Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,260 members, 7,815,420 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 12:05 PM

The CallED, The SanctifiED And The PreservED - An Exposition On Jude Verse One. - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / The CallED, The SanctifiED And The PreservED - An Exposition On Jude Verse One. (1602 Views)

Tithing Ended And Abolished In The N.T - An Exposition On Hebrews Chapter 7. / Exposition Of The Occult Prophets And Healers In The Organizational Churches / The First Britsh Slave Ship To Reach The Americas Was Called The Good Jesus! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

The CallED, The SanctifiED And The PreservED - An Exposition On Jude Verse One. by Goshen360(m): 5:02pm On May 13, 2012
[size=15pt]Jude[/size], a bondservant of Jesus Christ, and brother of James, To those who are called, sanctified by God the Father, and preserved in Jesus Christ:

The writer of this letter/epistle/correspondence identified himself as Jude.

First, what is the meaning of Jude?
Second, who is this “Jude” that wrote the "Epistle of Jude" since we have several Jude in the bible?

Today, I present to you the Gospel of Power and the Power of Gospel from my exposition on the book/epistle of Jude (1-25). This is just the verse one from my exposition on the whole book. I have extracted verse one from the entire study/exposition and titled - The Called, The Sanctified and The Preserved.

Jude, from the Strong’s Exhaustive concordance # G2455, loudas is from the Hebrew origin (# H3063 – i.e Jehudah or Judah) which means celebrated, confessor of Jehovah and it is rooted in # H3034 which means to Praise, thanks, shoot, give thanks, be thankful. The name Jude is an English version which comes from the Hebrew origin and the Greek being Judas. In Hebrew, the meaning of the name Jude (Judah, in Hebrew) is Praise or the praised one. Jude is used in the Bible in opposite to Judas Iscariot to distinguish between the two Apostles of the same name. Jude is the English form of the name Judas (Greek form, loudas) and the Greek form is from the name Judah (Hebrew form), which literally means “to give thanks, or praise”. The English version of the name is used in most versions of the Bible to disassociate Jude from Judas Iscariot. Jude has 7 variant forms: Juda, Judah, Judas, Judd, Judsen, Judson and feminine Judith

I was amazed at how much could be gleaned from this little book. It has been described as the “difficult and neglected letter” and I now believe that this is certainly true. It has a lot to say to the modern church; and addresses much of what we call “today’s culture,” human rights, and liberty. It also gives guidance as to what role the church should play today. These 25 verses are packed full of spiritual insights and principles; in fact, so much so, that this will be a rather extensive and exposition study on the epistle of Jude. Hence, we come to the second question, who is this “Jude” or "Judas" (as seen from above) that wrote the "Epistle of Jude" since we have several Jude or Judas in the bible?

(to be continue)
Re: The CallED, The SanctifiED And The PreservED - An Exposition On Jude Verse One. by Ozegbe(m): 9:50pm On May 13, 2012
Goshen360: [size=15pt]Jude[/size], a bondservant of Jesus Christ, and brother of James, To those who are called, sanctified by God the Father, and preserved in Jesus Christ:

Second, who is this “Jude” that wrote the "Epistle of Jude" since we have several Jude in the bible?

Today, I present to you the Gospel of Power and the Power of Gospel from my exposition on the book/epistle of Jude (1-25). This is just the verse one from my exposition on the whole book. I have extracted verse one from the entire study/exposition and titled - The Called, The Sanctified and The Preserved.

Jude, from the Strong’s Exhaustive concordance # G2455, loudas is from the Hebrew origin (# H3063 – i.e Jehudah or Judah) which means celebrated, confessor of Jehovah and it is rooted in # H3034 which means to Praise, thanks, shoot, give thanks, be thankful. The name Jude is an English version which comes from the Hebrew origin and the Greek being Judas. In Hebrew, the meaning of the name Jude (Judah, in Hebrew) is Praise or the praised one. Jude is used in the Bible in opposite to Judas Iscariot to distinguish between the two Apostles of the same name. Jude is the English form of the name Judas (Greek form, loudas) and the Greek form is from the name Judah (Hebrew form), which literally means “to give thanks, or praise”. The English version of the name is used in most versions of the Bible to disassociate Jude from Judas Iscariot. Jude has 7 variant forms: Juda, Judah, Judas, Judd, Judsen, Judson and feminine Judith

I was amazed at how much could be gleaned from this little book. It has been described as the “difficult and neglected letter” and I now believe that this is certainly true. It has a lot to say to the modern church; and addresses much of what we call “today’s culture,” human rights, and liberty. It also gives guidance as to what role the church should play today. These 25 verses are packed full of spiritual insights and principles; in fact, so much so, that this will be a rather extensive and exposition study on the epistle of Jude. Hence, we come to the second question, who is this “Jude” or "Judas" (as seen from above) that wrote the "Epistle of Jude" since we have several Jude or Judas in the bible?

