Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,648 members, 7,809,448 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 09:48 AM

‘nigeria Ranks Second In The World In Road Accident Fatalities’ - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / ‘nigeria Ranks Second In The World In Road Accident Fatalities’ (11831 Views)

BREAKING NEWS :Gov Amosun's Convoy In Road Crash / Boko-Haram Ranks Second On Global Terror List / Rochas Okorocha Sustains Head Injury In Road Accident (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

‘nigeria Ranks Second In The World In Road Accident Fatalities’ by Ovularia: 2:18am On May 13, 2012
‘Nigeria ranks second in road accident fatalities’
By Augustine Ehikioya, Abuja 2 hours 16 minutes ago
Font size:

Health Minister, Prof. Onyebuchi Chukwu
Nigeria has the second highest road traffic accident fatalities among the 193 countries in the world, Health Minister, Prof. Onyebuchi Chukwu has said.

Chukwu, who spoke through the Director of Special Project in the ministry, Dr. Michael Arene at a press conference to mark the first anniversary of the United Nations (UN) Decade of Action in Abuja, said Nigeria records 162 deaths per 100,000.

The high rate of deaths apart, the minister said the trend was adversely affecting the health system in the country and hampering its attainment of Millennium Development Goals (MDGs) 4 and 5.

But government, according to him, has responded to the trend with many measures including initiation of the integrated National Emergency Ambulances Services.

He said: "Road traffic accidents have led to the death of men, women, boys and girls and even the unborn child, impacts negatively on our ability to achieve the MDGs as most people affected are the youths.

"There is a need to halt this trend in order to achieve the attainment of MDGs 4 and 5 aimed at reducing infant mortality and improving maternal mortality."

Also speaking at the occasion, the National Focal Person for UN Decade of Action in Nigeria, Dr. Sydney Ibeanusi said over 80 percent of injuries in Nigeria are traffic accidents related.

Stressing that road traffic accidents are the third leading cause of deaths in the country, he said that 1.3 million persons are killed and 50 million injured globally every year from road crashes.

The Corps Marshal of the Federal Road Safety Corps (FRSC), Osita Chidoka said that in the bid to create a synergy with Non-Governmental Organizations (NGOs) towards reducing road crashes in Nigeria, the Nigeria Road Safety Partnership (NRSP) was set up involving private sector organizations and NGOs.

http://www.thenationonlineng.net/2011/index.php/news/46419-%E2%80%98nigeria-ranks-second-in-road-accident-fatalities%E2%80%99.html
Re: ‘nigeria Ranks Second In The World In Road Accident Fatalities’ by Ilaje44(m): 9:52am On May 13, 2012
I am not surprised at all. They drive insanely in that country. Absolutely no sense of sanity. Overtaking where one is not to. Overspeeding. Poorly maintained vehicles. Very very bad tyres, lack of formal driver's training. Poor legislation on the use of road, inconsistent and apartheid execution of the poor legislations we have. All these are reasons the death toll is likely to remain very high.

If I were in Govt, apart from improving on infrastructure, I would also improve legislation on road use, and very important, embark on a long term awareness campaign on TV, Radio, print media and the internet. An overwhelming proportion of people possessing a driver's license in Nigera can not drive. Driving is not about moving the vehicle, but also respecting you are not the only one using the road, that you have to respect road use laws etc.

If made the transport minister, I definitely would carry out policies that would visibly reduce road accidents and the unneccessary traffic gridlocks over there.

7 Likes

Re: ‘nigeria Ranks Second In The World In Road Accident Fatalities’ by Clemzy16(m): 12:37pm On May 13, 2012
Can't believe some people can be so jobless. Nigeria ranked second in road accident. Sometimes i wonder if this so-called statistics do their research very well before making a conclusion. Remember. It's not called reckless driving, it's called mad skillz. Lolz

