Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,043 members, 7,818,104 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 08:02 AM

Private Christian Universities: Faith In Deception? - Religion (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Private Christian Universities: Faith In Deception? (14718 Views)

The Pioneers (Fathers) Of The Christian Faith In Nigeria / The Deception Of Malachi 3:10-11 "Devourer" And "Storehouse" EXPOSED / Proliferation Of Christian Universities (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Private Christian Universities: Faith In Deception? by shehu50(m): 3:50pm On May 15, 2012
Let us not lose the significance of the post by the author.the essence of the post is to give us in-depth information on how the school really is.that way as parents we would be able to make proper evaluation before sending our kids to such school.Also people should stop making comments like the poster has a choice and he could leave the school.the poster did not go to the school as a result of his but was put in the school as a result of his parents decision.most times parents take their children/wards to these school to impart strong moral upbringing in the life of these kids.the children view or opinion about such school does not count.

1 Like

Re: Private Christian Universities: Faith In Deception? by Afam4eva(m): 3:53pm On May 15, 2012
Private Christian universities are the most hypocritical in Nigeria. They pursue irrelevant things such as the OP alluded forgetting that a religious educational center is supposed to be sensitive to the plights of poor people in the society. Their tuition fees are criminal and are against the preaching of the bible. All around the world, Church universities are usually cheap so that anyone can afford to attend but here in Nigeria, you have to rob a baank to attend a school owned by Jesus Christ. God save Nigeria.
Re: Private Christian Universities: Faith In Deception? by rhymz(m): 3:59pm On May 15, 2012
A lot of nonsense going on today in the name of God. Mind programming and brainwashing experiments going on in churches...now they have centres in the name of schools where they have the luxury of time and human samples to conduct their mind programming experiments on young tamed mind. In a matter of time, as evidenced in some of the posts here and in similar threads, we will have a large population of church tamed zombies in the mould of graduates, professionals, leaders, soldiers, citizens etc and in their various capacities they will force their myopic religious views, intolerance, look down on others with differing social make up and skills and in the process the cycles continues. It is high time the government looked into the kind of things that go on in these indoctrination centres. One of Nigeria's biggest problen today is religious intoleranc, yet the government allows religiously skewed Universities to prop up, nobody questions their method of imparting knowledge or the fact that there should be a balance between what is considered religious indoctrintion and secular knowledge. People should not be forced to learn the bible, that in itself is intolerance, religious piety should not be the basis of the academic pursuit in any school. Telling people to concentrate the better part of their academics on reading bible pages and summarising them is antithetical to the freedom of worship that the constitution stipulates. Adding religion as a compulsory prerequisite to every course of study is not only useless to non-christians but also to christians who are not there to study theology, it adds noting to their academic pursuits.
Government should look into these things abeg.
Re: Private Christian Universities: Faith In Deception? by Nobody: 3:59pm On May 15, 2012
papatosibe:

dived is correct! Whats your beef?
Omo, i tire for the educated mugu o..
Re: Private Christian Universities: Faith In Deception? by Nobody: 4:03pm On May 15, 2012
E
Re: Private Christian Universities: Faith In Deception? by Olalekan0(m): 4:07pm On May 15, 2012
Beaf!:
@Poster
Your write-up is wonderful. Good vocab, diction, punct etc. Now, if you got that skill from the 'Christian University' i will advise you forget all these negative aspects you listed and hang in there. This is Nigeria where so many things prevails - good or evil.
The OP is not a student of redeemers uni,if you read his write-up accurately,you'll deduce he was writing on behalf of someone!
Re: Private Christian Universities: Faith In Deception? by malc619(m): 4:09pm On May 15, 2012
solaceguy: Long write-up....did'nt care to read it
I went to RUN, made a 1st class (thank God, cos it was difficult), I'm happy i attended RUN...btw i aced my jamb n other international exams i have done