(to be continue)
Please can you highlight the objective of this lesson, so i can know where you are heading to.
Re: The CallED, The SanctifiED And The PreservED - An Exposition On Jude Verse One. by ATMC(f): 10:21pm On May 13, 2012
@op, its good dt u r teaching on this book, as i have a question on one of d verses when u r thru
Re: The CallED, The SanctifiED And The PreservED - An Exposition On Jude Verse One. by Goshen360(m): 2:39am On May 14, 2012
Ozegbe:
Please can you highlight the objective of this lesson, so i can know where you are heading to.

Well, it doesn't have an objective. If you read from the article; am ONLY sharing a part of the whole, that is verse one. I have instruction from the Holy Spirit to do commentary on each books of the bible. It will take years but as much as the Holy Spirit instruct me, I will share whatever the Spirit wants me to share with God's people. Okay. I am only sharing verse one as part of the whole for now.Okay. I don't know if this answers your question.
Re: The CallED, The SanctifiED And The PreservED - An Exposition On Jude Verse One. by Goshen360(m): 2:43am On May 14, 2012
ATMC: @op, its good dt u r teaching on this book, as i have a question on one of d verses when u r thru

Okay but am not sharing all the verses yet but I can still answer your question after am done with the exposition of verse one. My sister, verse one alone took me one week (not full day for each though) plus my other daily activities. Just stay with me till I finish expanding on this verse one and you will appreciate the indepth teaching. It will also take me 4-5 days to post only verse one in other to avoid to lengthy stuff. This will also allow readers to follow easily. I hope you question is answered ma?
Re: The CallED, The SanctifiED And The PreservED - An Exposition On Jude Verse One. by MrAnony1(m): 6:06am On May 14, 2012
I'm looking forward to it. Have you got a blog or somewhere the whole of verse one is already posted so I can read it all at once? I don't know if I can do the 4-5 day thing. Thank you in advance and God bless.
Re: The CallED, The SanctifiED And The PreservED - An Exposition On Jude Verse One. by Goshen360(m): 12:31pm On May 14, 2012
Mr_Anony: I'm looking forward to it. Have you got a blog or somewhere the whole of verse one is already posted so I can read it all at once? I don't know if I can do the 4-5 day thing. Thank you in advance and God bless.

Kindly leave your email here and I will send the whole verse one to your email. Thanks
Re: The CallED, The SanctifiED And The PreservED - An Exposition On Jude Verse One. by Goshen360(m): 12:37pm On May 14, 2012
Jude, a bondservant of Jesus Christ, and brother of James, To those who are called, sanctified by God the Father, and preserved in Jesus Christ: Nkjv

Today, we continue in our exposition of Jude verse One which I started. We come to the second question, who is this “Jude” or "Judas" (as seen from above) that wrote the "Epistle of Jude" since we have several Jude or Judas in the bible?

This “Jude” identified himself as “the servant or bondservant” of Jesus Christ AND “brother of James”. There are several “Jude” in the bible especially the New Testament and there are also several “James” in the bible especially, in the New Testament. Which “Jude” wrote this epistle and which “James” was he (Jude) talking about or referring to as “his brother”? We are going to delve into the different “Jude” and the different “James”

The first clue we have available is that this Jude, the writer of this epistle made it clear by distinguishing himself “FROM” the Apostles of Jesus and that he is NOT part of or one of the Apostles in verse 17-18. This statement ruled out the fact that this epistle was written by Judas, one of the Apostles of Jesus.

But you, beloved, remember the words which were spoken before by the apostles of our Lord Jesus Christ: how they told you that there would be mockers in the last time who would walk according to their own ungodly lusts. NKJV

But, beloved, remember ye the words which were spoken before of the apostles of our Lord Jesus Christ; how that they told you there should be mockers in the last time, who should walk after their own ungodly lusts. KJV

There are Eight (cool Individuals or persons named Jude (English), Judas (Greek), Judah (Hebrew) in the bible:

1. Judah, the fourth son of Jacob and head of the tribe of Judah. (Matt 1:2-3; Luke 3:33). He/his name is also used metonymically for the tribe and posterity of Judah (Matt 2:6; Heb 7:14; Rev 5:5; 7:5) and House of Judah which means “kingdom or tribe” of Judah in Heb 8:8

2. Judas or Judah, two of the ancestors of Jesus in Luke 3:26,30; Matt 1:2

3. The eleventh of the Apostles of Jesus Christ. (Luke 6:16, Acts 1:13). He is called loudas lakobou which the KJV translated “Judas the brother of James” while NKJV, NASB and NIV translated as “the son of James”. In Luke 6:15-16 and Acts 1:13, it should be “son of James”. The same Apostle in other verse IS NOT called “son of James” but his alternate name of Lebbaeus (Matt 10:3) and Thaddaeus (Mark 3:18). He was also distinguished from his notorious namesake as “Judas…not Iscariot” (John 14:22). All we know about Judas Lebbaeus or Thaddaeus is the question he asked in John 14:22.

