Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,239 members, 7,818,814 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 05:34 AM

Capital Punishment: The Best Way to curb crime in Nigeria - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Capital Punishment: The Best Way to curb crime in Nigeria (10771 Views)

RRS Police Deploys Surveillance Drones To Monitor Crime In Lagos (Photos) / Adamawa To Spend N200 Million On Prayer Warriors, Vigilante To Curb Boko Haram / 'Tinubu Was Never Arrested Nor Convicted Of Any Crime In Usa' (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Capital Punishment: The Best Way to curb crime in Nigeria by Afam4eva(m): 5:22pm On May 17, 2012
As we all know, corruption, armed robbery, cheating, bribery have all become a culture in Nigeria and it is practiced by majority of Nigerians and whenever i hear people say that Nigeria will get better, i'm kind of lost as to how that will happen since those that are supposed to effect change are also guilty of these crimes. But let's assume, that, by the a special intervention, Nigeria gets better, what is going to happen to the millions of people that have swam in the ocean of corruption that it has become a hobby for them. What will happen to the die-hard armed robbers that will continue the only trade they know since they were not introduced to something else in the early years of their lives. What will happen to the average Nigeria that sees bribery as a religion that must be strictly adhered to in order to go places. How are we going to change the way we behave, live and the way we treat each other? That's why i recommend that the government introduces capital punishment for anyone found guilty of curruption, armed robbery etc. That way we can curb this menace in our society because it seems no matter how long you catch a criminal in Nigeria, when he's out of jail, he goes back to his vomit. What do you guys think?
Re: Capital Punishment: The Best Way to curb crime in Nigeria by laykhorn(m): 5:50pm On May 17, 2012
The best way is Shariah law. By the time we cut hands, legs and flog people 100 strokes in the public. Things wuld definitely change but I see no other way shaaa.... LOLs

1 Like

Re: Capital Punishment: The Best Way to curb crime in Nigeria by Nobody: 5:59pm On May 17, 2012
afam4eva: As we all know, corruption, armed robbery, cheating, bribery have all become a culture in Nigeria and it is practiced by majority of Nigerians and whenever i hear people say that Nigeria will get better, i'm kind of lost as to how that will happen since those that are supposed to effect change are also guilty of these crimes. But let's assume, that, by the a special intervention, Nigeria gets better, what is going to happen to the millions of people that have swam in the ocean of corruption that it has become a hobby for them. What will happen to the die-hard armed robbers that will continue the only trade they know since they were not introduced to something else in the early years of their lives. What will happen to the average Nigeria that sees bribery as a religion that must be strictly adhered to in order to go places. How are we going to change the way we behave, live and the way we treat each other? That's why i recommend that the government introduces capital punishment for anyone found guilty of curruption, armed robbery etc. That way we can curb this menace in our society because it seems no matter how long you catch a criminal in Nigeria, when he's out of jail, he goes back to his vomit. What do you guys think?

The best way to cut crime is to enforce existing laws. Simple.

1 Like

Re: Capital Punishment: The Best Way to curb crime in Nigeria by cashmentor(m): 6:31pm On May 17, 2012
laykhorn: The best way is Shariah law. By the time we cut hands, legs and flog people 100 strokes in the public. Things wuld definitely change but I see no other way shaaa.... LOLs
wipe that Poo.... How many past northern gov have been probed with sharia law? They only use it on the poor and helpless! The best and only way to curb corruption in Nig, is to begin from the Family, the Bedrock of the society! An average Nigerian is born corrupt, brutish, selfish and dangerous! Our society promotes evil and corruption! Even the Church are not helping matters, encouraging youths to pursue wealth and material gains rather than societal values and dignity! And for these jorney, u and i, everyOne has got a part to play, especialy the Parents!

3 Likes

Re: Capital Punishment: The Best Way to curb crime in Nigeria by Afam4eva(m): 6:33pm On May 17, 2012
cashmentor: wipe that Poo.... How many past northern gov have been probed with sharia law? They only use it on the poor and helpless! The best and only way to curb corruption in Nig, is to begin from the Family, the Bedrock of the society! An average Nigerian is born corrupt, brutish, selfish and dangerous! Our society promotes evil and corruption! Even the Church are not helping matters, encouraging youths to pursue wealth and material gains rather than societal values and dignity! And for these jorney, u and i, everyOne has got a part to play, especialy the Parents!
You're right though. Apart from having good laws and punishment for offenders, we also need strong institution with the will to prosecute offender no matter how highly placed.
Re: Capital Punishment: The Best Way to curb crime in Nigeria by cashmentor(m): 6:35pm On May 17, 2012
eGuerrilla:

the best and ONLY way to cut crime, corruption is to Bulldoze PDP, simple!

