Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,627 members, 7,809,338 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 08:02 AM

‘nigeria Ranks Second In The World In Road Accident Fatalities’ - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / ‘nigeria Ranks Second In The World In Road Accident Fatalities’ (11830 Views)

BREAKING NEWS :Gov Amosun's Convoy In Road Crash / Boko-Haram Ranks Second On Global Terror List / Rochas Okorocha Sustains Head Injury In Road Accident (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: ‘nigeria Ranks Second In The World In Road Accident Fatalities’ by Martini101(m): 8:03pm On May 13, 2012
Ilaje44: I am not surprised at all. They drive insanely in that country. Absolutely no sense of sanity. Overtaking where one is not to. Overspeeding. Poorly maintained vehicles. Very very bad tyres, lack of formal driver's training. Poor legislation on the use of road, inconsistent and apartheid execution of the poor legislations we have. All these are reasons the death toll is likely to remain very high.

If I were in Govt, apart from improving on infrastructure, I would also improve legislation on road use, and very important, embark on a long term awareness campaign on TV, Radio, print media and the internet. An overwhelming proportion of people possessing a driver's license in Nigera can not drive. Driving is not about moving the vehicle, but also respecting you are not the only one using the road, that you have to respect road use laws etc.

If made the transport minister, I definitely would carry out policies that would visibly reduce road accidents and the unneccessary traffic gridlocks over there.
. Bros. Which level. Na Ur Manifesto abi na Presentation 4 ministerial screening be dat?
Re: ‘nigeria Ranks Second In The World In Road Accident Fatalities’ by dorox(m): 8:05pm On May 13, 2012
faithin9ja: Is there anyone under the age of 40 years old in Nigeria who has actually done a driving test in Nigeria?
I started driving in 1993 and i didn't have to take a driving test to get my license.
Re: ‘nigeria Ranks Second In The World In Road Accident Fatalities’ by member479760: 8:58pm On May 13, 2012
anything bad na 1 or 2 we dey kari.
Re: ‘nigeria Ranks Second In The World In Road Accident Fatalities’ by id2010(m): 9:49pm On May 13, 2012
kiss cry cheesy how true is this?
Re: ‘nigeria Ranks Second In The World In Road Accident Fatalities’ by Venchy: 10:29pm On May 13, 2012
Without a doubt Nigeria should have come 1st in the ranking, I have never driven in Nigeria but I had an accident once long time ago when our But summer salted twice because (1) our driver have no experience...e.g formal driven test before acquiring his Licence (2)No Road markings and Signs apart from IKOYI the only place we have Righteousness in Nigeria (3) Weak and Ignorant in Government that are interested in 4*4. Our foolish leaders have no idea but travel abroad for shopping, sightseeing and taken the pictures of the House they would love to build.