4. Judas the brother of James and of the Lord Jesus Christ. Matt 13:55 and Mark 6:3. James, Joseph, Simon and Judas are named conjointly with the mother of Jesus as brothers of Jesus. In Jude 1:1, the author identified himself as Jude (Judas) “the brother of James”. The confusion is in KJV where it was mistranslated in Luke 6:16 and Acts 1:13 as brother of James instead of son of James, This how to distinguish from Judas the Apostle in (3) above and this Jude or Judas, the brother of James in (4) here, the half brother of Jesus Christ. He who is a brother cannot also be a son. In Matt 13:55 it is clearly stated that the two brothers, Judas and James were also brothers of Jesus. If the writer of the epistle of Jude told us in verse 17-18 that he is not part of the Apostles and did not claim Apostleship in verse 1 but rather identified himself as the brother of James, the only option left for us is Judas, the brother of Jesus and James as it makes sense to conclude that the writer who is the brother of James and the half brother of Jesus Christ. Before resurrection, he did not acknowledged his brother Jesus as the Messiah (John 7:3) but after resurrection he was found in upper room (Acts 1:14). Judas also misunderstood the popularity of Jesus (Matt 12:46). In his estimation, Jesus was a foolish enthusiast (Mark 3:21). However, one may wonder that if he is the brother of James and half brother of Jesus, then why would he identify himself as the “servant” (in the KJV) or “bondservant” of Jesus Christ (in the NKJV)? The answer lies in our definition of “servant or bondservant”.

5. Judas surnamed Iscariot, meaning man of Kerioth, an Apostle and the traitor who betrayed the Lord Jesus. He is often listed as last in the list of the Apostles of Jesus Christ. John 12:6; Matt 10:4, 26:14; Mark 3:19; Luke 22:3, 47; John 6:71; Acts 1:16, 25.

6. Judas surnamed Barsabbas, a Christian teacher sent from Jerusalem to Antioch with Paul and Barnabas. (Acts 15:22, 27, 32)

7. Judas, a Jew living in Damascus with whom Paul lodged at his conversion. Acts 9:7-12

8. Judas, surnamed the Galilean, so-called also by Josephus in company with one Sadoc or Saddacus, he attempted to raise sedition among the Jews but was destroyed by Cyrenius, then proconsul of Syria and Judea. Acts 5:37.

Therefore, we come to a conclusion that Jude (Judas), the writer of this epistle is the half brother of Jesus Christ and brother of James, not the Apostle Judas son of James as seen from the above exposition. The writer gave us the clue by himself (1) Not claiming Apostleship in verse 1. (2) Called himself brother of James (3) Distinguished himself NOT part of the Apostles of Jesus in verse 17-18. This leaves us with the only option of Judas (Jude), the brother of James and half brother of Jesus Christ.

(to be continue)
Re: The CallED, The SanctifiED And The PreservED - An Exposition On Jude Verse One. by MrAnony1(m): 1:25pm On May 14, 2012
dibsdadon@yahoo.com
Re: The CallED, The SanctifiED And The PreservED - An Exposition On Jude Verse One. by Goshen360(m): 7:30pm On May 14, 2012
We continue from the OP and still expanding on verse one of the book of Jude. First, we looked at the meaning of Jude and now, we will expand which Jude wrote this epistle as there are several Jude in the New Testament. So we may want to ask, which Jude wrote this epistle?

Jude, the servant of Jesus Christ, and brother of James, to them that are sanctified by God the Father, and preserved in Jesus Christ, [and] called: (KJV).

Jude, a bondservant of Jesus Christ, and brother of James, to those who are called, sanctified by God the Father, and preserved in Jesus Christ: (NKJV).

This “Jude” identified himself as “the servant or bondservant” of Jesus Christ AND “brother of James”. There are several “Jude” in the bible especially the New Testament and there are also several “James” in the bible especially, in the New Testament. Which “Jude” wrote this epistle and which “James” was he (Jude) talking about or referring to as “his brother”? We are going to delve into the different “Jude” and the different “James”

The first clue we have available is that this Jude, the writer of this epistle made it clear by distinguishing himself “FROM” the Apostles of Jesus and that he is NOT part of or one of the Apostles in verse 17-18. This statement ruled out the fact that this epistle was written by Judas, one of the Apostles of Jesus.