1 Like

Re: Capital Punishment: The Best Way to curb crime in Nigeria by Afam4eva(m): 6:42pm On May 17, 2012
cashmentor: the best and ONLY way to cut crime, corruption is to Bulldoze PDP, simple!
Are you insinuating that there was no crime and everything was rosy before 1999?
Re: Capital Punishment: The Best Way to curb crime in Nigeria by Nobody: 6:44pm On May 17, 2012
laykhorn: The best way is Shariah law. By the time we cut hands, legs and flog people 100 strokes in the public. Things wuld definitely change but I see no other way shaaa.... LOLs

You're a Northerner, aren't you?
Keep your heinous crime up North. Aiight.

@afam4eva
Capital punishment has NOT shown any SIGNIFICANT change on crime activities in nations where such law exists.
I doubt Nigeria will be any different.
Re: Capital Punishment: The Best Way to curb crime in Nigeria by cashmentor(m): 6:58pm On May 17, 2012
afam4eva:
Are you insinuating that there was no crime and everything was rosy before 1999?
it is simple maths! Just compare both periods! Economicaly, militarily, Police-cialy, Cup of Garricaly, Fuelicialy, in short everythingcialy! Yes, there was crime, i agree, buh com'on man: the diff is very wide! The economy was not as bad and roten as it is today for the Average man out there.... Nigerians were not ok with the gov of then, buh, they were content and happy, hence less Crimes!
Re: Capital Punishment: The Best Way to curb crime in Nigeria by Afam4eva(m): 8:32am On May 18, 2012
A change of political party will not change our woes.
Re: Capital Punishment: The Best Way to curb crime in Nigeria by godello: 8:42am On May 18, 2012
CAPITAL PUNISHMENT is the best option.
Re: Capital Punishment: The Best Way to curb crime in Nigeria by AjanleKoko: 9:10am On May 18, 2012
It's not really about the punishment . . . though capital punishment for henious crimes is already in place. For armed robbers, though, not for drug business and corruption. To talk about prosecuting corruption in Nigeria is kind of pointless, for obvious reasons. The entirety of the ruling class is hopelessly corrupt.
Re: Capital Punishment: The Best Way to curb crime in Nigeria by Nobody: 9:42am On May 18, 2012
eGuerrilla:

which existing laws ? You mean the ones that will send Bode George to 2 years imprisonment,send cecelia to 6 months or the one that will free Ibori that he has no case to answer but will be quick to send a poor man to life sentence ? Show me the existing laws that have dispensed equal justice irrespective of class stratification ? I'm an advocate of capital punishment espcially for the corrput leaders and if killing them is what we need to bring sanity to Nigeria,then we should enforce it.
The so called existing laws are made and interpreted by the same corrupt leaders.Nigeria need a new order for a complete change to happen.Let the punishment starts from jonathan and you will see how corruption will reduce drastically.We have seen it in china and take a look at where china is today economically and politically while swaggerless giant of Africa is nowhere in history.We need to cut the hands they use in stealing our money !
Re: Capital Punishment: The Best Way to curb crime in Nigeria by laykhorn(m): 3:27pm On May 18, 2012
*Ileke-IdI:

You're a Northerner, aren't you?
Keep your heinous crime up North. Aiight.