2 Likes

Re: ‘nigeria Ranks Second In The World In Road Accident Fatalities’ by Redhot111(m): 12:44pm On May 13, 2012
I tot naija wld b 1st here
Re: ‘nigeria Ranks Second In The World In Road Accident Fatalities’ by sholay2011(m): 12:46pm On May 13, 2012
Orisiirisii...i hope dose pot-bellied politivians nd corrupt contractors re readin dis o....oh, i forgot...our leaders dnt read papers (dt wil tel dem d plight of d ordinary man)...i pray dey read dia holy book sha to convict dem of innocent lives dt av bin lost due to dia incompetence, lacklustre attitude nd selfish interests.
On a lighter note, at least, Nigeria try, we 'carry' secnd for smth...in d whole world...haba, e no easy...
Re: ‘nigeria Ranks Second In The World In Road Accident Fatalities’ by amosy007: 12:50pm On May 13, 2012
All this stupiid statistics that always put nigeria on every bad list really need to be checked.. Sometimes i wonder who,where and when was d survey carried to put nigeria top of everybad list.. Imagine i read on vanguard dat (1millions nigerians are blind!) not only that. There was even a time they said "nigeria is number one country that have sex(fvcks) alot in the whole world.. How can that be possible when we have america with the biggest p0rn network in the world not forgetin china and india...

I think its high we create a ministry that will into all this ridiculous statistics that sum stupiid people just cook up to give us bad name...

Is nigeria the only country with mad drivers or is nigeria the only country with bad roads?

Thats how they smuggle nigeria name into 2nd world corrupt nation in the world.. When we have d likes of mexico, america, russia etc not making d list

and d funniest part some people will believe those stupid statistics...

I guess next statistics will be nigeria has the highest number of people that shiit or piss daily.. Fooolish people

this is when i miss tony iredia

2 Likes

Re: ‘nigeria Ranks Second In The World In Road Accident Fatalities’ by mkmyers45(m): 12:50pm On May 13, 2012
I'm not surprised at all...
Re: ‘nigeria Ranks Second In The World In Road Accident Fatalities’ by Sagamite(m): 12:53pm On May 13, 2012
Ilaje44: I am not surprised at all. They drive insanely in that country. Absolutely no sense of sanity. Overtaking where one is not to. Overspeeding. Poorly maintained vehicles. Very very bad tyres, lack of formal driver's training. Poor legislation on the use of road, inconsistent and apartheid execution of the poor legislations we have. All these are reasons the death toll is likely to remain very high.

If I were in Govt, apart from improving on infrastructure, I would also improve legislation on road use, and very important, embark on a long term awareness campaign on TV, Radio, print media and the internet. An overwhelming proportion of people possessing a driver's license in Nigera can not drive. Driving is not about moving the vehicle, but also respecting you are not the only one using the road, that you have to respect road use laws etc.

If made the transport minister, I definitely would carry out policies that would visibly reduce road accidents and the unneccessary traffic gridlocks over there.

Well said!

Unfortunately, there are little incentives for these leaders to make road improvements when THEY can avoid it by flying, and even when they have to go on it, they can clear it with sirens.

How can you blame them when some of ther citizens think that is what they deserve and that is how things should work: https://www.nairaland.com/930817/nnpc-spends-1.35bn-annually-36/2#10773745

1 Like

Re: ‘nigeria Ranks Second In The World In Road Accident Fatalities’ by Pennywise(m): 12:59pm On May 13, 2012
I did Lagos-Benin road for the first ever since I started driving sometime last year. And I was amazed at why we do not have more fatalities on that road. At 120km/hr you get the sense that you are having a stroll on the highway. A good number of the vehicles have dubious road worthiness (I am not talking certificate here) but they want to prove to you that they can still out-run you for some uncertain glory.

Even at the best of times, the road is still dangerous. When you factor in the police and the custom with their surprise road blocks then you get a real sense of what I am talking about.

This same scenario is repeated all over the country. With a population of 160million people abandoned by Govt, I am surprised there is any other country with a more depressing statistic.
Re: ‘nigeria Ranks Second In The World In Road Accident Fatalities’ by Nobody: 2:15pm On May 13, 2012
Re: ‘nigeria Ranks Second In The World In Road Accident Fatalities’ by Onyenna(m): 2:18pm On May 13, 2012
Ilaje44: I am not surprised at all. They drive insanely in that country. Absolutely no sense of sanity. Overtaking where one is not to. Overspeeding. Poorly maintained vehicles. Very very bad tyres, lack of formal driver's training. Poor legislation on the use of road, inconsistent and apartheid execution of the poor legislations we have. All these are reasons the death toll is likely to remain very high.