But you, beloved, remember the words which were spoken before by the apostles of our Lord Jesus Christ: how they told you that there would be mockers in the last time who would walk according to their own ungodly lusts. NKJV

But, beloved, remember ye the words which were spoken before of the apostles of our Lord Jesus Christ; how that they told you there should be mockers in the last time, who should walk after their own ungodly lusts. KJV

There are Eight ( 8 ) Individuals or persons named Jude (English), Judas (Greek), Judah (Hebrew) in the bible:

1. Judah, the fourth son of Jacob and head of the tribe of Judah. (Matt 1:2-3; Luke 3:33). He/his name is also used metonymically for the tribe and posterity of Judah (Matt 2:6; Heb 7:14; Rev 5:5; 7:5) and House of Judah which means “kingdom or tribe” of Judah in Heb 8:8

3. The eleventh of the Apostles of Jesus Christ. (Luke 6:16, Acts 1:13). He is called loudas lakobou which the KJV translated “Judas the brother of James” while NKJV, NASB and NIV translated as “the son of James”. In Luke 6:15-16 and Acts 1:13, it should be “son of James”. The same Apostle in other verse IS NOT called “son of James” but his alternate name of Lebbaeus (Matt 10:3) and Thaddaeus (Mark 3:18 ). He was also distinguished from his notorious namesake as “Judas - not Iscariot” (John 14:22). All we know about Judas Lebbaeus or Thaddaeus is the question he asked in John 14:22.

4. Judas the brother of James and of the Lord Jesus Christ. Matt 13:55 and Mark 6:3. James, Joseph, Simon and Judas are named conjointly with the mother of Jesus as brothers of Jesus. In Jude 1:1, the author identified himself as Jude (Judas) “the brother of James”. The confusion is in KJV where it was mistranslated in Luke 6:16 and Acts 1:13 as brother of James instead of son of James, This how to distinguish from Judas the Apostle in (3) above and this Jude or Judas, the brother of James in (4) here, the half brother of Jesus Christ. He who is a brother cannot also be a son. In Matt 13:55 it is clearly stated that the two brothers, Judas and James were also brothers of Jesus. If the writer of the epistle of Jude told us in verse 17-18 that he is not part of the Apostles and did not claim Apostleship in verse 1 but rather identified himself as the brother of James, the only option left for us is Judas, the brother of Jesus and James as it makes sense to conclude that the writer who is the brother of James and the half brother of Jesus Christ. Before resurrection, he did not acknowledged his brother Jesus as the Messiah (John 7:3) but after resurrection he was found in upper room (Acts 1:14). Judas also misunderstood the popularity of Jesus (Matt 12:46). In his estimation, Jesus was a foolish enthusiast (Mark 3:21). However, one may wonder that if he is the brother of James and half brother of Jesus, then why would he identify himself as the “servant” (in the KJV) or “bondservant” of Jesus Christ (in the NKJV)? The answer lies in our definition of “servant or bondservant”.

5. Judas surnamed Iscariot, meaning man of Kerioth, an Apostle and the traitor who betrayed the Lord Jesus. He is often listed as last in the list of the Apostles of Jesus Christ. John 12:6; Matt 10:4, 26:14; Mark 3:19; Luke 22:3, 47; John 6:71; Acts 1:16, 25.

6. Judas surnamed Barsabbas, a Christian teacher sent from Jerusalem to Antioch with Paul and Barnabas. (Acts 15:22, 27, 32)

7. Judas, a Jew living in Damascus with whom Paul lodged at his conversion. Acts 9:7-12

8. Judas, surnamed the Galilean, so-called also by Josephus in company with one Sadoc or Saddacus, he attempted to raise sedition among the Jews but was destroyed by Cyrenius, then proconsul of Syria and Judea. Acts 5:37.

Therefore, we come to a conclusion that Jude (Judas), the writer of this epistle is the half brother of Jesus Christ and brother of James, not the Apostle Judas son of James as seen from the above exposition. The writer gave us the clue by himself, how? (1) Not claiming Apostleship in verse 1. (2) Called himself brother of James (3) Distinguished himself NOT part of the Apostles of Jesus in verse 17-18. This leaves us with the only option of Judas (Jude), the brother of James and half brother of Jesus Christ. Again, if this writer is half brother of Jesus Christ, why would he call himself "a bondservant or the servant of Jesus Christ" and not just call himself "the brother of Jesus Christ and brother of James"? This will lead us to the next post and it will be answered therein.

(to be continue)
Re: The CallED, The SanctifiED And The PreservED - An Exposition On Jude Verse One. by Goshen360(m): 9:30pm On May 14, 2012
We continue our exposition to Jude verse one with the second question, which Jude wrote this epistle since we have several Jude or Judas (as expanded earlier) in the NT.

Jude, the servant of Jesus Christ, and brother of James, to them that are sanctified by God the Father, and preserved in Jesus Christ, [and] called: (KJV).

Jude, a bondservant of Jesus Christ, and brother of James, to those who are called, sanctified by God the Father, and preserved in Jesus Christ: (NKJV).

There are Eight ( 8 ) Individuals or persons named Jude (English), Judas (Greek), Judah (Hebrew) in the bible:

3. The eleventh of the Apostles of Jesus Christ. (Luke 6:16, Acts 1:13). He is called loudas lakobou which the KJV translated “Judas the brother of James” while NKJV, NASB and NIV translated as “the son of James”. In Luke 6:15-16 and Acts 1:13, it should be “son of James”. The same Apostle in other verse IS NOT called “son of James” but his alternate name of Lebbaeus (Matt 10:3) and Thaddaeus (Mark 3:18). He was also distinguished from his notorious namesake as “Judas…not Iscariot” (John 14:22). All we know about Judas Lebbaeus or Thaddaeus is the question he asked in John 14:22.