Chest-thumping-Chimpanzee ......
Re: Private Christian Universities: Faith In Deception? by onyxo76(m): 4:11pm On May 15, 2012
i went to a public university- ife to be precise and am glad i did.i've interacted with graduates from private universities and am not really impressed as regards their maturity. fine they graduate on time with good grades but is that all there is to it?they behave like people whose minds have been re-programmed. the see everything you do as worldly no thanks to sound "doctrine " on campus.
Re: Private Christian Universities: Faith In Deception? by sample042(m): 4:13pm On May 15, 2012
@op, if nt 4 maturity i wuld ve used harsh words on u. 4rm ur write up u seemd enlightnd n intelligent bt 4rm wat u composed above it demeans ur personality. Complain s nt a solutn to such things. As a poster 1c said "quit d sch" if it's nt convenient 4 u. Mind u, am nt a redeemer.
Re: Private Christian Universities: Faith In Deception? by malc619(m): 4:17pm On May 15, 2012
I hope u sent a copy of this ur essay 2 whoever sent Ʊ 2 dat skool.
Its a free country, Ʊ were admitted to a Church-owned university, WHAT WERE Ʊ EXPECTING??
Ʊ or whoever forced Ʊ dere did ₪☺ homework b4 Ʊ were put there..
Pls next time attach a summary cos dis "Novel" is 2 voluminous....
Re: Private Christian Universities: Faith In Deception? by Dimples316(f): 4:21pm On May 15, 2012
Mmmmmh, what can I say? Well first of all I enjoyed reading your report on RUN because it revealed certain things that my sister and an acquaintance have complained about in the past which are the issues of an exorbitant shool fees and the secondary school treatment of young adults who are supposedly in a higher instituion of learning.

My sister often complains about how the Xtian Universities are so expensive that the poor/less privileged from this same churches that run them, can't even afford the school fees for their wards. I have often argued (without proof) that the church will definitely subsidize the rate for it's poor members (because I want to believe the church has enough initiative and knowledge of God's word to do that).

If all you've said is true I woudn't want my children to school in a surpressed and locked down environment with so many strigent rules, after going through that in secondary school.
Re: Private Christian Universities: Faith In Deception? by Nobody: 4:27pm On May 15, 2012
Covenant university, the university of gay and lesbians. where they are groomed to bcome professionals.
Re: Private Christian Universities: Faith In Deception? by bayulll01(m): 4:28pm On May 15, 2012
solaceguy: this person did not attend RUN, and d person that said d writer has good vocabs is obviously a graduate of a sub-standard university. Emerole is a Professor and not a doctor. he was the first 1st-class-in-biochemistry graduate in nigeria. I saw many other lies you told about RUN, #Godiswatchingyou ....btw d past tense of 'Dive' is 'Dove' and not 'dived'
you are the most dumbiest person i have ever come accros,keep leaving in your deluded world,op is saying the truth
Re: Private Christian Universities: Faith In Deception? by hotwax: 4:35pm On May 15, 2012
When you work for a car industry, it is not by force to buy their car.
If you cant afford the car your company is selling, you buy another make.

If you cant afford/like the school of ur church, go to other school.

The church established the school for profit making. If the profit making is affecting u negatively why disturb the world instead of applying common sense and look for somewhere else. Or is ur destiny tied to that school?

This article is just another religion war. I dont see any point in it.

Get a life!
Re: Private Christian Universities: Faith In Deception? by hotwax: 4:38pm On May 15, 2012
All the cry that the school doesnt employ outsiders is outrageous. Must a muslim work in a xtian school.

Now they will be claiming the school should be using Hijab so far their staffs are muslims.