Nice one...
Re: ‘nigeria Ranks Second In The World In Road Accident Fatalities’ by Super1759: 2:18pm On May 13, 2012
Fake statistics...mchewwwwwwwww. shocked tongue tongue
Re: ‘nigeria Ranks Second In The World In Road Accident Fatalities’ by Butoneday2(m): 2:22pm On May 13, 2012
''I disagree with them, which country then com be first na, dey no tell us. Since dey no tell us the country dat came 1st, then i rated 9igeria 1st and 2nd.
Re: ‘nigeria Ranks Second In The World In Road Accident Fatalities’ by Businesstools(m): 2:47pm On May 13, 2012
I disconcur.We should be number-one.Considering the pathetic state of our roads,lack of respect for other road users,diabolical machinations, inadequately enforcement of traffic regulations and the fact that a lot of accident cases are not recorded.
Re: ‘nigeria Ranks Second In The World In Road Accident Fatalities’ by question(m): 2:48pm On May 13, 2012
Which Country ranks 1st?
Re: ‘nigeria Ranks Second In The World In Road Accident Fatalities’ by ajaniade1: 2:52pm On May 13, 2012
who ever conducted this so-called research must be mistaken. Nigeria is definitely Number 1. This so-called unsafe driving acts/practices in Nigeria is applauded. They call it Mad skills. I remember visiting Nigeria in the early 2000's. This commercial driver practically left his own road and faced traffic to KILL A DEER. Yes a DEER. i WAS upset and to my greatest surprise the other passengers in the vehicle were all screaMING "DID YOU KILL IT" "CONGRATS" "YOU WIFE WILL BE HAPPY' IN yoruba language.
Re: ‘nigeria Ranks Second In The World In Road Accident Fatalities’ by Ideasroole: 3:01pm On May 13, 2012
Who is shouting n y r u shouting, wen de v told us de r on top of d situation.lol grin grin
Re: ‘nigeria Ranks Second In The World In Road Accident Fatalities’ by ziga: 3:10pm On May 13, 2012
amosy007: All this stupiid statistics that always put nigeria on every bad list really need to be checked.. Sometimes i wonder who,where and when was d survey carried to put nigeria top of everybad list.. Imagine i read on vanguard dat (1millions nigerians are blind!) not only that. There was even a time they said "nigeria is number one country that have sex(fvcks) alot in the whole world.. How can that be possible when we have america with the biggest p0rn network in the world not forgetin china and india...

I think its high we create a ministry that will into all this ridiculous statistics that sum stupiid people just cook up to give us bad name...

Is nigeria the only country with mad drivers or is nigeria the only country with bad roads?

Thats how they smuggle nigeria name into 2nd world corrupt nation in the world.. When we have d likes of mexico, america, russia etc not making d list

and d funniest part some people will believe those stupid statistics...

I guess next statistics will be nigeria has the highest number of people that shiit or piss daily.. Fooolish people

this is when i miss tony iredia

You echoed my thoughts exactly.

How was this study conducted Naija wey a lot of things go unreported, so how were they able to account for all the road accidents and the fatalities resulting from it
Did they correct for population size? Who did the study

The news piece didn't say nothing at all. . . Them just dump report wey anybody fit just siddon for him bedroom cook-up. Shiorrr

Unfortunately, Nairaland go swallow this thing whole and argument go start.