Therefore, we come to a conclusion that Jude (Judas), the writer of this epistle is the half brother of Jesus Christ and brother of James, not the Apostle Judas son of James as seen from the above exposition. The writer gave us the clue by himself (1) Not claiming Apostleship in verse 1. (2) Called himself brother of James (3) Distinguished himself NOT part of the Apostles of Jesus in verse 17-18. This leaves us with the only option of Judas (Jude), the brother of James and half brother of Jesus Christ.
Re: The CallED, The SanctifiED And The PreservED - An Exposition On Jude Verse One. by Goshen360(m): 4:17pm On May 15, 2012
Thank you @ JeSoul for untagging my hidden post. God bless you.
Re: The CallED, The SanctifiED And The PreservED - An Exposition On Jude Verse One. by Goshen360(m): 9:52pm On May 15, 2012
Mr_Anony: dibsdadon@yahoo.com

I sent you the full version of the verse one exposition. Enjoy it sir.
Re: The CallED, The SanctifiED And The PreservED - An Exposition On Jude Verse One. by MrAnony1(m): 11:11am On May 16, 2012
Goshen360:

I sent you the full version of the verse one exposition. Enjoy it sir.
Thanks a lot and God bless you. I have just seen the email (not read it yet though). I'll give it a read through. Again God bless you for your work, Thanks
Re: The CallED, The SanctifiED And The PreservED - An Exposition On Jude Verse One. by Goshen360(m): 1:13pm On May 16, 2012
^
Thank you and God bless you too.
Re: The CallED, The SanctifiED And The PreservED - An Exposition On Jude Verse One. by Goshen360(m): 1:35pm On May 16, 2012

Again, another question would then arise, If he (Judas or Jude) the writer of the Epistle of Jude is the half brother of Jesus and also the brother of James as he identified himself as we have expanded already; why would he, the writer then call himself the “Servant or bondservant of Jesus Christ?”

First, I believe he used the phrase, “bondservant of Jesus Christ” in regards to the giving of his "will" to the service of Jesus Christ, not his half brother looking beyond just a half brother. (we will define this below)

Second, I believe he did that out of humility in his servitude to Jesus Christ. To Jude, it is more honorable and humble to address himself as a servant or bondservant in the service of Jesus Christ rather than to popularize his family ties to Jesus Christ.

Third, the kingdom of God is NOT an earthly family affair even though members of the same earthly family can be involved in the same ministry or serve in the same ministry in their service to God but it is not exclusively a particular earthly family inheritance. This revelation of Jude calling himself the servant/bondservant of Jesus Christ instead of half brother of Jesus Christ must have been from his encounter of Jesus and his fleshly family in Mark 3:31-35,

Then His brothers and His mother came, and standing outside they sent to Him, calling Him. And a multitude was sitting around Him; and they said to Him, "Look, Your mother and Your brothers are outside seeking You." But He answered them, saying, "Who is My mother, or My brothers?" And He looked around in a circle at those who sat about Him, and said, "Here are My mother and My brothers! “For whoever does the will of God is My brother and My sister and mother"

“the servant” (KJV) or “a bondservant” (NKJV) of Jesus Christ.

Servant (# G1401) is the English word translated from the Greek word “doulos” means - a slave, bond, bondman and servant with its root word in # G1210, deo; which means - to bind; to be in bond, knit, tie, and wind. It is used voluntarily or involuntarily, literally or figuratively and frequently in a qualified sense of subjection or subservience to servitude. Servitude means hard labour done by a servant or conscripted workers. Servitude is the same Hebrew translated as English word, “service”. Hence, a bondservant is a servant bond to or tied to something or master. A slave or servant is one who is in a permanent or temporary bond/tie of relation of servitude to another, his "will" being altogether consumed in the "will" of the other/master. Generally, one who is serving is bound to serve. The word slave or servant is applicable in these four ways:

1. A slave or servant as spoken of literally involuntary service. That is, a slave as opposed to a free man. 1 Cor. 7:21; Gal. 3:28; Col 3:11.

2. It is also used metaphorically spoken of voluntary service. A servant here is implying obedience and devotion to a master (John 15:15; Rom. 6:16). It is also used as spoken of a voluntary of true followers and worshipers of God i.e. servant of God (Rom. 1:1; Gal 1:10; 2 Pet. 1:1).