@afam4eva
Capital punishment has NOT shown any SIGNIFICANT change on crime activities in nations where such law exists.
I doubt Nigeria will be any different.
check out bluetooth's post, it perfectly explains what i mean. Nd i've got no iota of a northerner in me. I'm jes telin us to take the concept of the law nt islam
@bluetooth, u're mouthed
Re: Capital Punishment: The Best Way to curb crime in Nigeria by Afam4eva(m): 3:32pm On May 18, 2012
AjanleKoko: It's not really about the punishment . . . though capital punishment for henious crimes is already in place. For armed robbers, though, not for drug business and corruption. To talk about prosecuting corruption in Nigeria is kind of pointless, for obvious reasons. The entirety of the ruling class is hopelessly corrupt.
These crimes should all carry capital punishment because they're indirectly responsible for the deaths of millions of people. How's armed robbery worse than corruption?
Re: Capital Punishment: The Best Way to curb crime in Nigeria by OkijaPriest: 4:01pm On May 18, 2012
eGuerrilla:

I love you men!! (NO HOMO)

Thats it!! We have laws on ground, however stupid some of them might be, they are still laws nonetheles.. If we could enforce 85% of the laws in the country, corruption would be drastically reduced by 85% as well... Thats why a politician can steal, get caught, tried and would end up on house arrest with a very useless jail time.. But a child that stole 1 packet of Noodles to quench his hunger would be in jail for 10 years awaiting trial..

In the land of Lawlessness, corruption becomes a way of life.

Also, I know a certain tribe that is also championing corruption in Nigeria!! They are mostly located in the Western part of Nigeria!
Re: Capital Punishment: The Best Way to curb crime in Nigeria by london2lasgidi(m): 4:02pm On May 18, 2012
Lol @the thread.

Then, 80% would be sentenced to death. grin

Capital punishment for utterly corrupt politicians, YES.. But definitely not for crime.
Re: Capital Punishment: The Best Way to curb crime in Nigeria by AjanleKoko: 4:05pm On May 18, 2012
afam4eva:
These crimes should all carry capital punishment because they're indirectly responsible for the deaths of millions of people. How's armed robbery worse than corruption?

I didn't say armed robbery is worse than corruption. I just said, we have some forms of capital punishment in place already.
But my point is, the whole of Nigeria is hopelessly corrupt, so I doubt there can ever be any serious penalty for looting in this country.
Re: Capital Punishment: The Best Way to curb crime in Nigeria by Afam4eva(m): 4:05pm On May 18, 2012
london2lasgidi: Lol @the thread.

Then, 80% would be sentenced to death. grin

Capital punishment for utterly corrupt politicians, YES.. But definitely not for crime.
We can start from somewhere but we need to introduce stringent measures for petty crimes.
Re: Capital Punishment: The Best Way to curb crime in Nigeria by aljharem(m): 4:06pm On May 18, 2012
Afam and his extreme views grin grin grin grin coming back to comment
Re: Capital Punishment: The Best Way to curb crime in Nigeria by Nobody: 4:11pm On May 18, 2012
Can you show me 1 Nigerian that's not criminal minded ?
Re: Capital Punishment: The Best Way to curb crime in Nigeria by djeezy(m): 4:13pm On May 18, 2012
Incapacitation is also good. In the
context of sentencing
philosophy refers to the
effect of a sentence in
terms of positively
preventing (rather than
merely deterring) future
offending.
Imprisonment
incapacitates the prisoner
by physically removing
them from the society
against which they are
deemed to have offended. But sometimes imprisonment don't break them that brings me to the one infra.
*Long term imprisonment(life)
with the intention to
incapacitate is often used
by criminal justice systems
against habitual criminals
who recidivate. E.g
Cutting off a hand of a
thief is also an example;
this acts to prevent further
thefts in a drastic manner,
in addition to it having a
perceived deterrent effect
on others.
Imagine Bank-Ole's hands being cut off. Lmao! Capital punishment is good for detterence.
Re: Capital Punishment: The Best Way to curb crime in Nigeria by Afam4eva(m): 4:16pm On May 18, 2012
djeezy: Incapacitation is also good. In the
Imagine Bank-Ole's hands being cut off. Lmao! Capital punishment is good for detterence.

That's the whole point. Imagine what other politicians will do after bankole's hand or penis has been cut off. Everybody go shape up.
Re: Capital Punishment: The Best Way to curb crime in Nigeria by djeezy(m): 4:22pm On May 18, 2012
afam4eva:

That's the whole point. Imagine what other politicians will do after bankole's hand or penis has been cut off. Everybody go shape up.
Lol, do you think the law makers will enact it? That bill won't go far. They know it would be suicidal to them.
Re: Capital Punishment: The Best Way to curb crime in Nigeria by samcigar(m): 4:22pm On May 18, 2012
it is impossible using cash as pernalty for such a crime.
Re: Capital Punishment: The Best Way to curb crime in Nigeria by bknight: 4:37pm On May 18, 2012
In d case of murder, what happens if an innocent man is sent to d gallows?
Re: Capital Punishment: The Best Way to curb crime in Nigeria by snookies(f): 4:52pm On May 18, 2012
If this is done one would find out that its only the poor indigent lower class citizens who may be stole 5k that would be affected, the government cretins that are really ruining our lives with Their wanton stealing would still get away Scot free and the drug pushers and armed robbers would still pay their way out of detention as usual because the judicial system and the police force are seriously compromised.
First things first is to ensure rule of law is maintained and the judicial system OVERHAULED! Otherwise capital punishment would still not have the desired effect.
Re: Capital Punishment: The Best Way to curb crime in Nigeria by Afam4eva(m): 4:52pm On May 18, 2012
bknight: In d case of murder, what happens if an innocent man is sent to d gallows?
Even in America and the developed world, guilty people are unknowingly sent to the gallows. That's why extensive investigations have to be done to ascertain that someone is guilty.
Re: Capital Punishment: The Best Way to curb crime in Nigeria by timpaker(m): 4:54pm On May 18, 2012
who would wanna advocate capital punishment when he/she knows that he/she would be caught up in his/her own 'advocations'?
I believe we have the existing laws, but the institutions that are responsible for implementing and executing these laws needs to be looked into. I also believe that some people have the sincerity to end corruption but the Judges, Lawyers and Police (been the ones to enforce the laws) are still lurking in the messed up society they've found themselves.
Either way, crime will still be massaged!
Re: Capital Punishment: The Best Way to curb crime in Nigeria by Onlytruth(m): 5:07pm On May 18, 2012
afam4eva:
Even in America and the developed world, guiltyinnocent people are unknowingly sent to the gallows. That's why extensive investigations have to be done to ascertain that someone is guilty.

There is no human system that can determine guilt 100% ALL THE TIME.
It is humanly impossible.
Those who advocate death penalty for ANY crime at all are not usually deep and reflective about it. They are mainly vengeful and nothing more. When you conduct a DEEP and REFLECTIVE thought about it, you would find that some of the most peaceful countries in the world are the ones without death penalty.
I love the USA, and pray that one day the system would drop this archaic view of justice. The capital punishment views here have not been supported by the fact that it was recently discovered that an innocent man was executed in Texas. cry
Only God has the right to take life. Man can do so only in WARS. cool
And when we evolve past war, NO HUMAN SHOULD BE ALLOWED TO TAKE ANOTHER'S LIFE. Period.

Here I stand! cool cool cool
Re: Capital Punishment: The Best Way to curb crime in Nigeria by Afam4eva(m): 5:13pm On May 18, 2012
Onlytruth:
There is no human system that can determine guilt 100% ALL THE TIME.

It is humanly impossible.
Of course there's bound to be mistakes. It can't be 100% effective.

Onlytruth:
Those who advocate death penalty for ANY crime at all are not usually deep and reflective about it. They are mainly vengeful and nothing more. When you conduct a DEEP and REFLECTIVE thought about it, you would find that some of the most peaceful countries in the world are the ones without death penalty.
I love the USA, and pray that one day the system would drop this archaic view of justice. The capital punishment views here have not been supported by the fact that it was recently discovered that an innocent man was executed in Texas. cry
Only God has the right to take life. Man can do so only in WARS. cool
And when we evolve past war, NO HUMAN SHOULD BE ALLOWED TO TAKE ANOTHER'S LIFE. Period.

Here I stand! cool cool cool
You may be right about the bolded but if you conduct further research on these countries you'll realize that they are countries with strong morals from the onset and it has been passed down from generations to generations. Same cannot be said about Nigeria. Things are getting out of hand and we need extreme measures in other to curb them.
Re: Capital Punishment: The Best Way to curb crime in Nigeria by Ibomade1: 5:17pm On May 18, 2012
To the best of my knowledge, Nigeria Police Force have been carrying out extrajudicial killings for long.

With the level of ineptitude that they display loads of innocent folks will meet their maker before their due time.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Can The Igbo Play Opposition In Nigeria? / Tasi’u Zango Emerges Speaker Of Katsina State House Of Assembly / Ekiti State Receives 3.9 Billion, Fayemi To Start Paying Outanding Salaries

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 54
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.