquire as much knowledge as he can, then I celebrate with him and urge him on.
and to what purpose and aim? Its degrees the passport to hapiness or heaven. I see 30 degrees as too much and waste of time and energy to be used to betta his society. That's what d white man calls jack of all trade a master of none.

1 Like

Re: Professor With 30 Degrees Wants 1 More by jamace(m): 10:51am On May 13, 2012
And of what benefit has the degrees been to people around him, his country and world at large? He should remember Shina Peters Music, "Grammar no be success".

People with one or no certificates are great industrialists, yet with all his degrees forbes does not recognise him. In fact, I'm just hearing of his name for the first time.

Somebody should educate him on life.
Re: Professor With 30 Degrees Wants 1 More by francis247(m): 11:34am On May 13, 2012
FOOLISHNESS at its peak! Quick question. Of what use are the degreeds to anyone or even himself? Is he lecturing or utilising in some other ways half the courses he's studied? When does he plan to make/leave a mark; in his next life? Like someone already said, he is a jack of all trades; master of none. What a wasted years acquiring that which "you will never use"
Re: Professor With 30 Degrees Wants 1 More by Nobody: 12:47pm On May 13, 2012
deandavid: and to what purpose and aim? Its degrees the passport to hapiness or heaven. I see 30 degrees as too much and waste of time and energy to be used to betta his society. That's what d white man calls jack of all trade a master of none.

Do you know how stupi.d you sound by saying the above (highlighted)?
Re: Professor With 30 Degrees Wants 1 More by Ibime(m): 12:53pm On May 13, 2012
Well at least he used his degrees and worked as a professor. What he did in his spare time is no one's business.

It is interesting to note that the great prof could not tackle any Maths or Science degrees.
Re: Professor With 30 Degrees Wants 1 More by Kobojunkie: 12:56pm On May 13, 2012
deandavid: and to what purpose and aim? Its degrees the passport to hapiness or heaven. I see 30 degrees as too much and waste of time and energy to be used to betta his society. That's what d white man calls jack of all trade a master of none.

Na your life? Na your business?

If the man wants to spend his God-given time on this planet amassing knowledge knowledge of all kinds, which one be your own? What does it matter what you think as long as he is satisfied? He is not committing any crime or causing you any physical pain so why are you quick to declare it is a waste of time when the time in question here is HIS and NOT YOURS?
Re: Professor With 30 Degrees Wants 1 More by bknight: 6:35pm On May 13, 2012
At least you have now known him.
What impact? The article says he is of much benefit to people around him. And when on leave his house turns into a learning center. Apparently, his people are proud of him.
Cheng quangchenko (the chinese activist?) fought for rights of his fellow local villagers before the world heard of him.
To me, Prof has conquered his immediate environment, and people in d larger community will hear of his achievements and get inspired, by that, he has just conquered on a worldwide scale.

Empty heads run around downplaying such feat!

But prof should have tested d waters of science
Re: Professor With 30 Degrees Wants 1 More by Waltro(m): 7:09pm On Aug 21, 2012
Olodo, why are you beefing the man? He's obviouly fulfilled with the way he has lived his life and his family has been supportive. Naija bad-belle mentality.
afam4eva: What is this guy trying to prove? Mumu.

(1) (Reply)

Forbes Releases World's Most Powerful List, Puts Putin Ahead Of Obama / The real reason Femi Fani-Kayode left APC - Cramjones / Cct Assets Declaration Saga: How Amaechi Sold Out Saraki - Radio Niger Delta

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 32
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.