3. It is also used as a giving of one's self to something he/she is addicted to (Roma. 6:16-17; John 8:34; 2 Pet 2:19)

4. It is also used in the sense of minister, attendant as spoken of the officers of an oriental court. (Matt 18:23, 26-28,32; 22:3-10)

Therefore, we can say that Jude in context here did not imply an “involuntary” definition of the word, “servant or bondservant” since he now believed in Jesus Christ, his half brother (Acts 1: 13-14) and gave himself to the service of Jesus Christ. He did not identify himself as the half brother of Jesus but rather as servant or bondservant who had given himself to the service of Christ. He is tied to; he was in bond with/to Jesus Christ. He gave himself as a servant to be used by Jesus Christ in the service of the kingdom of God. This is the true sense of our servitude and voluntary service to God as a true followers and worshipers of God. Hence we are also called and can boldly call ourselves, “the servants or bondservants" of Jesus Christ because we have given ourselves by “our will” to the use of Jesus Christ in the kingdom of our dear God.
Re: The CallED, The SanctifiED And The PreservED - An Exposition On Jude Verse One. by ATMC(f): 6:48am On May 17, 2012
U got mail...
Re: The CallED, The SanctifiED And The PreservED - An Exposition On Jude Verse One. by Goshen360(m): 1:27pm On May 17, 2012
^
Yes @ ATMC. My email is goshen360@yahoo.co.uk
Re: The CallED, The SanctifiED And The PreservED - An Exposition On Jude Verse One. by Goshen360(m): 1:35pm On May 17, 2012
Still expanding on Jude verse one,

Recipients of this epistle are:

1. Those who are called
2. Those who are sanctified and
3. Those who are preserved

Those who are called

Called (# G2822) is from the Greek word kletos and its root in (#G2821 – Klesis) means invited, appointed, welcomed, to be called, summoned. It is originally used to designate those invited to a banquet (1 king 1:41, 49; Matt 20:16, 22:14). It is also used particularly of the divine call to partake of the blessings of the redemption (Rom 8:30; 1 Cor. 1:9; 1 Thess. 2:12; Heb. 9:15). The word "kletos" that refers to one(s) who is invited, summoned, welcomed and appointed. Every Christian are those that are called and part of this epistle are written to. The saved, (as many as believed) the ones that had answered the calling of Salvation of Jesus Christ and voluntarily given themselves to the service of the kingdom of God. (1 John 3:11). We (Christians) are the CALLED ones by the name of CHRIST. The word of God says, If my people who are CALLED by my name (2 Chronicles 7:14). The word, Christian is derived from the name, Christ. We are CALLED after Christ, through Christ and in Christ. (Rom. 1:6). 1 Peter 2:9 says, we have been called out of darkness and the world into the marvelous light of God.

But you [are] a chosen generation, a royal priesthood, a holy nation, His own special people, that you may proclaim the praises of Him who called you out of darkness into His marvelous light;

We are also called to be saints. The word for saint is commonly translated “holy”, the root meaning being “different”. To be called to be a saint is to be called to be different, i.e., different from the world; with holy values. (Rom. 1:7; I Cor. 1:2; 1 Pet 1:15; 1 Thess. 4:7).

We (believers) are also called according to the purpose of God. God has a plan and purpose for every person who accepts Christ. No Christian can say “I can’t do anything”; because God uses our weakness to display His power. God has prepared a task and a purpose for all those He calls. (Rom. 8:28 ).

We are called into the fellowship of His son, Jesus our Lord (1 Cor. 1:9)

There is no difference of tribe or nationality among the called ones in Christ Jesus (Rom. 9:24; 1 Cor. 1:24)

A called to a special office or assignment within the body of Christ. (1 Cor. 1:1; Rom. 1:1, 1 Cor. 7:15-24)

We are called by/ through the grace of God and through the gospel and NOT by works neither are we to take credit or honour for our calling. We are also called by God’s glory (Gal 1: 15; 2 Thess. 2:14; 2 Tim. 1:9; Heb. 5:4; 2 Pet 1:3)

We are called to fight the good fight of faith and lay hold on eternal life. (1 Tim. 6:12)

We are called to receive and inherit the promise of eternal inheritance and blessings and into eternal glory. (Heb. 9: 15; 1 Pet 3: 9; 1 Pet 5:10)

We are called to be a friend of God like Abraham. (James 2: 23)

We are called to suffer in the like or model of Christ. (1 Pet. 2: 21)

Those who are called to the blessed marriage of the Lamb will be called the true words of God. (Rev. 19:9)

(to be continue)
Re: The CallED, The SanctifiED And The PreservED - An Exposition On Jude Verse One. by Goshen360(m): 1:14pm On May 18, 2012
Today, I conclude my exposition on Jude verse One.

Those who are sanctified

Sanctified (#G37) is an English word from the Greek word – hagiazo rooted in the Greek word – hagios/hagos (#G40) and it means to make holy or make sacred (physically pure and morally/religiously blameless), purify, hallow, consecrated, to venerate, separated from and set apart to/for God. Many things in the Bible are called sanctified. The Sabbath Day was sanctified by God, which meant it was set apart for special service (Gen. 2:3). The Tabernacle and its furniture was set apart as the place of God's presence and for worship (Exod. 29:43, Lev. 8:10). Jesus was sanctified by the Father (John 10:36); food is sanctified when offered in prayer (1 Tim. 4:5). The believer is instructed to sanctify God in his heart (1 Pet. 3:15).