1 Like

Re: ‘nigeria Ranks Second In The World In Road Accident Fatalities’ by mikron(m): 3:36pm On May 13, 2012
Why is it that Nigeria is always ranked either 1st or 2nd in all the bad things of this world? you hardly hear or read about our good side. e.g
Nigeria number 1 in fraud in the world.
Nigeria number 1 in child mortality rate in the world
Nigeria number 1 in malaria cases in the world
Nigeria number 1 in VVF cases in the world
Nigeria ranks as one of the highest corrupt nations in the world
and now this latest statistics.
are we as bad as the western world is trying desperately to paint us or they are just trying to rubbish us as usual.
Re: ‘nigeria Ranks Second In The World In Road Accident Fatalities’ by dasparrow: 3:55pm On May 13, 2012

Well said.
Re: ‘nigeria Ranks Second In The World In Road Accident Fatalities’ by sizzlers(m): 5:08pm On May 13, 2012
hmm, fake statistic
Re: ‘nigeria Ranks Second In The World In Road Accident Fatalities’ by damilola15: 5:36pm On May 13, 2012
ajani_ade: who ever conducted this so-called research must be mistaken. Nigeria is definitely Number 1. This so-called unsafe driving acts/practices in Nigeria is applauded. They call it Mad skills. I remember visiting Nigeria in the early 2000's. This commercial driver practically left his own road and faced traffic to KILL A DEER. Yes a DEER. i WAS upset and to my greatest surprise the other passengers in the vehicle were all screaMING "DID YOU KILL IT" "CONGRATS" "YOU WIFE WILL BE HAPPY' IN yoruba language.
Lol. It's happens. Mine was a hawk at another time a partridge.
Re: ‘nigeria Ranks Second In The World In Road Accident Fatalities’ by freshmoney(m): 5:43pm On May 13, 2012
grin grin do you guys also know Nigerians play with car horns? My people drive as if they are being chased grin Don't forget that those commercial drivers do take hemp and alomo before starting off the day tongue Naija I hail
Re: ‘nigeria Ranks Second In The World In Road Accident Fatalities’ by Cupidkc(m): 5:44pm On May 13, 2012
Pennywise: I did Lagos-Benin road for the first ever since I started driving sometime last year. And I was amazed at why we do not have more fatalities on that road. At 120km/hr you get the sense that you are having a stroll on the highway. A good number of the vehicles have dubious road worthiness (I am not talking certificate here) but they want to prove to you that they can still out-run you for some uncertain glory.

Even at the best of times, the road is still dangerous. When you factor in the police and the custom with their surprise road blocks then you get a real sense of what I am talking about.

This same scenario is repeated all over the country. With a population of 160million people abandoned by Govt, I am surprised there is any other country with a more depressing statistic.

well said. You just reminded me of what happened to me some months ago...i was on 140km/hr and a car 'flew' pass me as if i was on 40km/hr,I didnt see the back of the car again. The problem we have in Nigeria is that some of our drivers are arrogant.
Re: ‘nigeria Ranks Second In The World In Road Accident Fatalities’ by Abbeycity88(m): 6:26pm On May 13, 2012
Dis is disgausing... Which country b 1st and 3rd we supose 2 came first...! Nigeria ar lackin behind in FIFA ranking nw Nigeria should b first in dis...Lol! We nid prayer in dis country
Re: ‘nigeria Ranks Second In The World In Road Accident Fatalities’ by dorox(m): 7:45pm On May 13, 2012
The unacceptably high rate of road deaths in Nigeria should be proof enough to show that the amount of time we spend praying and buying books from those religious hustlers has no effect on road safety.

1 Like

Re: ‘nigeria Ranks Second In The World In Road Accident Fatalities’ by dorox(m): 7:50pm On May 13, 2012
It's a high time that we begin to think collectively as a people and start implementing solutions to seemingly intractable problems that have been solved in many parts of the world.
Re: ‘nigeria Ranks Second In The World In Road Accident Fatalities’ by faithin9ja: 7:54pm On May 13, 2012
Is there anyone under the age of 40 years old in Nigeria who has actually done a driving test in Nigeria?
Re: ‘nigeria Ranks Second In The World In Road Accident Fatalities’ by Nobody: 7:55pm On May 13, 2012
if naija aint first then the news z a farce

(1) (2) (Reply)

The Strike Was Suspended Not Called Off – PENGASSAN President / Kwankwaso.... I'm In PDP To Stay. Ignore The Fake News. / Nigeria Escalates Fight Over Oil Block Granted To Eni And Shell

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 60
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.