To some people who are advocating as if they are Agent of this Criminal running the country, My advice to them is to come out and see how Road should be and Tough Regulation before you can be given a license.........My mate in UK was told by his Driven In-structure that he should forget about his driving skills from Nigeria if he wants to pass......What about that......and I did pass my test 3rd time after spending Nearly £400and that was in 2007.
Re: ‘nigeria Ranks Second In The World In Road Accident Fatalities’ by Nobody: 12:22am On May 14, 2012
The last time I read on the condition of roads and accidents of the World, Nigeria ranked N°1!
Re: ‘nigeria Ranks Second In The World In Road Accident Fatalities’ by ak47mann(m): 12:55am On May 14, 2012
accident kills people in Nigerian roads counting in thousands yearly and people will say the country is working their is hope undecided undecided
Re: ‘nigeria Ranks Second In The World In Road Accident Fatalities’ by slimchimex(m): 3:20am On May 14, 2012
pls we shld nt 4get witchcraft parading @nite on our roads causing more accident in d name of luking for blood n dos ritualist luking for blood money....only God will save naija...
Re: ‘nigeria Ranks Second In The World In Road Accident Fatalities’ by Nobody: 4:30am On May 14, 2012
the annoying thing is that rather than look for ways to make it better,some fools will come here and start blkaming america and the western world saying they are against Nigeria
Re: ‘nigeria Ranks Second In The World In Road Accident Fatalities’ by owobokiri(m): 6:51am On May 14, 2012
The high level of impatience amongst Nigerian drivers is what i cant comprehend. There is a clear reason for a hold-up, maybe a car in front developed a fault or something. Even if all can see the frantic efforts being made to get the car out of the way, the whole drivers behind would be cursing, hissing and blaring their horns NON-STOP as if it is a competion. Try driving slowly on a Nigerian road and watch every overtaking driver cursing and looking at you as if you have gone nuts! The roads are getting better but the drivers are getting worse so expect more fatalities.
Re: ‘nigeria Ranks Second In The World In Road Accident Fatalities’ by maasoap(m): 7:21am On May 14, 2012
Abbeycity88: Dis is disgausing... Which country b 1st and 3rd we supose 2 came first...! Nigeria ar lackin behind in FIFA ranking nw Nigeria should b first in dis...Lol! We nid prayer in dis country
China and India were used to being first and second respectively with Nigeria taking the third position. But going by this latest development, it means we've overtaken India. And it is not a study per se, all countries have records of road accidents every day of the 365 days that make a year. All what those organisations like WHO are doing is to just go to the appropriate departments in each country to obtain the data. And in the case of Nigeria, I would say the record couldn't be adequate enough because not all accidents are recorded in Nigeria.
Re: ‘nigeria Ranks Second In The World In Road Accident Fatalities’ by Niseamaka(m): 7:21am On May 14, 2012
STALE NEWS
Re: ‘nigeria Ranks Second In The World In Road Accident Fatalities’ by Observator: 7:25am On May 14, 2012
So sad! I strongly believe that the solution to Nigeria's many problems are (1) Law Enforcement (Policing)and (2) Sound judiciary.
Re: ‘nigeria Ranks Second In The World In Road Accident Fatalities’ by maasoap(m): 7:40am On May 14, 2012
owobokiri: The high level of impatience amongst Nigerian drivers is what i cant comprehend. There is a clear reason for a hold-up, maybe a car in front developed a fault or something. Even if all can see the frantic efforts being made to get the car out of the way, the whole drivers behind would be cursing, hissing and blaring their horns NON-STOP as if it is a competion. Try driving slowly on a Nigerian road and watch every overtaking driver cursing and looking at you as if you have gone nuts! The roads are getting better but the drivers are getting worse so expect more fatalities.
You got it my brother, IMPATIENCE is the problem. I always laugh whenever I hear people mentioning bad roads as the major cause of road accidents in Nigeria. Even in developed countries, they still have speed limit regulations which are strictly enforced despite having good and wide roads. Who is responsible for that in Nigeria? Imagine a commercial car speeding at 160 km/hr on that east west road! Poor mechanical condition of commercial vehicles is the second major cause of road accidents in Nigeria after reckless driving which includes drunk driving, over speeding and dangerous overtaking.
Re: ‘nigeria Ranks Second In The World In Road Accident Fatalities’ by maasoap(m): 7:51am On May 14, 2012
Observator: So sad! I strongly believe that the solution to Nigeria's many problems are (1) Law Enforcement (Policing)and (2) Sound judiciary.
That is the problem my brother, nobody to enforce our laws. Our laws are just there. Imagine a situation where a President and Commander in Chief of nation is afraid to enforce the laws of the land, or at least gives directive to law enforcers. Even when they try to do it, orders will still come from above that they should stop investigation or stand the risk of losing their jobs. Ours is a country with laws but without law enforcers.
Re: ‘nigeria Ranks Second In The World In Road Accident Fatalities’ by faithin9ja: 8:46am On May 14, 2012
Pennywise: I did Lagos-Benin road for the first ever since I started driving sometime last year. And I was amazed at why we do not have more fatalities on that road. At 120km/hr you get the sense that you are having a stroll on the highway. A good number of the vehicles have dubious road worthiness (I am not talking certificate here) but they want to prove to you that they can still out-run you for some uncertain glory.

Even at the best of times, the road is still dangerous. When you factor in the police and the custom with their surprise road blocks then you get a real sense of what I am talking about.

This same scenario is repeated all over the country. With a population of 160million people abandoned by Govt, I am surprised there is any other country with a more depressing statistic.

How long have you been driving? Did you take a driving test? If you did not take a driving test how do you know if you are a better driver than others on the road?
Re: ‘nigeria Ranks Second In The World In Road Accident Fatalities’ by Ilaje44(m): 9:15am On May 14, 2012
Martini101: . Bros. Which level. Na Ur Manifesto abi na Presentation 4 ministerial screening be dat?

Bros, ehm, ehm, as a citizen of another country apart from Nigerian, I can not vie for Governor or presidential positions. And beside, I dont have the money to waste for a political campaign. Therefore, I just made a presentation of what I would if I were the minister of transport. To make my policies work, I definitely have to collaborate with the homeland/internal/police affairs ministery. I am really convinced that I can make these changes if given the chance. I have already many shoes, and I do not need to treck except on leisures. Above all, I do what I say, and say what I will do. A person like me would not survive the Nigerian political jungle which means I was just being hypothetical.