Jude says, “Sanctified by God the Father”. Jude states that he is addressing the letter to those "sanctified by God the Father." "Sanctify" means to make holy or to purify and being set apart for God's use and unique service. This is a deep word though it sounds very simple. God is the One that sanctifies the ones He called and He had sanctified them in His Son Jesus. Our sanctification is NOT of our works but by God. When God calls, He also sanctifies and had indeed sanctified. In the use of sanctified with relation to persons, it means to consecrate as being set apart by God and sent by Him for the performance of His will (John 10:36). It is also used in respect to person as devoted, set apart from a COMMON to a SACRED use since in the Jewish ritual; this was one great object of the purifications. (Matt 23:17; 23:19; 2 Tim. 2:21, Lev. 8:10, 30)

In 1 Cor. 7:14,

“For the unbelieving husband is sanctified by the wife, and the unbelieving wife is sanctified by the husband; otherwise your children would be unclean, but now they are holy”.

Apostle Paul expanded on the how Christians are sanctified IN or in relationship with Christ to teach same revelation from a marriage covenant of a husband and wife. We (Christians) like our sinful acts are though still called saints because of our relationship with Christ, married or joined with Christ; God called us holy ones, sanctified ones. By the same revelation, Paul explains the sanctification of a believing spouse when married to an unbelieving one.

The sanctification (sanctified) here in 1 Cor. 7:14 is the word, hegiastai and it should NOT be confused to mean salvation. It means the unbelieving spouse is set apart on account of the believing partner. The unbeliever comes under a special and direct spiritual influence and benefits from the divine favour in the life of the believing spouse. As long as there is marriage covenant and contact, there is hope that the unbelieving spouse will turn to faith in Jesus Christ. The revelation here is that, in such marriage covenant, the believing spouse is NOT defiled by the unbeliever; rather the unbeliever is sanctified by the believer.

God consecrated, sanctified and sent Christ Jesus into the world (John 10:36)

Jesus set apart Himself (devoting) to the redemption of his people (John 17:19)

Believers are set apart for God (Acts 10:32; Rom. 15:16)

Believers or Christians are to set themselves apart or separate themselves from the world in our behavior – by the Father through the word (John 17:17-19)

Believers are also sanctified by faith in Christ (Acts 26:18 )

We are also sanctified by/in the Holy Spirit (Romans 15:16)

We are also to cleanse ourselves from iniquity, lusts and set ourselves apart, sanctified for the Master’s use (2 Timothy 2:21)

We are called brethren of Christ because we are sanctified (Hebrews 2:11)

Our sanctification had perfected us through the sacrificial offering of Christ (Hebrews 10:14)

Sanctification as being set apart from sin unto God has three aspects and is distinctly different, and each refers to time. A believer has past, present, and future sanctification. Every Christian can say, "I have been sanctified; I am being sanctified; I will yet be sanctified."

PAST SANCTIFICATION means the believer, when he was saved, was positionally set apart in Christ (Acts 20:32; 1 Cor. 1:2; 1:30; 6:9-11; Heb. 10:10, 14). At the new birth, every believer is eternally sanctified in Christ and is brought from the power of the devil into the family of God (John 1:14; Gal. 4:4-6), from the devil's kingdom into Christ's kingdom (Col. 1:12, 13); from the old creation into the new creation (2 Cor. 5:17). This sanctification is an eternal reality, based one's new spiritual position the Christian has in Jesus Christ. The Corinthian believers were far from sinless, yet they were called saints and were said to have been sanctified (1 Cor. 1:2, 30). In this sense, the Christian can say, "I AM sanctified in Christ" referring to when he believed.

PRESENT SANCTIFICATION is the process by which the Holy Spirit gradually changes the believer's life to give victory over sin. This is practical sanctification, that refers to Christian growth and maturity in putting away sin in one's life and putting on godliness (Rom. 6:19, 22; 1 Thess. 4:3, 4; 1 Pet. 1:14-16). This present process of sanctification never ends in this life (1 John 1:8-10). The Christian must resist while he is in this world till death or at the return of Christ. In this sense, the Christian can say, "I AM BEING sanctified by God's power."

FUTURE SANCTIFICATION is the perfection the believer will enjoy at the resurrection (1 Thess. 5:23). When a believer dies and is resurrected he will receive a new body without the old nature to sin. Therefore, Christians after death and the resurrection will no longer have to resist sin having received God's perfection. Sanctification will be completed. He will be set apart forever to God from sin.

Christians or believers are SANCTIFIED “IN” (not “OUT”) Christ Jesus. (1 Cor. 1:2, Heb 10:10,14) which is known as our designation whereby we are called “saints, sanctified ones, set apart ones, consecrated ones, holy ones etc”. Therefore, our sainthood and/or sanctification are NOT an attainment or attainable state. It is a state already attained (as we are already sanctified) when we come to Christ and remain IN Christ in which God, through Grace calls sinful men and in which they begin their course and continue as Christians (Col. 3:12; Heb 3:1).