Pls leave xtians alone. Let them have peace.
Re: Private Christian Universities: Faith In Deception? by bikerboy1(m): 4:42pm On May 15, 2012
solaceguy: this person did not attend RUN, and d person that said d writer has good vocabs is obviously a graduate of a sub-standard university. Emerole is a Professor and not a doctor. he was the first 1st-class-in-biochemistry graduate in nigeria. I saw many other lies you told about RUN, #Godiswatchingyou ....btw d past tense of 'Dive' is 'Dove' and not 'dived'

Are You sure you made a 1st class, cuz you sound so baseless in ur reasoning.
Re: Private Christian Universities: Faith In Deception? by Frendys(m): 4:44pm On May 15, 2012
Your intention is wrong and short sighted. If at this stage of your life you have become articulate at undermining your institution openly then you will never see good in anyone or anything else. You are doomed because you have no sense of gratitude and value. Public institutions are no different or better.
You may come to realize later in life that the moral the institution wants you to imbibe will be a bonus to your life. Two of my family members who graduated from CU are highly placed in the US and Britain respectively and they value the foundation of Christian moral they received while in CU. And they are godly. No doubt every institution has its drawback.
The other OP “Muskeeto” that ‘knows all’ about his church’s finances, I only have pity for you. You can’t break the Church of Jesus Christ…you will be broken instead.
Please realize that the money for developing and maintaining the school comes from the tithes, donations and offerings of the church members and not from the federal government purse!
Every great institution has a humble beginning: A wise son will make his father proud.

3 Likes

Re: Private Christian Universities: Faith In Deception? by adamse(f): 4:50pm On May 15, 2012
You shouldn't expect a university to be perfect..at least you know when you would graduate unlike federal unis(big thanks to ASUU"strikes")just focus on the "advantages" you have,do what u av 2 do and graduate! U obviously know dat these complains wouldn't change a thing!(U applied to the school willingly,makin it now compulsory for u to abide by their rules!)
Re: Private Christian Universities: Faith In Deception? by inene: 4:53pm On May 15, 2012
I hate making general statements and so i will not make one here. Some guys in this NL amaze me. Some are leaving the substance and chasing shadows. I attend a Parish of RCCG but it does not mean that i can swallow hook line and sinker wrongs being perpetrated by the university. one thing i can say is the the church is not the university and the author did not say the GO is responsible for all the things going on in the university. I just hope he gets to read this lamentation from a student who is wearing the shoe and know where its pinching him. Some of the issues can be addressed if the school will fulfill the visions of the founder. The GO is an academic himself and should know what a great school should look like. Let him find time to look into the goings on in the university and right the wrongs before things get out of hand.
Re: Private Christian Universities: Faith In Deception? by plaetton: 4:59pm On May 15, 2012
Nchees: Let's stop this habit of complaining.U hv every right to tell u parents what u want as an adult.Again,there is no perfect university in Nigeria whether state,fedral or private.Concentrate on ur study,so dat u graduate wit d best.

For those of u castigating men of God or churches,my advice is REPENT.

How can anyone stop the habit of complaining when there is so much to complain about? Zombies do not complain.Not every is a zombie.
What kind of a world would you live in if free people(not slaves, not zombies) do not complain?
Zombie.
Re: Private Christian Universities: Faith In Deception? by Shinor(m): 5:05pm On May 15, 2012
poj: You appears too intelligent and assertive to be in such university. You need to b in one of d fed univ; whr ur freedom s guaranteed. Sincrly i dont gbadun all ds privat univ. Y not convnce ur parents n bid bye bye to redeem uni n move elsewhr whr sizable amnt of aluta against maltreatmnt s practicable.
Your style of writing is a disgrace to whichever Federal university you attended and probably the reason why people like the guy who wrote the article will go to a private university despite all the attendant problems. At least bad English isn't one of them.
Re: Private Christian Universities: Faith In Deception? by mavinc4u(f): 5:07pm On May 15, 2012
why is everybody accusing this guy.can't u read between lines,his parents sent him to that school and he has no option unless he wants to cater for hiself which i believe he is not working and doesn't have money to pay for his fee so he has to pay the price of obeying his parents by sticking to the school. No offence
Re: Private Christian Universities: Faith In Deception? by vulpeslopez(m): 5:13pm On May 15, 2012
Guy,u neva see anytin,I go advice u make u come igbinedion university okada 4 one year u go no wat up, 650k a year and No light,No water,Notin de dat skool na just name.RUN still better sha based on Christian church assume na CU u for no wat up.