But if unna want and ready for change sha, unna fit contact me for a ministerial position as Transportation and police affairs minister.
Re: ‘nigeria Ranks Second In The World In Road Accident Fatalities’ by shimol(m): 10:58am On May 14, 2012
Sad!
Re: ‘nigeria Ranks Second In The World In Road Accident Fatalities’ by crackhouse(m): 11:02am On May 14, 2012
Where is chidoka?. Where is he and what is he doing?. Is he sleeping?.
Re: ‘nigeria Ranks Second In The World In Road Accident Fatalities’ by Raxxye(m): 11:15am On May 14, 2012
Indeed sad and unfortunate that we always come first at everything wrong!
Re: ‘nigeria Ranks Second In The World In Road Accident Fatalities’ by davehall: 11:41am On May 14, 2012
lipsrsealed
amosy007: All this stupiid statistics that always put nigeria on every bad list really need to be checked.. Sometimes i wonder who,where and when was d survey carried to put nigeria top of everybad list.. Imagine i read on vanguard dat (1millions nigerians are blind!) not only that. There was even a time they said "nigeria is number one country that have sex(fvcks) alot in the whole world.. How can that be possible when we have america with the biggest p0rn network in the world not forgetin china and india...

I think its high we create a ministry that will into all this ridiculous statistics that sum stupiid people just cook up to give us bad name...

Is nigeria the only country with mad drivers or is nigeria the only country with bad roads?

Thats how they smuggle nigeria name into 2nd world corrupt nation in the world.. When we have d likes of mexico, america, russia etc not making d list

and d funniest part some people will believe those stupid statistics...

I guess next statistics will be nigeria has the highest number of people that shiit or piss daily.. Fooolish people

this is when i miss tony iredia
amosy007: All this stupiid statistics that always put nigeria on every bad list really need to be checked.. Sometimes i wonder who,where and when was d survey carried to put nigeria top of everybad list.. Imagine i read on vanguard dat (1millions nigerians are blind!) not only that. There was even a time they said "nigeria is number one country that have sex(fvcks) alot in the whole world.. How can that be possible when we have america with the biggest p0rn network in the world not forgetin china and india...

I think its high we create a ministry that will into all this ridiculous statistics that sum stupiid people just cook up to give us bad name...

Is nigeria the only country with mad drivers or is nigeria the only country with bad roads?

Thats how they smuggle nigeria name into 2nd world corrupt nation in the world.. When we have d likes of mexico, america, russia etc not making d list

I guess next statistics will be nigeria has the highest number of people that shiit or piss daily.. Fooolish people

my dear u sed it all
Re: ‘nigeria Ranks Second In The World In Road Accident Fatalities’ by supremebeing09: 2:55pm On May 14, 2012

MATE, EVERY STATISTIC ABOUT NIGERIA IS SO RIGHT I COULD GOUGE OUT MY EYES TO BACK UP THE STATISTICS. I THINK YOU'RE IGNORANT OF THE FACT THAT WE HAVE SOME OF THE WORSE INFRASTRUCTURE IN THE WORLD. FOR YOUR INFORMATION, OPPORTUNITY COSTS FOR NIGERIAN BUSINESSES ARE MOSTLY LOST DUE TO POOR INFRASTRUCTURE AND POOR TRANSPORTATION. IN ADDITION TO POOR ROADS AND MODES OF TRANSPORTATION, THE ATROCITIES COMMITTED BY UNLEARNED AND ILLOGICAL DRIVERS CONTINUE TO HEAP MORE SHAME ON THE TRANSPORTATION SECTOR OF THE COUNTRY. DON'T YOU FORGET THAT ANY TOM, DICK AND HARRY CAN DRIVE A CAR IN NIGERIA WITHOUT RELEVANT CHECKS AND/OR DOCUMENTATIONS. I'M SURE YOU DIDN'T THINK OVERCAPACITY AND A LACK OF STATISTICAL AWARENESS IS KILLING NIGERIA. WHY WON'T WE RANK SECOND WHEN THERE ARE POSSIBLY 160,000,000 CARS ON ROADS DESIGNATED FOR 50,000,000 CARS? (JUST A ROUGH EXAMPLE)... YOU DO THE MATHS.

EVEN THOSE ASSIGNED TO PROTECT AND IMPLEMENT THE SAFETY OF OUR ROADS ARE ALL CORRUPT MOFOS I CAN'T EVEN BE BOTHERED TO COMMENT ON THEM.

MATTER OF FACT, APART FROM SUDAN, SOMALIA AND A FEW OTHER COUNTRIES IN AFRICA, FOR A "CIVILISED" AND "...DEMOCRATIZED" COUNTRY, NIGERIA RANKS THE WORSE IN ANYTHING COMPARABLE. CORRUPTION? CHECK. BUREAUCRACY? CHECK. POOR INFRASTRUCTURE (BAD ROADS, LACK OF ELECTRICITY, WATER SUPPLY)? CHECK. ILLITERACY? CHECK. A STATIC MINDSET? CHECK. POOR GOVERNANCE AND MISMANAGEMENT? CHECK. COST OF DOING BUSINESS? CHECK .... I COULD GO ON AND ON.