Those who are preserved

Preserved (# G5083) is from the Greek word – tereo with its root from teros. It means to guard from loss or injury, properly by keeping the eye upon; it means to preserve and preserve means to keep in an unaltered condition or maintain unchanged; to prevent from decaying and spoiling; to keep or maintain intact.

There is an inheritance to them that are called, sanctified in the third aspect they are preserved. Our preservation is complete and total. The complete man (spirit, soul and body) is preserved in Christ. One of the main reason believers are preserved “blameless” in Christ is for the second coming of our Lord Jesus Christ. 1 Thess. 5:23,

Now may the God of peace Himself sanctify you completely; and may your whole spirit, soul, and body be preserved blameless at the coming of our Lord Jesus Christ.

This is the heritage of them that are called and sanctified. They are also preserved till the coming of our Lord Jesus Christ. Believers, who are called, sanctified and then preserved according to Jude. This is the heritage of the servants or bondservants of God in Christ Jesus. He that had called us also sanctifies us and preserves us for His eternal glory. To be called is to be called IN JESUS CHRIST. To be sanctified is to be sanctified IN JESUS CHRIST and to be preserved is to be PRESERVED IN, not OUT of JESUS CHRIST.

I believe the Holy Spirit will permanent these words in our heart in Jesus Name - Amen. God bless you all.
Re: The CallED, The SanctifiED And The PreservED - An Exposition On Jude Verse One. by buzugee(m): 1:38pm On May 18, 2012
Goshen360: [size=15pt]Jude[/size], a bondservant of Jesus Christ, and brother of James, To those who are called, sanctified by God the Father, and preserved in Jesus Christ:

(to be continue)
nice one. interesting looking at the etymology of names
Re: The CallED, The SanctifiED And The PreservED - An Exposition On Jude Verse One. by ApostlePat: 2:21pm On May 18, 2012
@ Goshen360,

Wow! What a gift you are to the body of Christ. I have been following this thread and reading from behind. I wanted you to conclude on verse one you said you will only expand on this thread. I was like, if you are expnading on verse one only like this, what should we expect in the rest of the verses? This is a blessing I must confess. May God increase you in His word. Silver and Gold I have none, but the Holy Spirit continue to unfold deep truth and revelation to you. I don't mind having your contact if it will be possible to invite you to come bless God's people in our church in the United States as I see from your profile you reside in New York. I have your email from one of the post so I have emailed you so we can discuss further. God bless you.
Re: The CallED, The SanctifiED And The PreservED - An Exposition On Jude Verse One. by Goshen360(m): 6:47pm On May 18, 2012
^
ApostlePat, thanks so much. It will be my honour to come bless God's people with God's word in your church. My email is goshen360@yahoo.co.uk. Thanks and God bless you.
Re: The CallED, The SanctifiED And The PreservED - An Exposition On Jude Verse One. by buzugee(m): 4:52am On May 20, 2012
Goshen there was a point you made a while back, and i was wondering what the heck you were trying to get at. you said technically the new testament is supposed to start from the book of acts and i thought you were tripping ? i have just seen the point you were trying to make and you were very right. you are definitely ahead of your time. i see it now. because the new convenant uniting both jews and gentiles did not kick in until after Christs death and hence matthew mark luke and john would have still been under the old convenant of only the jews been with the laws. i get it now.
Re: The CallED, The SanctifiED And The PreservED - An Exposition On Jude Verse One. by Goshen360(m): 6:18am On May 20, 2012
^
Thanks. However, we have to study to show yourself approved unto God AND also, like you often quote...we have to prove ALL things. I am not against anybody teaching or preaching anything but like the Berean Church, I will cross check from the word, test and prove such teachings. This is what we should be doing bro. If as giant as Apostle will teach and the Berean Church will still scrutinize his teachings under the lens of the word of God, then who the heck is any MoG that we should not scrutinize and test and prove their teachings under the microscope and lens of the word of God.

Kindly send me your email, I will like to send you library study materials if you can afford to buy them. They will ALL help your study life. Send me email to: goshen360@yahoo.co.uk. Thanks and God bless you.
Re: The CallED, The SanctifiED And The PreservED - An Exposition On Jude Verse One. by ATMC(f): 7:08am On May 20, 2012
dt's true, but most pple won't accept this rather they swallow whatever a man of god says hook, line nd sinker. Tx all d same
Re: The CallED, The SanctifiED And The PreservED - An Exposition On Jude Verse One. by ATMC(f): 7:12am On May 20, 2012
still expecting ur msg @goshen
Re: The CallED, The SanctifiED And The PreservED - An Exposition On Jude Verse One. by Goshen360(m): 4:17pm On May 20, 2012
^
Reply sent @ ATMC

(1) (Reply)

HORRIFIC DECLINATION OF TRIBAL RELIGIONS ! (Africa) / Why I Think Catholics Should Have Their Own Section on Nairaland! / The Location Of Garden Of Eden has being found And The Tree At The Middle.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 136
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.