1 Like

Re: Private Christian Universities: Faith In Deception? by tunapawizzy: 5:21pm On May 15, 2012
solaceguy: Long write-up....did'nt care to read it
I went to RUN, made a 1st class (thank God, cos it was difficult), I'm happy i attended RUN...btw i aced my jamb n other international exams i have done

Off point
Re: Private Christian Universities: Faith In Deception? by mykejones(m): 5:25pm On May 15, 2012
Frendys: Your intention is wrong and short sighted. If at this stage of your life you have become articulate at undermining your institution openly then you will never see good in anyone or anything else. You are doomed because you have no sense of gratitude and value. Public institutions are no different or better.
You may come to realize later in life that the moral the institution wants you to imbibe will be a bonus to your life. Two of my family members who graduated from CU are highly placed in the US and Britain respectively and they value the foundation of Christian moral they received while in CU. And they are godly. No doubt every institution has its drawback.
The other OP “Muskeeto” that ‘knows all’ about his church’s finances, I only have pity for you. You can’t break the Church of Jesus Christ…you will be broken instead.
Please realize that the money for developing and maintaining the school comes from the tithes, donations and offerings of the church members and not from the federal government purse!
Every great institution has a humble beginning: A wise son will make his father proud.
You are a disgrace to freedom of speech.
If you can't use yours,why wld u hold such grievance to someone who did?
What's bad in condemin what he,the op deemed fit?
Abegi park wel jare
Re: Private Christian Universities: Faith In Deception? by hotwax: 5:35pm On May 15, 2012
Frendys: Your intention is wrong and short sighted. If at this stage of your life you have become articulate at undermining your institution openly then you will never see good in anyone or anything else. You are doomed because you have no sense of gratitude and value. Public institutions are no different or better.
You are a disgrace to freedom of speech.
If you can't use yours,why wld u hold such grievance to someone who did?
What's bad in condemin what he,the op deemed fit?
Abegi park wel jare
critisizing an article is also a freedom of speech. Or what do you mean ?
Re: Private Christian Universities: Faith In Deception? by Nobody: 5:40pm On May 15, 2012
Absolutely On point brother !
Re: Private Christian Universities: Faith In Deception? by Nobody: 5:46pm On May 15, 2012
O wise man, how is this different from what I posted? Did I say the federal government donates/sponsors the church. Break the Church of Jesus CHrist? The Church of Jesus Christ was broken the day he died. What we have now is Church of rascals, scams and greedy men.. and those whom choose to be deceived will keep on being deceived.
And btw, that your family members have jobs in the US, is not because they went to Covenant, but probably because they're good.. Students who can't afford such etragavant school fees still get good placements. But of course, you WINNERS members know how to hype little accomplishments.. HIGHLY placed my asss..
Re: Private Christian Universities: Faith In Deception? by deseg: 5:49pm On May 15, 2012
Hello, anonymous reporter. Firstly, may I ask why you hid your identity if you are not afraid of opposition(s).

We cannot dispute the fact that the University environment is a supposed to be a place where people are meant to develop a sense of responsibility and independency but have you observed that by the time you try to experience some things(whereby you would have learnt from those who have gone through the process already) for yourself, so much damage would have been made at the end of the day, time wasted, devalued reputation and so on. Also, the school (RUN) has got it flaws but it's not for you- Mr Anonymous- to now open up the weakness or weaknesses of a person, group or authority as if you do not have your flaws.

Your write-up is a long one so I might not be able to address every issue but let me quickly establish two key issues:

1. Before any student or parent send their children to a christian private University, they already have an idea of what obtains in such a place.

2. Every power is ordained of God and God instructs to obey our leaders and all those who are in authority. So, grumbling at this point is only an indirect way of bringing curses on yourself and if you desire to be free as a bird as I emvisage that you want to be; you can leave the school (RUN).