DID YOU KNOW THAT YOUR COST OF DOING BUSINESS IN NIGERIA IS TWELVE TIMES HIGHER THAN THAT OF SOUTH AFRICA, GHANA AND OTHER AFRICAN COUNTRIES? THE MAJOR REASONS? POOR INFRASTRUCTURE, ELECTRICITY COSTS AND POOR MODES OF TRANSPORTATION COUPLED WITH BAD AND NON-ACCESSIBLE ROADS. OH, DID I MENTION SOME OF THESE ROADS HAVE BEEN SO POORLY MANAGED SINCE THE THREE WISE MEN DISCOVERED THE LOCATION OF CHRIST? HAVE YOU SEEN THE EFFECTS OF RAINFALL AND EROSION ON SOME OF THE NIGERIAN ROADS IN THE EASTERN PART OF THE COUNTRY? OR THE FACT THAT MASSIVE LORRIES CONTINUE TO CAUSE EITHER PHYSICAL DAMAGES (INJURIES, DEATHS, ETC.) OR INFRASTRUCTURAL DAMAGES (IMAGINE THE STRESS CAUSED ON THE ROADS BY THE SIZE OF THESE LORRIES WITHOUT MAINTENANCE. DON'T FORGET ABOUT POLLUTION TOO!). AHHH.... I JUST REMEMBERED THE OVERLOADING OF BOTH GOODS AND PEOPLE. I'M SURE YOU'RE FAMILIAR WITH THAT ONE. AHHH.... EMERGENCY SERVICES? I'M SURE THE RESPONSE RATE OF OUR EMERGENCY SERVICES IS ONE OF THE MOST ENVIABLE IN THE WORLD (SYKE!!!)

STATISTICIANS DO NOT MAKE UP STATISTICS BY GUESSING OR USING THE RULE OF THUMBS. THEY CARRY OUT IN-DEPTH ANALYSIS AND COMPARE THEIR FINDINGS VIGOROUSLY. SO YES, THE FINDINGS DO NOT LIE. YOU CAN EITHER ACT EDUCATED AND CONVINCED BY THE FINDINGS OR REMAIN IGNORANT AND ILL-ADVISED BY THE THOUGHTS IN YOUR HEAD. I HOPE IT'S THE FORMER.
Re: ‘nigeria Ranks Second In The World In Road Accident Fatalities’ by porka: 12:14am On May 15, 2012
Pennywise: I did Lagos-Benin road for the first ever since I started driving sometime last year. And I was amazed at why we do not have more fatalities on that road. At 120km/hr you get the sense that you are having a stroll on the highway. A good number of the vehicles have dubious road worthiness (I am not talking certificate here) but they want to prove to you that they can still out-run you for some uncertain glory.

Even at the best of times, the road is still dangerous. When you factor in the police and the custom with their surprise road blocks then you get a real sense of what I am talking about.

This same scenario is repeated all over the country. With a population of 160million people abandoned by Govt, I am surprised there is any other country with a more depressing statistic.

And what were you doing at 120km/hr?

Maximum speed limit in Nigeria is still 100km/hr.

I guess you were thinking of being part of the statistics.
Re: ‘nigeria Ranks Second In The World In Road Accident Fatalities’ by Nobody: 3:30am On May 15, 2012
Ilaje44:

Bros, ehm, ehm, as a citizen of another country apart from Nigerian, I can not vie for Governor or presidential positions. And beside, I dont have the money to waste for a political campaign. Therefore, I just made a presentation of what I would if I were the minister of transport. To make my policies work, I definitely have to collaborate with the homeland/internal/police affairs ministery. I am really convinced that I can make these changes if given the chance. I have already many shoes, and I do not need to treck except on leisures. Above all, I do what I say, and say what I will do. A person like me would not survive the Nigerian political jungle which means I was just being hypothetical.

But if unna want and ready for change sha, unna fit contact me for a ministerial position as Transportation and police affairs minister.
PROPAGANDIST!
Re: ‘nigeria Ranks Second In The World In Road Accident Fatalities’ by Ilaje44(m): 2:39pm On May 15, 2012
all4naija: PROPAGANDIST!

You meant PROPERGHANDIST not?
Re: ‘nigeria Ranks Second In The World In Road Accident Fatalities’ by dj5naira(m): 5:03pm On May 16, 2012
Nigeria; A country notorious for ill-rankings.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Buhari, Osinbajo Should Declare Their Assets Publicly - Ex-NHRC Chairman / I Reject Illegal Impeachment - Ekiti State Ex-speaker / Olatorera Majekodunmi-Oniru Buys Ogun Central APC Senatorial Form

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 68
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.