My final advice for you is that if you would not obey the authority under which you operate, live, study, e.t.c; back out of such group or society in order to stop raining curses on yourself.

A. Ajao.

1 Like

Re: Private Christian Universities: Faith In Deception? by Nobody: 5:54pm On May 15, 2012
Jjj
Re: Private Christian Universities: Faith In Deception? by poj(m): 6:09pm On May 15, 2012
Shinor:
Your style of writing is a disgrace to whichever Federal university you attended and probably the reason why people like the guy who wrote the article will go to a private university despite all the attendant problems. At least bad English isn't one of them.
mr man m always careful not 2 join issues with anybody on ds forum, for i mind my posts. Can u pls tell m wht s wrong in my style of writin mr lecturer? Obviously u ve nt made any sound contribution to d topic of discussion. Pls grow up, wnt like to be insultive
Re: Private Christian Universities: Faith In Deception? by Nobody: 6:13pm On May 15, 2012
Hmmm... Well I am a graduate of Redeemer's University, so I feel constrained to comment on this issue.

1. I must admit that some of the problems highlighted by the original writer of the article are true. There are issues with some of the hostels, as well as the clinic. However, these problems are traceable to the fact that the school is still located in the camp (we haven't moved to our permanent site yet) and as such we are still dependent on existing facilities WHICH ARE OWNED BY THE CAMP AUTHORITIES. Most of the issues relating to the facilities will be settled by the time we move over to our permanent site, which is currently under construction.

2. As for the compulsory services, well what do you expect from a Christian university? I'm not saying that students shouldn't be treated with dignity, but its important to note that one of the cardinal objectives of the university is to raise God-fearing individuals who will be a force for good in the outside world. If that involves making each student attend service compulsorily in order to inculcate godly values while in school, so be it. I am proud to say that what I went through during my time there has made my life much better. Indeed my social life witnessed a dramatic improvement, contrary to what one might believe by reading the write-up. I am also proud to say that I have done well outside the school: I qualified as a chartered accountant soon after graduation and I now work in one of the big 4 accounting firms. I don't mean to blow my trumpet, but I just want to highlight the fact that RUN has produced people of sound character who have made significant achievements less than three years after the first set of graduates emerged. The key is letting the system go through you.

3. As for those outrageous claims about the G.O's wife, the C.S.O. and the immediate past VC, the onus is on the writer to provide proof to back his assertion, or else those claims are to be taken with a pinch of salt.

4. Banning BBs is a good idea: Pray tell, what does an undergraduate, who has been sent to school to study, need with a Black Berry? With the exception of social networks and unprofitable websites, what else does an average student do with his/her bb? Generally, a bb is nothing but a distraction for such young minds who should be preoccupied with academics.

5. As for the new VC, I haven't met him, so I can't comment on his issue. However, calling him a "clown" and "buffoon" is completely uncalled for. The writer probably just doesn't like the sight of the man.

6. I will sit on the fence with regard to the fees thingy because while I share the sentiments of those who believe that the fees should be made more affordable, we should not forget that running a university is an extremely capital-intensive business, and with a student population of less than 7,000 RUN needs to compensate for such low numbers by charging high fees. Even the contributions from the church mostly go towards the construction of the permanent site. From my interaction with some school officials while I was there, I found out that the school is still making a loss, even with the high fees. I am optimistic, however, that the situation with the fees will improve once RUN moves to her permanent site.

Finally, permit me to conclude that no one on the outside can really make a fair assessment of the situation without hearing an official response from RUN. So let's not be quick to jump into conclusions. Some of us even had a preconceived opinion of private Christian universities in general before this article was written. I believe an official response will be made. Let's hear the other side of the story and get a balanced report before we pass judgement.

My two cents.

2 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Full Text Of President Buhari’s Eid-el-Fitr Message / The Rosicrucian Order And Its Multiple Lies / Religious Groups, Leaders To Buhari: Nigerians Are Hungry

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 75
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.